Runner 4

Run to You

Jung Eunji. That’s her name. If you think that she’s Youngjae sunbae’s girlfriend, yes you’re right. She is. Youngjae sunbae sees me then waves me to come near. He introduces us. She smiles and greets me kindly. Then Eunji sunbae tells me that they’re dating for 1 year now. Even though they attend different school, they can maintain their relationship well.

“So, how is Youngjae? Doesn’t he often flatter himself about being handsome?”. Eunji sunbae asks me while eyeing him.

I just smile awkwardly as I don’t know how to react. “Ah, It-It’s not that bad… Eunji sunbae”. I say and coincidentally see their hands clasp together. I feel a pangs in my heart. Does that mean I like him like what Inyoung says to me? I drift my eyes to Inyoung and I can see her pity eyes at me. Maybe, she also doesn’t know what to do, just like me. I give her a reassurance smile, trying to tell her that it’s okay with me? Is it?

“Just call me unni, Boram-ah, I’m thankful that you can be friend with him since he’s difficult to be friends with…”. She smiles warmly at me.

“Hey, hey, hey, I’m here”. He gives her a look. She teasingly sticks out her tongue at him. I don’t know if I could be here for too long. The attention and loving they show off is a proof that they’re in a good relationship. Who am I who dared to interfere with their relationship?

“How’s your legs? Still hurts?”

I can see her worried eyes at him. Then I see Youngjae sunbae just shrugs his shoulders, “It’s okay, don’t worry…”

She gives him a playful push, “Ya, of course I have to be worried, because of me you did that…”.

I quickly look up at him. What does she mean?

“What do you mean?” Inyoung says instead of me. She could read my mind, I guess.

“He got into accident when he tried to save me from a car’s accident. He pushed me and made him hit the car hard.” Eunji unni pauses for a while, “It just… so quick that I barely realize everything…”

Inyoung and I gasp of what we’re hearing but I see Youngjae sunbae tenses as what Eunji unni talks about. I feel an awkward atmosphere suddenly. Like this is not the right place to talk to besides I just saw his smiles then but now all I can see is his sad and hurt face, why?

I take Inyoung’s hand then quickly say, “Eunji unnie, Inyoung and I have some homework to do. I guess we can talk more later. Bye Eunji unni and Youngjae sunbae”. I bow then drag Inyoung go as far as I can.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hey, have you heard that Youngjae sunbae is one of our school’s student who will participate in the inter-school match for running?” Inyoung says in one go without stopping the words.

I glance at her lazily. “No”

As our encounter two days ago with Eunji and Youngjae sunbae, Inyoung and I haven’t talked about it again. I think she won’t say anything about it if I don’t say in the first place and to add this, I haven’t met Youngjae sunbae too. I also haven’t gone to the dark room to print the photos that I took before to see the result. I still am not ready yet.

Inyoung nudges my arm, “Ya, what’s with the answer?”. I don’t give her any reply as I shift my eyes out to the window.

“I’m sorry okay, if I tease you too much for a few days ago. I won’t do it again… I promise” she says still nudges my arm.

I sigh, knowing that what I feel like now, it’s not her fault. “It’s not that, it just…”. I can’t say anything as I know well my place now.

“Boram-ie, it’s not the end of the world, yet. There’s still many fish in the sea. Come on, now get up and go to the canteen with me”.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Inyoung-ah, can we join you?”

As I look up, my eyes widen. The only person whom I wants to avoid now is standing in front of me. Jaebum and Youngjae sunbae come to our table while bringing their own food.

“Hey, it’s heavy you know?” Jaebum sunbae says again and glances to his tray which is full with food.

“Ah… yes, o-of course, sunbae” Inyoung says while shifting her seat to make Jaebum sunbae sits beside her meanwhile Youngjae sunbae smiles at me and I know this is gonna hard to me to avoid him.

We’re eating in silence. When I say we, that’s Youngjae sunbae and I, meanwhile Jaebum sunbae and Inyoung talk friendly. I glance as I see Inyoung’s shy smile at Jaebum sunbae. I think I know now the way to have revenge at her!

“Sorry for interrupting you, though” Youngjae sunbae breaks our silence, then he whispers, “I just want to help him”

I quickly look at him, “Do you mean Jaebum sunbae…”

Youngjae sunbae nodded while drinking his chocolate milk, “Bingo”

I chuckle and I see him chuckles too. “How about the result? Have you printed?”

“Huh?”

“The photos… I think your photography class has a dark room too, right?”

“Ah, it’s… umm, there are some other students who is using the room so I haven’t printed them..” I smile awkwardly. I know, I lie to him.

To change the topics, I say after remember what Inyoung said to me before, “I’ve heard that you’ll participate in the inter-school match for running, Congrats sunbae!”. I give him a smile.

I see him smile too, “Thank you. I think at first I won’t have the chance to join”

“Hey, it won’t be sunbae, you have worked really hard, you know… and I know you’ll make it” then I give him my fist, “Fighting!”

He chuckles at my antics. I see Inyoung gives me a look.

“You should come to the field after class over, Boram, Youngjae will have a practice for the match” Jaebum sunbae suddenly join our conversation.

“Huh? Me?” I point at myself being dumbfounded.

Youngjae sunbae turns his head to me, “Can you?”

“Uh, I-“

“Yes, of course she will go..” Inyoung says quickly and gives me a smirk. Uh, Oh, I think she will break her previous promise to me!