chapter 5

The blind king

 

 

       when Sam maek arrive at the border his teacher pa-o was there. passing back an forth. when he saw the prince, he sigh with relief. " my prince, where were you? why did you leave"

" calm down, i was just taking a walk"

" a walk? do you know how dangerous it is. and not to mention anyone can kidnap you without protection"

the prince frown " but they didn't"

pa-o sigh, the prince smiling showed him, the flower. " look teacher, i bought the flower to make mother well again"

"where did you get this?"

" the other side"

when the prince said this pa-o knit his brow " why would you go there, you know it's forbidden. your father will have my head, if he finds out."

" but what is so bad about the other side, everyone was nice"

pa-o sigh " that's not the point. the people their are very savage, please promise me you won't go there anymore."

the prince frown " i won't guarantee that i won't go there, so i will have to decline your request"

" my prince"

" i'm sorry teacher pa-o , but i made a declaration already, which i will keep"

his teacher says fine, " but make sure your mother doesn't find out, if she does she will", pa-o shiver just thinking about what she might do.the prince raise a brow " she will what teacher?"

"never mind, come let's go"

 

and so sam maek and pa-o head to the castle. when they arrived, sam maek excitedly ran to his mother room. just when he was about to knock he heard a shout. " KIM JI SOO!" the king says

sam maek wonder what's going on. he heard the king say something about him, which got him curious. he didn't want to ears drop, but he wanted to know why his father was yelling. he wonder if his father found out about him crossing the border and is blaming his mother. he hope that's not the case.

the king looking at ji soo asks her why she keeps neglecting her son. he says why won't she stop being stubborn and see him. ji soo stops brushing her hair and glares at the king " that boy doesn't exist to me. i told you to kill him, but you denied my request. i cannot be a mother to the prince because he is blind."

the king says " think how ever you like but sam maek will be silla new hope. his people will be loyal to him, and he will be loyal to them. his blindness is his strength. and his senses will be more sharp with training. by you neglecting him, you will be known as the shameless women. that's how the people will see it. think about the people of silla and the prince.

ji soo glares " i am thinking about the people, he is weak, his weakness will be silla down fall. that's why i do not approve of him taking the thrown."

the king laugh " you forgetting something my dear niece, that your not the king. your words does not matter."

ji soo knit her brows together, she says in head, i will be just you wait.

sam maek heart broken sadly walks away. pa-o calls his name, but he ignored him. the only thing he could think about was his mother's words repeating over and over. does mother really hate me that much? does that mean this whole time everyone was lying to me about her illness, he thought. he shook his head in denial, no ...mother loves me, i just need to prove to her that i am not weak. that i am worthy to be king, and get her acknowledgement.

and so the prince with a new found determination, close his room.

 

three years later ........

 

  1. celebration was going on. everyone was out cheering. except for pa-o. he was extremely upset because once again the prince had disappeared. " where could he be now" he says searching the palace walls. what he didn't know was, the prince had sneaked out of his room to watch the farewell party. he wasnt dressed formally, no. matter fact he was dressed more casually with his hair down. one would think he was a girl while passing by. See, the celebration was for the king and the prince. they were departing. heading to their long distance cousin palace, in order to negotiate and trade. the king thought it would be a good idea, for the prince to come along, he thought the prince would grow and learn from his teacher there. but the prince had other ideas. he wanted to stay to get closer to the queen. sighing, the prince watch the people happily. just then he heard his name being called. panicking, he quickly run seeing pa-o . he knew if he was caught they would drag him back. he was so busy worrying about getting caught, that he didn't see moo-myung heading the same way. " catch that thief!!" some guards said

Moo Myung curse before jumping on stuff, dodging everything that comes his way. he was irritated because his teacher sold him out. he was hanging with his friend sun woo, when his teacher send him to buy food. their he ended up in a fight with some goons. when he arrives home, he realized, the food dropped. his teacher upset, kicked him out telling him not to come back without food. when he refused, the teacher told the goons where he was hiding , after they asked around for him. he thought it would motivate him to go back and buy another bread. sighing, Moo Myung turn to see them behind. he turn back just in time to bump into the prince. "AH!" they said

Moo Myung open his eyes in wonder. " are you ok?"

"yeah, i'm sorry" he replied

Moo Myung got up before offering to help him. "no, it was mine" he says

he looks at the prince in wonder. the prince feeling eyes on him, felt nervous. " is something wrong?"

"you look familiar"

the prince had a confused face. " your voice is familiar as well. i can't picture it"

Moo Myung scratch his head, thinking very hard. just then he heard a gasp. he raised a brow at the prince. " you're the boy from the other side" he whispers

"we have met, haven't we"

the prince beamed. he was happy to see a familiar face, maybe he can play with him. " DOG-BIRD!!!'

Moo Myung, cursed and grab the prince hand . " come with me" he says

he could hear the goons gaining on them. they made some turns and jump when they saw a stand full of food. when they were sure they were far, the prince was out of breath. moo myung raised a brow " you ok?"

"yeah i just need a minute"

moo myung nods. he turn to see crowd gathered around watching something. " look it's the Hwarang!!" one girl said

"omg, oppa so handsome" another said

a boy with an earring on stood next to them " arnt they amazing"

moo myung asks who they were. the boy says " their the new palace guards to protect the king. i want to join them someday" he said with so much excitement.

" they dont look amazing to me. their just a bunch of clowns"

"what did you say" a stoic boy said

moo myung yawns " their nothin, but clowns with poor skills"

the boy with long hair became angry " its an honor to be apart of them. i am a trainee. " he says

he looks at moo myung and scoff " a rag like yourself wouldn't understand

"HEY!" " don't come for my new friend like that"

the prince turn to the other boy " new friend?"

Soo-ho nod, he glares at Ban-ryu " dont underestimate my new friend. i bet he can kick those hwarang anytime"

Ban-ryu scoff " ok... then i challenge him to a duel"

" me?" moo myung says

see he wasnt really paying attention to their argument, he was hungry in fact. he just so happened to catch ban-ryu pointing at him. the prince tense, he wasnt really expecting this. all he wanted to do was spend his last day at the festival with someone, but now this. he heard his new friend accept, when they mentioned food. he sigh, wondering if he should stop them.

they all turn when they heard a voice " well isn't he something." " why don't we give the crowd a show" a man said

" who are you?" soo-ho says

Ban-ryu glares at soo. " respect teacher Hwa Rang "

" so he' the one in charge of them" soo says

Hwa rang told Ban ryu it was fine. he look at moo myung and the prince. then he looks at soo and ban ryu. he says in head, they have potential to be hwarang warriors, just look at their looks. but do they have the skills, he thought while fanning himself. " come lets see this duel of yours" he says

Ban ryu tense " in front of everyone?"

Hwa rang turn slightly " yes...is there a problem?"

he quickly said no. The prince turn to where he assume moo myung was " are you sure about this? "

" i can't pass out free food" he says now stretching

he look at the prince worried face. he smile, " why are you so worried"

the prince looks down, " i was hoping we spend time having fun"

moo myung tilt his head " you want to spend time with me?... why?"

the prince blush slightly " because we are friends"

" hmm...friends" he thought before smiling " ok....i will win and then we can have fun"

soo woo told them he's their friend too, but moo myung didn't catch that. the prince nod, and told him to hurry up. he watch as moo myung was dragged in front of the crowd, soon followed by ban ryu. soo next to the prince says " who do you think will win"

" i don't know"

"well i hope dog bird wins" he says grinning

" dog bird? why do you call him that"

soo turns to sam maek jong, " you don't know. dog bird is well known in Makmangchon"

" so you know him then"

"yes, but he never acknowledge me, even when i said we are friends many times. he always forget the next day "

The prince didn't like that. he wonder if moo myung will really forget him once he leaves. he was soon snap out of it, when he heard Hwa Rang voice " ladies an gentleman, these two brave young kids will be fighting one another to show theirs skills. the winner will then fight one of the hwarang. surprise, the two look at him.

" now let the show begin"