SCENE #2

A Scene To Remember
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Are you liking it?

 

 

 

Just as promised, the whole teams worked really hard trying to get adapt to this drama-shooting atmosphere.

Every team met a head team leader that had a sufficient experience of shooting dramas and learned from them all the basics, till they were ready by the end of this week.

Then the next week, they held up the banners and spread the news about holding a casting audition for the acting crew of this new drama head by Krystal the casting director.

After my approval and the president’s approval the acting team was checked out from the list.

We held the First script reading at CJ Ilsan Production Studios in Goyang, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea which took place at September 25, 2016.

The chemistry between the two main leads and the humor sense that filled the studio was unfamiliar to me.

I produced various types of movies back at Hollywood. But I never got to work with Korea actors o actresses before. Everything is different.

There isn’t much skin-ship as they have in US movies. They don’t swear and cruse much, which my ears was filled with the past few years.

Romance-Comedy or as they referee to it these days RomCom is my specialty. So I have confidence in this project. But what I feel anxious about, that these two cultures are different, I’m afraid that with my open-minded ideas and directions the viewers will get unattached to it and will ruin this company’s reputation.

So I spent my whole night watching the famous Korean dramas, trying to get the Korean feel from them.

 

Our project goes under the name, “Because of You” it’s about a girl named (Han Jiyeon) lost her mother during an earthquake in 1995 and became an orphan. She is now tired of living and doesn't have much hope. During this time, she meets a young man, (Kim Minhyuk). He came from Spain to receive training at a Designing company. And with coincidence he got to live with her at this sharing house that she got raised at with her adoption father who’s a chef and work just at the ground floor at his Italian restaurant. Han Jiyeon and Kim Minhyuk go together through various incidents that makes Jiyeon to face her life and love it by time and ended up developing feelings for Minhyuk.

It’s a little bit dark and have a sparkle of sadness, but the major scenes include their romance together and funny clips at their sharing house with the old grandpa and the university student that is living with them.

 

I woke up, to find myself covered in a blue blanket which was a stranger to me and my laptop dead in front of me surrounded with scattered popcorn and empty beer cans.

“Ah, I must have dozed off which monitoring the drama last night..” I concluded.

But then looked at the blanket again, “But this..” I smiled as realized its owner’s identity, since I saw him vrooming off with his matte black Lamborghini from the living room’s huge glass window wall.

That was when the reality hit me, “Ah, I’m late!” I cried out, since my house-mate never leaves before 9:00 AM.

 

I entered my department while ironing my Versace Couture Silk Baroque Scarf Print Skirt from a collection of rare vintage skirts straight.

“I’m sorry, I’m late..” I lifted my eyes up to see the whole on-set teams are ready in their places.

“We are ready PD-nim.” Tiffany Hwang announced.

“Then should we go?” The camera operator, Kim Hyunseok.

“Yeah of course..”

Every team had an individual van, so one van for the script supervisor with location manager, set decorator and his assistance.

The other ones for the lighting team, camera team, makeup and stylists and last Tae went in the Mercedes that the company provided for her, driven with a personal chuffer and Hwang manager keeps her accompany.   

 

We arrived to the Han River where we will film the first scene where Han Jiyeon the lead actress loses her mother.

 

The filming went smoothly, and I found no difficulties so far with it. I just made my mind to think of it a movie with so much details and scenes to film and have to end every episode with an excited action and wrap it up with a teaser that may keep the viewers mind think of what is going to happen next and nothing else.

 

The scenes one followed the other, till we finished all the parts of Han Jiyeon’s painful past.

Next was the most anticipated section where Jiyeon and Minhyuk will meet at her sharing house.

 

“Lights ready?” I asked.

“Yes, PD-nim.”

“Camera standby?..”

“Camera standby.”

“PD-nim everything is ready..” the PD assistant Kim Soohyun reported.

“Alright, 1.. 2.. cue!” I called out.

Han Jiyeon walked out from her room after hearing her father calling for her to come downstairs, “What’s wrong father?-” she asked to be cut by watching the man that she bumped into the last night.

“Come and greet our new house-mate..” the father demanded.

That was when I had goosebumps as I got reminded by all these scenes since I’m sure I lived them in reality the last few weeks.

The same scene when I introduced my daughter Choi Mirae to our house-mate.

 

The more scenes we film, the more I feel that this drama is so familiar to the plot of my life.

 

“Tae PD, we’re going to have dinner. Are you going to join us?” Kim Bokjoo asked.

“No, I have to return back home. Have fun and don’t drink much, we have work tomorrow.” They whined, I waved good-bye for them and loaded in my Mercedes.

 

After filming the scenes of the first 6 episodes, I returned back home after handing them to the editing team and sending my own team to have dinner all together as a reward.

 

I put Mirae at bed, and made myself some midnight snacks with a pack of beers.

“Would you like to grab a beer?” I asked my passing house-mate while my eyes fixed on the movie in front of me.

He ignored me and completed his way to his bed room.

I hugged my legs and sipped from my cold beer pitifully, then thought about what made me attached to this man.

From the moment I fell in his arms that day, I felt something I didn’t get to feel in my entire 28 years. I felt as if something inside me got awaken. After that day, I kept thinking about him from time to time. Get reminded by him everywhere I go, feel like I should do something to him, feel like I should stay beside him, but what scares me that this feelings are really brand new to me, but strangely I don’t not like it, actually I kind of like it, no I love it.

I love being with this man, when I never really stayed with him other than that morning when I told him my decision about living together.

I think I should pay a visit to my doctor once again, I’m being strange, and this is not me really. Tae Kim where are you really? Who are you?

My series of thoughts got cut, as I felt really hot and my breath is abnormal.

My eyes then fell on the presence of the hooded man that shifted his weight to rest on the adjacent sofa of mine.

 

He stretched forward grabbing a can of beer.

“Kwon Jiyong.” he said while opening it.

“Excuse me?” I shook my head to focus.

“I’m Kwon Jiyong, I don’t think I introduced myself before.” He stretched an arm, “A music director and producer in CJ E&M.”

“T-Tae Kim,” I shook his hand, “Movie director and produce in CJ E&M too.”

A faint smile was visible to my eyes.

“You smiled.” I blunted out.

“W-What?” he lifted his eyes to meet my shocked one.

“I’m s-sorry,” I shook my head, “I have the habit of saying out my thoughts loudly unknowingly.”

He just nodded.

 

With a moment of silence and just staring at the TV screen. I felt really pressured and need to start a chat but never knew how or about what.

“Who do you like?” I asked.

He choked while drinking his second can of beer.

“E-Excuse me?”

Then I digest what my question was, “I-I’m sorry, I meant who you like from singers?” I said while messing my hair in embarrassment.

“Just, I don’t classify music on who sing it.” he bent forward and clasped his fingers around the beer’s can. “Music is beautiful when it touches something inside you and left some impact on you after hearing it, as if someone is narrating your own story.” he looked at me, “Music isn’t just a melody that we create and words that we write. It’s a medication, and we’re the doctors that prescribe it to heal the world.”

I chuckled sarcastically at how he just described himself, “What?”

“The people that broke up, the people that lost their parents or a close friend, who would heal them?” he lock his gaze with me after resting his back again at the sofa. “Do you think that low of music?”

“No.” I shook my head, “I like music too, I survived couple of times because of it. So I know what you meant with your words and you’re right Mr. Kwon.”

He sipped the last drops of his can and stood up, “Nice to talk with you Mrs. Kim.” He said taking his empty beer cans heading toward the kitchen.

“Tae would be better.” I called out.

“Good night Tae.”

With that three words I melted in my place. I couldn’t move an inch neither could think about anything else than repeating these three words in my mind again and again.

“Good” and “Night” and “Tae” are my favorite words from this day on.

 

 

The next night, we were shooting the last scene where Minhyuk and Jiyeon meet up at a basement café where Jiyeon is a part-timer there.

“Alright, cut!” I announced.

“You worked all hard~” those encouraging and cheering words came out as always, which makes me smile and love to work here more than overseas at Hollywood.

A loud noise came out from the café’s kitchen.

“W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter