Group project

The Others
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Chan!" Jisoo screamed, getting up as fast as possible from where he had fallen to the floor. He could only see the profile of the two Forcebearers whose bodies were interlocked in an almost intimate way - Yugyeom's hands placed flat on the Guardian's chest and Chan holding the Warrior's arms, their faces only inches apart. Jackson was laughing behind the Wielder but his laughter held no happiness, only cold amusement.

Jisoo didn't dare to look away, afraid to see his Guardian crumble to the ground, shaking in agony - but Yugyeom seemed to be playing with his victim, prolonging the anticipation for the final blow.

Jackson clearly did not like that. "Come on, finish up. I gotta get to class," he said after a few more seconds of standstill, annoyance dripping from his voice.

"I... I can't." Yugyeom's incredulous statement sounded more like a question and Jisoo watched with bated breath as a look of horror overtook the Warrior's face. His body had stopped sparking, there was not even a hint of electricity visible around him anymore.

"What the hell do you mean, 'you can't'?!" Jackson was fuming by now, perceiving his Warrior's helplessness as disobedience.

Yugyeom turned even paler at his Wielder's wrath and Jisoo's heart went out to the young Forcebearer even though he had just tried to harm his Bonded. "My ability, it's not working."

At his words, Chan finally seemed to snap out of whatever trance he had been in. A cruel grin that Jisoo had never seen on him before spread over his face. Chan didn't look like the young, innocent boy anymore, who had happily praised his scrambled eggs and who had cried bitter tears because his family had left him; his eyes held a spark of something dark that had been released deep within.

Jisoo was scared. For Yugyeom's sake, who had simply followed Jackson's orders, and for Chan's, who had seemingly lost himself in a rush of adrenaline.

"Let's finish this," the Guardian said, the strange grin still on his lips as he retracted his arm to deliver a punch.

"Goddamnit, just ing knock the shrimp out then!" Jackson shouted, his face an angry red.

"Chan, stop!" Jisoo cried at the same time, desperately trying to reach his Forcebearer - but it was too late. Chan's fist crashed into Yugyeom's jaw with a sickening sound and the Warrior stumbled backward, against the wall of the hallway, barely able to stand and his eyes unfocused. The young Guardian snickered and stalked towards him while shaking out his hand with the clear intent of ending the match.

But thin arms wrapped around his chest from behind, stopping him mid-step. "Chan, that's enough," Jisoo said firmly, his voice holding enough authority to make the younger obey immediately. "Stay back, I'm going to sort this out." Jisoo stepped around his Forcebearer and worriedly walked over to Yugyeom who still looked dazed, dark red splotches blooming on his jaw.

"Hands off, the useless one is mine," came the arrogant voice of Jackson from behind.

Hot anger flared up inside Jisoo's chest and he turned around to face the other Wielder. "Useless?! What the heck, Jackson! You're the one who forced him to fight and look at the state he's in now!"

Jackson sauntered over to his Bonded and took a short look at his already bruising face. "He's looked worse," he dismissed with a shrug before he turned his hungry gaze towards Chan who still stood motionlessly where Jisoo had left him. "Sooo... You scored yourself one of the Others, huh? And with a nullification-ability, good catch. I underestimated him because he's tiny but I won't make that mistake again." He grinned. "But you're kinda weak, y'know. Think you can stop him from getting taken?"

"I'll try my best," Jisoo replied coldly, his eyes never leaving Jackson while he moved in front of Chan who by now looked a bit more like himself again.

"The little squirt will only bring problems. Y'know, you could get yourself a low-ranking Warrior instead, then you wouldn't have any worries anymore. Would you hand him over if I asked you nicely?" Jackson proposed with an overly sweet smile, taking a daring step in Jisoo's direction.

"Forcebearers are not pets, Jackson," Jisoo said with a dark scowl while Chan moved closer to him and leaned into his side, interlacing their fingers.

Jackson scoffed. "You sure? Hell, he behaves like a puppy right now. Disgusting."

Jisoo felt Chan stiffen at those words and he squeezed his hand before calmly closing the gap that separated him from Jackson.

Wham.

Jisoo's palm burned from the force he had used but the red imprint on the other Wielder's face was well worth it. "You should bring Yugyeom to the infirmary now, he might have a concussion," Jisoo said before walking away, his hand once again interlocked with Chan's - leaving behind a dumb-founded Jackson cradling his cheek.

 

For the second time in two days, Jisoo had fled into the library before the start of his afternoon class but this time he had brought along Chan who was still rather quiet. Hiding in the corner furthest away from the librarian, he sat the younger on a chair and kneeled in front of him. "Chan, can you hear me? Are you okay?" he asked, concern lacing his voice.

The Guardian's eyes had lost their cold sparkle and he only looked exhausted now, exhausted and incredibly young. "Hyung... What's happening to me?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter