Snippet: 165

The Others
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo quietly closed the door behind him and leaned against it with a heavy sigh.

It had happened again. For the second time.

Unbelievable.

He stopped rubbing his face when he heard the clanking of pots and pans in the kitchen, accompanied by off-key singing. His mood immediately lifted a little. After patting his cheeks - to make sure they were not burning hot anymore -, he took off his jacket. "Channie?"

The singing stopped at once and it only took a few seconds for the younger to reach him. The air got driven out of Jisoo's lungs when he got tackled into a hug. "Hyung! Did you get home safely? No weird people, right? Did Hansol pick you up? I finished all your chores already! And I made ramyeon and it turned out pretty okay!"

Jisoo laughed at the proud expression on Chan's face, a warm tingle somewhere deep in his chest when he returned the hug. He decided that it was better not to tell the Guardian about the car that had followed him home from the bookstore.

 

"Do you have any plans today, hyung?"

Jisoo looked up from his breakfast at the sudden question. The younger was chewing on his toast, watching him intently. "Not really, what about you?"

Chan's face lit up at the answer. "Ooh, let's do something together then, yes? How about a movie? I heard that the new cinema in Yongsan is really good. Let's get something nice to eat afterwards too, okay? And then we could go for a walk at Hangang, the river is supposed to be really beautiful at night."

His eagerness made Jisoo smile. It had been a while since Chan had gotten this excited; he had often seemed a little down during the past few weeks. "That sounds really good. Do you have a movie you want to see?"

"How about the new Marvel one?"

"Oh, I've already watched it with Mingyu and Wonwoo, sorry Channie."

Chan's smile was still in place. "Oh, that's fine. What about 'Puzzle'?"

"Seokmin showed me that one; it's really good, you should watch it too."

"...'Mission Impossible'?"

"I watched it with Jeonghan on our date night last week."

Jisoo flinched when Chan's chopsticks met the surface of the kitchen table. Startled, he looked up but Chan had turned his back to him while he moved his plate to the sink. "Fine. You pick one then."

The Wielder contemplated for a moment while chewing on his eggs. "Hm... what about the new Jurassic World? Seungcheol said that he wants to see it and I'm sure Hansol would be in, too. We could all go together," he finally proposed, completely oblivious to how much Chan's shoulders had tensed at the mention of the other Bonded.

Slowly, the Guardian turned around, his cheeks burning red. "You know what? I'm just going to stay home today."

 

Jisoo was on his way home from university - alone since his Bonded were busy with club activities and papers - when it happened again.

He had learned from his past experiences and had stayed at the busy main street but that didn't stop the car from pulling over next to him.

Grasping the strap of his bag tightly, he fastened his steps but he knew that he wouldn't be able to outrun it.

 

"Hyung? Hyung!"

"Huh?" Jisoo looked up from the page he had been staring at for the past 20 minutes. He was supposed to read the book for a group assignment and he was sure Jihoon would be less than pleased if he came to class without remembering a single word of what he had read - but he couldn't help it. His thoughts were constantly drifting away.

"Are you okay? You didn't answer my question." Chan looked worried, his messy hair a cute contrast to his serious expression.

Jisoo smiled. "Yes, don't worry, I'm just a bit tired. What were you asking?" He reached out to adjust Chan's pyjama shirt and the younger blushed when he undid the first few buttons to redo them.

"Hyung, stop it!" Chan sounded annoyed while he defended himself against Jisoo's hands.

Quickly, the Wielder pulled back.

"You're treating me like a child! Seriously. I'm nineteen, not five."

At his words, Jisoo's face fell. "I'm s-sorry, I didn't mean to-"

The anger and embarrassment that had leaked through their bond turned remorseful at the sight of the Wielder's troubled expression. Chan flushed even brighter. "Ah, no. I'm sorry, hyung. Don't be sad." He patted Jisoo's arm and the Wielder attempted a half-hearted smile which the younger returned just as half-heartedly.

It wasn't their first fight in the past weeks, all of them for petty reasons. Jisoo blamed his constant restlessness.

Chan awkwardly scratched his neck before he turned towards the bedroom, avoiding his eyes. "I'm probably just tired. I'll sleep now."

Jisoo stared after his Guardian, concern weighing heavily on his shoulders.

 

Jisoo was watching the street like a hawk. Every time a dark car drove towards him, he prepared himself - only for it to drive past. He had blocked his bonds to stop his Forcebearers from being affected but he had never been a particularly good actor.

"So... care to tell me what's going on?"

Minghao's tone made him flinch but he still decided to feign ignorance. "W-What are you talking about?" The red-head stared him down until Jisoo blushed - it didn't take long. "Sorry," he mumbled.

"I'll forgive you if you tell me why a trip to the supermarket makes you nervous."

Minghao wrapped an arm around Jisoo's shoulders and the Wielder relaxed slightly. If he had to choose, he probably wouldn't pick the temperamental red-head to confide in since he tended to be a bit rash with his judgement but now it was obviously too late.

But before he could explain, the thing he had dreaded happened - again, for the fourth time.

A car stopped next to them. A slee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter