CHAPTER 5: Eunbis' Thoughts

Save My Love

After the other members retreated to their respective rooms, the two members who shared the same name were well-mannered enough to keep the newcomer company while waiting for the electric sofa to be delivered. However, it was mostly Eunha being friendly since Sinb’s expression still implied hesitation with the new setup. The younger member was there, only absentmindedly.

“Do we call you Joon-ssi? Joon-nim? Joon-eonnie?” Eunha was bright-eyed asking the visitor in English. Aside from Yewon and Yuna, Eunha has a better diction and pronunciation.

“I don’t mind whatever you call me. Joon-ah is fine too.” The visitor almost chuckling her reply.

“Omo! You don’t look your age at all but I don’t think I can call you that. I will call you Joon-eonnie for now. Maybe in the future I can be more comfortable.” The girl with the bob cut hair answered.

“I’ll call her Joon-ssi.” Sinb declared dispassionately not taking her attention off her smartphone while she passed by the conversing pair. She did not put effort into disguising her lack of enthusiasm not only with the emerging conversation but with the entire change of routine that just started that day. Historically, she was the member who eagerly wanted the agency to provide them physical help since as she puts it, ‘she saves her energy for dancing.’ She said that as an excuse for being teased as lazy during shows.

Eunha slightly tapped Sinb’s shoulder to remind her not to forget the visitor’s purpose for being in their home. The young dancer lifted her head momentarily and gave out a smile that almost looked like a snarl as she bowed to indicate apology but only for not being more attentive. The visitor looked at the older girl with a smile hinting her understanding of the situation.

“I’d prefer less of the honorifics but I understand that your cultural upbringing may cause some unease with that idea.” Joon smiled with fervent acceptance. Joon is Asian, however not from a Korean descent And she grew up in the far west hence she was not very ardent with the respectful ways from the far east.

“So… I heard you came from the US? We did not have the chance to enjoy as much when we went there for the KCon. Are you familiar with that concert?” Eunha diverted the conversation to prevent the forthcoming awkwardness. Joon knew almost everything about the girls’ whereabouts since their debut as it was part of her training to become aware of every detail that could provide information she could use while protecting them.

“I have not attended one, but I saw that you’ve seen the beach of Sta. Monica.”

“Oh yeah Sta. Monica! We wanted to stay there for a while but we had a schedule that coincided with our trip there. So saaaaaad….” Eunha herself was surprised to find the right words to tell the visitor. Sinb on the other hand continued to furrow her eyebrows listening to the conversation sounding almost totally foreign to her.

“Hmmm… if it’s not trouble for you, can you share how you got the job?” Eunha felt the need to probe to help the inattentive member beside her to understand the situation more. True enough, Sinb turned away from her phone as she anticipates the narrative of how this foreigner was allowed to intrude their quiet settlement.

Joon, being sensitive enough to the girl’s mixed response to her presence, told her that since their Philippine trip’s and LA KCon's broadcast, the agency felt the pressing need to have their group become more versed in communicating in English. Although it was not the core of her lingering presence among the lady idols, it was imperative for Joon to keep her identity obscure to everyone including the managers. For even if no one dared to question the CEO’s decision of adding or replacing staff members that got involved in the care of the group, it will certainly compromise her mission if she revealed herself. In the end, Joon assured them that her presence will not be as negatively palpable as some of them anticipates.

Eunha was taken aback by the older lady’s honest opinion. She felt a little embarrassed that Joon was very mindful of how some of them, Sinb in particular, behaved after receiving the news earlier that morning. Sinb kept her head up while listening to the unfolding history of how the new setup came about, just to lower it again upon realizing how noticeable her protest was. Joon reassured the two Eunbis that she was there to provide help and that her presence will be least of their concerns. She encouraged the two to take the liberty of asking for assistance whenever and however they wish since it was her ultimate purpose anyway.

After the awkward conversation, it was evident that the two parties have reached a compromising end. It was not as convincing for Sinb as it was for Eunha that the setting will be beneficial for them, but it seemed like she chose to give it a try. Joon left the dorm complex after receiving a call from the manager that the sofa ordered by the CEO needed her signature to be released.

>>>

The six girls spent most of their free time in the dorm to either sleep or play online games. Some of them call their families and some just annoy each other until they get tired. Even on the Ye sisters’ birthday, nothing outrageous was planned aside from their celebration with fans through an anticipated live broadcast. Everyone swiftly went back and forth the different rooms of the house that afternoon until they eventually found themselves in the same dining area.

“Yah, listen.” Sowon came out of their room still in her pajamas. “I know it feels weird for everyone that we will have an eonnie living with us and virtually tagging along wherever we go. But please remember that this was the president’s decision.” She said with obvious dominance.

“Maybe if we get to know her more, we’ll realize how she can be of help to us. Do not be close-minded to the idea.” The tallest lady in the room added.

“We actually spoke with her earlier eonnie…” Eunha threw a glance at Sinb who was still busy with her phone. “And I felt bad that she has only been here for a few hours but she already felt the unwelcoming atmosphere.”

“I saw that too. But I can also see how considerate she is about the adjustments we have to make. Sowon-eonnie is right. Let’s try at least to give it a shot.” Yuna, who seldom spoke, interjected to share her observation.

“I particularly do not have problems with her being here.” Yewon was smiling as she spoke her mind.

“Oh, but you’re always okay with anything Kim Yewon!” That was Sinb refuting the other maknae’s benevolent attitude.

“To be honest, it feels weird to me that new staff members are introduced to us every year during our birthday. But aside from that weird fact, I feel that there is something more to her presence than what it seems. But I feel it’s something good. So, let’s trust the CEO on this.” Yerin eye smiled her way to get her members’ attention.

“Okay! Okay! I will behave. I’ll try. So, no need for more sermons for me.” Sinb who kept her eyes on her phone interrupted.

Yerin, in her sudden annoyance, dashed her way out of the dining room to go back to her bed almost as immediate as hearing the maknae’s response. The other members with the exclusion of Sinb glanced at each other with the similar questioning look. They could not explain why the second oldest, whose birthday was coincidentally today, exhibited a somewhat off-mood. It was not unusual that she could be quiet at home after being the beagle that she was on-cam. But they have been noticing her mood change lately to a rather depressed one.

“I’ll go check on her.” Sowon declared, to end the silence that Sinb did not even come to notice.

_______________________

Author's Note: Anticipate the romantic conflict to make its appearance in the next chapter.