CHAPTER 17: Please Call Me Yerin

Save My Love

UJ: Yerin-eonnie, choose already…

YR: I’m looking at #6, #8, #9 and #16. I’m sorry, I want it to be perfect.

JN: Yah! we’ve shown you 23 rings already!

SW: I like #9.

YR: You only like #9 because that’s Joon-eonnie’s choice…

UJ: Eonnie, Sinb is already looking for us…

SW: You’re dead later Jung Yerin.

JN: Make up your mind.  We’re tired and hungry…

YR: I can’t choose. Which one is #11 again?

SW: Choose now! She’s hungry already… >_<

YR: I’m trying!

JN: No. I’m choosing. #24.

UJ: Whoa eonnie, this one is really nice.

YR: What’s #24??

JN: No, we’re not showing you. I’m really hungry.

SW: OH WOW! It’s beautiful.

YR: What?! They showed you?!

JN: Bye.

SW: ;p

UJ: Eonnie, she’s paying now. :)

 

It was easy getting the other girl’s ring size since Yewon and her shared the same accessory box. It was rare however that the girls wore rings. The only times that they are heavily accessorized are during red carpet presentations, award ceremonies and photo shoots, and so having to choose something they both would be comfortable wearing was a challenge, second to the fact that Yerin was very picky, to say the least. The tired maknae and I agreed to get the rings with narrow width bands and a single stone in a bezel setting in white gold, one stone was red and the other was yellow.

Earlier that day I took the youngest member for breakfast and so I lied to everyone that her father wanted to see her. The two eldest knew about our mission for that morning and they also have their share of explaining to do with Yuna and Eunha later in the afternoon. Before everyone was up, we were already gone. It was easy explaining everything to the keen maknae except for the part where I did not tell Yerin about Sinb’s confession, which she thought would have been an easier fix. But after I told her of Yerin’s plan for Friday following a tug-o-war of going back and forth about forgetting the younger girl, she realized how significant it was that the two ladies did not actually know of their affectionate feelings for each other before that day. Now, it’s only I and the youngest girl who are fully aware of the entire situation. Well, not entirely for Yewon but most of it.

“Yewon-ah, where did you go?!” Sinb interrogated us after we got inside the apartment and finding ourselves alone in the kitchen.

“It was unplanned. Dad wanted to talk to me about a promotional banner for his company. He plans to speak with our agency about getting Gfriend appear in their marketing materials, but he wanted my opinion first.” Acting classes weren’t the maknae’s favorite during their trainee days but I sure can give her an award for her good portrayal today.

“Ahh… I was just surprised I didn’t see the both of you when I woke up.” Sinb, who was now calm, replied.

“We did not forget about our plan today, don’t worry.” I told her. The three of us have set this day to talk about the specifics of her proposal. We tried as much as we could to be attentive to her in spite our knowledge that nothing of what she wanted to do will happen, which was fortunate since she pictured more outrageous proposal setups than Yerin. And with that in mind, we’ve been convincing her to make it sweet but as simple as possible to not exhaust ourselves into putting efforts for a pointless preparation.

“We really can’t do skydiving?” Sinb pushed once more.

“Do you want to get a ‘yes’ from her or just tears and vomit?! Because I can just spin her around many times in this apartment or I can drive like a madman if that’s just what you wanted.” I told the adventurous girl who gave me a confused look and shortly demanding Yewon to translate my words for her.

“Eonnie, just make it simple. She’ll appreciate that more than a grand or an extreme gesture.” Yewon convinced.

“Tsssssss… okay, gym it is.” Amusement park rides and extreme sports were a no-no for the older girl and so we had to restrain Sinb from thinking of those scenarios. “Here, I did what you said.” The now excited girl said while snatching something out of her pocket.

“Yah! What’s this?! I said, show me a draft of your proposal speech, not a scratch paper.” I told her after she handed me her supposed speech written in Hangul that had more erasures and doodles than actual words.

“Eonnie is really not good with this. She could write the entire history of Joseon dynasty in one sitting but not her feelings for someone.” Yewon interjected.

“Yah! At least you know I’m good in history!”

 

>>>

 

Their packed schedule made the days of anticipation go by unnoticed. After a day of location check, shopping and lying to Sinb about everyone’s whereabouts, everything was already set. I have coordinated the security and physical preparation myself and so all that was needed was for the actual day to come.

Thursday night, just after practice, Yerin asked Sowon and I to accompany her for a stroll by the Han River which was a few minutes from their agency building.

“What’s this?” I asked.

“You told me to make draft of proposal. My speech?”

“I told you to write a draft, not a 2-page essay! Do you want to have a girlfriend or a professor?” I told her after she handed me a typewritten narrative that appeared like a final requirement she needed to submit the next day. “And besides, she won’t be patient enough to listen to all these words.” I tried not to laugh as I realized the glaring disparity between her and the person she’ll propose to tomorrow.

“But I have a lot to say…” Her lips curled downward as she defended her work.

“But you have every day and a lifetime to tell her everything. It does not have to be just tomorrow.”

“Hmpf! Okay, I’ll change it.” Now only Yerin’s playful pout was noticeable.

“Are you ready?” Sowon on my left asked seemingly more anxious than the girl who stood on my right. Oddly, we’ve maintained this arrangement wherever we were; that is, me always being at the middle.

“No. I’m dying inside. What if she’ll reject me? What will happen to us?” 

“If that ever happens, it will just pass and you’ll still be friends until you find someone else.” Sowon tried to console her.

“Maybe if that happens, I’ll just ask Joon-eonnie to be my girlfriend.” The other girl blurted out in Korean while distractedly watching the city lights before receiving a reckless knock in the head by the tall lady she was talking to. Even being on the other side, her long limb reached Yerin without difficulty.

“Don’t say stupid things.”

“Tsk. I was just joking. I’m just really nervous. Eonnie, what time will we go there tomorrow?” She turned her attention to me.

“Around 5pm, the three of us will leave to go to Kyungbock high school. We’ll pick up Eunha and Yuna on our way there, then just prepare and wait. Yewon’s mom will drop the two off at a coffee shop near the school by 5:30pm and then I’ll pick them up as soon as they get there. Yewon will be texting Sowon every move we make, just stay wherever your posts are." I told them in a rather slow enunciation. "When we get there, just follow my lead.” I winked at her to signify that some superhuman skills will be involved in the plan.

“Ahhhhhhh…” She uttered while nodding meaningfully before an eye smile formed. “But I’m not sure how to look at her. You know how she is, she might just laugh at me.” Her face turned from bright to distressed after remembering how on many instances Sinb couldn’t hold her laughter even in very resolute and critical situations that required her to be serious.

“That’s easy to fix. Don’t worry about that. All you really have to focus on is what you’ll tell her. That’s the most important. So, better revise that essay later.”

After letting out a sigh, “And the rings?” Yerin reminded.

“Yup, here. Don’t forget to wear yours before we get there.” I handed her a small crimson box that contained the precious rings Yerin will actually be seeing for the first time tonight.

“Whoaaaaa eonnie! Is this mine?” She exclaimed evidently thrilled as she pointed at the ring with a yellow stone.

“No, yellow, that’s your heart. That’s what you’ll give her.”

 

>>>

 

JN to SEC03: Secure perimeter 37°35'17.8"N 126°58'18.3"E. Area LDwn.

Two days ago, I have designated a special unit to check the area to make sure all cameras in the school were disconnected and no breach in the security was possible. Even this unit knew nothing except that it was a classified assignment that they were assembled for. Today was a perfect day since it was a school holiday and only housekeeping staff and a few personnel will be in the campus, which was fairly manageable.

“Umji said they are okay to leave their house, just waiting for the go signal.” Eunha shouted as she received the maknae’s massage.

“Uhhhhhhhhh eonnnniiiiiiiieeee…. Scared……!” That was Yerin almost jumping from the passenger seat.

“Yah! No turning back!” Sowon pretended to not feel the air of anxiety.

“Try not to cry eonnie, okay?” 

"I'll do my best, Eunha-yah..."

“Oh my… This is it. We are near, right? I remember that tree!” Said Yuna who had a peculiar but rather unnecessarily sharp memory of the insignificant things. Today, she was in-charge of engaging the push-pop confetti if it was a ‘yes.’ And it will be, unless some astronomical accident happens. 

“Yes, almost there. Remember your spots, okay?” The leader sounded as if giving instructions for a dance routine.

JN to SEC03: Entering perimeter. Secure Area.

The gym’s location was not far from the back gate; hence it was our entrance of choice.

“Rings?” Before alighting from the van, I asked Yerin who restlessly sat beside me.

“Here, I’m wearing both so I won’t lose hers.” She explained while showing me her hand.

“That’s fine, but don’t forget to remove it before you ask her. Remember, that will be on the second lights off. And one more thing, whatever happens, don’t let her face you.”

“Huh? How can I do that? Make her look the other way?” There was obvious nervous confusion in her voice.

“Trust me. Just hold her, don’t make her turn around.”

“Okay... I’m so scared. I didn’t think this will be scarier than our debut stage.” Yerin was holding her chest and her face was almost drained of color.

“Yerin-ah, every time the lights turn off, make sure you’re ready because I’m really fast.” I whispered.

“Are we going to teleport??” Her worried eyes were suddenly wide in excitement as she turned to me.

“If you want to end up a bloody puddle of human mush, okay let’s do that.”

“Ewwwww!” She pushed me hard I almost hit the window on my left.

“Your body won’t survive the molecular dematerialization and rematerialization to traverse distance, so don’t count on it.”

“I may not understand exactly what you said but it did not sound good to me. So, okay, just speeding, right?”

“Right.”

Before I could open my door, the nervous girl tugged my arm to pull me for a brief embrace. “Eonnie, thank you.” Yerin’s nearness made me feel her quickening heartbeats more.

“Everything will be alright.” I smiled at her and ruffled her fringe, a gesture that always made the atmosphere lighter for her.

The sun was setting and only the faint yellow-orange rays battled with the darkness and the fleeting clouds. Leaves have started to return and the wind expectedly had a baffling temperature just like the moods today of the girls who started walking to the gym shortly after dismounting from the vehicle. From all corners, as far as one can see, security personnel disguised as campus environment keepers were dispersed.

“Is the spotlight ready?”

“Nae!” Sowon flashed the light against the center of the gym’s floor.

“Everyone, just stay put! Yerin-ah, please stop pacing! Mute phones now! I’ll turn on the light as soon as we enter, so make sure you are well-hidden! The café is barely five minutes away, the waiting will be over soon. Copy?” I yelled as I was heading out the gym’s door. “And Yerin-ah…”

“Nae?” She muttered a jumpy reply.

“Hwaiting!” I told her, which was followed by an outburst of laughter and cringing from the girls. It was the first time I said that word after months of being persuaded by them to use it regularly. Well, today it was finally fitting to say it.

JN to SEC03: OUT. Gym Area Tight LDwn.

In spite keeping a close distance, the girls unknowingly all have tracking and audio monitoring devices that I have planted in their personal belongings earlier that day. At times like this, security breach is a very palpable threat since their location is not divulged to the entire agency. Helping them in this personal endeavor while singlehandedly ensuring their safety was putting them in danger and so I cannot let even a small error happen.

 

>>>

 

“Eonnie, you are late.” Sinb started with her impatient tone.

“There was road construction I did not know about on my route. Anyway, ready?” I calmly answered as I glanced at Yewon who has started texting everyone except Sinb and Yerin.

 

UJ to SW, EH and YJ: We are with Joon-eonnie. Just got in the van.

SW: Okay, we are ready.

UJ: How’s Yerin-eonnie?

EH: I think she peed in her pants already. >,<

 

“Is the school near?”

“Yup, 5 minutes away. Why?”

“Because I’m hungry already.” Sinb complained.

“But I thought the two of you had lunch with Yewon’s mom?”

“We did! Her appetite is just oddly extreme today.” Yewon interrupted.

“No! My appetite is fine. Yes, we ate. But this showoff Umji-ah made us eat in a really fancy restaurant! I had to dress up decently and I could not eat properly with all those servers waiting and watching us eat!” The older maknae ungratefully ranted. Those were not her exact English words, but I made sense out of it.

 

UJ to SW, EH and YJ: Almost there. Maybe 2 minutes, I can see the school building.

EH: So excited… My hands are cold!

YJ: Mine are sweaty.

SW: Mine are perfect beautiful. Hehe

EH: Aish...

UJ: Haha! Good thing Sinb-eonnie can’t read this chat. (>.<)

 

“I just wanted to treat my mom a good lunch. You said you did not mind dressing up.” Umji’s idea of how to get her boyish eonnie to dress nicely than normal worked according to plan.

“I didn’t mind! But it was too fancy to eat, now I’m hungry! And I didn’t want anything from that weird coffee shop.”

“We will be quick then let’s grab something to eat. Okay?” Let’s just see if you can eat after this.

“It’s almost night time. Can we get street food?” There was a devious tone in her question. A few times she has admitted to sneaking out with Yewon to enjoy common street culinary offerings; and during those few times I was stealthily following them.

“So, when do you want to do it, eonnie?”

“Uhhmm... definitely before the last briefing for WGM.”

“Next week?”

 

UJ to SW, EH and YJ: We are turning around to go to the back gate. Don’t reply, just prepare.

YJ: Okay.

UJ: Tsk.

YJ: Why?

YJ: Oh! Don’t reply. Okay.

 

“Is there a free day next week?” Sinb grabbed her phone to check her calendar.

“Maybe even just an afternoon without a schedule.” I casually suggested.

“Eonnie, I think Thursday and Friday afternoon.” Yewon answered hastily in spite a non-existent knowledge of their schedule next week.

“No, Wednesday and Friday afternoon. The Thursday was moved, remember?”

“Sinb is right. It was moved.” I commented while waiting for the metal gates to completely open as I was coldly acknowledged by an agent who was waiting by the guard post.

 

UJ to SW, EH and YJ:  We’ve reached the gate. Hwaiting!

 

“When is final briefing again, eonnie?” Yewon was just keeping the conversation going to hide her nervousness.

“Joon-eonnie, was it Saturday afternoon? Manager was talking to you about it. I could not absorb anything that day.” Sinb replied with apparent dismay on her face.

 

UJ to SW, EH and YJ:  Walking to the gym!

 

“Yes, Saturday at 3PM.” I looked back at the two girls behind me as I pushed open the gym’s door.

“Whoa! I didn’t think it was this big when we had our MV shot here.” The unsuspecting maknae exclaimed after the light’s flicker ended when I switched them on.

“Waaah… you’re right.” Yewon acted astounded while scanning the gymnasium looking for signs of her other members but staying close to where the light switch was.

“Shhhhh… be quiet. There might be housekeepers in the locker rooms. Just be quiet for now until we’re sure.” I whispered to them. I was certain that we were not alone in the gym, there was Yerin and the other members who did not know that Sinb had plans of proposing in this very place. And so before she could even open up the topic, I had to hush them.

“So, Sinb-yah…” I started taking her to the center of the basketball court and used more sign language than words. “So, this will be the place.” And as soon as she faced the right direction upon reaching the red circle at the middle,

 

*Clap!

 

Darkness. Wind blew faintly through Sinb’s hair as I disappeared from her midst.

“Uh! EONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!”

In a second, I was already carrying Yerin in my arms.

Another faltering wave of air brushed Sinb’s face as I ran back after a millisecond or so amidst the darkness that only I could see through, but now with the trembling lady who I settled to stand behind her.

As Sinb was about to scream again, she froze to the slithering pair of arms that quickly but gently wrapped around her. A right arm embracing her tenderly over the shoulder and a left arm holding her delicately just above her waist.  There was both calmness and terror when a recognizable scent dissipated in the air as the other girl slowly rested her head on the crook of her neck. In that blackness, only their breathing, trembling hands and heartbeats crazily racing filled their senses.

 

*Clap! Clap!

 

Sowon the equipment she has been guarding the whole time and kept it focused over the center of the gym where the two stood motionless in a caring but fragile back hug. I could hear the rest of the members control their reaction to the heart-swelling view on spotlight that they now behold.

“Eon…nie…?” The perplexed Sinb nervously uttered as she recognized the familiar arms that lovingly held her. She instantly attempted to turn around but Yerin was strong to keep her still in her embrace; and that strength was a confirmation of the identity of the human being behind her who emitted the calming scent.

“Sinb-yah… I should have done this a long time ago. I should have casted all my worries and told you how I felt. I should have held you tight instead of running away. I should have confessed instead of turning around. I should have shown you. I should have been braver.” Yerin’s trembling voice reverberated through the unnerving stillness.

“I should have told you… that I want you to rest on my shoulder at the end of each tiring day. I want you to run to my arms when you feel weary and unsafe. I want you to think of me with every beautiful love song you’ll hear. I want you to call my name when you get lost in the dark. I want you to fall asleep listening to the sound of my voice through all the restless nights. I want you to have me… I want… you.”

With Yerin’s every word, Sinb realized all the time they wasted shrouding their love with friendship, blinding themselves from the fervent yearning to be with each other.

 

*Clap!

 

Darkness. In an instant, she released her clutch on the younger girl before I carried her to the other side of the circle. Knowing the speed won’t give her enough time, I took her hand and slid one ring off to replace it onto her palm before I curled her fingers to a tight clench. I could hear Sinb gasp for breath as soon as the embrace disappeared. For the two, only the wind feebly whirling and their inconsolable heartbeats were clear in that blurry moment.

 

*Clap! Clap!

 

“Sinb-yah, let me miss you even when you’re around. Let me need you even when I have everything. Please let me use up all my energy loving you.”

She slowly opened her fist to hold the ring with her quivering fingers.

“Hwang Eunbi, on this day and all the countless days after this, I’m giving you my heart.” Yerin’s voice cracked with every second she stood in front of her with her head down and trembling arms outstretched to offer her a ring that was her heart. “I don’t care if you don’t accept it, you’ll have it anyway. You just didn’t know, but you’ve had it for a long time.”

Yerin was fighting off the tears that seethed and inevitably fell. There was a mixture of torment and liberation in her voice as she finally was able to turn her long-concealed feelings to audible mortal words. The years of only silently screaming her love flashed before her as she saw her tears stream down the brown maple wood floor.

“I am afraid but I want to walk this path with you. Stop calling me eonnie, please call me Yerin.”

From one corner, I could feel the rest of the girls hold their breath in nervous anticipation, Sowon being the most apprehensive of the answer of the girl who kept an indecipherable expression and was stationary throughout the entire confession. Her eyes focused on the ring that glistened from the blinding light that struck it.

There was excruciating silence before the younger girl moved. She stretched her arm to reach for Yerin’s face and softly traced her cheek with her finger. Once she reached her chin that was now drenched with tears, she lifted it gently and gazed at her intently with her eyes aching with vivid desire and longing.

 

“I’ll take your heart anytime, Yerin-ah…”

 

She gave her hand and guided the other girl as she put on the ring around her finger.

 

“… I’ve always wanted to.”

 

*Clap!
 

Darkness.

 


Author's note: The next chapter would require reader discretion.