CHAPTER 4: Ginseng's Thoughts

Save My Love

Why am I not surprised that we are meeting a new staff today? It has been exactly two years since they introduced to us to an oppa who watched our health, unnecessarily if I may say, before and after almost everything we did. And a year ago, at the same exact day, he was replaced by another oppa whose task was to be our mechanic and runner. I find it a little peculiar that the roles they played for our agency were not typical as the usual staff members’. It was strange enough that they had unusual jobs, but what actually threw me off was that they had to tag along wherever we went. I had to voice out my curiosity to Sowon-eonnie who felt undaunted about the changes. She assured me that it was just what the agency felt was necessary to do. For the past two years, their presence in our midst did not seem to bother us six nor the original staff that we had, so I learned to let the curiosity pass.

And today, I’m certain that this foreigner eonnie will replace the mechanic oppa before they can even inform us. And I know that it was exactly a year meeting that oppa for the first time. How could I forget if all these people entered our lives on my and Yewon’s birthday?

I got up last today and I woke up to the news that we will soon get an electric sofa. Sowon-eonnie told me everything that happened this morning in a reverse chaotic fashion. Truth be told, my excitement about the sofa slowly transformed into confusion as she elaborated the events to me. Nevertheless, I went to our visitor, and supposedly our new housemate, to welcome her and introduce myself. I found her in our small kitchen area already swarmed with questions by the younger members as they crowd around her.

“Hello!! Nice to meet you! I am...”

“Yerin! The second oldest and the energy source of the group. Nice to meet you and your eye-smile Yerin-ssi. I’m Joon. And happy birthday!” She interrupted enthusiastically. For a second or two, I felt myself blushing. I was surprised enough to learn that she knew me since I was told that she came from the other side of the world. And I know foreigners have a hard time distinguishing who is who because they think all Koreans look alike. And her knowing our birthday was a proof she could remember things quite well.

I felt the warmth of her personality through her smiles. She gave out an aura of authority through her words but it was evident in her movement and manner of dressing that she was also a fun-loving person. She was dressed rather differently that she can be mistaken for a bodyguard and not a girl group staff. I would typically protest to this kind of change since I’m innately responsible for keeping the order of the house. But like my curiosity with the other oppas before her, I know that time will prove that her presence is benign for the six of us.  Plus, like what Sowon-eonnie said, with the schedules becoming more hectic, we could really use some help, may it be in English or in our everyday dealings.

“You can just call me Yerin. I hope we can learn from each other.” Sounding too formal, I laughed at myself.