CHAPTER 11: Headline

Save My Love

여자친구 ESCAPED FATAL ROAD ACCIDENT

Sowon was sitting in an uncomfortable chair beside a hospital bed rereading the newspaper that had the story about the road accident the night before. The younger members were sent home immediately after each one passed the general medical checkup done at the emergency room. Only Sowon was allowed to stay in the hospital after insisting that she could not leave Yerin and the foreigner who laid in front of her, without certainty that they were completely out of danger. Even her parents could not convince her to just wait to be updated by the manager about the two’s condition. Both were taken to the observation wing of the hospital after being stabilized at the ER.

EH: Eonnie, any news?

SB: I couldn’t sleep last night.

SW: I didn’t sleep too. I haven’t eaten either.

YJ: Omo…

UJ: Don’t stress yourself out eonnie. We’ll be there as soon as we’re allowed by the company.

SW: Yerin was taken this morning for another scan. They said it was MRI this time but she hasn’t come back yet. She stayed up too. But the doctor said, it was better than if she felt drowsy after what happened.

SB: Did they say anything about her injury?

YJ: I have Yerin-eonnie’s phone, tell her okay?

UJ: Joon-eonnie is still unconscious?

SW: The nurse said that both of them were stable the whole night. She said the scan they’re doing now for Yerin will help confirm if we need to be worried about something serious. I’m crying like stupid right now.

SW: No, eonnie hasn’t awoken yet. Although they said all the tests came out normal, but if she does not wake up by the end of the day, they will take her to another hospital in Seoul.

EH: Omo… Did anyone see if she hit her head? I cannot believe the seatbelt ripped.

SB: Yeah me too. I don’t know how that happened. I still feel sore on my shoulder because of the seatbelt. I cannot imagine how she felt, hers broke.

SW: Manager said they might sue the car company and they will change the van for sure. I don’t know too how it happened.

YJ: I’m afraid to ride any van now.

SW: Wait, I’ll check on Yerin if she's back. I’ll update you. You all rest please, and be safe.

UJ: Okay eonnie, please text us soon.

YJ: Take care, eonnie!

EH: Please eat. We’ll bring food when we can visit.

SB: And eonnie, stop whining.

SW: Yah Hwang Eunbi!

 

After collapsing in the van, Yerin remained unconscious throughout the ambulance ride. Joon could not stop the bleeding from her forehead until the paramedics arrived after 5 minutes, which seemed to be the longest 5 minutes of their lives.

At the ER, the rest of the girls were taken to separate rooms where various diagnostic exams were performed. By the time they got to the hospital, the bleeding from Yerin’s forehead has already stopped but she has not regained consciousness, hence she was sent directly to the neurology section of the emergency department for a more intensive monitoring. Joon, who was still walking with the manager when they arrived, fell unconscious while being checked as soon as all the members disappeared into the different examination rooms.

Sowon was the first to go to Yerin after being medically cleared. She was looking for Joon unaware that the foreigner friend was taken for a CT-scan a few minutes after she fainted. Sowon was there just in time when her injured member awoken. As soon as she opened her eyes, Yerin sat up in both confusion and terror unknowingly pulling the plastic tubing plastered to her arm that tethered her to the tall metal pole by the head of the exam table. The tall girl ran to her side and hugged her while calling out to the medical staff who was passing by the hallway across the room.

“Where is Joon-eonnie?? Eonnie! What happened? Where are the others??” Yerin suddenly panicked after realizing she was in some sort of a medical room as she noticed the thin tube that delivered some clear fluid to her veins.

“Yerin-ah, calm down. Everyone’s okay. You’re the one we’re worried about. Calm down, please.” She kept her in her embrace seeing the young girl breathed heavily and was about to cry.

The two girls separated when the doctor and two other staff rushed to the room and proceeded to appraise her condition. The manager signaled the sobbing Sowon to come outside to join the rest of the members who gathered in one curtained corner of the ER. The manager informed them that all their parents, excluding Yerin’s who were abroad at the moment, were already made aware of the incident and are already being escorted to meet them at their apartment to prevent more media attention. They were also told about Joon who was to be transferred to a non-emergency observation room after the CT-scan was completed.

The four younger members were handed jackets and masks while being ushered by other company staff to the exit where a white van was waiting. Sowon however ran to the opposite direction to talk to the manager who was summoned by the doctor who exited the room were Yerin was.

“She seemed okay, just a little traumatized. The bleeding from her head, although was a lot, was but superficial. The scalp just really tends to bleed that much because it’s full of blood vessels. But her vitals are stable, all the diagnostics were okay, scans were negative for internal bleeding and the neurologic examination went well. We’ll just have to keep her and your other staff for an overnight observation. In as much as we want to discharge her, it’s a serious medical liability on our part and a legal responsibility for your company if something happened to her. I can ask the medical director to tighten security if you think it will be necessary to protect the two.”

“I will explain to the CEO the situation. Will she be transferred now to where our staff is?” The manager said while taking his phone from his jacket’s pocket.

“Yes, she will be transferred to our observation unit where Miss Joon is, immediately after we cleared her paperwork.”

“Manager, please let me stay. I know you will scold me but I will not leave them. I don’t care what the president tells you. I will call my parents and tell them I’m okay and I will meet them tomorrow.” Sowon was in tears while pleading.

“Go to Yerin and call your parents before they are taken to the apartment. I’ll ask someone to get you clothes so you can change.”

Sowon, who did not expect her manager to allow her so easily, ran to her friend to keep her company.

 

>>>

 

“Yerin-ah! Why did you come here? Are you feeling better?” Sowon stood up in surprise and ran toward the door after seeing the younger girl peek into the room.

“Don’t worry eonnie, the nurse said it’s okay. They gave me this metal pole with wheels so I can walk around. See?”

“Are you not in pain?” Sowon walked beside her and led her to the chair on the other side of the bed.

“It’s throbbing sometimes but it’s nothing compared to when Sinb dislocates her shoulder.” She replied jokingly. “Did she wake up yet?”

“No, she did not. The doctors kept saying she’s stable. But I’m really worried Yerin-ah.” Sowon sighed in frustration as she carried another chair to bring beside Yerin’s.

“I’m worried about her too. But I’m sure she’ll be alright, she’s different.” There was certainty in Yerin’s voice as she reached for the newspaper that laid on the hospital bed.

“Did our company release a statement yet, eonnie? I used manager’s phone to call my parents last night and they’re flying back as soon as they get a flight. I told them I’m alright but they insisted to cut their vacation short.” Yerin continued to scan the paper.

“Wow... Reporters sure know how to invent a story out of the little information about what happened.” Yerin shook her head in disbelief not noticing that Sowon was already in tears.

“Yerin-ah, last night was the most terrifying night I have ever gone through. I’m just thankful that none of you were badly hurt. I could not express the fear I felt when I saw you slumped foward before she caught you. I froze when I saw Joon-eonnie was trying so hard to control your bleeding but she couldn’t make it stop. And there was blood all over your clothes and hers.” She leaned forward to rest her head on the bed and started crying.

“It was the most frightening for me too especially when I felt my body falling and couldn’t do anything, everything went blank after. And thank you for not leaving my side, eonnie. It’s was the most comforting thing that when I woke up, you were there.” She squeezed her hand before she enveloped Sowon with her arms.

"Everyone felt devastated. I felt bad for our families and the fans. Manager told me, a lot of fans went to our company building demanding to talk to the management since no official statement was released yet. They are left in fear and uncertainty; even the news articles did not clearly state that we are safe. I wanted to at least reassure them through our fancafe but I was told not to, for security reasons. Yerin-ah, I don't know what I would do if anyone of you got injured severely or if I lost you."

"I wouldn't know what to do either. But eonnie, stop thinking about that now. We are all safe. Someone, or something unexplainable saved us. Let's just appreciate what we have and cherish each other more. You know that I love you, right? You've been very strong and nurturing, I know none of us can do the things you do for the group, and we will always be thankful."

“Wait.” Sowon suddenly lifted her head and hastily fixed her hair and wiped the tears that already smeared the eyeliner she still was not able to remove from yesterday’s performance. “I can’t look like this when she wakes up.”

“Yah…” Yerin broke into a controlled laugh after giving her leader a light smack on the shoulder.

“Omo omo! My mom is calling. Wait, I’ll come back.” Sowon exited the room quickly after answering the call.

---

“Joon-eonnie, if you can hear me, please wake up now because a lot of people, including a lovely giraffe, are getting worried already.” Yerin said as she held the unconscious friend’s hand and moved it closer to her moist cheek.

“Our accident is in the front page today you know, but the headline was written incorrectly. It said ‘GFriend escaped fatal road accident.’ But eonnie… we did not escape, we were saved from that accident…” She paused for second to recheck if no one else was in the room.

“I know what happened. It was quick but I saw it and you don’t have to be afraid of telling me the truth. It was humanly impossible what you did… and I know I cannot tell anyone.” She whispered while wiping the tears that started clouding her vision.

“I’ve kept my promise, right? So, you don’t need to worry. For now, please just wake up. I need to thank you for saving my life. I need to thank you for saving the lives of my best friends. Please wake up.” She uttered while choking back a sob.

Yerin’s heart jumped when she felt a flinch from Joon’s hand that was followed by a weak grasp. Joon smiled at her and immediately separated the young girl’s bangs to check the white mesh that covered her wound. Her thumb then trailed downward to wipe the tears that kept falling.

“So, should we sue the newspaper company then?” Joon’s voice cracked as she softly spoke.

Yerin sprang up her chair and reached for the friend to wrap her in her embrace as she continued to cry.

“Eonnie, what took you so long to wake up?!”

“Yah, you’re choking me.” Joon coughed weakly as she tapped the other girl’s strong arms.

“No, I’m not!” She replied while releasing her from her arms to return to her chair. She quickly pushed the call button that hang on the side of the bed to alert the medical staff about Joon waking up.

Before they could resume their conversation, a doctor came to the room and performed a routine check, the same procedure that was done to Yerin the previous night. After the assessment, the doctor proceeded to talk to the manager who was now waiting outside the room.

Moments after the doctor exited, Sowon came back and saw the two talking.

“Yah! Why didn’t you call me??” Sowon exclaimed giving Yerin a stern look.

“Eonnie, remember I don’t have my phone? That’s why I used manager’s last night.” Yerin answered quickly. “Aigoo! You are very worried about Joon-eonnie, you become forgetful.” Yerin teased in English, that made the tall girl cover her face in obvious embarrassment.

“Sowon-ssi, I’m happy to see that you are safe. How are the others doing?” Joon turned her head to the lady who was now fanning her flushed face.

“Hmmm… Uhhhh… Thank you, yes I am safe. I am happy to[o]… see you.”

“Haha! Eonnie! She asked you how are the other members doing!”

“Yerin-ah! Stop right now! I'm like wanting the earth to swallow me! I’m blushing too much, I’m turning into a tomato and you're making it worse! Yaaaahhhhh!”

“Sowon-eonnie, she might understand you even if you speak in Korean.” Yerin was laughing out her response. She knew for a fact that Joon understood every word.

“Uhhhh… Yes! Every… one is okay. They are home. Yes, wait, let me chat… them.” She took her phone and kept it high up to her face while she briskly typed in a message.

 

SW: Hey guys! Our Joon-eonnie is awake. Doctor said she’s fine.

UJ: That’s a relief! Thank God!

SW: Yerin is with me too. She’s doing okay. Maybe they will get discharged soon. We’ll wait for manager.

EH: Say hello to them!

YJ: Hug them for me please. I miss them!

SW: Yah! Why only them??

YJ: Hahahaha!

UJ: We miss you all!

EH: Wait, Sowon-eonnie, is Sinb there with you yet?

SW: No. Did she go here?

EH: Yes, after you texted, she rushed to prepare and went with manager to the hospital.

YJ: She was bringing clothes for the three of you.

UJ: And food too!

SW: I did not see her yet. I’ll ask manager.

UJ: Okay! Come home soon!