CHAPTER 22: The Storm Is Not Over

Save My Love

 

They reached the company building after only half of their usual travel time. They were escorted straight to their practice room that was emptied of trainees moments after Joon’s phone call with the CEO. They settled themselves and their modest belongings in one corner where a sofa and some floor foam puzzle mats were laid.

After several minutes of much-needed silence, the youngest member joined them, still uninformed of the details of Sowon’s ill-fated shower. Yerin recounted to her what transpired, carefully withholding some superhuman fractions of the story. She did not wear her usual perkiness but everyone found it strange that she was the least traumatized by the event. 

“I’m going out to order lunch.” Joon announced after giving the girls small pillows.

“Don’t take too long eonnie.” Eunha suddenly felt a sliver of fear being apart from the foreign friend.

“I’ll be back soon. You try to rest.” She put all her effort to form a warm comforting smile. “Oh and if you don’t mind, let’s not tell family and friends about the incident just yet so it does not go out to the media and alarm the fans. You know what could possibly happen if they knew.” Yewon clarified Joon’s intentional disarray of Korean words.

“We already thought you’d say that.” Although unusual, none of the girls have been on their phones since the incident and that made Joon confident in their words. “We already know the drill, thanks to your constant reminding, eonnie.” Yerin answered.

Joon headed to another conference room while placing an order through phone. In the other room, she was met by her superior and a telephone at the middle of a long desolate table.

“I have all the team leaders [TL] on conference call right now. Let’s start.”

“Team leaders give me everything you’ve got on the situation. Sec 1.” Joon’s demeanor changed from caring to fierce.

“You are right about the snake. It’s an albino rattlesnake, a very rare species especially here. We’ve IDed only three possible origins and none of them are here in Seoul. We are still waiting for our field correspondents to verify if the locations had a missing or stolen reptile of the same kind. I know you are troubled by the color of the snake. But we are hoping it is not related to that.”

“The rarity of the species is already suspicious but its color’s striking congruity with all the notes is hard to believe as coincidence. Let’s hope I’m mistaken. Sec 2.”

“We could not find any other possible entry but the bathroom’s exhaust. When our client is ready for debriefing, maybe she could tell you what she remembers. Other than that, we’ve turned the apartment upside down, we found nothing. No bugs either, and CCTV did not catch anything.”

“Survey the whole building specially the apartments above, below and beside the clients’. And put everything back into place.”

“Consider it done. And by the way, we ran Pinky’s fingerprints through our local and Asian databases, and we couldn’t find any match. Our counterparts in Anaheim are already on the FBI database this very moment. The partial report is on the desk. We couldn’t securely deliver it to you in the apartment last night.” Sec 2 TL forcibly cleared his throat before ending his report. “That’s all I have for now.”

“Hmm? Ah… Okay, I saw it. Thank you. Sec 3?” Joon almost broke a sweat to his friend’s denouncement.

“We are not part of the investigation team. We are here with you in the building for surveillance and emergency response. Please always keep your location known.”

“Sec 4.”

“We are on standby for land and aerial response. We are currently still processing the footages from the pursuit and we will send a separate report.”

“I would like to believe that we have subdued our person of interest but the morning’s event is making me doubtful. Please report to me every progress you make on the investigation. Sec 3 and 4, I will be informing you of our whereabouts, you know what to do.”

“Copy that.”

---

“I know you might not have appetite right now, but I bought Korean food.” She grinned as she laid the paper bags in front of the unusually quiet housemates. It was infrequent that they were allowed to feast on Korean food especially rice, but this day was but fitting to indulge them in anything that could augment their disposition.

“You sure know how to perk us up.” Yewon concluded as her eonnies started inspecting the contents of the bags.

“I hate to leave you again, but I think the CEO wants to have a word with me. I’ll be quick.” This time, Eunha was more preoccupied with food to be clingy to her.

“We’ll try to save you food.”

“I know that’s your way of saying thank you. You’re welcome, Sinb-yah.”

“Aish.” Sinb scoffed and proceeded to pass food to Yerin who was just smiling at Joon.

 

JN to YR: Yerin-ah, encourage them to talk about what happened. It will help them release the tension. I will be back soon. It will be strange if I’ll be the one starting the conversation.

YR to JN: I understand, will do. And, eonnie…

JN to YR: Yes?

YR to JN: Thank you for what you did for Sowon-eonnie.

JN to YR: I would have done the same for any of you.

 

Joon indeed met with the CEO to talk about postponing the schedules at least for the next two days until the investigation has reached its conclusion. But even before their conversation, the managers have already been briefed about what occurred and they have begun rescheduling, if not withdrawing the group from attending the recordings and live broadcasts. She was informed as well that their accommodations for the night and possibly the next day will be arranged soon after the managers have returned. Before leaving the room, Joon discussed the alibi she came up with to avert the girls and their families from getting more worried.

 

---

 

“I barely remember a thing. I just screamed, but I think that made the snake more agitated. And all I know is that Joon-eonnie was already there and a towel covered my face, and then I was in the living room shivering. Everything in between was a blur. Just thinking about it now, frightens me.” Finally able to surpass her shock, Sowon narrated what the event left on her memory.

“I would have stayed shocked if I were to see that creature while bathing.”

“I think so too, Yuna-yah. I don’t even know how I was able to scream. But wait, where did the snake go after I got out of the bathroom?”

“Joon-eonnie caught it. Didn’t you see?”

“With her bare hands.” Sinb was quick to demonstrate how she assumed Joon did it. “But I didn’t see it, Yerin-eonnie just told me.”

“She wouldn't have seen what happened because I was hugging her in the kitchen.” Yerin poked the cheek of her seatmate.

“But Sinb and I saw what’s left of the bathroom door. She destroyed it just to get in.”

“I didn’t know she did that. Even when I was sitting in the sofa, I don’t remember seeing the door... destroyed you said?”

“Yeah, it got knocked out of the attachments on the corner.”

“She basically did all that alone. When we got out of the room, you were already covered in towels and sitting in the sofa. I must say she was extremely quick to have gotten you out of there unbitten. So fast!”

“Did I walk out of the bathroom? I couldn’t feel my legs when I was seated. I can’t imagine how I managed to walk to the living room.”

Yuna looked at Sinb and smiled, “We are guessing that she carried you out of the bathroom.”

“Also judging by how soaked her clothes were... Uhhhh… So sweet…”

“She carried you. I saw her bring you out.” Yerin disclosed.

“It’s all your fault why I didn’t see what happened!”

“Is it my fault that you enjoyed too much being wrapped in my arms??”

“Aish… These lovers…”

“Hi. I’m back.”

“English time, everyone.” It has been the maknae’s practice to remind her members to be mindful of their language in the presence of Joon.

“Thank you Yewonnie…!” Joon tried to be bright with her approach and expression. “How are you doing Sowon-ssi?”

“I like when you called me Sowon-ah this morning. Can you call me that?”

“Will that make you feel better?” Joon did not evade the sweet gesture for the first time.

“Yes.”

“How are you, Sowon-ah?” She smiled at her like there wasn’t a lingering memory of an albino snake that intruded the girl’s morning shower.

“Whoa... Someone drank a loosen-up potion.” The older Jung commented.

“I feel better, Joon-… ah.” She couldn’t keep her head up while answering.

“Nope! Two people drank the loosen-up potion!” Sinb followed up before offering Yerin a bite of her pork cutlet.

“Eonnie, I heard you carried her out of the bathroom.” Eunha covered while uncontrollably chortling imagining the scene.

“Ahhhh… Yeah.” Joon started scratching her head that wasn’t at all itchy.

“Thank you. And I am sorry… if I am heavy.”

“Ahhhh… That’s alright.” She was now anxiously the back of her neck.

“Yah!!! Are you saying that I was really heavy??” She exclaimed in Korean.

“HUH??” She glanced at Umji who was signaling her to shake her head. “Aniyo! Aniyo!”

“After what I saw last night, I am certain Joon-eonnie is pretty much sure of how much Sowon-eonnie weighs.” Eunha was now covering her face.

“Haha! I’m not very sure if we saw the same thing last night but I will agree with you.”

“What?? What are you talking about?! What happened?!” Yerin rattled Sowon’s shoulder while throwing confused glances at Joon.

The foreigner just shrugged while Sowon started blushing.

“Haha! I’m not telling. I don’t want to be scolded by Sowon-eonnie.”

“YAH!!! Yuna-yah tell me!” A few grains of rice flew out of Yerin’s mouth.

“Yah, swallow first!” Her girlfriend reprimanded while picking up the mushed rice off of the girl’s pants.

“Mianhae, eonnie. Sowon-eonnie’s stares are deadly now. I’m keeping my lips sealed.”

“AIIIIIIIISSSHHH!” Yerin pouted in frustration.

“Yah! Yah! Just finish your lunch. And by the way…” She took one of the unopened takeaway boxes, ignoring which dish was inside and scoured for utensils in another paper bag. “CEO said they cancelled the schedules for today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. That’s just because we can’t go back to the apartment until they are sure where that thing came from.” She said very casually in between spoonfuls, intentionally lax to convince the girls of the insignificance of the event and dismiss any suspicion.

Her acting was effective on everyone except for Yerin who has just stalled asking her about the blood stain she saw on Sunday.

“CEO also said they reported it to the ministry of environment already. And I guess one of our neighbors will be in trouble for having a non-domesticated animal in captivity. Penalty for that is hefty if I’m not mistaken.” She was looking at Yewon to check if the girl could agree to her. “They might get evicted from the building too.”

“I wonder who among the other tenants would do that… Yes I’m sure it will be expensive to pay off that offense.”

“You mean they will leave the complex?” Yerin said, although unconvinced of Joon’s assertion, she admitted to herself that it made a lot of sense.

“Yup, part of the lease contract I guess.”

“So sad…”

“But what they did was dangerous! What if eonnie got bitten?” Yewon’s tone was irritated more than apprehensive, and it made the other members look at her in silence since she was never rash with her speech.

“So for now, you take advantage of your free time. Until the investigation by the ministry is finished, we cannot go back there. CEO will visit you later to check on you, he’s very worried.”

“How about the WGM filming later, eonnie?” Yuna was reminded after noticing the bridesmaid dresses hanging on a mobile closet across the mirror-filled room.

“Even that was rescheduled to Friday. Manager will tell you later. I’m not privy to all information yet.”

“Maybe it was Joon-eonnie who put the snake there, so WGM won’t be filmed today! Admit it already! You’re even getting our poor neighbors into trouble!” She received a slap on the thigh from Yerin in manner more lovingly than scathingly.

“HWANG EUNBI!”

The girl’s maniacal laughter could be heard even from outside the room.

---

“You’re not telling me something, eonnie.” Yerin always found an odd way to trap the foreigner for a much-awaited chat.

“What do you mean?”

“You literally evacuated us from the apartment. What’s going on?”

“Yerin-ah, there was a snake in the building. I could not let any of you stay there. What if there was more? And besides…” She scanned the room to ensure they were far enough from the others. “Security is now checking every inch of the house. You could not stay there.”

“Who did you speak to when you asked for your phone?”

“My boss and…” She scanned the room one more time. “…Your CEO. He was the one who ordered your evacuation.”

“So, did they find anything yet?”

“They found nothing yet. Well, except for a few undergarments that were hanging on a makeshift clothesline inside the electric room by the kitchen.” Joon flaunted a nefarious grin.

“Aish, eonnie!?” The other girl punched and pushed her shoulder repeatedly.

“Haha! Just kidding! Like I said, when we surrendered the snake to the ministry, they started investigating on it. They for sure have interviewed the neighbors already. We’ll know soon.”

“But why are they keeping us from attending our schedules if we can’t only go back to the apartment?” The interrogation was far from over for Joon.

“First, because the CEO was worried that everyone was traumatized. It’s not every day that you are confronted by a snake in the shower, you know.”

“Poor, eonnie. I was supposed to shower that time but she asked me to cook, so she went first. If I did not go to the kitchen, I would have been the one inside when that thing appeared.” Yerin was suddenly aded by fear that was long delayed.

“I know, I heard the two of you talk minutes before that.” And the snake’s timing was another reason that Joon could not erase the event’s connection to the note-maker. “Anyway, second is because I just wanted to be thorough about it. I don’t want that you are out there and yet we still don’t know what happened. You know how much I value your safety.”

“Okay, with that, I’ll agree with you.”

She gave her interrogator a contriving wink while sipping her melon milk drink from the small tetra pak.

“But eonnie, there’s another thing you’re not telling me about.” Although reluctant to open it up, Yerin had to have all her questions answered.

“I don’t remember anything I failed to mention about what happened this morning.”

“Not about this morning, about last Sunday. I saw your pants.”

“Tsk. I was hoping you wouldn't see that." She snarled. "Yerin-ah, I know you are very meticulous about keeping everything clean. Don’t worry, I’ll be the one washing off the tteokbokki sauce on my trousers. You don’t have to worry about it. You don’t have to scold me, mom.”

“Yah! How dare you call me mom! But wait, that was just sauce??” Yerin’s face was a reflection of an obvious commotion in her head as she tried to recall what she actually saw that day.

“Yes. Remember I ran to the apartment. On my way back, I hit a vendor’s cart. Poor ahjumma had to clean up my mess. I just gave her money for the hassle I caused. But why do you ask?”

“Ah nothing. Yeah! Be careful what you get onto your clothes if you don’t want to do your own laundry.”

“Yerin-ah, I have always offered to do my own laundry since the first day I lived in your apartment. You just did not want anyone touching your throne-washing machine.”

“Tsk. Still.” She puffed out an annoyed breath before rejoining the other members who were now proactively commenting on fans’ postings in their fancafe.

Joon was relieved that Yerin bought her story. That Sunday, Joon has seen that the young girl was looking at her pants before her facial expression drastically changed; her sharp senses did not fail her. But she knew that it’s only a matter of time and Yerin will be able to piece the events together, and she will not be able to lie to her if some glaring evidence appears. Especially that the investigation is struggling to reach even a plausible conclusion.

 

JN to SEC02TL: Anything on Pinky?

SEC02TL to JN: I was just about to call you. You’re just a nanosecond faster.

JN to SEC02TL: Why?

SEC02TL to JN: There was no match on any database.

JN to SEC02TL: Run it again.

SEC02TL to JN: But new reports from the lab came just now which might interest you.

JN to SEC02TL: What?

SEC02TL to JN: Pinky’s hands were negative on paraffin test.

JN to SEC02TL: Might be a false negative.

SEC02TL to JN: But the magazine is one bullet less.

JN to SEC02TL: False negative.

SEC02TL to JN: But that’s not all.

JN to SEC02TL: Mind if you spare me the suspense?

SEC02TL to JN: You’re the one too quick to reply! I’m just typing and your replies kept on popping! Better tone that speed, will you?

SEC02TL to JN: The shot was not point blank range.

JN to SEC02TL: I’m sorry. Then, who shot him?

SEC02TL to JN: SEC04 is reviewing all the footages. The bullet is at the forensics lab for analysis. I’ll let you know if we find a match.

JN to SEC02TL: Okay, call me when you get something.

SEC02TL to JN: And hey

JN to SEC02TL: Something else?

SEC02TL to JN: What happened last night?

.

.

.

SEC02TL to JN: I said slow down your replies, I didn’t say do not reply!

 

>>

 

To make use of their time productively, the group decided to just practice for a few hours. Even though they were more relaxed after talking to each other, it was still palpable that fear lingered among them. Many times, Joon noticed how they dragged each other to the washroom and did not want to go alone anywhere, which was not their usual behavior. Also, it was more evident that the younger members clung onto the older members more for no apparent reason, with the exception of Sinb and Yerin who have been magnetized toward each other long before this dreadful day. Somehow, even if they did not admit to it, they yearned to stay close wherever they went. It was also notable that they skipped their usual room hopping when they get bored and no one was heard complaining about being held hostage inside the SouMu building for almost seven hours already.

“Yes manager?” Joon answered the call. “Oh yeah? You got two hotel rooms already?” Joon glanced at the girls who sat together anticipating the outcome of the phone call. But from her periphery, she noticed Eunha frowned as she held Sowon’s right arm tighter, and she knew that the girl pouted with genuine sadness.

“I don’t want to be apart from you, eonnie.” Eunha whispered before the girl her short hair.

“Uhmm, manager, is it okay if you just get like a family room?” Her suggestion made the girls wide-eyed. “Yeah, I want them to stay in one room, if that's okay. Okay, I’ll hold.”

The adorable maknae shut her eyes tightly as she exaggeratedly grimaced and held her palms together.

“Hello manager, yes any room that can accommodate six people.”

“Seven!!!” The girls reminded in unison.

“I mean seven. I forgot to count myself. A suite? That will do as long as they can all be together.” Joon’s face displayed her difficulty communicating with the manager.

“Eonnie, do you want me to talk to him?” The youngest girl offered and was answered by a vigorous nod.

“Manager-nim, it’s me, Umji. I’ll translate but I’ll put you on speaker.” Umji sat on the floor again holding the phone with one hand and the other motioning Joon to sit beside her. “Eonnie, he said the suite is expensive if seven people will stay, they will charge more. And CEO gave him a budget.”

“Tell him I will pay for the rest that will not be covered by the budget.” She replied and was immediately relayed by the younger Kim.

“He asked if you were sure. Manager is very stingy with money, if you must know.” Yewon smiled deviously.

“Yes, I’m sure.”

“I asked him how much it will-... What?! One million won more?!” 

“WHOA… That better be nice.” Yuna commented.

“That’s okay with me, Yewon-ah. Tell him to get it. Everyone needs to rest already.”

“DAEBAK! You’re the best, eonnie!” Eunha was the happiest knowing they will be accommodated in one room. Her appreciation gained a wink from the generous foreigner.

“Oh, okay. Eonnie said to get it. Yes, she will pay. Yes, she is sure.” She was shaking her head smiling. “Okay. Thank you, manager-nim.” She ended the call and returned the phone to Joon who soon excused herself.

“For an English tutor, Joon-eonnie is pretty lavish with spending for us.” Sinb jested.

“Yeah, she seemed to not mind spending so much money. Is she an heiress to an empire somewhere in the US, Yerin-eonnie? She might have told you.”

“What I know about Joon-eonnie is the same as what you know about her, Eunha-yah. You know that she’s not the type who would open about her personal life.” She lied.

“I cannot agree more.” Sowon, who was virtually silent almost all day, abandoned her playacting of not caring about the foreigner’s existence. Especially after being acquainted with the fact that the older girl pawned her own life to prevent her from getting bitten by the venomous predator; and with how she tenderly tended to her after, she could not help her heart quiver for her more. “I’m just thankful she’s around. Let’s thank her when everything is okay.”

“Does that include you doing what you did to her last night?” Yuna tried to ease the exasperation from Sowon’s mood.

“Yah… It’s not like that. I was actually rejected. I guess.” Sowon sighed regrettably.

“If that’s the case, I won’t ask what happened.” Yerin retreated.

“I’m sorry, eonnie.” Eunha rested her head on Sowon’s shoulder and Yewon scooted toward them to occupy the other arm. Everyone was frazzled and weary after a long day of alternatingly wanting to discuss the events earlier and wanting to forget it altogether.

 

SEC02TL to JN: Joon, the bullet that killed him did not match his gun.

SEC02TL to JN: Someone else was in the crime scene.

 

 


Author's Note: Tang! Tang! Tang! Just four more hours to comeback! Prepare to die! (I cannot believe I'm actually saying this)