Pride

Just a Cruel Game

Minah jerks her head back in annoyance.

“Are you interested in me or something? You try getting close to me whenever you get a chance.” Minah says, and it makes Jungkook fluster. He moves back to his seat and scratches his head.

“I’m not a ert, promise.” He timidly states. “But I’m a little interested in you.”

Minah turns her head to look at him. Jungkook flashes her a friendly smile, but she cringes.

“That fast?”

“Well, you are a weird girl, so I want to know more about you, kind of.” Jungkook reasons, which makes Minah sigh and roll her eyes. She then turns her head back.

“What are you thinking?” Jungkook asks and observes her with amusement.

Minah angrily stomps her foot on his, making him yelp in pain.

“I should never have started a conversation with you. Besides, don’t get the wrong idea, mister. I only did it because I don’t feel comfortable around strange men.”

“So you are implying that you feel comfortable around me?” Jungkook teases while bending down to massage his foot.

“In some way, yes,” Minah answers with a fake smile again. She pinches his cheek with much strength, making the younger whine and wince. The wrinkles around his eyes appear visibly as he does so.

“You are so abusive.” Jungkook finally complains and covers his pinched cheek with his palm.

Minah ignores him and leans back, looking outside the road.

The bus stops after less than twenty minutes. Minah and Jungkook then get off it and walk for about five minutes. They reach to her apartment with many curious eyes from people.

When Minah presses the passcode, she hesitates.

“You’d better get out of my house after I change my outfit, got it?”

“I don’t think so.”

Minah looks back to Jungkook, raising her eyebrow.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean this.” Jungkook suggestively points his finger at his damped hair, and he s his jacket to reveal the heavily stained white shirt.

Minah presses her lips to prevent from laughing, but her eyes are smiling. She jerks her head for him to come in.

“I have a large hoodie if that helps.”

“Nice,” Jungkook says and follows Minah inside. He takes off his shoes and places them neatly on the shoe shelf. All the while, Minah just throws her boots to the corner and goes in casually.

“Don’t do anything to my house, please.” Minah looks back to Jungkook only to find him sitting at the kitchen table, watching around out of curiosity.

“Don’t worry. I’ll wait here.”

She then continues walking toward her bedroom.

Her bedroom is full of un-thrown trash and misplaced stuff all over the floor. There are also many clothes and some books lying near or on her bed.

Sighing, she closes the door.

Spending the whole time finding the hoodie, it seems she can’t find anything. After several minutes go by, she heaves a sigh.

“I can’t see the hoodie!” She says a bit loudly so Jungkook can hear.

From the outside, Jungkook stands up from his seat and goes toward Minah’s room.

“Is it because your room is also very messy?”

“Watch your mouth.” Minah murmurs and opens the door after Jungkook gives a few gentle knocks.

“As expected. This place is even messier than in anywhere in your apartment.” Jungkook wanders his eyes around. It seems the various K-pop posters of different male idols pinned on the wall catch his interest first.

“How old are you to idolize these make-money-with-looks dudes?”

“They don’t make money with looks,” Minah emphasizes, glaring at Jungkook. She focuses back to her closet. “I let you in to help me find the hoodie. Don’t disregard my kindness. Else, get out.”

“Alright alright, offended much?” Jungkook chuckles at her childish reaction. He continues glancing around.

“Wow, you read Japanese Visual Novels? You know Japanese?” Jungkook sits down and rummages around the full packages of the said games with total interest.

“You probably play them too, since you know what they are.” Minah prompts. “Oh wait, I don’t talk to you. Search for that hoodie already! I have to get change too.”

“My major requires learning the language, so I kind of discovered different stuff from Japan.” Jungkook reasons, ignoring her command. “How about you?”

“I self-studied. I love the language and culture.” Minah murmurs reluctantly. “Stop talking to me, geez.”

“Just accept that you learn Japanese to be able to read Visual Novels. You are so obsessed with pretty boys.” Jungkook concludes and laughs when Minah takes a pillow on her bed and throws it at Jungkook. It hits his back weakly and falls on the floor.

“Get out!” Minah exclaims, almost like screaming. Her cheeks are burning as they turn pinkish.

Jungkook gives out some more chuckles before he stands up and searches for a hoodie. However, he can’t help but stop by to see an award standing alone on top of her small bookshelf.

With a little effort, he reaches for the award and reads the texts printed on it. Third place, official 20xx Seoul chess competition.

“Wow. You are full of surprises, Minah. You are a smart girl, aren’t you?”

Minah, who is still finding the hoodie for Jungkook, glances back and furiously snatches the award from his hold. She replaces the trophy back to the shelf while tip-toeing.

“Get out!” Minah is yelling this time.

“Okay okay, I’ll search for it.” Jungkook quickly says, wholly startled by her anger.

“I’ll give you two minutes,” Minah states, looking at her counter.

22:34:15, 16, 2

Jungkook hurriedly searches while Minah crosses her arms, looking at Jungkook impatiently.

“Oh, found it!” The younger exclaims after merely ten seconds have passed. From the ground under the bed, he pulls out a black hoodie. Thankfully, it is not dirty, and there is just some dust to get rid of.

“There it is.” Minah timidly mutters. Jungkook stands up and applies the hoodie to him to try its size. Luckily, it is still a little larger than his body.

“Where’s the bathroom?” Jungkook asks while flashing Minah a smile. Minah then leads him out to the bathroom.

“I thought you would like to use it first,” Jungkook says.

“I can just grab some wet tissue, it saves up time,” Minah explains and shrugs as Jungkook looks at her obviously dumbfounded.

“Get in.” She commands.

“Wait.” Jungkook takes two steps back and turns around to face Minah.

“Are you planning to slip out granting wishes to people while I’m immobile in the bathroom?” Jungkook narrows his eyes at Minah, deducing.

Minah takes in a long breath and rolls her eyes.

“Are you changing or not?”

“I swear I will rip all of the posters in your room when I hear a click sound of a door.” Jungkook daringly gazes her with serious eyes.

“Oh my god. You are too childish for your age! And I swear the last thing I ever want to do is leave my house to a crazy man!” Minah furiously rubs her head in annoyance. “What do you want?”

Jungkook crosses his arms.

“Go change your shirt first.”

Minah opens to say something, but she decides to stop. She turns around and goes to her room. Less than a minute later, she returns, wearing a new clean shirt.

“Go with me to the bathroom.” Jungkook jerks his head for Minah to follow. Minah frowns and looks at him in pure shock.

“Oh man, you are so desperate.”

“You never know.”

Now that Minah goes to the bathroom with him, he takes off his jacket. Minah is startled but keeps crossing her arms, looking at his reflection in the mirror.

Nonetheless, the moment his hands reach the hem of his shirt, Minah closes her eyes tight and raises a hand to stop him.

“What are you doing?”

“I’ll just use a wet towel to clean the sticky coffee you poured down my body, okay? It’s just over the shoulder and chest part, so don’t worry.” Jungkook reassures her, but Minah scoffs his disbelief.

“You are something, aren’t you?”

Jungkook doesn’t answer and starts taking off his shirt as well. Minah shifts uncomfortably at the corner of the bathroom, trying to look unaffected by what she sees. His body is awe-inspiring: well-toned abs with full biceps on his arms. He looks muscular and manly shirtless. Jungkook acknowledges her nervous glance, so he gives out a light chuckle.

“Girls are obsessed with this, hm?”

Minah quickly turns cold again at his words. It seems everything that was running through her mind completely disappeared.

“Hurry.”

“Okay. I’ll be quick so stay patient.” Jungkook obliges quickly upon hearing her cold remark.

After he has done cleaning his body and washing his hair, Jungkook and Minah go out. Jungkook heads to the kitchen to take the hair dryer while Minah gets to the living room.

After he has done drying his hair, he finds Minah sitting quietly in the living room, watching a music show on TV with full attention.

“Hey,” Jungkook calls out, walking towards her and sitting down on the sofa, keeping a safe distance from her. Minah winces in annoyance at his appearance.

“Go somewhere else; you are noisy.”

“You can just watch them; you don’t have to listen to the poorly produced music.” Jungkook teases and receives a deadly glare from Minah.

“As I said, they have more than just looks. Not like you.” She clicks her tongue at him.

“What? You don’t even know me.”

“I know you well enough to ascertain you are a self-centered, boring, childish, obnoxious and sly kid. Besides from being handsome which is all thanks to your parents, I guess you have got nothing else.” Minah retorts, not even paying attention to the TV anymore. She looks very confident with what she has said.

But Jungkook looks deeply affected by her words, which makes her eyes drop a little.

“I’ll prove you not.”

Minah’s eyes wavered for a split second then she turns her head to the TV again.

“You don’t need to. We are nobody to each other.”

“I would like to remind you that I’m your boyfriend for today,” Jungkook says, his tone sounds lower than expected.

“We are still going with that stupid stuff?” Minah scoffs but she looks taken aback for most of the part.

“I’ll show you what this Jeon Jungkook can do. You just aroused my pride.” Jungkook keeps his tone low and observes Minah, who gulps right after hearing his words. Her body feels a sudden heat rising, and her heart keeps beating faster.