Just a Cruel Game

Just a Cruel Game

“It has been more than two months since I last came back here,” Minah says, laughing a little. “But everything has been going so well even when I didn’t connect with this world. I got to eat everything I wanted, whenever I wanted. I could even work from “home.””

“But… it’s still better to be out here, isn’t it? I still don’t get why you let me read the scroll. Like you said before, you could have kept it to yourself as the latecomers did.” A man sitting across Minah at the table argues.

“It’s not that I want to live in the bottle forever,” Minah says matter-of-factly. “But it doesn’t hurt if I try for once this time if my theory is right. Maybe it’s just a game, testing us to be selfless for once. Pass the game to the new person appointed, and let him complete the mission so both can pass.”

The male nods as he hears her reasoning.

“You got a point. But… why didn’t you try this last time? You couldn’t have had to stay for so long in the bottle like this.”

“I was selfless for once.” She answers shortly.

“I see.” The young man nods and doesn’t question more, though one of his eyebrows raises up.

They share a brief silence before he speaks up again.

“So if your theory is right, you will become the true hero of this game.”

“Nah. I had all the deductions thanks to that guy. He could have hidden the scroll and threatened me to utter the phrase “I am ready.” He’s just too nice.” Minah says, smiling at the mention of Jungkook.

“So… now that there is only one person left to grant wishes. Shall we start searching now? Oh how about making you the next target! Anything you want, Minladin.” He claims, smiling at Minah. His dimples show at both sides, making Minah smirk back good-naturedly.

“I was about to say the same thing, mate. I have an idea.”

“What is it?”

“Get the addresses where the wander-off individuals on TV and newspapers are.”

“Brilliant!” The younger speaks excitedly, clapping like a seal. “You are quite impressive!” The young man says, sending Minah thumps-ups.

“I just got inspired by my friend and my sister, to be honest. They keep asking where I was all the time it frustrates me no end that I can’t say exactly where I was.” Minah shrugs, beaming at the bright male. “So… fifty-fifty?”

“Okay! I have written all things down now. Phew!” Minah exclaims when they have finally completed all eight wishes. Minah tears the paper with scribbled notes into two equal text parts and gives the boy one piece. “Now let’s see what will happen.”

The younger male nods, looking at his counter.

22:15:48, 00, 00

The counter disappears after it keeps glistening for some seconds.

“It disappeared! The counter!” The boy states excitedly, pointing to a particular point which apparently Minah can’t see.

“At least I’m not getting back to the bottle!” She clasps her hands together and jerks her head up, closing her eyes tightly and waits for the outcome.

But even minutes later, nothing happens.

“Minah, I think we won this ‘game’!” The young man exclaims cheerily.

“Oh my god! It worked! I think we need to check up the bridge for a while, don’t you think?” Minah says, pleased with the result.

“But… the bottle won’t appear again to us as we already saw it once, don’t you think so?” He stops his joyful smile and asks Minah.

“Still, let’s check it out!”

Both of them get to the Mapo bridge after a short time. And as they search for a few minutes, Minah finds out something.

“Namjoon! I found it!” Minah calls, waving at him.

“Really? This is incredible!”

Minah reaches for the bottle, and when she gets a tight hold of it, the bottle feels heavy in her hand.

“It reacts to gravity, finally!” She claims and picks it up, taking a look at it. “Hey look! There’s a small note inside.”

“Really? Let’s take it out.” Namjoon says, taking the bottle from Minah and flips it. Quaking it for a while, the note finally finds its way out of the small top.

When he unwraps the small note and shows it for Minah to read as well, they both read in silence.

The puzzle has been solved, time to say farewell. To whoever that have won this game successfully, I wish you had figured out something from this. Great job, both of you.

“Wow. I think the bottle is trash now. Should we throw it?” Namjoon says, looking at Minah in anticipation.

“You don’t have to ask.” Both of them let out a lop-sided smile.

“Let’s keep contact, Minah noona,” Namjoon says, fishing out his phone.

“Thanks, but I’m having someone in mind now,” Minah says sheepishly.

“You got the wrong idea. You said you had a friend before, right?” Namjoon chuckles when Minah hides her face in shame.

“Oh god,” Minah says, slapping his arm light-heartily. “Sure. My friend is still single. You are a good guy also.”

“Nice!”

“I don’t get it, Minah. We have been ‘hanging out’ in this apartment all the time. Are you trying to save up money for boy groups or 2D guys or something?”

“Nope. Hyeran-ah, you have no idea how much I’m earning these days.” Minah says, winking at her friend.

“So why are we sitting at your home and eating pizza for god’s sake?” Hyeran asks, irritated.

“Oh! There’s some apple juice in the fridge. You like apple juice, don’t you?” Minah says, avoiding the topic.

Hyeran heaves a long sigh. When Minah gets to the kitchen, the doorbell rings.

“I’ll get it,” Hyeran says, going towards the door and opens it.

Minah keeps herself busy with the juice, not being able to hear anything since the TV’s volume is loud enough to block her from hearing Hyeran’s conversation with someone at the door.

When Hyeran gets to the kitchen to see Minah, she turns her head to her friend.

“Who’s that?”

“Someone named Jeon Jungkook wants to see you.”


A/N: Double update to finish off this story. A nice way to apologize for updating so late, and also for my childish move on April Fools...! Someone actually unsubscribed after that *tears*. I shouldn’t have fooled around lol.

So yes! Another story completed! I think this story is better than my older one, and it most likely is (I guess the more we write, the better we get? So, to all authors out there: keep writing! Don’t ever give up!)

Thank you to those who keep reading till the end, I really appreciate it. I whole-heartedly apologize for my (although better, but still) poor writing skills. It must have been hard to read the whole story. But I hope at least it’s not boring. I had lots of fun writing this, that is for sure.

If you have any question(s) about the characters, feel free to ask using this form: (Yes, I’m willing to do a character interview! You can ask me something, too!)

To: [insert character’s name, or author’s name which is hocbaidi]

Q: [insert your question]

Anyways, characters/ author interview chapter will be posted if I gather enough questions, please don’t be shy to ask haha. Hope to read more of your thoughts and comments for this story!

(I will definitely answer your questions months or years from now. But I will reply your comments directly instead of making another chapter)

THANK YOU SO MUCH, ONCE AGAIN! <3