Rules

Just a Cruel Game

Minah wakes up to the sound of paper flipping. In a second she realizes that she is lying on a soft, comfortable pillow. She blinks her eyes several times to adjust to the scene in front of her eyes. The scenery hasn't changed to normal. Still sand beneath her, that damn bottle, and that handsome boy.

Jungkook is right there opposite to her, obliviously indulged in his book. There is also a glass of water near his side.

She yawns tiredly and stretches out her arms. Jungkook finally notices her, so he takes his eyes off his book.

"Good morning, Bang Minah," Jungkook says from meters away, waving slightly.

"This dream is getting weird, isn't it? You heard all of my distress, and I was satisfied. But you are still here. It's getting longer than expected." Minah says, huffing to herself. She shakes her head violently and hits her head with weak punches.

But when she stops, she still sees him, the amused Jungkook.

She shoots the chuckling young man a suspicious glare.

"You are getting annoying, handsome boy."

"If you don't want to see me again, then say you are ready." He prompts, a little urgently.

"You are ready," Minah says and laughs at Jungkook's bewildered reaction.

Jungkook rolls his eyes.

"Ready for what? For morning? Well then just stay here with me a little bit longer. I hate work."

"Just say it!" Jungkook growls as he seems to run out of patience. Minah is taken aback at his tone, but then a smirk creeps up her face.

"What's the occasion? Why do I need to say it?" She challenges him with a soft tone.

"You will understand if you say it now." Jungkook has now set his book aside. He raises the glass of water to drink the contents left inside.

"I want a glass of water, too." She says half-heartedly. But much to her surprise, she jerks back when a glass full of water appears right in front of her. She yelps when her head hit the wall of the bottle with a loud thud.

She looks at Jungkook suspiciously, but she takes the glass up and drinks it.

"This dream is so real."

"It's not a dream." Jungkook corrects, his teeth clenching slightly.

"I'll wake up when I'm... when the time comes, I mean." She winks at the angry young man before lying back down, still facing him.

"What are you doing?"

"Reading books for my major."

"You are in college? I thought you were a high schooler!"

"Stop joking." He glares at her for the first time. Minah only grins at him in return.

"Cute."

"Just say it, please. I desperately need to get out of here, the final exams are coming next month."

"It." She bursts out laughing at her joke, but the unamused Jungkook remains.

"Well. Sure. I'll say it, okay? Stop being so serious. You are scaring me out." She sits up again. Looking up to the bottle, she starts thinking. "With one condition."

"Anything for you." Jungkook raises his head in anticipation, and his eyes lighten.

"What was that scroll you huŕriedly hid at your back? I want to read what's inside."

Jungkook's face fell immediately at her request. He avoids her gaze shortly.

"Nothing." Jungkook looks down and presses his thin lips together until they disappear entirely. Minah laughs at his expression.

"Liar."

"Why are you so hard-headed?" Jungkook pouts at Minah and ruffles his hair impatiently.

"Just give it to me. I want to see what's inside." Minah lets out her hand, still smiling at Jungkook.

"Alright." Jungkook sighs heavily after a thoughtful moment. He reaches his hand to the back and pulls out the badly wrinkled scroll.

"Suspicious." Minah comments, looking wittily at Jungkook.

Jungkook got up on his feet and trudges towards Minah with a reluctant face. When he gets near, Minah crawls up and eagerly reaches to the scroll and snatches it out of his loose grip.

"I can't believe I have created such a handsome man, and a suspicious scroll as well, though I don't know what it is." Minah looks to Jungkook for the last time before checking out the scroll.

"What an insult to my parents."

Minah doesn't bother to answer when she unrolls the paper slowly. She starts reading out loud.

"Welcome to the genie bottle, where every possible dream will come true. This is the only one chance where you truly get to see me, so read well." Minah creases her eyebrows, tracing her eyes up to Jungkook, who in return shrugs and makes a gesture for her to continue.

"When you say out loud the exact phrase-" Minah smirks as she finally sees a connection with what Jungkook was trying to confront her. She passes the phrase and reads on. "You will get back to Mapo bridge and officially become the next genie within 24 hours. Your mission is to grant 3 people with 24 wishes (exactly 8 wishes for each). Notice that wishes must be genuine and make sense. Failing to do the task, you will be trapped here instead of the current one until another finds their way here."

"Wait. What if I succeed?" She comments absentmindedly, but Jungkook keeps quiet for her to continue. "Nonetheless, this is a fun dream! I love adventure!"

"Note: This is a just like a game." Minah reads the last line while looking up to Jungkook. "Wow. I can be a great fiction writer, don't you think?"

"Why must you be so hard-headed? First time I got here, I obliged to Yoongi right away." Jungkook says, gritting his teeth out of frustration.

"Yoongi? You mean... the formerly lost gamer?" Minah asks, seeming interested in the topic.

"Gamer? Sure we can call this thing a game. You said you don't believe this, though." Jungkook says back in a questioning tone.

"Well yeah, this is just a dream, but so many things can happen in a dream. Am I wrong?" Minah says, scanning the paper for the second time. "So... I'm the next gamer?"

"Yes, so can you please just say that phrase?"

"Alright." Laughter carries her tone as she speaks. "But before I go back to real life, I want to discover this place."

"There is literally nothing to discover here," Jungkook says as another glass of water appears right neatly at his hand. Minah jerks back and stands up, abandoning the scroll.

"What was that?" She looks to him in mere bewilderment, but a playful lopsided smile displays on her face right after. "You can wish for things here in this bottle! The pillow- thank you, the glass of water and that book!"

Jungkook smiles and nodded, looking amusedly at Minah.

"You're quite smart, Minah."

"That means..." Minah trails off as a hammer appears beside her foot. She picks it up and goes near a wall and slams the hammer at the glass material. But the impact doesn't result in breaking the glass. Instead, Minah falls back on the sand.

A chuckle is heard from behind her.

"I had to wait a whole month long for someone to come, you know. I tried this before, but it won't work." Jungkook says as he senses the confused look on Minah's face when she turns her head to him.

Minah looks up.

Jungkook's eyes widen. "No no no no no-"

The sand level reaches to the neck all of a sudden. Minah and Jungkook are nowhere to be found.

A second later, everything comes back to normal, although Minah looks blank and Jungkook pants profoundly at the loss of breath.

"See... I- told you..." Jungkook says between his breaths. "Not every wish is granted here either."

"This bottle is quite smart, isn't it?" Minah says. "We can only stand on the default height."

"There's nothing to play here. That's why you need to say it."

"What if I don't do anything?"

"Then I hope you aren't allergic to dust, you little witch!" Jungkook utters as he shuts his eyes tight and darts deathly glares as Minah quivers a little. "You would have become a genie at 12 a.m yesterday, but things got so hard to please with you!"

"You talk as if you are very stressed and this is not just a dream," Minah says as she narrows her eyes at Jungkook.

"You really need proof, don't you?" Jungkook angrily pulls out a phone in his pocket and fuddles with it for a while before stomping towards Minah. The girl trembles her eyes as she backs off a little.

"See this." Jungkook gives Minah the phone, and she starts looking at it.

Live stream of a national broadcast station now playing weather broadcast.

"This is not a dream?" Minah asks, looking at Jungkook's gaze and then looks back down, slightly opens.

Minah's doubtful eyes start wandering everywhere, and her hands tightly clutch on the hem of her duffel, until her gaze finally lands on Jungkook.

Heaving a long breath in, she starts speaking.

"You had better disappear when I say... I am ready."

Jungkook is taken aback, but he quickly holds Minah's arm and pulls her to his body for a tight embrace. Minah's head is grabbed by Jungkook's palm like he is trying to protect her.

"What-" Minah can't finish her sentence as a yelp escapes right at the moment.

The large bottle starts flipping in a gradually high speed and the two start rolling along with the gravity now that it is not vertically positioned anymore.

"Hold on tight!" Jungkook commands as they are now at the bottle's horizontal shoulder. He holds Minah up straight with firm hands. When Minah stops feeling sick from the several rollings, she looks up in bewilderment.

"The sand is still up there." The sand is not falling to gravity. It looks like nothing actually happened.

"You can't wish for things here from now on," Jungkook explains. Minah closes her eyes to think of something, but nothing happens.

She opens her eyes again, looking to Jungkook who is still holding her waist. Their eyes meet for a few seconds before she speaks up.

"Do we jump down there?" She looks down at the bottle's mouth and then receives a nod from Jungkook.

"I hope this is just a dream. Goodbye..." Minah says unsurely when Jungkook bites his lip. He doesn't respond but holds onto her tightly again.

"Are you ready?"

Minah nods and closes her eyes for Jungkook to lead.

Without any interruptions, the pair jumps down.