Chapter 7

Stand by me

It was finally the day everyone had been anticipating for. The wedding ceremony was going to be held in just a few more hours. Hayoung was already in her wedding gown and she let herself relax on the chair while she allowed the make-up artists to do the necessary arrangements on her face and hair. They soon left the room after styling the bride, leaving Hayoung alone in the room. She was beginning to feel restless as she let her fingers play around with her dress. The subconscious action didn’t help to decrease the anxiety within her. She was so nervous to the point that she didn’t hear the continuous knocking on the door. It was only when she heard Hoya calling her name then she turned around to see him walking towards her.

“I’ve been knocking the door so many times yet you didn’t answer. The ceremony is going to start soon. Are you ready?” He reached out his hand for her to hold on, which she slowly accepted as they walked out of the dressing room.

“How’s Mr. Lee?” Hayoung inquired.

“He’s perfectly fine in jail. You don’t have to worry about him so much. Today’s your day.” Hoya patted his hand on the back of her hand, reassuring her. Mr. Lee was caught by the police a few days ago because he was involved in an assault occurring near the gambling den he frequented. Using this incident as an opportunity, Hoya deliberately didn’t bail him out so that Hayoung’s wedding could go on smoothly. Of course, both Hoya and Hayoung didn’t tell that their father was being locked up to Woohyun’s relatives and close friends which comprised most of the guests invited to the wedding. The only ones attending the wedding on the bride’s side was only her brother, Hoya, and Sungjong, her only cousin who she still made contact with. As Hayoung and Hoya stood patiently behind the grand doors leading the wedding hall, Hoya decided it was the perfect moment to say a few words before he let Hayoung be under Woohyun’s care.

“Hayoung-ah, I really hope you’ll be happy now that you’ve managed to escape from our father. If Woohyun ever hurt you, don’t hesitate to call me right away. I’ll make sure I’ll give a piece of me.” Exactly on time, the doors opened while Hayoung could spot Sunggyu playing the wedding march on the white grand piano. As Hoya led the way on the red carpet with his arm wrapping around hers, Hayoung noticed how dashing Woohyun was in his best suit with a rose attached on his chest pocket located at his left. She could even hear the cheers from INFINITE who was situated near where her future in-laws was sitting at. Yes, she was quite familiar with them when she first met them during her brother’s high school graduation but she didn’t know their names very well except for Dongwoo who had been working together with Hoya. Just like her, Hoya didn’t go to a university but that didn’t stop INFINITE from continuing their friendship even though the rest had attained at least a bachelor’s degree.

When Hoya handed Hayoung over to Woohyun, she knew she would be leading a new life after this.

 

 

Nothing much occurred ever since the wedding a few weeks ago. They didn’t even plan to go for a honeymoon. Woohyun kept himself busy to make up for the absence due to the wedding preparations while Hayoung continue working part-time at the same convenience store which had just finished renovating. Despite staying at the same apartment Woohyun had bought for them, they sleep on separate bedrooms with their own belongings in their rooms respectively. The only time they spent time together was during breakfast and when both of them were having their days off. They weren’t awkward, but they weren’t very close to each other either. They were just comfortable with being friends for now, and there was no sign or indication from one another that they were going to take their relationship to the next level.

But that was about to change when Woohyun received a call from his mother during one of their off-days.

“Woohyun-ah, are you free now?” The couple were currently having their breakfast.

“Yeah, Hayoung and I don’t have work today.” Woohyun told his mother the truth, but the next moment, he just wished he would have lied instead.

“Great! I’ll be coming to your apartment at noon. See you later!” Woohyun didn’t have time to object as Mrs. Nam immediately hung up. Woohyun looked at Hayoung who was facing him curiously, before he shifted his gaze to the analog clock which displayed the number 9 and 12 for the hour hand and the minute hand respectively. Their belongings were still in their own bedrooms, which only enabled Mrs. Nam to suspect more about their relationship. Woohyun then faced Hayoung before he finally uttered.

“We’re in big trouble.”