Chapter 5

Stand by me

“I didn’t know you’re Hoya’s sister.” Woohyun began as they strolled around the park near the Han River before they rested at the spot where they first met. The last time they first encountered each other, it was filled with little kids running here and there, playing tag near the stream all along the pavement. It was crowded with people. Currently, however, the crowded part was just the sky, the full moon radiating its light with the glimmering stars surrounding it while everything else ceased into darkness.

“I also didn’t know you’re one of my brother’s friends.” Hayoung retorted before both of them laughed away at the little bantering that had just occurred. Woohyun soon grew serious as he started to announce his purpose for bringing her out.

“We’ll meet my parents this weekend, and I want you to be prepared for my mom’s interrogations.” Hayoung slowly nodded as she sat cross-legged silently, waiting for him to continue. Woohyun, who noticed her skin was being expose a little due to a skirt that was barely covering her knees, soon took off his jacket to cover her legs which earned a soft “thank you” from the girl.

“My mom will surely ask about your basic information, but most importantly, she will be asking about our relationship and how it all started.”

“Do I have to tell her the truth or feed her some white lies?” Thank goodness they bought their coffees along the way, a caramel macchiato for the lady and an Americano for the gentleman, because at least the warmth radiated from their cups could transfer to their already cold hands. Woohyun thought that discussing about this topic outside would be great, only to momentarily forgot that the place where they were situated at was chilly at night.

“Maybe half-truth, half-exaggerating. You can tell that we first met here when that accident occurred and began to spend more time to get to know each other, only to start dating a few weeks later.”

“Well, okay then. By the way, why would you choose me as your future partner? I think you’re charming enough to actually attract a few women to be with you.” She’s been itching to ask that question ever since he first suggested this idea.

“I was just creating a win-win situation for me and your brother. On a side note though, I know I’m pretty attractive so thanks for the compliment.” She inwardly scoffed when she heard the statement. They continued to drink their coffees as they made small talks to get to know with one another throughout the evening.

 

 

Hoya was still situated at his seat ever since the couple left. He was in deep thought, thinking whether he had made the right decision to let his sister marry one of his trusted friends. He was so into his own world that he didn’t realise that Dongwoo was dragging the chair in front of Hoya and took a seat.

“What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know whether I should let Hayoung marry Woohyun. I trust Woohyun, it’s just that I’m afraid that his female colleagues who admire him will start hating Hayoung and do something worse to her. Don’t you remember what happened to Sunggyu when we were in high school?” Of course the whole INFINITE gang knew what happened. Woohyun was a charmer in their school, and girls never failed to flock around him whenever possible. Sunggyu found it very annoying as he wasn’t able to spend time with his best friend in peace, so on one particularly fine day, he screamed at those girls to stop pestering them and threatened them to report to the discipline teacher for harassment. The girls immediately loathed Sunggyu as they walked away sulkily, but that didn’t stop those annoying creatures from displaying their adorations to Woohyun. The only difference, though, was the fact that Sunggyu had received more haters from Woohyun’s fangirls. They placed rubbish inside his locker and also vandalised his table. Sunggyu couldn’t even do anything since they were girls. If it was a guy, he wouldn’t hesitate to start a fight with him. Even Sungyeol who was the prankster in the clique found their behaviours atrocious. Now that INFINITE is busy with their respective careers, Hoya feared that Woohyun’s colleagues might do the same thing towards Hayoung.

“Come on, cheer up! I bet his colleagues are much more mature than those high-school girls back then. Woohyun and Hayoung are adults now. They know what’s best for them.” Dongwoo patted on his friend’s back as he accompanied Hoya throughout the evening, before the couple arrived at the fast-food restaurant just like what they had promised.