Chapter 2

Stand by me

When Hayoung had arrived home, she didn’t expect that Mr. Lee was wide awake and in a sober state. But what surprised her even more was the fact that the house was in a total mess, as if a hurricane had just struck. Stopping his search around the house, he went towards her and held her on the shoulders when he realised that his daughter was home.

“I want my money! Where is it?!” He demanded as anger crept into his voice. Hayoung tried to look away as she could sense the fury from his unwavering eye contact.

“Useless.” He immediately released his grip when he heard no response from the timid girl. Hayoung managed to heave a sigh of relief as her salary was still safe in her bag. Her relief, though, was short-lived when she noticed her late mother’s jewellery in Mr. Lee’s hand. She instantly stopped him in his tracks as she attempted to grab the only accessories her late mother had left from him. Of course, he was undeniable stronger than her as he easily shoved her aside.

“Dad!” She found it awkward as her tongue rolled to utter the foreign word. Nonetheless, she hoped this could gain his attention and eventually agreed to her request.

“Please, don’t use Mom’s accessories for your gambling activities! Here, take my salary! Please, just give me that!” She forked out the money from her bag, which he instantaneously snatched it from her. However, he still had his grip tight on the jewellery set. He was about to leave the house when she halted his steps by holding on to one of his legs. She didn’t mind her body getting dragged on the floor as she was still determined to get the accessories away from him. His patience, however, grew thin when he decided to put down the items in his clutches as his hands was busy unbuckling his belt. It was the same infamous belt which was frequently used for abusing her body. She knew she couldn’t escape when Hoya was unavailable at that time.

“You insolent child! I’m just trying to earn money and yet here you’re trying stop me!” His hits remained continuous even though she wailed with pain. Nevertheless, her drive to fight back was more intense than her searing wounds.

“I’m stopping you because the way you do it is wrong!”

“You still dare to go against me?!” Before he could even strike a blow on her, the door was opened with a bang as Hoya succeeded to hold Mr. Lee on his wrist.

“You can take my money and hers, but don’t ever touch Mom’s accessories ever again.” Hoya had already gave Mr. Lee the money before Mr. Lee went out quietly with it. As promised, the jewellery was left untouched. Mr. Lee usually obliged to Hoya’s request because he knew, his son was much stronger and Mr. Lee didn’t want to be on the bad side of Hoya since Hoya usually gave him money for his gambling activities.

“Are you okay, Hayoung?” Hoya rushed towards Hayoung who was still on the floor as he checked on her condition shortly after. She flinched immediately when Hoya accidentally brushed her bruises. Hoya didn’t waste any time as he quickly got the first-aid kit in the bathroom before sitting beside her to treat her wounds.

“Lift your shirt up.” Hoya ordered.

“But I can do it on my own.” Feeling a bit embarrassed, Hayoung was hesitant to compel to his request.

“How are you supposed to apply ointment at your back? I don’t think you can even reach it. I’ll help you. Trust me, I won’t do anything else other than tending to your injuries. You can even apply it on your own for your wounds at your arms and legs.” Hayoung reluctantly lifted up her shirt a little, knowing that she couldn’t change his mind.

“You must have endured a lot, Hayoung-ah.” Hoya was silently applying the ointment when he suddenly spoke. “I’m sorry that I wasn’t there for you because of my work. Sometimes, I felt that I wasn’t doing enough to protect my family. You’re always there to take care of our father whenever I wasn’t around. And for that, I’m thankful.”

“Don’t say such things. You’re making me emotional, and I don’t want to cry.” Hayoung sniffled her nose.

“It’s okay to cry. You don’t have to show that you’re strong just to protect the people who you love.”
“I can just say the same to you.” She quickly interjected but he ignored her comment as he continued.

“All these while I’ve been thinking… If a marriage can save you from this hell, would you go for it?” Hoya’s question really came as a surprise for Hayoung, but Hayoung had her mind set.

“If I can escape from this agony, I don’t see why not. I bet there’s nothing worse than this.” After applying the ointment on her back, Hoya passed her the ointment for her to tend on the wounds at her limbs.

“Then I’ll make sure I’ll find someone who can protect you and maybe love you for who you are.” He swore, wanting only the best for his sister.

This time round, he was determined to change her fate.