Chapter 4

Stand by me

Hayoung was simply enjoying her stroll near the Han River. Despite not having a job at the moment, she didn’t break that news to her father knowing that she wouldn’t have a reason to go out anymore. However, she also knew that it wouldn’t last more than a week as he would be asking for her salary again. Her thoughts were disrupted when she heard her ringtone.

“Hello?”

“Hayoung-ah, could you meet me at my workplace in the evening?” Hoya suddenly requested.

“Why?”

“Just come. I’ll tell you more when you’re there.” He soon hung up, not allowing Hayoung to probe more about the upcoming meeting. Since there were still a few hours left, she decided to walk throughout her journey to McDonalds’.

 

 

“Hayoung-ah!” Hoya called her when he noticed her standing near the entrance as she tried to locate the source of the voice. She then saw Hoya was situated at the far corner as he stood up to wave at her while the male who sat in front of Hoya soon stood up as well as he turned around to see the lady approaching them.

“Nam Woohyun?”

“Lee Hayoung?” Both of them muttered at the same time as they called out one another.

“Wait, you guys knew each other?” Hoya was pleasantly surprised by the turn of events.

This is going to be easier than I thought, Hoya believed.

They all went back to their seats, with Hayoung sitting next to Hoya while facing Woohyun. She was currently waiting for Hoya to explain the situation for her.

“Hayoung, did you remember about my promise last month?” She nodded.

“Woohyun will be marrying you, if that’s alright for you.” Hayoung couldn’t hide her shock as she blinked a couple of times, trying to grasp the situation.

“Well, I need to find a wife so that my parents can stop pestering me about marriage. You don’t have to fall in love with me, and I also won’t stop you from doing the things that you like. We’ll discuss more later on, only if you agree to my suggestion.” Woohyun explained briefly, silently hoping that she would accept his offer.

“Will we be staying at your parents’ or…” Hayoung let her words trail away, but Woohyun knew exactly what she was worrying about.

“We’ll have our own apartment, and we can sleep on separate bedrooms if that’s your concern.” Woohyun suggested.

“Okay then, I’ll accept it! So when will we start?” It was pretty evident that Hayoung was excited about the plan. She just couldn’t wait to get out from her house and chase for her freedom which she once thought was impossible.

“First, we’ll be meeting my parents.” Woohyun stated.

“What if your parents are like those evil and manipulative beings who only want their daughter-in-law to be one of the upper-class people, just like the ones we saw on TV?” Hoya who was quiet for the whole time immediately interjected. Hayoung also silently nodded to what Hoya had said.

“My parents are absolutely not like that, I can assure you. Hoya, if you don’t mind, can I borrow your sister for a few hours?” Woohyun requested. Hoya, however, was reluctant to let Hayoung out when the digital watch on his wrist displayed 7 in the evening.

“Okay but make sure she’s back here by 9.” Despite his father's high possibility to be in the gambling den by that time, Hoya just wanted to make sure that she went back home in one piece by sending her back himself.