Chapter 10

Stand by me

Working as a finance director in The Daily Buzz definitely had its difficulties. The publishing firm frequently distributed the latest scoops everyday followed by great deals by other companies that were featured in the newspaper in the form of advertisements. The Daily Buzz also organised events such as road shows and also sponsored major events which had helped the company to grow tremendously, making their newspaper the preferred choice by the public. Those were some of the reasons why Nam Woohyun had to worked extra hard to plan the budgets of the respective events and making sure that all the spending by the company was accounted for.

Currently, the fifth anniversary of The Daily Buzz was coming in a few months’ time and he had to make sure the company didn’t overspend the money for the grand occasion. The planning team and the logistics had collaborated to make the event a night to remember and Woohyun had to admit, it would be tricky to ensure that the firm didn’t spend over the fixed budget while making this night a memorable one for all the employees in the company.

“Sunggyu-ah, do we really have to this? I’m afraid it’ll be hard for us to be on a budget.” Woohyun reviewed the plan once again as Sunggyu stood upright in front of the finance director’s desk.

“But we’ve done a survey in the company and most of them wanted a masquerade concept for the night.” The team leader of the logistics explained as he wished for his friend’s cooperation for once.

“You know this will cost a fortune for the company. Can’t you change a bit so that we can meet the budget set?” Regardless of their profound friendship, this was work they’re talking about. Woohyun wouldn’t want the company's finance to be jeopardised just because of a single night.

“Fine. I’ll try.” Sunggyu bowed a little before leaving Woohyun’s office. Sunggyu was a bit annoyed that he had to revise the proposal once more. He was so frustrated to the point he didn’t realise he had just bump into a lady who was in the finance department. He just apologised curtly before he went to the elevator. The lady, however, was infuriated by his response as she went back to her desk with great strides. She didn’t mind if her favourite red stilettos left a dent on the floor.

“What’s wrong with you, Dahae-ah?” Yoojung who was sitting next to her table noticed her colleague’s temper.

“What’s wrong with guys these days? I swear, all of them act like a jerk every time I see them!” Dahae vented her frustrations as she massaged her temple. It wasn’t only Sunggyu that spoiled her mood these few days. The guy who somewhat saved her last night was another jerk that she encountered. She just didn’t want to think more about it as her blood boiled whenever she did so.

“Dahae, Mr. Nam wants to see you.” One of her male colleagues announced. Dahae didn’t waste any more time as she went to knock on the director’s door.

“Come in.” She went in before she stood quietly, waiting for his instructions.

“Have you done the finance report for this month?” Woohyun asked.

“Almost, Mr. Nam. I just need to add a few more details before it’s done.” Dahae reported. She had always respected Mr. Nam for his great accomplishments and efforts for the publishing firm. She hoped one day that she could become as successful as her role model. If only the male population would be as good as Mr. Nam, she thought. Too bad Mr. Nam was taken by someone else.

“Good. For the upcoming presentation, I would like you to be in charge of presenting the data to our shareholders.” Mr. Nam ordered.

“But this will be the first time I would be presenting. And to our shareholders? I don’t think I will be able to do a good job for this.” Dahae confessed. She had always been doing a great job in her work but presenting? She usually had a hard time with that, so most of the time, she would often ask Yoojung to do it in her stead.

“I want you to do it because I believe in you. Now, don’t disappoint me and prepare yourself for the presentation.” Mr. Nam’s order was final as he resumed to his paperwork. Dahae nodded before she took a bow and left his room. Her steps became heavy as she walked back to her desk. Even Yoojung who noticed her arrival could see her being downcast.

“What happened? Did Mr. Nam scold you?” Yoojung inquired.

“No, he just wanted me to present to the shareholders and he seemed to be adamant about it.” Even Yoojung knew how difficult it was for Dahae to speak up in front of a group of audience. She reassuringly caressed Dahae’s back as Dahae let her head be tangent to the table.

“You don’t have to worry too much about it. I’m always here to help you.” Yoojung encouraged.

 


 

“Hayoung-ah, there’s something I need to announce.” Mr. Park suddenly came to the counter as Hayoung casually read her book since there was no customer around. She then bookmarked the page and closed the book before she diverted her attention to her employer.

“I’ve hired another employee and he will be helping you by restocking the products and mainly working on night shifts.”

“Oh, okay. So when will he come here?” Hayoung asked.

“He will start at 5 pm, when you leave from work. I hope you can work well with him.” He answered before he left the convenience store.

For the next few hours, Hayoung couldn’t help but let her mind wondering who could be the male worker that she would be working with. She was also easily distracted as she tried to read her book because all she could think of was the new employee. It was the first time to have a colleague ever since she started working at the convenience store.

“Lee Hayoung! What are you even thinking?! You’re married for goodness’ sake!” She reprimanded herself as she slapped her cheeks numerous times. Thinking about marriage, she speculated whether Woohyun would be ogling on his pretty female colleagues while he was working.

Woohyun was another puzzle she had to solve. Ever since Mrs. Nam’s visit, Woohyun’s actions had been very confusing for her. He would be very cautious in initiating intimacy but when he was extremely tired to the point he couldn’t think properly, he would just shower her with love. She enjoyed it definitely, but she just wished it wasn’t just an impulsive gesture of affection. Just when she was so lost in her thoughts, the bell chimed, signalling a person entering the store.

“Is Mr. Park here?” He asked. She didn’t even bother to look up at the person as he had disrupted her train of thoughts while she answered his question.

“No, he left earlier this afternoon. What do you want?” Although her words seemed harsh, she didn’t apologise either. Why would she want to say sorry to him when he practically interrupted her thoughts of trying to work out why Woohyun behaved that way?

“I’m the new store helper, and my shift starts now.” Only when he said that, she turned her attention to the man and it surprised her because she knew him very well.

“Jang Dongwoo? You work here?” The said man then shifted his gaze to the lady who called his name, only to realise it was Hayoung.

“You work here as well? Wow, I didn’t know that!” Dongwoo was equally surprised. This only cause Hayoung to wonder, why he would need another job when he gave the impression that he was perfectly fine working at McDonalds’. As if he could read her mind, Dongwoo explained himself.

“You must be thinking why I would need another job right? Well, I’m planning to upgrade my mom’s restaurant in order to receive more customers. Other than working as a delivery man in McDonalds’ and over here during the weekdays, I also work as a taxi driver during the weekends.” Hayoung’s mouth went agape as she was amazed by his explanation. Upon realising what she was doing, she quickly closed back and packed up her things before making her way to the exit.

“Well then, you just need to take care of the counter and restock whenever needed. If any problem arises, just call me or Mr. Park. I’ll be going now.” She smiled before reaching her hand for the door handle.

“Okay! By the way, Woohyun looked so stressed lately when I made a delivery for him. And it was very unlike him to eat in his office, right? You should check what’s wrong with him.” Hayoung nodded before she took her leave.

Now that he mentioned Woohyun, Hayoung couldn’t help in thinking about his confusing actions. Although Woohyun had initially said that she didn’t have to fall in love with him in order to agree to this marriage, she couldn’t think lightly of this matter. But what could she do?

She was in love with her husband, no doubt.