Attention, class! Time for some inspiring self-loathing!

!Story writing: you're doing it WRONG

So, you're probably wondering what this is about.

Well, it's simple. This story's purpose is to teach you how to write a good story, and what better way to learn than by following good examples?

So here's a list of amazing fics (I'm sorry, I tend to read just fics about certain groups, so you won't find lots of variety here). The list is short so far, but I'll keep this chapter and the list updated (and I'll make sure to announce it, when I add something new). Some of those fics are like internet legends, some are not that well known. Just give a few of them a try, and see for yourself what makes a fic amazing. I'm going to give short (or not so short comments) on why the fic is good and what makes it good.

So here we go (click on the title to go to the story)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arbitrage --- unique story-line. Highly complex but working plot. Emotions expressed clearly, but indirectly (aka, there's no telling, only showing). Shakes the reader emotionally- chances are when you finish this fic, you'll be crying.

"First time is an accident. Second time is an experiment. Third time is addiction."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Absolute Chanyeol by leadernim--- yes, this one has a very simplistic plot. Not that original either. But this fic is an amazing example of how predictable plots can be turned into a mind-blowing piece, just with the right characterization and skill in writing. The writing style is very easy to read; the pacing is just right-on-spot. The ending is predictable, but even though you know what's going to happen, it still shakes you up. If you finish reading this and aren't leaking, then you seriously need to see a surgeon, because there's something terribly wrong with your heart. (yeah, this fic is unaccessible right now!)

 

"He feels a strange tightening in his chest when Chanyeol curls up at the foot of his bed and tries to “sleep.” He tries very hard to sleep. He says it’s one of those things “real” beings are capable of doing and he’s a bit frustrated that he can’t.
 
It breaks Baekhyun’s heart and he doesn’t know why."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Be Human by leadernim--- a side story to Absolute Chanyeol (AC). Plot even less complex than that of AC's. Ending already known (you should have already read AC, if you're reading Be Human), but chances are you'll be sobbing just as uncomfortably after reading this fic. Why? Because once again, the fic draws you in. The characters are so believable and so human, that you find yourself tearing up at their miseries, and laughing at their little jokes. 

"He’s not a toy but he’s not a human; he’s somewhere in between and he’s beginning to accept it.

He only hopes Tao accepts it too.
 

Tao doesn’t."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

All That You Were Intended to Be --- a good example of a more melancholic writing style. Starts off simple, but really grows on you. The characterization is brilliant. The plot is simple, but pretty new, and interesting- it really ties up all the loose ends. The best part of it- it leaves you with this tight feeling in your chest. Who knows, maybe it'll even get a tear out of you.

 

"So, umm let me get this straight. You’re from 2008 while I’m living in 2010. Mindblown. Seriously. Are you sure we’re not dreaming? Cause this sounds so much like a manga plot to me."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zodiac --- leaving all the sad stuff behind, here's an example of a high fantasy fic. Lost of characters, lots of events, a typical fantasy storyline made fresh by adding unique details. What to learn from this fic? Characterization, plotting and world-building.

 

"Sehun was also fairly pale faced, but Suho rather thought it was from anger, not fear. 'That was the shadow walker. And his... dragon.' ”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Infinity --- again, a cliche plot. But oh how well the author deals with it. Turn off your light, gets under your blanket and read it in total silence. Feel what the characters feel, share their pain. Think about what it'd be like if it happened to you. If you do all this, you'll find yourself heart-broken by this fic. This self-insertion thing is very useful when writing about depressing stuff. Always imagine what it'd feel like. Don't make the mistake of writing about a girl whose parents been killed in a car accident a few weeks (days?) back and make her all smiley because this guy is near. Read Infinity, and use the fic as an example of how people deal with pain.

"They die on a Monday."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Validation --- now that's a complex story. For those of you out there, who enjoy realistic stories. An amazing example of research done well, and external knowledge incorporated into the writing. Characters are also realistic, with distinctive personalities and back-stories. Plot is pretty good too.

 

"Lying in the bed, Luhan hears the crack of the light switch turn on and a cold hand flutters across his forehead, followed by a light pinching feeling around his eyes. He could see a bright pointed light flickering through his half open eyelids. Fingers wedge his eyes open."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

spoiled & rotten --- very short, but amazing in its own way. Pay attention to how the author goes deeper and under the surface of the character's personality. She creates a layered, complex personality, and manages to give us an understanding of it through this short one-shot.

 

"Age eighteen, Jongin realized the lights of the stage were too bright and the music was too loud for people to really look at him anyway."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, here's the deal. Choose one of the fics listed below and vote for it in the comments (just write down the fic's title) if you want me to go over it in greater detail (basically point out all the right things and writing techniques used to enhance the story). I don't think this will get much attention, but I can try :P

The list will be updated soon :P any suggestions? Drop then down below :)