When people walk in the rain and faint from high fever a minute later

!Story writing: you're doing it WRONG

                                                                        

Today, folks, we're going to talk about why it's important to do your research and avoid cliches. And, as I realize how lazy you,people, are, I'll be providing you some fun facts to prevent silly future mistakes.

So, how many times have you read a fic in which a girl who's lived her whole life in Seoul speaks perfect French? Now how about a story where someone's sick and eating a bowl of porridge (made by their soon-to-be-lover) magically cures them in an instant? And did you notice that all people faint when they have a fever or even a simple cold in fics? Seriously, how often does that happen in reality? I'm not even getting started on how common Anterograte Amnesia (an inability to create new memories after a particular event that has caused the amnesia) seems to be in the eyes of fanfic writers (Anterograte Tomorrow is a nice fic, but come on, it's like Fifty Shades all over- one successful book/fic and we have dozens of duplicates popping up).

From 12 years olds who try to write (ouch, ouch and double ew at those), to 20-somethings that still think it's possible to be drop-dead-gorgeous,over 20 and never before kissed (you'd think the girl'd be like very shy and so on, but nooo, she's in bed with the hero on chapter 3), you'll meet a lot of headache-worthy cliches in fan fiction.

 

So PLEASE, here for your convenience is a list of most-commonly used cliches in kpop fiction:::

- transfer student is a hoooot girl who has all the guys at her feet the instant she comes into the room (and it's biology, and she's sitting next to the main guy because he's, like, her project partner for a whole year, oh and did I mention the guy's a man- and the girl's totally disgusted by his Casanova ways?)

- after the success of EXO, SM is debuting a new girl group, called Twinkle! (/Two Moons/Angels/Guardians/yo mamma's!). They're twelve (six) girls who each got like a brother in some other kpop group, sing like AiIleen and UI put together, dance like a collaboration between Taeyand and Yunho, and preferably had a dark and hard childhood.

- Ol' Jaejoong's got a five-year-old kid who needs a nanny, and, duh, everyone knows Jaejoong loves him some nannies!

- I've got a brother who's in a kpop group and the sweet caring CEO lets me lives with him and his bandmates in their dorm! Because I'm so innocent, nothing will happen. Except maybe them all falling in love with me and, like, abandoning their work and being on a vacation/spending all their time with me in the dorm or out shopping for dresses and silver necklaces for me all the time.

- This huuuuuge nerd is a nerd because she wears glasses. No one, except her best friend, likes her at school. Then randomly, the hottest guy at school makes a bet with his friend that he'd get this nerd to fall in love with him. But she's too cool for him. The guy can't stand getting turned down, so he falls in love with her, because, you know, she's so annoying and ugly, he can't resist. But WAIT- a plot twist! The girl takes off her glasses and WHO KNEW- she's an angel come to earth! Too bad she learns about the bet the guy made with his friends and gets all maaaaad. After lots of tears and a few weeks, during which the guy is a miserable mess and keep drinking and doesn't even wash his hair, they get back together, kiss, and marry each other!

- She's rich. He's rich. It's the 21st century and their parents are making them marry each other. They do. The guy's got a girlfriend who doesn't break up with him even after he marries another girl. The girl meets this very cute and nice and adorable guy, who falls in love with her, but nah, that's not how we roll- we love jerks and guys who don't pay any attention to us, so she kicks the nice friend away (he'll be sad for the rest of his life and never find someone else- unless the main girl's got a female (sometimes male) best friend) and make out with the jerk guy, who will turn into an angel just for her. The end.

- Hana is just your normal, average, typical girl. She hangs out with SHInee, barely goes to school, is stinking rich, meets Suju, has a few suitors from various other kpop groups- but yeah, she's just your normal, average, typical girl.

- Hidden in the depths of woods, there is a magical school where demons and angels live side by side. And this human girl lives there, and the vampires not only don't eat her for breakfast, but fall in love with her. Oh, and the demon kids there learn history and English and maths... if there are even classes at all. And seriously, it's not cool if there are any.

- She hates him, he hates her. They've known each other since they were little, and they've been at each other's throat ever since the guy betrayed her years ago. Plot twist: he's actually in love with her. Always been. Just you know, he's shy to confess.

- He's gay. Everyone knows it. Except he isn't really. He's in love with this girl, but she's convinced he likes guys. You know what he does- rooms with her! Yeah, why not, I mean, that's how you get girls, isn't it?

- He's famous. We met once. Someone took a picture of us looking at each other. There was love in his eyes. Tabloids printed the picture and now his manager wants us to pretend to be a couple, because he might lose his popularity if he denies dating me. The fans love us, but I don't like him. He's very annoying. I don't know why he keeps bothering me- I mean I even move in to live with him and everything, but he's still a total jerk. I totally hate him. Except he's very hot, and turns out he's been awful to me because he loves me. Isn't that sweet?

- A girl has lived in USA her whole life. Now she comes back to Korea and meets the cute awkward guy who used to be in love with her when they were, like, five. He's never forgotten her, dreamed about every night ever since the day of their separation, and now he doesn't know what to do because they used to bathe in one bathtub when they were little, and now it's just awkward.

 

...TO BE CONTINUED IN FUTURE CHAPTERS

 

Sounds familiar? I bet it does.

So, avoid, avoid, avoid, those scenarios! They're not cool, not fresh, and while it's hard to come up with something truly original- chances are it's been done before, stay clear of those ^ plots. Just please, please, do. For the sake of people's sanity.

 

Now, about research. Look up your facts.

Did you know Korean women usually do NOT take their husband's surname after marriage? So no Mrs. Lee for you.

If you're writing a fantasy story, where your characters cover large distances on foot or horses, look up how long can horses run, how many miles can a group of people cover in a day, how long can an army march without stopping. It might not seem like much, but that is what sets a so-so story and an amazing one apart.

 

Ok, I will come back to this topic later, but right now this will be all!

Leave a comment and get some karma- you might need it if you want to by that advertising slot anytime soon! (but seriously, the prices... >.>)