Female Archetypes

!Story writing: you're doing it WRONG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continuation of Characterization Series. Explanation on archetypes and male archetypes can be found here.

 

Female Archetypes- different types of women in fiction (aka stereotypes and basic models to build upon):

 

Since there's no  point in my making up something that already exists, enjoy this list compiled by Susan Walsh: (examples added by me, obviously)

1. The Boss

Confident, dynamic and competitive. A born leader, entrepreneur, high achiever. She commands attention when she walks into a room. Sparks emotions ranging from admiration to jealousy, especially among other women.

EXAMPLES :  Tsunade in Naruto ; 

She is a temptation to men who like to conquer a woman, or “break her” like a filly. Perhaps the least vulnerable archetype, she may come across as too dominant or masculine to appeal to many men.

----------------------------------------

2. The Seductress

Assertive, strong and clever. Calculating and savvy. Has power over others due to her charm and desirability. Often has emotional baggage, creating a distrustful and manipulative personality. All relationships must serve a purpose. Narcissistic, she takes far more than she gives. She is valued for her surface charms and siren song. 

EXAMPLES: Blair in Gossip Girl; Cersei Lannister in The Game of Thrones.

This woman is catnip to men, but should perhaps be viewed as poisonous nightshade instead.

----------------------------------------

3. The Spunky Kid

Funny, reliable, supportive. Spirited, cheerful, loyal. Usually the underdog, she likes everyone, and everyone likes her. A real team player. Often sarcastic and cynical, eschews femininity. 

EXAMPLES: Arya Stark in the Game of Thrones; 

Has a rough time attracting men. Usually viewed as a pal or sister. Always the bridesmaid. She longs for a love life, but is usually unassertive in pursuing men. Often unwilling to be the girly girl just to catch a male’s attention.

----------------------------------------

4. The Free Spirit

Sincere, upbeat and imaginative. Genuine, fun-loving and energetic. She is a handful, but draws people to her with her free spirited and impulsive ways. A total extrovert. Makes decisions based on her emotions and instincts – which invariably gets her into trouble. Amusing, a great storyteller, loves being the center of attention. Distractable and undisciplined. 

EXAMPLES: Serena in Gossip Girl; Rose in Vampire Academy (a mix with the Crusader)

Her vivacity and lust for life often make her irresistible to men, though they find her puzzling and unpredictable. Her charm lies in her ability to laugh at herself, which makes her approachable and just a bit vulnerable.

----------------------------------------

5. The Waif

Pure, trusting, kind. Innocent, naive, susceptible. Passive, insecure, wistful. Surprises others with inner strength and fortitude. Does not fight for herself or talk back, but endures hardships until she is rescued. Drifts through life desperately seeking a real home, having been molded by a sense of isolation. An orphan, she remains uncorrupted by the cruel world. Unscrupulous men may be her undoing. 

EXAMPLES: Anastasia in 50 Shades; Lisa in Vampire Academy; Sansa Stark in the Game of Thrones.

The Waif has been attacked by feminists, but her appeal to men is undeniable. Men can’t help themselves from wanting to rescue The Waif, to be her knight in shining armor. Her yielding, helpless, grateful appreciation is his reward.

----------------------------------------

6. The Librarian

Efficient, serious, dependable, self-reliant. Bright and conscientious, she strives for order and values the intellectual world over the physical. A woman of exceptional talent. She dresses to repress, but when she lets her hair down (and takes off her glasses), she reveals the passionate woman inside. Her capacity for excitement is untapped, waiting to be released. 

EXAMPLES: Hermione in Harry Potter; Evelyn Carnahan in The Mummy.

Hiding her sensuality, the Librarian is overlooked by many men. She may attract men of similar serious disposition, or may be the ultimate challenge for a player wanting to wake her ually. In stories, this female is often wooed on a bet or dare, only to have the player fall hard for her in the end.

----------------------------------------

7. The Crusader

Courageous, resolute, persuasive. A born leader, she commits deeds of valor. Confident, dynamic and tenacious. She knows that action is required, as willingly takes on the responsibility of getting the job done. She views the weak with scorn. 

EXAMPLES: Katniss in the Hunger Games; Rose in Vampire Academy (a mix with the Free Spirit).

The Crusader is too busy for a social life, and views relationships as too demanding on her time. She figures she’ll make room for romance when her important work is done. She rarely shows up on a man’s radar screen, but when she does, his cause is lost unless he’s willing to settle for her leftovers.

----------------------------------------

8. The Nurturer

Altruistic, optimistic, capable. She is often most content at home, and takes care of everyone around her before tending to her own needs. An ideal mother, companion or friend. She is loyal and truly kind, always ready with encouragement. Pleasant and enjoyable, she is the glue in social settings. Has a hard time saying no – a people pleaser.

EXAMPLES: Anzu (Tea) in Yu-Gi-Oh! ; 

Men appreciate her caregiving qualities. She is the epitome of the “perfect wife,” pre-Women’s Movement, the foundation on which a man can build a family.

----------------------------------------

coming up with examples for this one was a real challenge xD if you have any questions or requests, leave them below!