Characterization: Part I. Male archetypes

!Story writing: you're doing it WRONG

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

archetype

n.

1. An original model or type after which other similar things are patterned; a prototype: "'Frankenstein', 'Dracula' are the archetypes that have influenced all subsequent horror stories"(New York Times).

2. An ideal example of a type; quintessence: an archetype of the successful entrepreneur.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Introducing archetypes! The easiest way to create believable and interesting characters!

 

As you’ve probably already noticed, characterization is a sore point in AFF. Most of the characters are flat and unrealistic. Onew with a chicken obsession that really calls for a doctor, Jaejoong with a severe addiction, and a bunch of females who all have some serious coordination problems... Sounds familiar, eh? I bet it does- you will find these characters in most of the fics on AFF.

Characterization is a tricky process, and you need to have the ability to “live inside your characters” to make them seem like real people. Or you can use archetypes-the cheat-sheet of every writer, striving to create an interesting and distinguishable character.

 

Keep in mind that:…

Archetypes are NOT supposed to be copied bluntly.You choose the type of a character you need in your story (for example, if you want a successful, corporate business-man hero, you could go with “the chief” ), then you build your character upon the given archetype. That means changing some things (the chief is very self-confident, but maybe your character has a secret insecurity?...), adding dreams and goals, hobbies, likes, dislikes and other quirks that will make your hero unique. You are free to twist the character, move things around, mess up with his personality. After all, the archetype is a basic model to build upon.  Do NOT follow those descriptions blindly unless you want to end up with a cliché (and boring) character.

 

Let’s go over the male archetypes first. These archetypes were written by Tami Cowden. I’m just going to add some well-known examples.

 

 

-------------------------------

The Chief

This hero is the quintessential alpha hero. He might have been born to lead, or perhaps he conquered his way to the top, but either way, he’s tough, decisive, goal-oriented. That means he is also a bit overbearing and inflexible.

This man tends to be at the top of his career field – maybe the CEO of a major corporation, or a prince. If he’s not already number one, it’s only a matter of time

Some examples of Chiefs:

  • Christian Grey in “50 Shades of Grey”
  • Darcy in “Pride and Prejudice”
  • Luke in “Shopaholic”

If this man were trapped in a basement with an unconscious heroine and a bomb ticking, his first reaction would be anger, which he would, of course want to take out on someone else. He can never admit he's made a mistake, and since he's been trapped, well...he knows he's made a mistake. So he’s pretty darned mad.

He's used to being in charge, so he's going to make a command decision about what to do. He’ll make it quickly and then act. No long planning time for him. He might find a way out by just charging through the locked door or windows. Or maybe he’ll get on his cell phone - trust me, he has one - and demand that someone come get him out.

 

-----------------------------------

The Bad Boy

This is the rebel, or the boy from the wrong side of the tracks. He’s bitter and volatile, a crushed idealist, but he's also charismatic and street smart. He hates authority and doesn't buckle under to anyone, which is why he often chooses jobs where he's his own boss. In western historicals, he's the perfect outlaw.

Some examples of Bad Boys:

  • Patch in “Hush Hush”
  • Gale in “The Hunger Games” is a good example of a lighter bad-boy
  • Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing

If this man were trapped in the basement with an unconscious heroine and a bomb ticking, he'd be very physical. He's going to be resentful and have a bad attitude, but he's used to being in tight spots. He's a Bad Boy, after all. He’ll enjoy beating the stuffing out of those walls. Maybe he’ll just pick the lock, he’s done that sort of thing before! Or does he go way back with one of the villain’s henchmen, who’ll look the other way while he makes his escape?

 

---------------------------------

The Best Friend

This is the beta hero. He's kind, responsible, decent, a regular Mr. Nice Guy.

This man doesn't enjoy confrontation and can sometimes be unassertive because he doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. But he'll always be there.

We all knew this guy in high school and didn’t appreciate him. If we were smart, though, he’s the guy we married. He's a people person and he'll always put the needs of others first.

  • Peeta in “The Hunger Games”
  • Dan in “Gossip Girl”

Trapped in the basement, this man would be incredulous. Things like that just don’t happen to him! But his first act would be to care for the heroine. He, alone of all the archetypes, would actually seek her help, because he knows the value of teamwork.

He's practical, down to earth, so he'd assess what could be done and get to work. He'll be very determined because he's responsible for the heroine. Getting his lady and himself out of this situation will be a real confidence booster for him, too.

Rescue is a real possibility, because he’s made friends and done favors for everyone. Everyone likes him. Even the villain thinks it’s a shame to have to get rid of such a nice guy.

 

------------------------------------------

The Charmer

We’ve all known these types. Fun, irresistible, a smooth operator, yet not too responsible or dependable. He might be a playboy or a rogue, but he's doesn ’t commit to a woman easily He's not crazy about hard work, and he might be in sales, or a gambler in the wild west.

Examples of Charmers:

  • Chuch in “Gossip Girl”
  • Adrianin “Vampire Academy”
  • Daniel in “Bridget’s Jones Diary” (he’s actually a combination of the charmer and chief)

If this guy's trapped in the basement, he'll be smooth. In fact, this fellow might try to talk his way out with the bad guys. Only as a last resort would he do something physical, like break out. Of course, he just might be rescued by an old girlfriend who happens along. After all, he's a playboy and knows everyone!

 

-------------------------------

The Lost Soul

Tortured, secretive, brooding, and unforgiving. That’s this man. But he's also vulnerable. He might be a wanderer or an outcast. In work he's creative, but probably also a loner, so he might be an undercover cop, or do something artistic.

Examples of Lost Souls:

  • Sasuke in “Naruto”
  • Hamlet
  • Angel from Buffy, The Vampire Slayer

If a Lost Soul is trapped in the basement, he'll be fatalistic. This is just another example of the series of despairing events that have punctuated his life. It’s a good thing the heroine is there, because otherwise, he might just throw in the towel. But he won’t let the villains kill her, so he will save them both.

He’ll have a surge of adrenaline, bashing against doors and windows. He's able to call up enormous physical strength in a situation like this. Think of Quasimodo, when he saves Esmerelda.

He's the most likely to know of a hidden tunnel through which they can escape, since he's lived most of his life in the shadows. Rescue? Well, no old friend will show up, that’s for sure, unless it is an old friend of the heroine’s. The Lost Soul has no friends.

 

----------------------------------

The Professor

The first time you meet him, this logical, introverted, and inflexible guy might not be your idea of a hero, but take another look. He is genuine about his feelings. At work, he likes cold, hard facts, thank you very much, but he's also honest and faithful, and won’t let you down.

Best examples of Professors?  (not my cup of tea, so I’m leaving the original examples~)

  • Spock or Data from Star Trek
  • Jeff Goldblum in Independence Day
  • Kelsey Grammer on Frasier - in fact, Nils Crane is also a professor, it’s fun to see two version of the same type together

Put a Professor in a basement with an unconscious heroine and a ticking bomb and he'll stay calm, cool, and collected. He’ll push his glasses back up his nose and get to work on defusing the bomb. This man will analyze all the facts of the situation, make calculations, and see all the small details around him. He'll think his way out. And oh yes, he’ll remember the heroine, too.

 

------------------------------------

The Swashbuckler

This guy is action, action, and more action. He's physical and daring. Fearless, he’s a daredevil, or an explorer. He needs thrills and chills to keep him happy.

·         Naruto

·         Indiana Jones

·         Gimli (the dwarf) in Lord of the Rings

In romance, he's the perfect pirate. A bomb in the basement? Hoo boy, he’s happy now. What an adventure! The Swashbuckler might use the explosion of the bomb itself to blast a way out. That way, he’ll get to hear the bomb go off! However he gets out, it'll be a show.

Rescue? Bite your tongue. He doesn’t need any help!

 

--------------------------------------

The Warrior

This man is the reluctant rescuer or the knight in shining armor. He's noble, tenacious, relentless, and he always sticks up for the underdog. If you need a protector, he’s your guy. He doesn’t buckle under to rules, or and he doesn’t go along just to get along.

  •  Dimitri in “Vampire Academy”
  •  Hercules
  •  Atemu (Yami Yugi) in Yu-Gi-Oh!

He's a protector, so his focus will be getting her out. But once they’re out, the villain better start running. The Warrior will hunt him to the ends of the earth.

Forget about rescue. This man is the cavalry.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it.

 

Keep in mind that these can and should be altered to create a unique and believable character (sometimes two types are mixed to create a two-dimensional character. Though one type should be a dominating one.).

 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Female archetypes are coming next.

Also, if you know a character (from books, movies, ect) that is well-known and fits one of the archetypes above, tell me and I’ll add it up :)l