About apply stories and girl groups

!Story writing: you're doing it WRONG

THE TREND- Apply fan-fiction

 

So, peeps, today we’re going to talk about apply fan-fics. You’ve heard about them, you’ve seen them, maybe you even tried writing or applying for one. If not, then you probably have a few friends who keep posting various applications  on their blogs.

So many apply fics get started, yet so few last past the first ten chapters (it’s an accomplishment if they reach ten chapters, actually). I wonder why? (warning- this chapter is lots of talk and little tips, but if you’re looking for concrete stuff, you might want to skip it)

Don’t start an apply story, unless you really, really want to write an apply story.

So you have heaps of ideas, your fingers are itching to type and you can’t stop thinking about it- now that’s a clue to start a story, all right. But just because you have an idea, it doesn’t mean you need to make it into an apply fic. Sure, it’s fun getting tons of applications- good and not so good- but remember that you will have to write about those characters. If you have a clear image of how you want the characters in your story to act, then maybe you’re better off using original, your own, characters instead. You only get lots of subscribers at first. Most of them will drift away when you’ve chosen and they’ve been rejected. The proud numbers the line APPLY OPEN next to the tittle of your fic has brought will disappear and you’ll be left with only those who got chosen +two-three people who’ll read it anyway. So if you’re tempted to start an apply fic only so you can shower in those sooo awesome, can’t waiiiit for this to start comments after you post one or two teasers, don’t bother. People want to see their characters in the fic, if they don’t get chosen, they’ll most likely unsubscribe (and stupid rules like ‘don’t unsubscribe’ won’t change a thing. As won’t a promise of a cameo, which never happens anyway- people are greedy, they want the main role).

 

Now, if you’re certain you want to start an apply fic, think about the plot. ‘A new girl group’ is not a plot. Plot is what happens. The awesome characters you’ve chosen must have a purpose.

 

Let’s explore the (horribly overused) idea of a new girl group. It is possible to make it work; it just takes a little planning.

 

Basic idea—SM debuts a new girl group.   --------- this part’s easy.

Technical details- 3 members, pop-dance style, partners: sm artists. ---------  that’s easy too

BASIC plot- a new girl groups debuts. They fall in love with some male artists in the company.  ---------------- this is not the real plot. It’s only the carcass of a proper plot, yet some people never plan more than that. And that’s not good.

Now, do some planning, aka plotting. Think of something huge, something that could keep the story going. Try and come up with a plotline that could connect a few different couples. Maybe one of girls is in love with another applicant’s partner? Maybe that partner is in love with that girl too? Make the second girl (the one whose partner he actually is) lash out somewhere in the story, create a conflict between the two girls. Now you have something else besides cheesy love - there’s betrayal, angst and friendship-themed stuff going on.

This stage of planning can also be done after choosing the characters, but it would be better not to rely on getting interesting applications too much. True, some applicants might make you take a double look and go all ‘she’s friends with that other applicant’s partner, I could have him be in love with her, and the other applicant would be jealous and they would get into a fight. And there’s this other applicant who’s so sweet and mother-like, she’d be perfect to try and make peace between the two fighting girls, and then…’ --- if you ever see an application that makes your brain buzz with ideas, go for it. Don’t forget to write all the amazing stuff down and go ahead, make your fingers ache from typing. But plan, do plan. Never expect that ‘good stuff will write itself’. It won’t.

So by the time you sit down to write the first chapter you should have a clear idea who will end up with whom, and how they’ll get there. Our girl-group fic planner should look something like this:

FINAL PAIRINGS—

  • girl1 & guy1 
  • girl2 & guy2
  • girl3 and guy3

PLOT----- Girl1 has a boyfriend guy3, but girl1 secretly likes guy1 who’s not interested in her. Girl3 is a friend of girl1 and she knows that girl1 doesn’t care about her boyfriend and girl3 decides to tell guy3 that he’s being played. Guy3 doesn’t believe her and girl3 promises to prove him she’s telling the truth-somewhere along the way, they fall in love. Meanwhile, girl1 starts to suspects that something’s happening and goes to her friend girl2, who’s been happily dating her boyfriend guy2 for four years, for advice. But girl2 has, in fact, broken up with her boyfriend, and she’s sad an miserable, because she loves him and wants him back. Guy2 is sad too and he meets up with his friend guy1 to talk. Girl1, having learned that the happy couple of girlguy2 has broken up, one day, notices guy2 hanging out with her crush guy1 (she’s been stalking guy1). She starts to suspect guy1 and guy2 might be gays (why else would guy2 leave girl2?). Guy1 learns about her suspicions and confronts her. She’s convinced she’s got the truth of it, the guy is angry and so while girl1 tries to prove guy1’s gayness, guy1 starts feeling something for her. Guy3, who’s now in love with girl3 breaks up with girl1 (insert angst, fight and so on) and gets together with girl3; guy1 finally kisses girl1 and all the drama brings back girl2 and guy2 back together.

Now, make the girls part of a kpop group, the guys idols, and here you have it. A girl group story that has a plot (I don’t claim this plot’s good- I came up with it in a few moments, just to make an example). Also, you can use their celebrity status to your advantage- maybe girl2 and guy2 broke up because of a picture online where guy2 was caught on camera with some other girl? Or maybe the gay rumour starts thanks to fans with over-active imaginations? Be creative. And keep in mind that the so-called-plot example above is not complete, it still lacks detail. So work it.

 

Now, a quick (I hope so) note about applications. You really don’t need to include stupid stuff like “individual fanclub name” or “individual fanclub color”. You don’t even need to include positions, really. Stuff like fanclub names and colors could very well be asked after the people have been chosen. Why make everyone fill in those parts? It won’t affect if they get chosen, it’s only extra work.

And the positions could be decided by their skills. If the applicant says their character is an awesome dancer, then you, the author make them the main dancer, don’t tell them to “choose a position”. That’s your job. For new girl groups fics, I suggest asking the applicant to rate their skills in each category: dancing, vocals, ac

ting, ect.

 

SUGGESTION

For girl group fics, why not try something that’s used in (usually fantasy) RPGs?

Try this:::

You have 100 points in total. Please distribute the points in these categories showing your skills in each of them.

 

Vocals:

 

Dancing:

 

Acting:

 

Rapping:

 

Modelling:

 

Variety shows skill:

 

MC-ing:

 

                          Total:

100

Now you’re saved from perfect all-rounders. If they’re good at everything, they’re perfect at nothing. (also forgive the ugly formating- I've pasted this off my laptop and I'm too tired to fight with the evilness that is online formating)

 

And so you have it. For now my rant is done. Use what you think is fitted to you, forget the rest. I might do another chapter on apply fics… someday. And I might not do it at all.

Any questions? Ask below. Have a request? Want me to talk about a particular issue? Shoot away.

I’m thinking of putting up a list of links to writing tutorials I like. Maybe someone could benefit from them.

For now- bye ;D