Chapter 8

My Ex's (And The Oh's)

When Chanyeol called Jongdae and asked him if he was supposed to come home early, something felt off. Jongdae asked Chanyeol where he got this false information and the other replied with Baekhyun.

Jongdae bid farewell to the other before hanging up, stating down at his phone in confusion. Why did Baekhyun say that?

The curly haired male was still at work, but a foreboding feeling crept upon him as he worked. Luckily for him, his best friend was the owner of the cafe he was working at, so he asked Junmyeon if he could leave early.

"Why?" Junmyeon asked, staring at his friend in confusion.

"... I can't really explain.. it? I have this.... bad feeling.. and my boyfriend's friend called and asked me about him..." Jongdae was as confused as Junmyeon. "I'll take an extra shift tomorrow." He added afterwards.

Junmyeon pursed his lips before nodding. "Sure, alright. Go see what's bothering you."

Jongdae headed to the back room to put his apron up. As he headed out, he heard Zitao whine to Junmyeon about Jongdae leaving early.

Jongdae pulled his phone out, casting a wary glance up at the sky before dialing Baekhyun's number. He held his phone to his ear, walking as he waited for the other to pick up.

When Baekhyun didn't pick up, the curly haired male's step became quicker, hurrying home to see if Baekhyun was there.

"Baekhyun?" Jongdae called into the quiet apartment. When he didn't get a response, he pulled his phone out, calling Chanyeol again.

"So... he's not at your guys' apartment?" Chanyeol inquired, to which Jongdae replied with a no.

"He seemed pretty upset earlier..." Chanyeol cursed. "I should have gone with him."

"It's ok.. I'll find him."

"Hurry, it looks like it's about to storm."

"Okay, bye Chanyeol. I'll text you when I find him."

Jongdae hung up, putting his phone back into his pocket. He grabbed his umbrella, leaving the apartment after slipping his shoes back on.

"Baekhyun... where'd you go..?" He questioned himself, glancing around the streets for his lover.

A sudden drop of water hitting his head startled the male.

He opened his umbrella, holding it over his head as he continued his search.

He came across a small park, something telling him that Baekhyun's there.

He squinted through the sudden onslaught of rain, staring at the figure hunched over on the bench.

"Baekhyun!" Jongdae suddenly shouted, running towards him, the relief of finding the other nearly making cry.

He slowed his pace until he was in front of the other.

"Bacon.." He panted, relief evident in his voice.

"... Jongdae?" Baekhyun whimpered, causing Jongdae's heart to break at the sound.

"C'mon.. let's go home," he pulled Baekhyun to his feet. When he noticed the other's trembling shoulders, he slipped his jacket off, wrapping it around the other's shoulders.

"Let's go," Jongdae held his free hand out to Baekhyun, a smile (I'm) creeping (in your heart, babe) onto his lips when the other took it.

The two walked home, to Jongdae's apartment, the aforementioned male glancing over at his boyfriend every so often.

The minute they stepped into the apartment, Jongdae started gently pushing the other to the bedroom, pulling the jacket off.

"Take off your clothes." Jongdae headed over to his closet to pull out some clean and dry clothes for Baekhyun.

"If you don't, you'll get a cold..." 'not that you probably already have one...' the brunet thought as he waited for Baekhyun to slip out of the soaking wet clothes.

Once Baekhyun was rid of the drenched clothes, Jongdae helped him into the dry ones he had prepared for the other.

"I'm going to make you some hot chocolate.." Jongdae offered after he watched Baekhyun get into bed and slide underneath the covers.

Baekhyun watched Jongdae leave, taking in a shaky breath.


Jongdae set the kettle on the stove, turning it on.

He turned to the pantry to pull out something for them to snack on.

"Hmm.." he snatched a bag of potato chips right out of the pantry, stepping back to place the bag on the counter. He opened the cupboard, pulling out a bowl to pour the potato chips into.

He filled the bowl up with the potato chips when the loud shrill whistle of the kettle interrupted him.

He turned to the stove, turning it off before retrieving a mug for the hot chocolate. He set it down on the counter, picking the kettle up before pouring the hot water into the mug.

"Hmm..." he headed back to the pantry, pulling out some hot chocolate powder. He dropped the powder into the hot water, stirring it with a spoon.

He carried the mug and bowl to the bedroom, placing the hot chocolate on the bedside table.

"Baekhyun~" Jongdae glanced over at his boyfriend, thinking he was asleep.

"I'm not asleep," Baekhyun muttered a few seconds afterwards, sitting up to look at his lover.

"Well, I set your hot chocolate over there and I brought a bowl of chips." Jongdae sat down on the bed next to Baekhyun, holding the chips out to the other.

Baekhyun grabbed a chip, plopping it into his mouth. "Mm! Sour cream and onion, yum." He snatched another chip, before reaching over to the mug on the bedside table, picking it up.

"Thank you, Jongdae." Baekhyun glanced over at his boyfriend, a smile on his lips.

Jongdae replied with a bright smile on his lips.

 

"Pabo!" Jongdae exclaims, staring at his sick boyfriend.

"I can't believe you're actually sick.. wait, actually.. yes, I can believe that. A certain someone spent a rather long time in that downpour yesterday," Jongdae gave his boyfriend a stern look.

Baekhyun pouted. "Sorry~ I just had some important thinking to do.."

"In the rain?"

"...uh, that was not expected...?"

"Still, you should've gone into a nearby building to get out of it. Now you're sick." Jongdae pursed his lips before pulling his phone out of his pocket. "Guess I'll have to call in that favor."

"What? Don't skip work because of me," Baekhyun protested, noticing the glint in his lover's eye.

"Hush. I'm not going to go to work if my boyfriend's sick like this! I'm going to take care of you. And you're going to let me." Jongdae grinned at the other, holding the phone to his ear as he waited for Junmyeon to pick up.

Baekhyun stared at the other, an unreadable expression coming over his features. Is this what it means to care for someone? Much more than you care for yourself? Has any of his previous exes cared for him like this? Why is his relationship with Jongdae so different from the others? Why?

"Hey, Junmyeon," Jongdae rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand, his voice taking on a sheepish tone. "I'm not going to be able to come in today.." He started, wincing slightly at the other's sudden exclamation. "Please... My boyfriend's sick. I know you'd take care of Tao if he were badly sick.." Jongdae pulled the compassion card, hoping Junmyeon would let him skip work.

A loud sigh could be heard from the other side. "How do you keep getting me to agree to things like this? Whatever... take care of your boyfriend then." Junmyeon frowned, though he did get where Jongdae was coming from. "I expect you to work extra hard when you do come in. You owe me."

A big grin quirked Jongdae's lips up. "You know it! Thank you so much, sir. Alright, bye. Tell Tao I said hi." He hung up, slipping his phone back into his pocket.

"Alright~ schedule's all clear!" Jongdae walks over to his boyfriend's side.

Baekhyun smiles at the other. "So, can I call you nurse? Will you dress up in one of those skimpy nurse outfits?" He snickers at the thought.

Jongdae's cheeks turned a rather bright pink. "What?! No! I will not. I have no idea where you got that idea," the flustered male protested, much to the amusement of the bedridden male. He started laughing, though it soon turned into a coughing fit.

"I'm going to get you some water!" Jongdae exclaimed, taking off, a worried expression on his lips.

Baekhyun watched him leave, a small smile on his lips. 'I love you,' he thought, staring at the empty doorway.