Heart Fragments?

My Ex's (And The Oh's)

"Hey, Yeol." Baekhyun greeted his friend.

It's been a few days since he's seen his best friend so he scheduled this get together at his favorite cafe.

"Hey, Baek! How's the married life?" Chanyeol teases. He always thought the two seemed a lot like a married couple in the honeymoon phase.

"Ha ha... what about you?" Baekhyun fired back, referring to how sweet and sappy Chanyeol and Yixing could get.

"Yah, we're not that close..." Chanyeol pouted.

"You thinking of popping the question?!" Baekhyun was surprised, Chanyeol and Yixing haven't been dating that long. But he knew that look on his friend's face. It screamed 'in love' all over the place.

".. maybe.." Chanyeol pouted, looking at his friend for reassurance.

"Don't you think.... that it's a little too... I don't know, soon?" Baekhyun cautioned.

"No...? I mean, we both love each other. We say it all the time." Chanyeol offhandedly mentioned, not noticing the odd look on his friend's face.

"You tell each other 'I love you' all the time?"

"Yeah. I want him to know that I love him, so what better way to say it?" Chanyeol shrugged.

Baekhyun's been told 'I love you' by two people (not counting his parents). They were Jaehwan and Chanyeol, but even ten, they didn't say it often. It hurt hearing Chanyeol state that he says it all the time, just to remind the other of his love. Is this what love's like?

Baekhyun was lost to the present, his brain slipping back into the past.

Chanyeol seemed to have a sixth sense about when his friend starts reliving (sort of) the past. "Baek. Hey, Baek." He poked at his friend.

Baekhyun snapped out of it, a sad smile on his lips. "Sorry.." he apologized, noticing the ruined atmosphere now.

"It's ok," Chanyeol assured the other.

"Baekhyun?" An all too familiar voice sent chills down the aforementioned male.

"Jaehwan," Chanyeol gritted through his teeth at the sight of the man who broke his friend's heart (not including Chanyeol or Yixing or Sehun..).

"Chanyeol," the tall brunet mused. "Really? That one? I'm sure you could've done better, Baekhyun." He taunted.

Baekhyun was too caught up in the fact that his ex is standing in front of him to realize Jaehwan thought he was dating his friend (too late to think that, Jae).

Chanyeol, though, was too upset with Jaehwan to realize it either. "What are you doing here? I thought you moved to America with your girlfriend."

"Fiancé," the brunet corrected. "I did move to the states, but I've come back to check on my parents. I wanted to bring them over for the wedding."

"Wedding?" Chanyeol blinked, surprised that someone could actually marry this douche.

"Yes. Wedding. Man, did all those years affect your brain or something?" Jaehwan smirked.

"Yah! I'm not dumb!" Chanyeol hissed, glaring daggers at the amused male.

Baekhyun seemed to come back to the present. "It's nice to hear you're doing fine, Jaehwan... if you'll excuse us, we have somewhere to be." Baekhyun was surprised by how cordial he sounded, even though on the inside his emotions were sort of all over the place.

Chanyeol cast his friend a confused look, but stood up after him. He gave Jaehwan one last glare before following Baekhyun out of the cafe.

"Man.. I wasn't expecting to ever see him again," Chanyeol frowned, hurrying up to catch up to his friend, who's pace seems a bit brisk.

"..."

"Baekhyun..?" Chanyeol stared at his friend in confusion. He could barely make out the slight shaking in the other's shoulders.

"He seems like he's happy..." Baekhyun suddenly said out of nowhere.

"I suppose.." Chanyeol pursed his lips, unsure of where Baekhyun was going with this.

".. did he... no... ne- never mind," Baekhyun's brain was still dazed after seeing his ex.

"Baek...?" Chanyeol rubbed the back of his neck.

The brunet slowed his steps until he stopped completely. "Actually... I... I forgot, Jongdae's coming home earlier than usual, I wanted to make dinner.. I'll see you later.." Baekhyun lied, his excuse sounding lame even to him.

"Uh.. ok.. bye," Chanyeol watched his friend leave, his facial features marred with confusion.


Baekhyun was wandering around town, seeing but not really. He was barely avoiding running into people.

The brunet stumbled upon a small park, deciding to go sit on one of the park benches. He sat down, staring in front of him.

He doesn't know why he's feeling like this. Having seen his ex brought back unwanted feelings. Did he still have feelings for his ex? No? Sort of..? 

Baekhyun covered his face, frustrated.

How could seeing Jaehwan affect him like this? He thought he was over him? Well, didn't he think the same thing with Chanyeol when he found out Yixing and him got together?

It felt like, every time the brunet dated, he gave a piece of his heart away. And when it ended, that piece never returned, leaving a hole in his heart that wasn't replaceable. He wasn't the kind of person who was able to love without regret. He was the kind of person who, once they start dating, they give away a piece of their heart. Knowing they'll never get it back. Hoping it's returned with a piece of the other's. But so far, that's never happened. Not even with Chanyeol.

Baekhyun leaned back on the bench, staring up at the cloudy sky, nose scrunching at the sight of the gray sight. Seems like there may be rain. Great. Drown his miseries.

The brunet lost track of time, sitting on the park bench as he mulled over his thoughts and feeling.

He did't even notice when it started raining. Or when his phone started buzzing.

The rain was coming down in quick sheets, drenching the unprepared brunet to the bone. He sat there, shivering, shaking his head occasionally to get rid of the droplet of waters (or were those tears?) out of his eyes.

He suddenly heard someone shouting his name, slowly glancing up. He squinted through the heavy rain, barely making out the figure walking towards him.

Suddenly, the sound of raindrops hitting an umbrella was filling his ears as the person stood in front of him, the large yellow umbrella stretched out over both of them.

"Bacon.." the voice panted, warm, familiar brown orbs gazing into his own.

"... Jongdae," Baekhyun whimpered, one half from the cold, and the other half from the guilt.

"C'mon.. let's go home." Jongdae pulled the other to his feet. He took one glance at the shivering brunet and slid his large jacket off, sliding it onto the trembling body beside him.

"Let's go," he held his hand out to the other, smiling when Baekhyun took it.

It felt like the world slipped away when Baekhyun saw Jongdae's smile. The sounds of the raindrops hitting the umbrella faded out, a silence settling in as he walked home with Jongdae, gently squeezing the other's hand.

Maybe. Just maybe. This time, he'll receive someone else's piece of a heart.