Two to Three

My Ex's (And The Oh's)

Another year has gone by and Baekhyun's never been happier. His love for Jongdae has only strengthened as the years went by.

"Jongdae~" Baekhyun crooned into their small home.

"In the spare room," came the distant response.

The brunet wandered down the hall, glancing over at a picture he always passed, never failing to bring a smile to his lips.

It was a picture of Baekhyun and Jongdae kissing on the beach, a beautiful sunset behind them.

Baekhyun chuckled as the memory came back.

He and Jongdae had gone to Jeju Island for their third anniversary. It was the last night there and Baekhyun wanted something to remember this vacation, but he didn't want to buy anything.

They were strolling along the beach for the last time when they saw how beautiful the sunset looked. The idea for the picture came to Jongdae, the male explaining to his lover about it.

Baekhyun, ever confident (thanks to Jongdae~), wandered over to a woman walking by and asked her if she'd take a picture of them.

She was a very nice woman, agreeing with a small smile on her lips.

The couple weren't sure what to do, but the lady was very patient. They decided to kiss, leaning forward as the lady help up Baekhyun's small camera.

Click!

Their kiss at the beach was captured, reminding them of the fun that vacation caused.


"Bacon?" Jongdae interrupted the brunet's reminiscing.

"Oh! I'll be there in a second," Baekhyun turned away from the picture, heading towards the spare room.

He stopped in the doorway, watching his partner put together a crib, a smile on his lips as Jongdae muttered something about cribs and how hard they are to put together.

"It looks great." Baekhyun commented, smiling into the room.

"Bacon!" Jongdae stood up, startled a bit by Baekhyun's sudden comment.

"How's it going?" Baekhyun inquired, stepping further into the room.

"Great. Great. Having some trouble with the crib..." Jongdae pouted, walking over to his lover's open arms.

The two cuddled as they stared at the almost made crib, twin smiles on their lips.

"Another week until two become three," Baekhyun gleefully comments.

"I can't wait," the brunet's counterpart grinned.


The crib was finished a day later, the two sharing a bottle of champagne to celebrate Jongdae's hard work.

The couple was excited. This was a big step in their relationship, but it has been six years since they started dating, four since they got married, and they couldn't be happier with how things turned out.

 

Everything has gone wrong. It was a few days since the finalization when Baekhyun received a call.

The baby they were going to receive died, having caught a horrible flu. His immune system was not strong enough to fend it off, resulting in his premature death.

The couple had talked about getting a baby ever since Jongdae started baby sitting for his sister. Jonghye's daughter was adorable, capturing the heart of her two uncles in a heartbeat. Baekhyun would coo over the little babe, holding her in his arms as they curled up on the couch, imagining her as their own, contemplating the choice of getting a baby.

Baekhyun and Jongdae had sat down one night and talked it out seriously, knowing they'd only be able to take care of one kid due to their pays.

And now? The baby died prematurely. A few days before the finalization of the adoption.

Though Baekhyun did not know the child personally, he was attached to the idea of getting one and they had seen a picture of the baby, Baekhyun was in love. It was a beautiful baby boy, Baekhyun and Jongdae's hearts were captured by the sweet child.

So, even though the brunet did not know the baby personally, Baekhyun still cried over his death, curling into his husband's embrace as he mourned the loss of their beautiful baby.

Jongdae held onto his sobbing husband, trying to calm him as he bit back tears of his own.

The family of two were staring at the baby picture they received months earlier, noticing the bright smile on the baby's face.

"Look at him.. such a wonderful smile," Baekhyun pointed out, sadness oozing from his brown orbs.

"It was very bright.." Jongdae agreed, looking over the baby's picture.

The baby was sixteen months old when he died. And he wasn't even named. He was found in a basket in front of an orphanage without a piece of paper identifying him.

Baekhyun had known the head of the adoption center the boy was sent to, having learned about him from her.

Baekhyun was going to name the boy Haru, which meant day, because not a day would go by without a smile from his son. But now, it'll be because not a day will go by that Baekhyun doesn't think about Haru.


It's been a few weeks since the death of Haru, Baekhyun and Jongdae were back to functioning. Baekhyun still quietly mourned Haru whenever he had some quiet time, but other than that, they showed no visible signs of mourning.

It was a Saturday afternoon, both men were off from work. They were relaxing in their favorite coffee shop for one of their little dates, sipping coffee and chatting about their day, when Baekhyun noticed a little boy zip by the shop, a large man giving chase.

Jongdae saw the boy go by as well, the two sharing a curious look.

Well, as the saying goes 'curiosity killed the cat' because the young men stood from their table and hurried out of the shop, taking off in the direction they last saw the two run towards.

Baekhyun couldn't shake the sight of fear on the boy's features, a protective feeling going out to the boy as he hurriedly searched for him.

They found the large man a few minutes later, looking around confusedly. Baekhyun and Jongdae watched the man cross the street, looking extremely lost.

"He lost the boy..." Jongdae pursed his lips, glancing around the less than busy street.

"Hey! Is that..?" Baekhyun nudged his lover, pointing at a familiar t-shirt running out from behind a large trash can.

"I believe it is." Jongdae noticed that the boy was running towards them, though he seemed a bit distracted. The brunet purposely got in the boy's way, letting him run into him.

"Oh my, I'm sorry.. are you ok?" Jongdae helped the boy up, a gentle but firm grip on his wrist. "What are you doing in such a hurry? I'm sure your parents are worried looking for you," he cocked his head as he stared down at the little boy.

"My parents are dead," the little boy frowned. "Please let go of me, sir... there's this man trying to kidnap me!"

Jongdae's heart broke when he heard what the boy said. "Kidnap you? Oh no... Bacon and I will make sure that doesn't happen," Jongdae squatted, holding his pinky out. "I promise nothing bad will happen to you," he gave the boy a warm smile.

The little boy looked a little apprehensive, but he twirled his little finger around Jongdae's. "Promise?" His little voice wobbled.

"I promise." Jongdae stood up, picking the boy up to hold him in his arms. "Let's go hide from the big meanie."

The little boy gave a small smile, snuggling into Jongdae's chest for warmth.

The three headed down the street, Baekhyun keeping an eye out for the large man while Jongdae told the little boy stories to pass the time.

"Are you ok with coming home with us?" Jongdae inquired, smiling at the boy who nodded slowly.

"Ok. It's settled." Baekhyun wondered what they were getting into.

The three made it home to Jongdae and Baekhyun's house.

They were all settled on the couch, Baekhyun sitting to the left of Jongdae, the little boy was to the right of Jongdae.

"So, how old are you?" Baekhyun questioned, curious.

"I'm..." the little boy was counting on his fingers. "Five!"

"Five? Wow, what's your name?" Baekhyun thought the other was so cute.

"My name..? It's Haru." He looked up at Jongdae, who did not notice Baekhyun's stunned face.

"H- Haru?" Baekhyun's voice wavered, something akin to a tear welling up in his eyes.

Jongdae could hear the waver, glancing over to at Baekhyun, his eyes widening when he noticed how close to tears Baekhyun was.

"Hey.. don't cry~" the little boy had gotten off the couch and was standing in front of Baekhyun, patting his leg comfortingly.

Baekhyun sniffed, a fond smile dawning on his lips. "He would've been just as sweet as you.." He murmured, blinking back the unshed tears.

It seemed to dawn on Jongdae who Baekhyun was talking about, a bittersweet expression on his face as he listened to the other.

"Well, Haru... it's been a long day, are you thirsty? Hungry?" Baekhyun's poker face betrayed no emotions, but his voice did. It had a slight tremor in it.

"Can I have some water, please?" The little boy had great manners, a very knowledgeable child.

Baekhyun nodded, standing up from the couch, heading to the kitchen to get Haru some water.

Jongdae watched his husband leave, a worried expression on his face.

"Hey, mister," Haru poked at Jongdae's leg. "Can I watch cartoons?"

Jongdae smiled at the little boy. "Sure!"

When Baekhyun came back, his face was a little wet looking but Jongdae didn't comment on it, taking the glass of water from the other to give to Haru before setting it down on the coffee table.

The three ended up watching cartoons for a few hours, the two adults getting into it.

Though, by the end of the cartoon marathon, Jongdae had two people asleep on him.

Haru, to his left, curled up into his side, and Baekhyun to his right, curled up into his side.

'How adorable!' Jongdae thought, finding both of them too cute.