Chapter 8: Rage

Mistakes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8: Rage

People said that through their eyes you can see someone’s feeling and Gong Yoo would never forget the silent rage on Eunji’s father’s orbs. It’s not a mere disappointment, or rather, close enough to disgust. As if a thick wall was built high between them, and the chance to destroy it was unmeasured.

When the father opened the door, his gaze landed on him right after. Upon his furrowed eyebrows a sudden defense reflected as if he’s facing a long awaited enemy. Gong Yoo was sure, her father sensed a huge trouble was coming.

The old man knew him, for sure. And as if it’s nothing new, this person pretty understood when a daughter who’s been in hiding even from her family suddenly coming with a man hand in hand didn’t simply mean nothing. Yet, he allowed them to speak, watching silently as her daughter sobbing in pain, couldn’t even manage a proper sentence and her wife trembling next to him. His eyes never left this infamous man in front of him. And a raw hatred was born for this stranger.

“When you broke up with Jiyong, I thought it’s what best for you. You know Dad never been fond of him.” Jung Wongil broke the dry silent between them. His gaze was not even moving from Gong Yoo’s brown iris. And a familiar name was dragged into their talk as if it’s meant to leave a scar inside stranger’s chest.

It might not been said in a manner that lead to adoration, but the fact only that his name was familiar to this family had pushed him backward even before he started his step. Kwon Jiyong wasn’t just a mere name, Gong Yoo now completely noticed.

“But Dad’s always sure of one thing, he took care of you better.” And a strike was made. Without breaking the eye contact, Gong Yoo too was sure, this man indeed meant to point out his major weakness. And he’s right.

“Dad …” Eunji had tried, but he tightened his grip on her hand, signaling her to do nothing. Right when he decided they have to see her parent, he’s prepared for whatever coming.

And not even wavering, the old man continued. His eyes were reflecting disgust and anger. Truth was, Gong Yoo never seen someone seeing him in this level of disgust, it was slowly consuming his self-esteem.

“He tried so hard to be part of our family even though he knew the success rate was so low. But now Dad regret it, Jiyong is surely much better than a stranger that’s suddenly coming and claiming he’s your fiancé, Jung Eunji.”

“Dad, please!”

Again Gong Yoo gripped her hand tighter, softly mumbled that he’s fine so that it’s only her who could hear.

“Do you know what really upsets me?” Jung Wongil muttered between his gritted teeth, trying his best not to burst out like a mad man. But his eyes itself were enough to tell how much he wanted to punch the man in front of him. “It’s not that you coming home bringing a baby in your womb. No.” He took a silent breath before raising his hand, pointing his finger onto Gong Yoo’s eyes, “it’s that this stranger has broken every piece of your dream and effort! How can you let something like this happen, Jung Eunji!”

The father finally broke. His voice trembled in rage as he’s rising to stand. Eunji was about to put back her defense but Gong Yoo’s move flustered her. Loosening his grip on her hand, in front of her parent he fell on his knees, head bowing facing the floor.

Her tears burst out again, and as if natural, her body followed. Joining next to him, as if it’s what always their original plan from the beginning. It’s their fault, it’s their mistake. The only thing they could do was accepting people’s judgment. No complaining, they deserved it.

And the truth was, it stunned the father, their action. Especially how the man in front of him didn’t say anything to his excuse and rather swallowed everything. It irritated him in certain way, and he needed to tell himself that he’s not going to be moved.

“This doesn’t mean anything,” he said to them, but it seemed that he needed this reminder more than anyone.

“I can’t believe someone I don’t even know did this to my family,” he continued attacking, his voice was getting hoarse and heavy. “You begged me to be a singer, to leave this family for your dream, and to come back home giving up on it. What is your actual plan, Jung Eunji?!”

“Dad-

“It’s my fault,” Gong Yoo immediately cut her words. Although her father had been as if taking every word directing to his daughter, he’s completely aware that all of them actually meant to him. “None of these mistakes is in Eunji’s responsibility. I am to blame, all of them.”

“Then who the hell are you?!” Jung Wongil’s trembling voice rose, echoed in the room.

“Yobeo…” Kim Mijung, Eunji’s mother, tried.

“Who the hell are you coming to my house destroying my daughter’s life?!”

“Dad-

“WHO THE HELL ARE YOU COMING HERE JUST TO RUIN MY FAMILY?! WE DON’T EVEN KNOW YOU! WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO BARGE INTO OUR HOUSE?!”

“DAD, STOP!” Eunji yelled at the top of her lungs. “This is the person I love, he’s the father of my baby, I don’t want to lose any of them. I can’t. And if you’re talking about my life, my dream, all those are mine. I decide what’s better for me. So, stop hurting this person.”

“Jung Eunji! HOW DARE YOU!”

“Yobeo-

“We made a mistake, we do know that. But do you even consider what I’ve been through? This is not easy for me. I myself have ruined my life. I am doomed, Dad. And do you know what this person did to me? I hid this from him. I don’t want anyone to be hurt! But he looked for me, he came to me, and he let me sleep without a nightmare, and for the first time in this pregnancy I feel so safe-

“Don’t speak to me as if I am not in pain, Jung Eunji! Before he came to you, he hurt you! He came to you because he hurt you! THIS WHAT MATTERS!

“HE DIDN’T!” Eunji rose, feeling frustrated and a foreign feeling growing inside her body. Gong Yoo followed her move, attempting to stop her, but she’s faster. “Don’t twist the fact. He came to me because he cares with me. And. That. Is. What. Matters.”

“Eunji, enough,” Gong Yoo tried once more.

“Are you now standing for a mere stranger than your own family?!”

She growled, feeling utterly upset for a reason she’s not even aware. “Stop calling him a stranger, Dad. He is not. He is my family too-

“Am I not then?-

“And stop twisting my word. You know it’s not what I mean. We just want to get your blessing-

“Now you’re bringing my blessing as if it’s important. You don’t even listen to me-

“Because you don’t yourself. You close your ears and heart for what really matters here-

“Don’t lecture me, daughter!

“Eunji, please, enough.” Gong Yoo held her arm tightly, preventing her to be reckless. But it seemed to give no impact.

“The first thing that Sunbae asked me when we met again was to meet you, to ask Dad’s and Mom’s blessing, to stop hiding this from you. Do you know why I stayed far from you? Because I am a coward, I was scared, Dad. This mistake scared me. My company wanted to get rid of this, turning their back at me. I lost of option, this scared me, Dad. This is beyond what I could take. But he came to me, and keeps telling me that we’re fine, that we’ll be fine. What do you want me to do? Tell me what you want me to do?!”

Gong Yoo couldn’t take it anymore. He brought his hands to her shoulder and pulled her into his chest. “It’s okay, enough, Eunji,” he gently whispered, trying to win over her persistent sob. And she responded almost immediately with the left energy she had, holding tightly onto his clothes, knowing she’s on her limit.

This sight was new to Jung Wongil. How often they came in different argument, they never crossed into this type of fight. But Eunji for the first time raised her voice in front of him for someone he’d never imagined would ever stand inside their house. Not even Kwon Jiyong could.

Faintly he could hear his wife sobbing silently on her seat while he himself was still in daze over the confrontation. There were so many things he wanted to question, he believed he’s not even done yet. But seeing the sight in front of him, where his daughter looked nothing but a fragile woman he realized he had nothing to give to her. And the man he persistently called as a stranger looked strangely capable enough, more than enough, to give everything he couldn’t to her.

Jung Wongil was defeated. And with that realization he walked away, leaving the room, heading out.

*

Gently Gong Yoo brought his hands cupping her cheeks, it soon carefully wiped the tears that seemed more stubborn than it was usually.

A familiar faint smile welcomed her gaze, understanding, “are you okay now?”

She nodded, assuring. But locking eyes with him, she found something odd, something she soon regretted. Their proximity was too close, too dangerous for her heart to admit something new was growing inside of her. Immediately she loosened her grip and even leaned backward.

He, though, didn’t seem affected as his smile getting thinner, satisfied enough with her answer. While he raised his hand to her head, he told her to stay inside. “I’ll talk to your dad,” he continued. And as if in reflex Eunji tightened back the grip on his clothes and shook her head.

“Eunji, it’s fine,” he assured, and she’s not convinced. Again she shook her head, disagreeing.

“I need to talk to him, I have too.”

“But-

“I’ll be fine, we’ll be fine, I promised you before,” he patted the crown of her head and something about his gentle touch getting more difficult for her to handle. Her grip loosened by then, agreeing.

Gong Yoo raised his sight and met with Eunj

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter