Chapter 9: Door

Mistakes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9: Door

Busan was quiet and peaceful when they left, it’s around four. Mom was crying silently as she hugged her daughter, one more time she tried persuading her precious child to stay but the girl only shook her head and tightened the hug, wishing it’s enough to ease the mother. Dad didn’t say much, he quietly hugged his child, not muttering a word, he needed time and she got it. Gong Yoo earned a warm hug from her mother and as a reply he promised her to take care of her daughter. Dad was sighing before he patted the younger’s arm, he was holding himself and through his gaze the younger perceived.

“I trust you,” Dad said, and anyone knew it wasn’t a compliment. The weight put on that sentence was firm and rather obvious. The true message within that statement was not simply a promise, it’s the definite price that Gong Yoo had to pay. A trust, a must he had to give to Eunji’s father.

Nodding then bowing, Gong Yoo delivered his answer silently. And that’s how he earned a weak nod from the older. Mom was smiling thinly although her tears were lingering.

The ride was quiet. They called a driver so that the couple could at least sleep on the car throughout the ride. That’s the plan and actually Jung Eunji had been trying to, she needed to, not just because her body needed it but rather to avoid any contact with him.

To be completely honest, Eunji thought she’d prepared, she had to, but reality seemed to mock her. Fear now slowly crawled inside her body, as if trying to dominate her mind, to show her true feeling that she’s still small, weak, helpless and pathetic. That she’s not worthy enough to handle this road. That she could only use this certain person next to her to get her out from this dark circle.

Could she? Can I really?

She repeatedly questioned herself. And of course, she had nothing to reply. Her tears naturally escaped through her closed eyes. And without her realizing, her breath getting heavy and it’s a bit suffocating.

No matter how much she tried to open her eyes it’s pitch black in front of her. And it’s getting hard to even breathe. Her chest was so heavy that she believed she’s almost lost to the pain. And that’s when she saw a small light coming to her, approaching her with familiar warmth.

There she met eyes with the little boy that visited her last night. He was smiling, very wide. His petite hand grabbed hers and with his dazzling grin he swung their hands together back and forth.

“Mommy!” he shouted and as if she earned unspoken answer, Eunji could breathe again.

 

 

Gong Yoo just put down his phone when he averted his gaze to the side, to check on her again. Finally feeling his aching body, he realized that everything he faced these three days had actually affected his body. The pain on his neck got him very uncomfortable, he thought it would be better if he could lie down on bed sooner. And to make it even worse, he’s completely awake.

Shaking his head lightly, he tried to shake away any bothering thought and decided to just close his eyes. He’s about to adjust his seat but suddenly halted by a weak groan from his side.

From the window glass next to her, he found Eunji whimpering in her sleep. Another nightmare, he guessed. As if not in control of his body, he naturally moved to her side. Very gently his hand moved her head, as he leaned close he brought her head to his side. Now that she’s on his sight, Eunji looked way more tired than he thought she was. He watched her unconsciously leaning to him and snuggled to his arm. Soon the furrow he previously found on her forehead slowly loosened. He let out a relieved sigh, grabbing and holding her hand tightly, he joined her and closed his eyes.

He thought it would at least take time for him to sleep, but it seemed sleepiness finally hit him. Vaguely he felt Eunji was reciprocating his touch, but he seemed getting very sleepy that he wasn’t sure whether it’s a dream or not.

That’s how they finally fallen asleep, and falling deep in their dream. And for some reason hers wasn’t dark anymore.

 

*

 

When consciousness slowly hit her, she felt comfortable warmth on her hand. And the first thing she saw when her eyes fluttered open was his hand, holding her petite fist. She looked up, and immediately found him next to her, eyes still closed, breathing steadily and quietly.

It happened again, the sight of him sleeping greeted her. And just like yesterday, sleeping with him next to her had brought that certain boy visiting her dream again. It’s not easy to accept it, but she felt that she’s getting so dependent on him.

She wondered if she’s even allowed to.

Slowly releasing the grip of his hand, Eunji tried to not wake him up. But she seemed to just fail it. Whimpering, Gong Yoo weakly groaned, couldn’t feel anything from one side of his shoulder. When his eyes fully opened, he slowly realized it’s still Eunji next to him, looking at him straight in the eye.

He recalled that cute morning gaze of her. A smile naturally formed, his eyes fluttered closed again as he took a deep breath, trying to regain his consciousness.

“What time?” he whispered with a lazy grunt.

“Almost eight, Sir. We almost arrive,” the driver answered instead.

Suddenly feeling the urge to wake up, he pushed open his eyes and sit straightly, “Oh really?” he muttered to belatedly realize Eunji was still sitting slightly facing him and dazed.

“Eunji?” he asked with a questioning look. Not sure why she had that flustered look on her face.

But she avoided him instead. “Aniyo,” she muttered as she adjusted her seating position, trying to break their dangerous proximity.

The car was soon heading into a secluded area where Gong Yoo’s family had been living for ages. It’s pretty far from the town and the neighborhood was rather quiet, a convenient living place for artist who preferred quiet life.

As they arrived, Gong Yoo came out first to open her door and help her getting out the vehicle.

“You’re okay?” he asked while offering his hand.

Eunji nodded lightly, and awkwardly accepting his hand. Deep down trying to remind herself that she had to get used to this kind of gesture.

Standing tall in front of her, he extended his other hand to fix her bang. His gaze lingered, watching his own hand caressing her hair, not even realizing such gesture had affected her experiencing an uncomfortable tingling sensation inside her womb.

Quietly she kept her gaze down as she waited for him, there she didn’t realize Gong Yoo was staring at her in silence, studying her pale feature. hoping she looked up at him.

“Let’s go,” he muttered finally.

When they stood facing the brown wooden door, Eunji could feel her breath halted, both of her hands were so cold and she believed it wasn’t because of the weather that’s already killing. Eunji tightened the grip of Gong Yoo’s hand, she’s aware that such gesture was new to them but she needed it nevertheless. She needed something to hold, something that reminded her that she’s not standing by herself.

He turned his head, checking her but her eyes were locked on the door, and for that he squeezed her petite fist.

The door was suddenly opened from the opposite side, flustering both of them, Eunji in particular.

Standing in front of them were his parent. As if expecting them already, they had disappointed and upset gaze on their face. His father was tall just like him, his face flushed red, and it’s the familiar red Eunji’s father had yesterday. Her mother was quiet, she had tired look well reflected on her eyes, and those bag eyes could enough tell for how long she had cried before they came.

As if time’s been stopped, they stayed still on their feet, watching their son and the girl they probably never knew existed standing in front of them with hand in hand.

Imagining how they would blame them, disregard them, and probably ignore them at the end caused her chest getting heavier, she could feel her feet shaking lightly although the effort she made to suppress them. She bowed down her head even before anyone spoke, greeting with the best strength she managed. Truth to be told, her gut to face them decreased rapidly, she’s almost losing to herself.

“Mom,” Gong Yoo whispered, his voice was steady, straight and firm despite their situation. He greeted first, steeping into the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter