Chapter 10: Comfort

Mistakes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 10: Comfort

It’s almost midnight when the legal chief wrapped the meeting. With the confident smile remained on his lips, Gong Yoo believed that the entire plan would work. He trusted his company, and more than anything his people’s trust on him strengthened him.

He still remembered how they greeted him this morning and immediately resumed the greeting with their plans. He was informed that the legal team had been staying in the office since yesterday to perfect everything. They wouldn’t let him fight this alone, was what his CEO said.

Not that it’s surprising, but their remark of how they trusted his choice couldn’t fail to move his heart. As he stated during the meeting, “my priority is that I want to make sure no one hurt Eunji and our baby.”

The team nodded, not even questioning him and rather immediately reconstructed some of their plan to make it the least damage on Eunji’s side.

So when he returned home and greeted by Eunji’s worried gaze, he answered her with a thin smile. Deliberately assuring that everything was under control.

“You should be sleeping, Eunji,” he commented as he looked at his watch.

Eunji walked towards him, not replying yet. “Did you have dinner, Sunbae?”

He looked up, not expecting the question. He shook his head lightly, remembering that he ditched the food so he could focus on their meeting more. And now that he’s not in working mode, he could feel his stomach grumbled, asking to be feed.

“I’ll heat up the dinner, wait,” she replied right away, leaving him stunned on his feet.

So this was how it felt, he thought. To have someone waiting for you, to have someone worrying over your dinner. He almost forgot how it felt, it seemed it had been so long since he had this feeling. Before he moved out from this house, his mother always waited for him when he had schedule until late night. And how funny it was that it took this house again after so many years to teach him this little warmth he missed.

As he sat on the dining chair, he amusedly watched Eunji clumsily prepared his food, obviously not familiar with their kitchen. It reminded him of the night on her apartment, on her tiny yet comfy kitchen. She was better there, looking much comfortable on her own set. He shouldn’t have fallen asleep back then, this look was surely giving a new definition of home. Home, was he finally?

The late dinner was quiet, a pleasant silence indulged them in their own thought. Eunji didn’t speak anything and neither did he. She waited as he finished his meal. The ambiance was oddly too comfortable that he almost forgot they had a long way to confront.

“So … are we going to talk now?”

It’s an expected question. He believed she’s been staying until now because of the big issue. Although he wished she was sleeping by the time he returned, he couldn’t lie how his chest twitched in bizarre thud as soon as he saw her. His body seemed to react better compared to how his mind could explain.  To be completely honest, he wanted to get used to them as a partner as soon as possible. But something within him had sorted his priorities. He needed to stand up first, to take the responsibility properly after knowing how much she suffered.

Gong Yoo didn’t want to see her crying, hurt, broken again like how these three days had him learned. It hurt him in a very peculiar way. And more than anything, he longed for her smile, that little sunshine on her lips that once he encountered, that he’s once charmed, before all of this.

“I want you to sleep,” he stated as eyes lingered to her worried gaze.

A frustrated frown formed on her forehead as she heard his request. This sunbae had to know that she didn’t want to sleep, she didn’t need it. What she needed right now was everything that had been keeping him in his office. She had a right to know and she believed he knew that. Eunji deserved to learn what and how they’re going to continue this. And not tomorrow, now.

She was upset enough when he disallowed her to come with her to the meeting. Staying at this new place the whole day while knowing nothing frustrated her so much that she nearly blamed him. She knew she had to hold herself, she knew he would take care everything. And it’s not that she didn’t trust him, it’s because she did, that she didn’t want him to do this alone.

“I want us to sleep, Eunji,” he called as if knowing the battle inside her head. “You need it, we need it,” he followed.

Eunji wanted to disagree but she’s stopped as Gong Yoo stood up, offering his hand.

Questioningly she looked at his gesture, not sure how to process his invitation.

“Let’s sleep, Eunji,” kindly he repeated and something about the way he called her had affected her composure. It’s there again, the weird sensation from her womb. It’s getting too profound that she started to recognize it. And maybe it’s why she gave up. Awkwardly taking his offer and let him lead them together to his room.

His hand was cold, unlike hers. Although the distance between the dining room to his room was not far, in that short moment, she learned how big his hand compared to hers. And she didn’t know why he had to hold her so tightly. This gesture that he had been giving to her was indeed odd. It’s not about liking it or not, but she couldn’t completely know how to react except accepting it. And if she’s honest with herself, some part of her started to feel comfortable with it.

He carefully opened the door, trying to not making unnecessary noise. “Good night,” he said as he let go her hand. A strange twitch greeted her chest, as if screaming over the lost contact of his touch.

Not quite understand, she looked up with a confused look. Something seemed missing, but she’s not even sure what it was.

“I’ll stay on the guest room, there,” his hand pointed at the end of the hallway, again as if he could read her mind. Her eyes followed his direction and she made a noticeable nod. “Have a rest, I’ll wake you up tomorrow morning, and we talk,” continued him with a thin smile.

Again Eunji nodded, not having anything better than the gesture. Although he’s not saying anything, she knew he’s tired, and yes, they needed to rest, her body too admitted this.

The older made sure she entered her room before he left for his own, not knowing she’s puzzled on her feet once the door closed. Eunji was not moving from her position, watching her bed with empty head. Something was surely missing.

 

Not too different to Eunji, Gong Yoo didn’t even touch the bed, he’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter