V

Maybe In Time

 

Summer don't know me
He just let me love in my sea
Cause I do know, Lord
from you that just died

Don't stop the buck when it comes
It's the dawn, you'll see
Money won't get there
Ten years passed tonight
You'll flee

If you do that
I'll be some
To find you

I saw that day
Lost my mind
Lord, I'll find
Maybe in time
You'll want to be mine

 

- El Manana, Gorillaz

 

 

 

 

I filed an indefinite leave from work. I went home to my parents and told them the news. They cried as I have expected but they have always been supportive of me, respecting my wishes.

 

 

 

 

My first day back, Ji was already there to visit me.

 

“News sure travels fast” I said as I opened the door and saw him.

 

“Of course. I’m here to visit my favourite noona doctor” he replied as he came in.

 

“I’m resting Ji. Why don’t you bother some other girl in the neighbourhood” I suggested.

 

“Do you really want me too?” he asked rather seriously.

 

I felt a prick in my chest as he said so.

 

“If that’s what you want” I said and shrugged my shoulders.

 

“Nah! Been there, done that. Besides, I already have the girl I want right here” he said and looked at me with those brown eyes again. Seriously, looking at another person like that should be illegal.

 

“Ji, we’ve only started out as friends again so please stop.” I said.

 

“Stop what?” he asked feigning innocence.

 

“Stop looking at me like that!” I said all flustered as he kept on looking at me.

 

“Are you bothered noona?” he said teasing me.

 

Idiot! He really shouldn’t mess with me right now.

 

“Go home Ji. Just drop by again later. I want to rest for a while” I said.

 

“Okay then. But if I do, I’m not calling you noona anymore” he said as he opened the door.

 

“Eh?” I threw him a confused look. Now what is he up to?

 

“From now on, I’ll just call you Dara. You have got to realize that I’m all grown up now” he said as he grinned and closed the door.

 

He sure has.

 

 

 

 

 

True to his word, Ji dropped by and brought me some pretty flowers.

 

“What’s this for?” I asked. “It’s not Valentine’s and I’m not sick. It’s not even my birthday”

 

“I just felt like it. Besides, isn’t a guy supposed to give flowers to girls they l…”

 

I cut Ji before he could say more. “I thought I made it clear Ji. We’re only just friends”

 

“I was hoping I could change your mind about that. I’ve had a lot of time in my hands when you were gone Dara. And there was never a day I didn’t think about you. It took me a failed suicide attempt just to see you again. And now that I was given a chance again, I‘ll be damned if I let you get away from my life again.”

 

I was struck with the honesty of Ji’s words.

 

“Look, all I’m asking is a chance. I’m not making any promises, but I do know one thing, I’ll regret it if I don’t at least try. When I saw you again that day at the hospital, I felt like a dying man given his life back. I feel I am most myself when I am with you. Please let me prove to you the man I am now. All this time, it has always been you. I love you Dara” he said as he took my hand in his.

 

“You don’t even have to love me back, just let me love you. But I know you’d be lying if you say you don’t feel a thing for me.” he said as he stared into my eyes.

 

I didn’t know what to say. Rejecting him again, would hurt the both of us. It seemed that giving him a chance was the better option.

 

Could we actually work? I believed in chances and that once presented you should take them because you never know when you’d have them again.  It’s a part of my philosophy. So everything I did in my life, I did once and gave it my best.

 

But one chance at love?

 

 

 

 

 

“Alright, one chance” I said.

 

“That’s all I need” he said as he hugged me.

 

I hugged him back, still worried of how this will all end.

 

 

“Maybe… just maybe in time, you’ll want to be mine” I heard Ji murmur.

 

Oh God, I don’t want to be selfish but I hope I don’t regret this.