X

Maybe In Time

 

I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.

- Gilda Radner

 

 

 

50 years….

 

A boy who looked about 12 years old often said to have the temper of a dragon, and a girl about 8 years old wearing a princess tiara and holding a stuffed bunny were trudging the steep hill towards the cemetery.

“Oppa! Hurry!” the little girl impatiently said to the boy who was several steps behind her.

“Slow down a little!” the boy cautioned, catching his breath.

“You’re slower than my grandpa” the little girl teased.

“I’m not!” the boy denied.  “What do you want to show me here, anyway?” the boy asked.

“I already told you. It’s a surprise. I saw them a few days ago when we attended my grand uncle’s burial and I couldn’t believe it. I just had to show you.” The little girl said.

“So where is it?” the boy asked, as they reached the top of the hill.

“They have got to be here. They just have to be.” The little girl said, looking around the tombstones.

“You are really bad at directions. Where was it near when you saw it?” the boy asked impatiently.

“Oh! I remember. There were rosebushes planted beside them.” the little girl said and went to look for the rosebushes.

“You mean that one?” the boy said, pointing to a clump of red roses several meters away from them.

“That’s it!” the little girl exclaimed and ran towards them.

“Hey! Wait up!” the boy said and ran for the little girl.

Upon reaching the place, the little girl knelt and prayed.

“What are you—“the boy started to ask when he stopped upon seeing the combined tombstones.

The little girl stood up after finishing her short prayer.

“Were you surprised, oppa?” the little girl asked.

“Of course! I mean, who wouldn’t be? They have the same names as us!” the boy named Jiyong exclaimed.

“I was surprised too when I saw this. And I thought my name was one of a kind!” The little girl named Sandara said.

“How is this even possible?” Jiyong asked in wonder.

“That was why I wanted to show you this.” Sandara said.

“To creep me out?” Jiyong asked.

“Of course not!” Sandara stomped her feet at the stupidity of her oppa.

“To say that you wanted to change names?” Jiyong asked again, clearly trying to annoy Sandara.

“Stop acting stupid oppa! And I thought you were smart!” Sandara said all annoyed and walked out on Jiyong.

“Okay! Okay! I was just kidding.” Jiyong said and pulled Sandara’s hand back.

“Now tell me, why did you want me to see this?” 

Sandara blushed a little before she spoke. “Because I wanted you to think of me, when you plan to marry.”

“What?! I’m not even old enough to marry you or anyone else for that matter. I’m not even thinking about falling in love or such things.” The boy said.

“But someday you will right?” Sandara asked hopefully.

“Maybe in time” Jiyong replied.

“You better choose me or I will never talk to you again!” Sandara threatened him.

“Silly girl! As if we could choose who we will fall in love with.” Jiyong said.

“I’m not silly! I already chose you, oppa. I will love you forever!” Sandara said with conviction.

“Then, I guess, I don’t have a choice. The princess always gets what she wants” Jiyong said, mimicking a bow like a prince.

“Yipee! Maybe when I am sixteen I’ll ask daddy if you can court me. No, wait that still 8 years from now! Aisht! You better wait for me, okay?” Sandara warned him.

“We’ll see” Jiyong said, staring at the tombstones absorbedly.

Sandara too was staring at the tombstones, feeling happy that Jiyong has not let go of her hand.

“We should be going back now. Your parents are probably looking for you.” Jiyong said and pulled her towards the way back.

“I guess we should. But could we come back again, oppa?” Sandara asked.

“Sure, we’d come back again sometime. I know they would like us to visit them again” Jiyong said.

The boy named Jiyong and the little girl named Sandara, started their way downhill towards home, hand in hand, walking more slowly than before, both feeling a sense of contentment, unfazed by time nor the future.

 

 

 

At the top of the hill, there stands the aide memoire of a man and woman whose love for each other was beyond death.

 

 

Jiyong and Sandara Kwon

Husband and Wife

Their love goes beyond this life

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Thanks everyone for reading=)

My special thanks to Eminem, my PR manager. thank you and i love youheart

I know most of you have cried and you've been very expressive about it=) but i also hope i've made you smile and believe in a love that could last forever.

next to MBB, this is the most serious i've written about daragon.

i've always been fascinated by death, both in curiousity and fear. maybe because as humans, we are reminded that we are temporary. everything we have, everything we know, everything we are, they are just for now. when we die, we are dust in the universe.

we don't know what lies beyond and what comes after death. does one simply cease to exist? or do we carry our memories with us? people would say it stays in the hearts of those we leave. but what if no one is left who knows us? do we become forgotten?

and the feelings we have experienced, do they disappear with us? like love? i would not want to believe that love ends with the person's last breath. i would like to believe that as the person exhales, love is passed in the air and becomes a part of everything else. like the wind, invisible but its presence is felt. or maybe just like in Entwined, our hearts go up in the sky to become stars when we are gone.

i hope i'm not being too sentimental. i just have a first hand experience of what it's like to lose someone you love because of cancer, and my work exposes me to death more than the usual person. so i thought it would be helpful to write of the things i know.

i have already finished writing this story before i have come across john green's the fault in our stars. i recommend everyone to read it. it's not your ordinary cancer book or teenage romance either. it's full of teenage angst, philosophy, quotable quotes and unforgettable love. he wrote about things i've been pondering about myself.

Here's a passage that is unforgettable to me.

 

When you go into the ER, one of the first things they ask you to do is to rate your pain on a scale of one to ten, and from there they decide which drugs to use and how quickly to use them.

I’d been asked this question hundreds of times over the years, and I remember once early on when I couldn’t get my breath and it felt like my chest was on fire, flames the inside of my ribs fighting for a way to burn out of my body, my parents took me to the ER.

A nurse asked me about the pain, and I couldn’t even speak, so I held up nine fingers. Later, after they’d given me something, the nurse came in and she was kind of my hand while she took my blood pressure and she said, “You know how I know you’re a fighter? You called a ten a nine.”

But that wasn’t quite right. I called it a nine because I was saving my ten. And here it was, the great and terrible ten, slamming me again and again as I lay still and alone in my bed staring at the ceiling, the waves tossing me against the rocks then pulling me back out to sea so they could launch me again into the jagged face of the cliff, leaving me floating face up on the water, undrowned.

 

you'll laugh and then you'll cry. be warned: you'll love this book=)

 

again, thanks for reading, commenting, subscribing and for shedding tears.

another daragon fic finished, but as always their love continues=)