1. FIRST DAY IN A NEW HIGH SCHOOL

Major Park - Teacher Byun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sorry. We have to move again. But, I promise it’s going to be the last one!”

I heard my father told us the other night when we had dinner. I honestly did not know what to say about this since that was going to be like the tenth or eleventh time we moved. I stopped counting when I had to say goodbye to my school mates in fifth grade.

When we first moved – when I was around 7 years old – my mother explained that it was the risk my father had to take for serving for Republic of Korea Armed Forces. That time he was a Sowi[1] and before moving the house where we were staying, he was a Soryeong[2].

I loved my parents. I had a huge respect on my old man even though he never showed any emotions – just like me – he was my hero! And I loved my mother not only because she gave birth to me but because she was able to manage everything despite the fact that we had been moving around to maybe like ten different places. She understood that it was difficult for me because I did not really have a ‘good friend’ since I always had a new one every four or five years. And also because I was an only child, she was basically taking the role as my mother and sibling at the same time.

“Oh? It is unusual. This is just our second year here. We normally move after the fourth year,” I told my father.

“It’s because I will be promoted as a Jungnyeong [3]!” My father surprised us.

“What? Congratulations, Darling! I’m very happy for you!” My mother got up to peck my father’s cheek.

He said in a deep stern voice, “Thank you, Sweetheart!”

“I can’t believe it, Appa! Congratulations!” I said that while still sitting on my chair. It was a bit awkward for both of us men in this family to hug each other no matter how much we loved each other!

“Thank you, Chanyeol! I’m really sorry that you need to transfer to another school once again. This time we’re going to move back to Seoul! I really hope we’re going to live there until you graduate from high school!”

“That’s okay, Appa. I understand!” I gave him a smile to reassure both my parents that it was not a problem for me.

 

Seoul! I was born here but I did not really feel any special connections with this particular city. I went to school in Seoul until I was 7 years old. I did not really remember my school or class mates. Even if I forced myself to remember a single memory, nothing happened. I only remembered that it was a public school and that I had Miss Jung In as my first grade teacher. That was all!

My mother, as always, already took care everything so I only needed to go to my new school two days after we moved in. I put on my new uniform that morning. A little bit nervous because I did not know how city boys in my new school would treat this transferred student.

I went downstairs to have breakfast with my parents. I thanked my mother for making a delicious meal and pecked her cheek before going out to my father’s car. He would always try to take me to school unless he had another thing to do. I thought that deep down inside he felt guilty for making his family moving too often and tried to redeem that by taking his only son to school every morning.

“Are you nervous, Son?” He asked me with his deep voice.

“A bit. I don’t know how they will treat me in this new school!”

“Just remember that it’s best to stay away of trouble!”

“Yes, Sir! I’ll try my best!”

 

“This is Park Chanyeol, your new class mate. He just moved to Seoul from Busan. I hope that you’ll help not give any troubles for him and everyone will be able to work together well with Chanyeol. Would you like to say something, Chanyeol?” My homeroom teacher, Miss Jang Nara, introduced me to my new class mates.

“No, Ma’am. You have said all about me. I hope you don’t mind. Thank you very much,” I replied. Surprisingly for me, she smiled and showed me the second row.

“You can sit there, Chanyeol, second chair from the back, next to Kim Jongdae!”

“Thank you, Ma’am!”

I walked to my chair and felt some people were looking at me. I sat on an empty spot and the boy on my left smiled. I guessed he was Kim Jongdae.

“Hi, I’m Kim Jongdae. Nice to meet you!”

“Hi, I’m Park Chanyeol. Nice to meet you too!”

And after a small introduction, Miss Jang Nara started the first lesson of that day.

 

It was lunch break and Jongdae asked me to have lunch with him at the cafeteria. I nodded and followed him. He told me the rooms that we passed on our way to lunch. I looked at each of them without really registering everything in my head.

“So, why did you move here?” Jongdae asked as we started eating.

“My father is –“ I could not finish my sentence because suddenly a girl sat next to Jongdae and without apologizing one of them said, “I see that you’ve got a new cute friend, Jongdae? Who are you, Sweethea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter