A Beautiful Goodbye

Beautiful Goodbye

 

One Year Later…

Amber’s P.O.V

 

Key and I were in the car, driving to the International Airport. We had finished high school a few months before and now we were sending off a very good friend of ours to America.

As we got to the airport, hand in hand, we strode to the terminal hand in hand. We stood around, awkwardly waiting for her before we were attacked with a hug from behind.

 

“YOU’RE BOTH HERE!” she cried.

 

I turned around and held my arms out.

 

“NICOLE!” I beamed as she ran into our arms.

 

“WOOO GROUP HUG!” cried Key, who started making weird noises.

 

Nicole and I let go of him, linked arms and left Key standing alone with Nicole’s entire load of luggage.

 

We glanced at him before speaking really loudly.

 

“Nicole do you know him?” I asked.

 

She laughed and shook her head.

 

“Nup… I don’t know that weird person who made weird noises during our group hug.”

 

“YAH!” yelled Key. “Just because I have muscles, doesn’t mean I can lift all these suitcases by myself! If you guys don’t come back now, I’m going to leave the luggage and Amber at the airport!”

 

Nicole and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. We quickly walked back to him and picked up some bags, tears of laughter escaping our eyes while we were at it.

 

“What are you guys laughing at?!” he demanded.

 

“Muscles? Muscles? From carrying around all those shopping bags?” laughed Nicole.

 

“EXCUSE ME MISS! BUT I DO HAVE SOME GUNS! Here, look!”

 

It looked like Key forgot that he was holding one of Nicole’s suitcases, because as he said for us to look, he suddenly let go of it to pull up his sleeve, and it landed with a loud bang on the ground, missing his foot by a few inches.

 

“Yup… so strong that you dropped my suitcase Kim Kibum!” joked Nicole.

 

He laughed nervously and pulled the suitcase upright before lifting up his sleeve and flexing.

 

“See look!” he pointed.

 

“So what am I looking at?” I laughed.

 

“I just see pale, milky skin… Which should be illegal for a guy!” giggled Nicole.

 

Key glared at us.

 

“I can’t wait till you're gone, cause when you two are together, I suffer from this!” he yelled and stomped off to find an airport trolley to put Nicole’s bags and suitcases on.

 

“We didn’t take it too far… did we?”

 

Nicole cringed.

 

“It’s just Key being a Diva, something I haven’t seen in a while…”

 

We stood for a few minutes, waiting for Key to be back with a trolley, but when the trolley did come, there was no Key. We looked up, puzzled and saw Key staring at the trolley and avoiding eye contact with us. We shrugged as we figured that Key had probably pushed it to us from where he was standing. I helped Nicole place her suitcases and bags on the trolley. As soon as we were done, we started to head towards Key.

 

I stood next to him and placed my head on his shoulder. He stood there stiffly and silently and again, he still avoided eye contact with both of us.

 

Nicole and I exchanged a glance. Maybe we did take it too far.

 

I bit my lip.

 

“Errmm… Key… we’re sorry for teasing you about your… muscles…”

 

“It’s not that,” he muttered.

 

“What is it?” asked Nicole.

 

He shook his head. Then sniffed. He sniffed. I stood up straight and looked closely at his face. It was wet with tears.

 

“AWWW! KEY! YOU’RE CRYI-“ He put his hand over my mouth as I tried to speak.

 

“It wasn’t us right?” asked a worried Nicole.

 

He shook his head again and put his hand down.

 

“It is us?”

 

He sniffed again. Nicole and I both hugged him and as we did, he began to choke out a few words.

 

“I hate you so much for leaving Nic – You’re like a sister to me and when Amber and I started dating, we formed like, a kind of trio. I’m gonna miss this so much” he said, and then started to sob. My heart lurched. We had formed a really close bond in a matter of months. I was going to miss that so much.

 

Nicole patted his now blonde hair.

 

“I’ll be back you know! It’s not forever!”

 

“These few years won’t be the same without you!” sniffled Key.

 

“Yeah it won’t be, I can’t believe you’re going to Julliard” I said, while trying not to cry.

 

We stood there, hugging for a few moments before walking silently towards the check-in area. Later on, as Nicole unloaded her luggage, we were still in silence, mourning over Nicole’s departure. As Nicole reached her gates, she gave both of us a bear hug and smiled, despite the tears welling up in her eyes.

“I’m going to miss you guys so much!”

 

“Of course you’ll miss me!” cried Key, returning to his Diva self once again.

 

“Promise to call and email ok?” I said.

 

Nicole nodded.

 

After our teary farewells and goodbyes, Nicole turned to leave. As her ticket was checked, she quickly ran back to us and gave us another hug.

 

“I swear if you guys break up while I'm gone, I am going to come back and murder both of you. Got it?! Don’t you ever break up!” she threatened.

 

We smiled at her and smothered her in our last hug for the next few years.

 

As she left, Key took my hand in his and we walked back to our car.

 

“I have a feeling Nicole won’t be able to murder us as she intends to,” said Key.

 

“Why?” I asked, my heart thundering against my rib cage. We had stopped walking.

 

“Because, we will never have to say goodbye,” he smiled, as he cupped my face and kissed me. 

 

~ END~ 

 

Author's note: I teared up while writing the last chapter. *sniffs* To my awesome subscribers, thank you for being patient at my irregular updating... I really wanted to finish this, at least before my exams, but due to a MASSIVE writer's block that didn't happen... I hope you all have enjoyed reading Beautiful Goodbye, which I originally intended for Key and Nicole to end up together and Amber being the one saying goodbye, but as the storyline progressed, it developed into what you have just read. :) Gosh I'm just rambling now. Anyway, please check out my new fanfic, Secret Love

 Just for fun :D Isn't the mascot so cute? ^^