So nervous!

Beautiful Goodbye

Amber’s P.O.V

 

I woke up to birds chirping and the sun shining brightly into my room. I smiled and pulled a pillow over my face to muffle my scream of joy. This was too good to be true! Key and I had been dating for nearly two months and it felt as if it went by so quickly. I looked at my alarm clock and saw that I was going to be late. I bolted out of the comforts of my blankets and quickly brushed my teeth, fixed my hair, pulled myself into a pair of jeans and a red checked shirt, grabbed my phone and some money then ran out the door.

 

After puffing and panting, I ran around a corner to the café where Key told me he’d be waiting for me, and then suddenly, I bumped into someone.

 

“SORRY!” I bowed, and instead of an “It’s ok” reply, I got a hug and a laugh. Alarmed, thinking that it was some random, I pushed the person and stepped back.

 

“Aww! Don’t you want a hug from me?”

 

I looked up at the person and saw it was Key. I sighed in relief, walked up to him and hugged him.

 

“I thought I ran into some creep…”

 

“You thought I was a creep?” pouted Key.

 

“Well if you look like that, with your hair sticking out like that and your creepy smile…” I joked.

 

“Yah! This smile is my standard ‘I’m happy to see you smile’ and I took so long styling this hair!” he cried.

 

I pinched his cheek.

 

“Pabo! I was only joking!”

 

He then took my hand and led me into the café.

 

“My friend is coming in thirty minutes,” he said as he looked at his watch, “You’ll love her!”

 

I smiled at him, yet despite being so comfortable with him around, I was half freaking out. What if she didn’t like me? What if she was someone that I wouldn’t like? What if she disapproves of our relationship? The questions kept popping up in my head. I was so nervous that I gripped Key’s hand harder.

 

“Calm down Amber! My hand might break and that’s a big no-no since our final exams are coming up soon…”

 

I released my grip on his hand and begin to tell him my worries. He smiled and ruffled my hair.

 

“Don’t worry about it! She’s really nice and accepting and I just know you’ll get along,” reassured Key.

 

I picked at my fingers as we sat in wait. Noticing, Key pulled one of my hands and held it, leading me to order a drink while we waited. When we sat down, I tapped my foot on the ground. A few more minutes before I met one of other important girls in Key’s life. I felt as if I was going to be interviewed or something. Finally, someone walked over to our table. Key lit up instantly and beckoned her over. As soon as she came over to us, my face broke into a smile. I couldn’t believe who it was.
 

Nicole’s P.O.V

 

As I stepped off the bus, I slowly walked towards the café where Key and his girlfriend were waiting. I’ll finally get to meet her after two months. I wondered what she’d be like. No matter who it was, I told myself that I would pretend that I did not have feelings for Key and be happy for them. I hoped whoever she was, that she’d make him happy. As I walked towards the café, I could not help but wonder what she looked like, what her personality was like, what she had that I didn’t, what made Key fall for her and whether we’d get along. I had a dull ache in my chest as I thought about them being together, I told myself that I would get over it and support them all the way. I continued weaving through the crowd of people towards the café, my mind, filled with questions about this girl. When I stepped into the café, I waved to Key and tried to get a glimpse of the girl. He was sitting directly in front of her so I couldn’t get an idea of what she looked like. As I walked towards them, I felt my stomach lurching and my heart hammering against my ribs. I braced myself for what came next and as soon as I saw who it was, I nearly had the biggest shock of my life.

 

“Amber?!” I cried.

 

“Nicole?”

 

“You guys know each other?!”

 

Despite feeling all sorts of weird emotions, somewhere among the mix of hurt, surprise and shock, there was some happiness sprouting. It was Amber.

 

I walked over and hugged Amber, my brain, still trying to process the fact that it was Amber.

 

I glanced back and forth between Key and Amber, who looked really awkward at the moment. Just looking at them, any initial feelings of hurt or sadness that I wasn’t the one started slipping away. They looked adorable together. I smiled at them.

 

“I can’t believe this! You guys should have told me earlier!” I scolded as we sat down.

 

They laughed nervously.

 

“When did you guys meet?”

 

“Last year,” they said at the same time.

 

When they realised it, they looked at each other and smiled bashfully. My heart ached slightly, but the feeling was numbed by the cuteness that was radiating off them.

 

“You guys have to tell me everything eventually… You know… my best friend and friend...” I laughed as I wiggled my brows comically. 

 

They both launched into the story of how they got together and their little incidences. As I sat back and listened to them, I could not help analysing every time they smiled at each other, every time their hands brushed against each other and every time they stole glances at one another. I felt a sense of longing and wistful thoughts on how I wished it was me. Don't get me wrong, I was completely over the moon for them. Key could not have had a better girlfriend and Amber could not have had a better boyfriend than Key – they were perfect for each other.

 

We sat in the café for hours before we all had to leave. As Key and Amber went off on their date, I headed to Hara’s house. I got to her door, the ache and longing had overwhelmed me. Hara was the only person who knew what I was going through. I didn’t dare tell Jiyoung as she was close to Amber. I was so happy for them, yet at the same time, the tears were flowing out because I wished that it was me that was with Key. They were perfect together and I would never do anything to jeopardise their relationship. After a few minutes of sobbing, I calmed down enough to tell her about what had happened. We ate dinner in silence before I spoke.

 

“I’ll get over it. It’ll take some time, but I will.”