Six.

Rose-Tinted Lenses

 

Joohyun is an enigma he cannot solve.

With her introverted nature, she is beauty enshrouded in mystery. Bogum supposes that is why nearly the whole student population is in awe over her when she first arrives, and how boys would constantly try, and fail, to get closer to her.

He does not know if it is because of her quietness and meekness, but on some days, he would see a tint of sadness glimmer in those big, black eyes of hers.

He would see it on days when the room would be in chaos. Whenever some classmate of theirs would succeed in pulling a prank or in telling some hilarious joke, and they would all roar in laughter.

She would sit primly in her place, minding her own business, and be so seemingly occupied in her work that no one would seem to mind.

This is Joohyun. The shy, pretty girl who constantly liked to keep to herself. Reluctant to associate with others, and seemingly, giving off a vibe above the rest.

It is normal behavior.

But then Bogum would see her eyes silently roam to the activity, and then he imagines seeing a flicker of loneliness and longing in those orbs. From being left out? He does not know, but he wants to reach out to her.

Oddly, after all these years, he has never seemed to.

He cannot pluck up the courage to do so.

He wonders if he ever will.

 

--

 

It is, in one of these days, that he finds Joohyun spacing out. She holds her head in her palm, tilting to the window, quiet obviously out of the meeting. Bogum clears his throat.

She still pays him no mind.

He inwardly sighs. Then proceeds on to talk about the plans for the upcoming school festival. He decides not to worry about her as she has been like this for the whole day. More reclusive than usual. Quiet.

What thoughts lie behind Bae Joohyun’s eyes?

He asks himself in days like these.

They are in the middle of voting if whether they should allow the martial arts club to switch time slots with the tea club when sounds of movement and noise drift in the classroom from the hall. He lets out a huff of annoyance, knowing all too well that all the clubs would be practicing right now, in overtime, for the upcoming event.

He blames their incompetent principal for not having it planned months beforehand, and he rubs the bridge of his noise.

Bogum hears the whoops and hollers. And when he spares a glance towards the open door, he sees the track-and-field team rush by in their sweatpants and jackets. He lets out a hiss. Irritated that the cadence outside is louder, and how time is ticking. The delay is unwelcome.

It is Wednesday evening, and everyone just wants the meeting to be over.

He waits for the noise to subside.

When it does, he opens his mouth to speak again.

“So the time slot for—“

“Joohyunnie!”

He halts and turns towards the door, the slight murmurs that the room had fades as the Council members all turn to see who dares interrupt their president when he speaks.

He is greeted by a panting, red-faced Seulgi by the door frame. Strands of hair cling to her face, and she wears the same get-up as her fellow track-and-field members. She holds a duffel bag close to her chest, and she stares expectantly in the room.

Bogum resists the urge to call her out. Seulgi is a nice girl. He does not want to embarrass her in front of the school’s ruling body. But still, what is done has to be done.

Seulgi does not seem to mind, and an expectant grin forms at her face. For a heartbeat, Bogum wonders if she is out of her mind, interrupting this incredibly important meeting, when he realizes she is staring at something in the room.

Someone to be exact.

Joohyun’s back is snapped to attention, and she sits straight and stares alarmed at the door. The haze that was in her eyes disappear, and somehow the regular her is back.

“Seul—“

Joohyun mouths something to the girl, a what?, and Seulgi beckons a hand out to her. His reprimand falls short, and he, along with the people in the room, watch their exchange curiously. It ends with Joohyun shooting one last furtive glance around the room, getting up from her chair, and muttering apologies all the way to the door.

She grabs Seulgi’s arm and tries to lead her out to the hall but the girl resists.

Joohyun nervously half-whispers.

“What are you doing?”

The room is dead silent by now, and Seulgi finally notices the atmosphere when she opens her bag. A solemn expression adorning her adorable face. Her grin falters but doesn’t disappear.

“This will just be quick,” she says while rummaging through her bag. “I have to go to dance practice right now, anyway.”

He hears the rustle of paper, and no one dares to speak. It must be an important matter if their vice-president finds it worth paying attention to.

Bogum too watches curiously, and he forgets how rude it may seem (and the meeting at hand).

He can tell that Joohyun is flustered, with the way the tips of her ears are red, and her hisses of telling Seulgi to hurry up. Despite it all, it is the first time he sees her don an expression other than somberness today.

Finally, she pulls out a folder.

Seulgi opens it, and pulls out a piece of paper. Joohyun frowns, and then her eyes widen once Seulgi smooths it out and hands it to her. All traces of anger gone in a second.

“I made this today.”

Joohyun grasps it, her eyes wide open. Seulgi grins and returns the folder to her bag, zipping it. She slings it over her shoulder and reaches out a hand to pat Joohyun’s head, all before the elder could even react.

“Feel better?” If it is possible, her grin widens even more.

“I—“

“I have to go now, though,” Seulgi walks backward and waves. She turns and jogs off and then she is gone.

Joohyun waits a while, before turning around and silently returning to her seat.

The silence prevails, and when he hears someone clear their throat, that is when Bogum remembers the meeting at hand.

Well.

He temporarily forgets it when he sees Joohyun’s face.

The slight quirk of her lips, a smile threating to bloom on her face, and the way she holds the paper close to her chest.

When Seohyeon is in the middle of giving out a suggestion, Bogum's eyes go to Joohyun and he catches her smiling softly while she looks at the paper.

He does not know why he is so mesmerized.

Then he remembers that it is the first time he sees her smile today.

 

--

 

A couple of students crowd over Joohyun’s chair once the meeting is over. As Bogum turns to return the eraser to its holder, he recognizes Seungwan to be in the throng. Joohyun allows her to pick up the paper Seulgi gave her.

“She’s really good!”

Seungwan tilts and moves around, as if seeing it in another light would somehow change whatever is in the paper, while Joohyun looks on. The others ooh and aah.

Bogum catches a glimpse of a drawing. The dark lines a stark contrast against the white paper.

“She is, isn’t she?” he hears Joohyun murmur proudly. Her eyes look fondly over the paper as Seungwan returns it to her.

“It really looks like you!”

She takes a step back while the others surge forward, eager to ogle at the drawing of Joohyun. He curiously watches the scene, marveling at the aura Joohyun emits. How different she seems.

He accidentally catches Seungwan’s eye.

He wonders if it is his imagination, but he sees her smile falter a bit, before returning, even more brightly.

He smiles back.

If they are happy, he is happy. If Joohyun is happy, then so will he.

He squashes the niggling feeling of uneasiness in him.

 

--

 

Seulgi draws Joohyun.

It is amazing how she captures the light of happiness in her eyes, all in a few and shades. The curve of her smile, and the gentle slope of her jaw.

Bogum wishes that he would see Joohyun look like this everyday.

He meets the drawing’s eyes.

How he wishes that Joohyun would look at him like this.

 

---