The Beginning of an End

Rose-Tinted Lenses

Change is inevitable.

            Seungwan cannot think of anything that doesn’t succumb to change, aside from of course, change itself. Humans, people especially are rather susceptible to it, but how could we not when change is in our nature itself?

            There is a constant presence of change in our lives, and like waves, Seungwan thinks it comes in different sizes. There are small ones, visibly ebbing and flowing; like a new haircut, or the different variations of makeup Soojung insists on putting on every morning (no matter how light Seungwan tells her it is, she can barely even see it). It laps away at your existence, prodding you for attention, but never harming.

            There are huge waves too. Building momentum and making a splash, that knocks one standing knee-deep in water, off-balance. Like the move from Canada to Korea. The sudden induction into the Student Council. The purple journal that Seungwan can never bring herself to return, and now resides deep within the bookshelves of her bedroom.

            The beginning of change starts with the humble swirl of waves on her toes.

            Tiny waves that you barely notice, until you stop and think, and feel it.

            It starts with Kang Seulgi.

            For the past year, it hasn’t been easy ignoring; playing dumb. She can’t tell anyone of course, not even Soojung, who somehow becomes one of her closest friends, because who would believe her?

“They’re not what you think, Wannie.” Soojung breathes out in amusement, once when she makes an off-hand comment about the closeness of two boys in their class, always pushing and prodding, and touching.

“It’s pretty common here in the South Korean culture. Skinship that is.” She tells it like it is the most obvious thing in the world, and somehow, it does make Seungwan feel kind of dumb with her tone, and all. (But Soojung always assures her that she thinks she is the smartest in their year.)

So when Seungwan finds out, reads about Joohyun’s feelings, she knows better than to tell her friend.

She does not want to spread gossip about her fellow Council member and Seulgi (Soojung’s friend who she grows fond of quite a bit, the girl is plainly likable), and she doesn’t know what to do.

Especially in times when she catches Joohyun’s eyes drifting off to stare at Seulgi. How occasionally, during the rare times she’d see them together, a small smile would play on the elder’s lips, a secretive one, as if reserved for Seulgi herself. Or how she only ever lets Seulgi call her Hyunnie or Baechu or any of those adorable nicknames.

(She remembers Baekhyun using the name in jest after Seulgi departs with a goodbye to Joohyun from the Council room. She has never seen eyes turn from warm coal, to wintry ebony as Joohyun’s did at the time.)

Or perhaps she is just being delusional.

It is small, insignificant waves that lap at her feet. It is nothing.

Nothing will happen.

When she sees her president’s feelings for Joohyun, she thinks nothing of it. A small crush. In fact, she finds it rather amusing how no one has caught on to it, his obvious goggling at the girl. She even goes so far as to .

Yet, waves, small as they are, are unpredictable.

She doesn’t expect Park Bogum’s admiration for the girl to fall deeper than she initially thought it to be, and when she finds out through the way of gossip and idle chitchat that somehow he has managed to actually get the girl, despite her ominous (or at least she hopes it was) warnings she is confused. Absolutely, positively baffled. Because is this not the same Bae Joohyun who confessed her love, her feelings, her pathetic admiration to a certain someone by writing in the pages of her diary?

The whole fiasco is a surf that she does not see coming.

“It doesn’t make sense, you know.” She tells Soojung, one time when they’re out in the halls. The flow of students pass them, and they are immersed in their own little bubble.

Seulgi had just left them, to go off to her own classroom, and she takes the chance to tell her. Normally, Seungwan isn’t one to indulge in gossip, but the news unsettles her, and she tells Soojung so.

“I don’t get why you’re so worked up over it. They’re classmates, and they both are in the Student Council. Now, look me in the eye and tell me you didn’t have a crush on Sunggyu-oppa last year.” Soojung smirks.

Seungwan colors. “Yah! You’re being unfair. He was a sunbaenim who actually took the time to guide me, a transferee, through the motions.” She colors even more when she remembers his melodious voice in the music club, and how she thinks it could never be the same, now that he graduated. (She didn’t join the club this year, because she reasons to Soojung, she’s too busy, now that she’s appointed secretary.)

“And they aren’t any different?” Soojung coolly raises a brow.

Seungwan stares at her, opening , and closing it. She does not have a response.

            Because how can she tell her that she knows that Joohyun is in love with Seulgi without revealing her secret? She knows the other would find it absurd, and would probably think it an accusation to the two of her friends.

            Soojung once told her that Joohyun and Seulgi were practically attached to the hip when they were younger. She couldn’t see one without finding the other somewhere nearby, usually a few meters away. It changed however, when middle school and high school came and no amount of love or friendship could change the fact that Joohyun was older and a year ahead of Seulgi.

(“It was kind of strange. Like seeing a kitten without its mother. Except that Seulgi’s a bear.”)

            “I-no, I just don’t understand. I didn’t see it coming.” Seungwan finally stammers out a response as they enter their classroom. She takes a seat, and Soojung sits in front of her, draping an arm over the back of her chair.

            “And who did?” Soojung asks, rhetorically, eyes forever piercing, whether she meant it to be or not.

            Who did?

            Park Bogum, for all his sternness and austerity was—is a big softy. She knows this when she talked to him once, about Joohyun, and he told her all. How he has pined after her all these years, how he thinks she is beautiful, and how, in his eyes, she is absolutely perfect. She thinks his admiration for her is adorable, that is, until he forgoes her warnings and went after her.

            And Joohyun.

            Joohyun isn’t in love with him. She is sure. More than certain. This thing, relationship or not, it can’t possibly end well. Pain awaits at the end. And hurt.

            Who did?

            Who saw it coming?

            The teacher enters, and their conversation is halted. Their lesson in English begins, and Seungwan allows her mind to wander. Eyes skimming through familiar words and phrases. She worries for both of them, though she knows she shouldn’t. Their affairs are as far from her as the Earth is to the moon.

            Except that she learns from Science class once, that the moon is bound to the Earth for its gravity.

            A secret sitting in her shelves—gathering dust for over a year— binds Seungwan to them.

Joohyun’s journal.

            If pain awaits them at the end, she wonders how they’ll hold up. Especially Bogum. He loves her, for crying out loud! And despite her appearance, she knows Joohyun wouldn’t hesitate to end it. Her heart clenches at the thought.

            And who did?

            Soojung’s question echoes in her idle mind. Seungwan stares at the back of her friend, wondering if she is as bored as she is.

            Who saw it coming?

            A thought crosses her mind, and Seungwan clenches her fist in frustration. It is too sad, and she blames her luck for being caught in the middle of high school drama. It frustrates her that she can’t do anything about it.

            She is certain Bogum will only get hurt in the end.

            But who was she to pity him when she thinks of the endless years of pining, and secrecy, that Joohyun has gone through?

            Skinship.

            Seungwan should have seen it coming, because if she were Joohyun, she’d try to get over her feelings too. She doesn’t take Joohyun to be a masochist, and one can only take so much to realize that it is a lost cause, that they were going in circles.

            She is so stupid. And she’ll tell Soojung so.

 

--

 

Seulgi corners her one bright, spring afternoon. It is Friday, and Seungwan is wiping her hands on her kerchief, having gone to the bathroom.

            “Wan-ah! Seungwan!” Someone calls her with familiarity, using the nickname Soojung gave her. She stops and barely has to turn when the person who gave Krystal her infamous “Junggie” catches up to her.

            Seungwan smiles at Seulgi, and they make small talk. She eyes the outfit of the other: loose pants, and a sleeveless shirt. A towel is draped around her neck, and sweat glistens on her arms. Seulgi tells her that they’re practicing a new dance routine.

            Soojung envies the dance club for their bodies. The girl claims that everyone in it is practically blessed by Adonis himself, and though Seungwan knows that it is a vast exaggeration, she can’t help but grudgingly agree and wonder how everyone is so fit. She watches Seulgi bounce on the balls of her feet, and Seungwan thinks it is a trait common to them, the restless energy. They have to be on their toes, constantly moving.

            “So what do you say?” Seulgi eagerly asks, and they near the Student Council room. The younger had just invited her to weekend karaoke, and though Seungwan sorely missed singing to her heart’s content, she is not sure if she could make it. Seulgi must have seen her hesitation, because then she starts whining, and acting cute.

            They reach the door and Seungwan tries to tell her side to a pouting girl. “I’m really not sure if I can go—“

            The door opens, the creak and the laughter and sound that emits from within breaking the two’s conversation. Someone, no, a couple comes out.

            It is Joohyun and Bogum.

            The girl laughs at something he must have said, and the remnants of conversation between Seungwan and Seulgi dissipate. Seungwan realizes with a jolt, how perfect they look together. Probably the reason why Soojung was so bewildered with Seungwan’s being against them.

            “Hey, it’s true!” Bogum chuckles, and Joohyun slaps him lightly on the arm. He notices them first, and he halts in his steps. “Seungwan, Seulgi-ssi.”

            “Sunbaenim, Joohyun-unnie.” Seulgi greets them as she puts on a bright smile.

            “Seulgi,” Joohyun’s eyes flicker to Seungwan uneasily, and she takes a step closer. “What are you doing here?”

            “Yah, I can’t even pass by your room in peace now?” Seulgi jests, snickering softly. “I was talking to Seungwan about something.” She doesn’t elaborate, and even Seungwan can tell that Joohyun is waiting for her to do so, a light frown gracing her face when Seulgi doesn’t. What were you talking about? is what Joohyun is probably wanting to say.

            Bogum pipes up, saying they ran out of wrapping paper for the teachers' Valentine’s gifts and that they were just going to go out for a bit to buy some in a nearby store. He tells Seungwan not to worry as he already wrote down the amount of money he took on the treasurer’s log.

            Seungwan nods.

            The conversation dies down, and Bogum starts to say, “We’ll be off now, see you—“ when Seulgi claps her hands. His last word left to rest in his throat.

            “Ah! Yeah! I totally forgot,” Seulgi slaps her forehead, startling Jooohyun, and even Seungwan. She turns to Joohyun and she relays what she told Seungwan just a while ago, about going to karaoke on the weekend, though, Seungwan notes, that she doesn’t put on much aegyo.

            Perhaps it has to do with Park Bogum’s presence? Before she has time to ponder upon the business-like behavior, she snaps out of her reverie when Joohyun nods her head.

            “So, can you come?” Seulgi asks, hands reaching up to subconsciously grip the ends of her towel. Seungwan watches Joohyun’s eyes follow the movement, before snapping back to Seulgi’s face.

            “Sure. Text me where it will be. I’m not doing anything tomorrow.”

            “Ah,” Seulgi says. “It’s on Sunday, actually,” she corrects.

            Bogum starts, as if jolted by livewire, and Seungwan catches his gaze going to Joohyun, a hint of panic within his eyes. A pregnant pause ensues, and Joohyun swallows, staring at Seulgi and her smile.

            “Oh, Sunday?” Seulgi nods her head enthusiastically, overlooking the nervous tremor in the question. “It’s uh,” Joohyun turns her head and meets Bogum’s eyes, a silent conversation briefly ensuing. “It’s the fourteenth. Valentine’s Day.”

            And then it sinks into Seungwan’s head. Oh. Oh. OH.

             If the situation can possibly get more awkward, Joohyun barrels on, while twiddling her fingers nervously. “Bogum and I—we, we made plans to go out.” Seulgi’s smile falters, and for a moment, or a trick of the light, Seungwan swears it momentarily disappears.

            Bogum then blusters in, saying it was his idea, and all, and Seungwan just wants to tell him to shut up because she feels the tension thickening and clouding the air. She knows the boy is nothing but full of good intentions, but dear Lord, is he dense. He stops when Seulgi shakes her head, and waves his apologies off. She laughs.

            “No, no. It’s okay!” She tells him. “I completely forgot Joohyun-unnie is dating now. She can be such a grandma sometimes, so.” Joohyun glares at the teasing, and Seulgi laughs even harder.

            A bang resounds in the Council room and they all jump. Bogum hollers something to the people inside, and he turns to Seungwan, telling her to head in and make sure the others are doing their job while they are out. She nods. Seulgi bids them farewell, and turns to jog back to wherever she came from, and Bogum and Joohyun turn to the opposite direction.

            “Yah! Seulgi!” Joohyun shouts, one of the rare times she raises her voice. “We’re going home together, right?” Bogum touches her shoulder, but she resists and turns to see the retreating back of the girl.

            Seungwan can see Seulgi shake her head. She does not look back.

            “Don’t wait for me, unnie! I’ll probably won’t be there by then.”

            And then they’re gone.

 

--

 

Before they leave, Joohyun asks Yongsun, who made the rounds around campus this time, if there was anyone left.

            “Oh, the dance club is still here, but you already know that don’t you? Anyways, they said they were finishing up when I passed by their room, but from the looks of it they’re not ending anytime soon.  But it’s okay, because Taeyong says they’ve obtained permission from the principal for extra practice hours. He even showed me a letter, with a signature and all.”

            Yongsun rambles on, and when Seungwan turns to look at them, she catches Joohyun’s eye.

            Seungwan gives her a weak smile, but Joohyun doesn’t return it.

             

--

 

Soojung arrives in the café and Seungwan blinks in surprise.

            The lack of shopping bags, and the punctuality is uncharacteristic for the girl. Seungwan assumes that Soojung told her to meet her at the mall because she needed help carrying her bags (It wouldn’t be the first time she’d call for help; another example of what Seungwan would like to call: first world problems.)

            “Come on.” Soojung checks her watch. “We have just enough time to buy it.” And with that she drags Seungwan out, before the girl could let out her You just got here! argument and ask her What the hell are you talking about questions—and finish her coffee, to top it off. Her confusion rises when they get on the escalator, and Soojung starts telling her of gift ideas she had seen somewhere in the internet.

            They march off into the department store, and Seungwan tails the girl, asking questions and getting no answers (much to her chagrin). It isn’t until her tenth “What are we looking for?” when Soojung turns to her, annoyance rising behind her unusually cool orbs, removing her attention off the clothes she has been inspecting.

            “You’re so stupid.” She snaps. Seungwan blinks in surprise.

            “What?” She manages to get out.

            “We’re buying something for Seulgi, duh. Isn’t that why we’re here?” She pushes past her friend, and goes through racks of brightly colored tank tops, lips pursed. Seungwan follows her, confusion still clouding her brain. The place where Seulgi told them to be is a few blocks from here, and she wonders why Soojung is buying a gift for her. Judging from the glint in her eyes, it would be a rather pricey one at that.

Is it customary in Korea to give gifts to your hosts?

            “Egh. I don’t like any of these.” Soojung finally states, and she moves on. Seungwan hurries to her side.

            “How about those?” She points to a section in the store, with racks full of art supplies. Stationary items are also stacked within the aisle, and Seungwan remembers that aside from being talented at a lot of things, Seulgi is a great artist too. Soojung follows her gaze, and she scrunches up her nose.

            “Art supplies? Please. Joohyun-unnie always gets those for Seulgi every year, I’d hate to compete.”

            And then she dashes off upon finding a cute pair of sandals on display, muttering something about annoying birthdays and presents, and leaving Seungwan feeling absolutely dumbfounded.

 

--

 

“Say, where’s Joohyun-unnie?” Soojung asks looking around, after she hands Seulgi her gift. Seungwan leans forward to engulf Seulgi in a hug, and whisper to her that she’ll give her gift real soon despite her protests.

            Seulgi smiles. “Oh. She couldn’t make it.” She whispers her thanks, and tucks the bag under her arm. Her smile widens as if to reassure, with Soojung’s tentative stare. “It’s okay. It’s not like she’s missing anything, after all, my birthday was a few days ago. This is sort of like a late after-party.”

            She hears that her birthday was on the tenth, and Seungwan does the Math. Wednesday.

            They enter the karaoke room, and a wave of noise and excitement hits them. Seungwan catches Jongin in the midst (Seulgi really is too kind for her own good, inviting everyone she could, including people who are willing to come in all her clubs), and she smirks as Soojung draws closer to her. She doesn’t get the chance to tease the girl however, because the they can barely hear each other, and somehow, Seungwan gets dragged (again, how many times has she been pushed around today?) to the front, and a microphone is plopped on her hand.

            Several songs, and a few drinks later, Soojung turns to Seungwan, who can barely shoot back a reply with her overused throat (it has been a while since she’s been to karaoke).

            “It feels weird.”

            And no words are needed to elaborate what she means, because for some peculiar reason, Seungwan understands. Seungwan just nods, and she reaches for a glass of water.

            The waves of change must be coming, and hitting hard, when even someone as cold and hard as a seawall, feels them. And even if she may not know the whole truth, or even something remotely close to it, Seungwan feels grateful, because at least, someone feels a fraction of what she is feeling.

            The waves ebb and flow.

            Life goes on.

            A pale, silver necklace adorns Joohyun’s neck come Monday morn, and all Seulgi gets, despite the material things, is a mild storm blowing behind her brows (thank you, alcohol), and the feeling of her heart sinking lower than she ever thought it could.

            It is the end of a pastel perfect beginning.

 

---

Author's note(8): Okay, sorry for the long delay! I sort of accidentally fell into the void that is called "Laziness ft. Various Crappy TV Shows That Run On Hype and The Attractiveness of the Cast Members". My apologies. Anywhoo, despite the lack of happiness in this chapter, it is vital to the storyline, so yeah. 

Last chapter was Wendy's POV in the past, and this chapter shows her POV in present time (hence the name, "A Brief Intermission of the Past", sort of like a flash back). I try to keep this story as a realistic as possible (though, I have no idea why. It's called Fanfiction for a reason, but that's the idea that I stuck with in this story) so I guess that's what I'd have to say for the slow pacing. I don't want any random bursts of  affection coming out from the characters all of a sudden because, well, if that'd happen in real life, that'd be super weird.  

sings* "Take it sloww, falling slowlyyy"

On a side note, if you're looking for a more fluffier piece, do check out my new Seulrene Seulgi-centric one-shot "The Five Reasons Why You Should Never Room with Kang Seulgi". :)  

To all those who took the time to read this story, thank you so much! Also do take the time to read my author's notes in the near future because I may be explaining some things in the story. Like what I did in paragraph 2 of Author's note(8)! But I'll try to keep it to a minimum.