Four.

Rose-Tinted Lenses

He thinks that they are sort of friends now.

          Because sometimes when he greets her, Joohyun would smile and greet back, and they would make small talk.

           He tries not to think that she does it to everyone in the room at Friday afternoons, and instead focuses on the warm and fuzzy feeling he gets from seeing and being near Joohyun.

          Seungwan catches on.

          “Do you like her?”

          He meets her accusatory glare and balks. Though he wonders how, for the longest time, anyone has not noticed his crush on her?

          (He thinks he is practically in love with her now.)

          And of all people, it has to Seungwan. His hoobae. The Council’s secretary.

          “I-what? What are you talking about?” He grins and laughs nervously. Seungwan rolls her eyes and he knows that he is caught.

          “You’re so obvious, Bogum-sunbae.”

          He tries not to panic at the thought of Joohyun possibly hearing this conversation, and he gives Seungwan as hushing gesture. She smiles in triumph, and she leans in close.

          Joohyun sits a few chairs away, oblivious.

          “So, since when?” she flashes her Cheshire-cat grin, so unlike her angelic demeanor that Bogum hesitates.

          “Since I met her.” Which is when he started high school and he is surprised to hear himself admit that. He sees that Seungwan is surprised too, and she mutters a near-silent wow.

          He finds himself talking about his feelings, their work long forgotten. He chooses to use her instead of Joohyun, though his heart palpitates whenever he hears someone pass by them.

          Seungwan nods intently.

          They talk and talk. Then they jump when Seungwan’s timer rings.

          Joohyun is first one out as always. Everyone else follows, but Bogum is still there with Seungwan.

          “Well,” he stands and keeps the stuff away. “We should go.” He readies his bag and takes out the keys, and she reluctantly (hesitantly) follows.

          She is still beside him when he locks the room.

          “Are you in love with her?”

          Bogum looks at Seungwan and thinks of Joohyun. He thinks of all the things he likes about her. He thinks of her words. He thinks of Joohyun as Joohyun.

          He nods.

          “Yes.”

          He is not sure what to expect. A supportive grin. A Good luck. A hug.

          Instead, he gets a sad smile, and he sees Seungwan looking at him in an unreadable expression. A knowing glint is in her eyes, and he wonders what she will tell him.

          But she shakes her head, and pats his shoulder.

          “Be careful.”

          She walks away and Bogum wonders why she looked at him like he was something to be pitied upon.

 

--

Author's note (1): Any thoughts on the story? 

With all the one-sided love woes crap that I hear in my classroom everyday, well, you can probably guess where this is inspired from. Okay, woah, if that sounded mean, you should know that the most experience I had in relationships is writing and reading about fake-nonexistent ones (hehe). 

Anyway, I'll try to update when I can, and not hurt people too much in this story.

<3