Nine.

Rose-Tinted Lenses

Winter break is cause for celebration.

          Park Bogum thinks this, as he watches the snow swirl around outside. He watches people shiver and pull their jackets tighter, watches couples huddle closer to one another.

          His hands curl around his coffee.

          Something bothers him, he knows.

          A multitude of things actually.

          It starts with the simple stuff. Graduation. What he will do once he graduates from high school, the college he’ll go to, the upcoming aptitude tests.

          It’s a minor itch at the back of his mind, because he has it all planned out.

          And then there is Seungwan.

          He doesn’t have anything against her, no he doesn’t.

          They go back to being on friendly civil terms, and he even remembers telling her to have a good winter break on the last day of school. She does the same.

          They don’t talk about it.

          He senses, no knows, that there is something more than what Seungwan lets on. Seungwan’s actions puzzle him, and it irks him to no end. Her secretive gestures and vague answers constantly knock at the back of his mind. He jumps to various conclusions.

          Is Seungwan in love with him?

          Does Joohyun have a hidden persona?

          Is Seungwan in love with Joohyun?

          They get even more ridiculous, and frankly, give him a headache. He can’t ask Seungwan about it, because obviously, she won’t tell him what it is.

          If the air of finality she gave off the last time they spoke about her was enough, that is.

          “Bogum!”

          Someone calls up to him, snapping him off his train of thought, and when he looks to the café’s entrance, he sees a few of his classmates. Seokjin repeats his name, waving his hand excitedly.

          They approach his table, and a few of the servers join a couple of empty tables with his. It’s become tradition now, for the class to have an annual “getaway” every end of the year, at least, for those who were willing to partake in the fun of the Christmas spirit.

          Most were willing.

          Joohyun was one of the few who wasn’t.

          “I ordered for myself, since you all took so long.” Bogum sips his coffee smugly as some of them began to complain. He takes in their pink cheeks and he knows that they have just arrived.

          As expected.

          “It isn’t our fault that you’re so damn early.”

          A round of snickers rises as someone else comments, “As expected from the class president.”

          He flushes as they all light-heartedly . Seohyun even goes as far as to ruffle his hair. Something she probably wouldn’t have done, had it not been for the spirit of joy and comfort seeping in the air.

          “Is everyone here?”

          “Yongsun said she’ll be coming over.” Minhyuk voices out loud, reading a message from his phone.

          “So that’s why it’s so quiet.”

          The laugh again at this, and even Minhyuk has to smirk as he types a reply back. The air is filled with chatter and warmth, with classmates eager to catch up with one another in the short time they were away from each other’s presence.

          Bogum smiles.

          He’ll miss them.

          He’ll miss their loudness, their obnoxiousness. The hard times they were able to pull through, the times they were all in trouble, everything.

          Laughter quickly dies down into murmurs of surprise when they hear the next words being said.

          “Yongsun said she’s with Joohyun!”

 

--

 

          It was strange.

          Something feels different when he sees Yongsun with Joohyun. There is a slight, but obscure change in the air. It is subtle.

          It feels like a transition, akin to autumn being winter. Or similar to spring turning to summer. The atmosphere sends a tingle to his skin, and underneath where his nerves are.

          It surprises him how no one has felt it.

          Joohyun doesn’t shy away, and she is all smiles and laughter. Bogum even thinks that it is the most he has seen her talk. He observes her, and notes the way her eyes crinkle when she grins, and better when she laughs. She seems to fit in well with the rest, though no one seems to be bothered by it.

          He isn’t though. It is just unfamiliar to see her like this.

          Bogum tries not to overthink it. Perhaps Joohyun decides that it is time for change, to come to their last gathering as a class, after all these years.

          They soon troop over to the movie theatres (after grabbing a bite), the one with the arcade and the food court beside it, and choose a film to watch. Unanimously, they all decide to watch a horror flick as opposed to the happy, feel-good Christmas movies that are typically shown during this time.

          Ah, teenagers.

          Always going against the current.

          They go inside, making more noise than they are supposed to, and possibly (scratch that, generally) irritating other moviegoers with their harsh whispers and giggles. Several of them get up a couple of times to go to the bathroom, or to either buy snacks.

          The movie begins.

          A few minutes into the movie, Joohyun gets up.  She moves to go outside, and Bogum catches a whiff of her hair as she goes past him. She smells like a combination of flowers and vanilla.

          He blushes.

          He gets jarred out of his thoughts of pale skin and midnight hair when a collective scream from the audience erupts, and Bogum is faced with the horrible scene of gore on the big screen.

          He promptly forgets.

 

--

 

          Bogum sighs as he washes his hands.

          He stares at his reflection at the mirror for a bit, whilst drying his palms. Once finished, he heads out of the bathroom with the intent to go back inside the cinema.

          He doesn’t plan on catching Joohyun by the arcade.

          The bright lights and loud noise is a contrast to the gloomy, velvet carpeting that makes up the movie theatre’s entrance beside it. The lights reflect on the linoleum floor, making everything brighter than it already is.

          Bogum vaguely remembers Joohyun leaving in the middle of the movie and not coming back.

          So that’s where she has been.

          He veers off his designated path and approaches the girl from behind.

          She is playing one of those claw games, a stack of coins and her purse is nestled at the side console, where the controls are.

          He watches her fail to pick a stuffed animal, before she places another coin in the slot, ready to start over patiently.

          Bogum wonders how long she has been at it.

          “Joohyun-ssi?”

          The claw abruptly stops, its droning mechanical noise coming to a halt. Joohyun jumps and quickly turns around.

          “Ah! Bogum,” she places a hand on her chest, “you scared me.”

          Bogum smiles apologetically then, hesitantly, goes to stand beside her. He feels shyer this time. Joohyun is acting more different than he is accustomed to.

          She gives him a polite smile, his heart thuds harder, and turns back to the game.

          “You’ve been here the whole time?”

          Joohyun nods. “Horror and violence isn’t my cup of tea.”

          Bogum realizes that Joohyun must not have spoken up when they chose the movie.

          He decides not to ask how she has been so occupied with that activity when he notices her attempts, and her hisses of irritation each time she fails.

          She is really adorable.

          “How long have you been at it?”

          Joohyun grunts (even they were cute). “For a while now.”

          Bogum smiles gently. By a surge of courage, he makes himself place a firm hand on Joohyun’s arm. She looks up at him.

          “Let me?” He gestures to the console and Joohyun steps back.

          By all means.

          He tests the claw for a while, allowing himself to get accustomed to its movements. He turns to Joohyun.

          “Which one do you want?” referring to the stuffed animals within the glass container.

          “Oh, um” Joohyun stutters out, “I-I don’t really know. I mean-“ she prods the glass surface “-if I can’t get the bear, I’d try to get the bunny, Then if that fails, I’d try to get turtle. You get the idea.”

          Bogum laughs.

          “Joohyun-ssi, you have to choose one, otherwise, you wouldn’t know what to get.”

          “Oh.”

          Worried that he may have discouraged her, Bogum turns to the girl, about to give an apology, when he sees her face nearly pressed up to the container.

          Her hand drifts to the glass, and the tip of her finger rests lightly on it. His breath catches in his throat, when he sees the look of innocent concentration gracing her features.

          Beauty.

          “I really don’t know.”

          “Well, how about that bunny?” Bogum moves the claw to hover over it. It’s on top of the pile, and therefore one of the easiest to pick up.

          “Uh, hm.”

          Joohyun nods.

          “I suppose that will do.”

          He shifts the controls, and the claw machine makes a series of mechanical humming noises. Leaning forward, he squints his eyes, and when he is absolutely certain of his decision, of the position of the claw, he presses the button.

          It traps the bunny’s fluffy head, and Joohyun squeals.

          “Omo!”

          Bogum has to smile at that. The rabbit gets dislodged from the pile, and the claw picks it up, moving to hover over the metal chute.

          His eyes widen.

          “Its – its got something else attached to it!”

          The claw machine lets go, and Bogum bends down to retrieve the items. He gets it, and Joohyun approaches him.

          “Ah, today’s your lucky day Joohyun-ssi.” He smiles down at her, and he holds out the objects, one on each hand.

          “You got a bunny and a bear.”

          Mouth forms into an oh, Joohyun examines the stuffed animals, wide eyes turning to Bogum. He tries not to act too flustered under her scrutiny, and plays it cool.

          “I’m impressed.”

          “It’s nothing.” He holds his hands out to her, and when she doesn’t move, he gently places it into her palms.

          He marvels at her small and soft hands.

          Bogum has to chuckle at her childlike wonder, like he has done a magic trick. She surprises him though, when she firmly pushes it back into his hands, and shakes her head.

          “No, it isn’t right.” She gives him a soft smile.

          “You were the one who did all the work, it’s only right that you should get it.”

          “W-what?” Bogum gapes at her when he realizes what she is doing.

          “But you used your coins!”

          “Bogum-ssi, I insist.”

          “It was only luck, though.”

          He gulps inaudibly when Joohyun pierces him with a soft glare, and his mind races.

          “How about we get one each?” he finally suggests. “I insist you get first pick.” Bogum hopes Joohyun agrees on this compromise. He’d feel awkward carrying home a stuffed animal, much more two.

          He didn’t care much for it, if not for Joohyun’s interest in it.

          “Fine.” Joohyun nods.

          “But you have to pick first.”

          Bogum groans at that. This argument is going around in circles!

          However, his frustration ends when he sees the sparkle of amusement in Joohyun’s eyes, and her mischievous smile. A rare mood he rarely got to see her in.

          Bogum hesitates.

          And so he indulges in it.

          “This one then.” He holds up the bunny, the soft manufactured fur comforting and fuzzy against his palm. Bogum resigns to Joohyun’s request.

          She smiles triumphantly when he hands her the bear.

          Bogum doesn’t tell her how glad he is that she made him choose.

          Bae Joohyun reminds him of a bunny.

          He stares at the object on his palm.

          His bunny.

 

--

 

          He doesn’t go back in.

          He stays with Joohyun, with her pile of coins, and with her stuffed bear. All this time, Bogum never realizes how easy it is to talk with Joohyun, or to simply just hang out with her.

          He likes it very much.

          Do you know why I chose the bunny?

          Her wide dark eyes, her innocent expression, her being that emanates piece.

          Bogum turns to her when he gets a frighteningly high score of some sharp shooting game. He tells her he is having fun.

          She nods and tells him that she is too.

          Joohyun then flashes him a heart-stopping smile.

          “Would you mind hanging out again sometime?”

          He holds his breath. Time is ticking, and he hopes he has not just made a big (and hopefully not embarrassing) mistake.

          The courage that surges through him gradually fades away, trepidation replacing it when Joohyun just stares at him.

          He finds it hard to concentrate on her face when he sees a hint of hesitation and doubt on it. Somehow, he braces himself for the upcoming wave of rejection and humiliation.

          Bogum concentrates on her hands.

          “I – no – if you want to, of course—“ he rambles on as he watches her hands subconsciously the stuffed bear nestled in her arms. He is ready to back out of this hole he dug for himself.

          He has to fight to stop himself from rubbing his palm on his face from embarrassment.

          Joohyun laughs.

          “No, let’s! That, that would be great!”

          His heart nearly stops.

          He feels like he has taken in flight. Both mind and body.

          He praises all the spirits above.

          Bogum pauses.

          Then he laughs along too.

          Bae Joohyun-ssi, do you know why I chose the bunny?

 

--

          “It reminded me of you.”

          He tells her one time, when he is sure that Joohyun is certain of his feelings for her, and when he doesn’t feel awkward about it.

          Of course, he tells her he likes her. Not something more intense, and raw.

          Oddly, after getting over her initial surprise, she acts cool with it.

          Although he may have downplayed his feelings for her.

          You’re an awesome person and I like hanging out with you. What do you say for more dates? Something along those lines.

          He’ll leave the rest for later, when he is more prepared, and when he is more assured.

(Joohyun just smiles back.)

          Bogum doesn’t know if she likes him too, but just being with her is enough.

          For now.

          He nudges her shoulder when he doesn’t get a response.

          “Hey, what about you?”

          Joohyun grins up at him in response, and links his arm with hers. It may not be the answer he is looking for but he isn’t complaining.

          “What about me?”

          The days grow colder, but Joohyun looks perfect in this setting, like some sort of ethereal winter deity. A snowflake lands on her nose.

          Bogum brushes it off, and she scrunches up her nose.

          “Yah, you –“ he blushes at the words he was about to say.

          “What?” Joohyun gives him a quizzical gaze. All these little meetups, Bogum likes to think of them as dates (and they probably are), and there is still much to know about the other.

          Joohyun waits for him to explain further, to elaborate.

          Bogum gives a sigh of resignation.

          “The bear,” he starts off hesitantly. “Is it still with you?”

          Joohyun nods, remembering the stuffed animal.

          “Do you still look at it from time to time?”

          “Bogum-ah,” Joohyun laughs, “I got it a few weeks, not years ago. Of course I still see it in my room.”

          Bogum blushes.

          He ducks his head down to whisper to her ear.

          “Do you think of me when you see it?”

         

--

         

          His voice is so full of hope and naivety that Joohyun is tempted to lie.

          But he has been treating her so well, and so kindly, that she for once, indulges in the blatant truth.

          “Not really.”

          His eyes dim.

          She has been lying too much recently. Her smiles feel heavy and insincere, and she feels like she is lying when she says to other people, and when she tries to tell herself, that she is okay. That she feels just fine.

          Joohyun smiles kindly and says, instead, “Why don’t we find somewhere to eat at?”

          She hopes that it makes Bogum feel, at least, a fraction better.

          It does.

 

---

Author's note(5): Ah, angst. I wrote part of this on the same day I watched Grave of the Fireflies, and damn. By the way, I don't think I'm cut out for writing stuff like this. Like, my heart hurt writing these scenes TT. Anyways, HOMYGHOD Seulrene on KCON! THIS IS Y I LUV THEM! 

Do stay tuned for the upcoming chapters, *winks*, as they say: "No pain no gain." (I don't think I'm using this phrase right, but oh well).