Two.

Rose-Tinted Lenses

Every Friday, Joohyun would rush off, leaving him to scour the school for signs of her.

          Of course, he does it after he locks the room, and by that time, no one is left at school. Not a single trace of her.

           6:15.

          Bogum is surprised when he walks past one of the halls leading to the gym. The keys jangle in his hand as his wide eyes take in the still-on fluorescent lamps and bulbs. His eyes rest on a figure sitting on the floor, and he nearly has a coronary when he sees who it is.

          Bae Joohyun.

          He walks closer and sees that her eyes are closed. She is leaning against the wall, right outside Park-sunsaengnim’s classroom. Joohyun is wearing earphones, hands tapping slightly against her thigh to the beat only she can hear.

          His body realizes it before he does. Palms sweating and heart racing, that he is standing in front of her. He looks up to the windows that border the classroom, and it doesn’t even occur to him why study hall is still going on even past the 6 o’ clock curfew.

          “Joohyun-ssi?”

          His voice cracks and he shakes his head slightly. She still does not see him and continues to be in her own world.

          He repeats his question, and taps his foot. Joohyun notices him this time.

          She opens her eyes and looks up in surprise. Bogum hopes his smile doesn’t look too forced, or bright. He steps back a bit to let Joohyun stand, and he can’t help but notice how cute she looks when flustered.

          “Bogum-ssi!” Joohyun hurriedly removes her earphones from her ear and drapes it off on her shoulder.

          It strikes him that he does not know what to say (he never really talked to her before, aside from the customary hellos and how do you dos) and he panics a bit, seeing the expectant look she gives him.

          “What are you doing here?”

          Finally. He nods to her, more than relieved that he somehow managed to not make a fool of himself.

          Joohyun gives him a confused look, before looking around.

          “Oh,” she pauses, “I’m waiting for study hall to end.” He sees her bag against the wall behind her, and he wonders how the words Joohyun and study hall could mix.

          He remembers the A she snagged in the Biology test today, and he grins at the memory.

          “You have business with Park-sunsaengnim?” he asks, because why else would Joohyun be here? His gaze drifts to the windows and he sees a few students, bent over some books and worksheets.

          “Um.” She hesitates, and stares blankly at his shirt collar. He tries hard not to blush as he gets a close-up view of her wide dark eyes and-

          The door opens and students stream out.

           Noise fills the hall and he could make out the voice of the surly teacher scolding a few of the students, goofing and hollering about. “Jackson! You better have finished the worksheets by Monday!”

          A burly student looks back and grins, all while putting an arm around another guy, Mark. Bogum remembers him vaguely from the times he had to supervise detention hall.

          “Alright, sunsaeng!” They laugh and walk off goofily, probably eager to go to God-knows-where. Bogum frowns lightly and is tempted to shout and give them a good scolding about respecting the faculty and staff. But then he checks the time and remembers that it is Friday night. Everyone just wants to rest.

          He turns his attention back to the girl in front of him, expecting to see the tired, watered-down Biology-ace vice-president extraordinaire Bae Joohyun.

          Instead he sees someone else.

          The change in her demeanor is palpable. Her eyes light up, and a smile graces her lips. She mutters a hurried “excuse me,” grabs her bag, and bounds up to the open classroom door where another girl stands.

          She must be part of study hall too.

          “Seulgi!”

          The girl turns, eyes widening. A grin breaks out on her face as Joohyun approaches her. He watches their exchange curiously (too far to be heard), having a half a mind to eavesdrop and know.

          He takes half a step forward.

          “Ah! Bogum, there you are!”

          Park-sunsaengnim appears in front of him and he has to divert his attention to the teacher who begins talking and babbling, telling him that they had to catch up as old friends do. How he remembers how easier the days were when the Council members sent reps for supervising study hall.

          (Bogum smiles weakly at that, promising himself that he would never tell him that he was the one who put a stop to that irksome task.)

          He turns and sees that Joohyun is gone.

          However, the image of her smile and warm tone burns in his mind.

 

---