Chapter 7

The Promised Bridge

As soon as I got back everyone, and I mean everyone started calling me Kid.

“Hey Kid! How’s it hanging Kid! S’up Kid! Yo Kid! Come here Kid!”.

Even my employees started to call me Kid instead of boss. I never should have brought Lee with me.

Well four months have passed and I’ve gotten use to them calling me ‘Kid’.

Business became even busier. Both here and in Australia, I had to interview six new employees who were war vets. They were good at what they did, which was break stuff, fix stuff, entertain people, and scare people off. You can say it was a balance thing they had.

After a month since they were hired, my shop in Australia was stable. So it was good that my instinct told me to hire them. They even brought in ideas of their own, which earned us even more money.

After another two months Ruki and Raki, were able to stand and walk slowly. Lee and I would get them to practice everyday. Soon they were able to say their first word, ‘Kid’. As much as I loved that they could start speaking. Lee and the others died of laughter when they heard my own kids call me ‘Kid’ themselves. Hilarious, I know.

They both soon they were able to pack away their own toys and put it away neatly. Sigh.... I’m so proud of my babies! (Wipes an invisible tear.)

Juin came less often now, cause of her family disliking the fact that Steph gave birth to Ruki and Raki, or even that it was me of all people she asked to raised her babies. But Juin never fail to call or text me on how they were. She is such a great aunty.

Soon the time came for me to head back to Korea, but this time I called police and taxi oppa telling them that I was coming back with Lee, Ruki and Raki. They both laughed and told me that I was to come here during this time every year. I couldn’t help but smile.

As we were packing our clothes and stuff for the trip, my phone suddenly rang. I was shocked to see who it was.

Steph, it said on the caller ID. Lee saw that I was in a shocked state and took the phone from me and answered.

“Hello?” she asked,

“Hello? This is Shawn. I’m sorry but I need to speak to.....”, before he could finish that sentence, I took the phone away from Lee, and told her to leave the room and stay with the babies.

“Shawn.” I said, with a bit of hostility. I wasn’t happy that he called, much less that he used Steph number to call me.

“..... hey....” he said weakly,

“What do you want?” I demanded,

“Look, I know you hate me. And you have every right to. After what I did to help John ruin your friendship with Steph, and leaving Steph when she needed someone the most.”,

“Good. So goodbye.” I said, as I was about to hang up.

“WAIT! Please! Just hear me out!”,

I stayed silent for a bit then said, “What?”,

“I made a mistake. I never should have done that to Steph. I wasn’t ready for something this big. Then when I heard that she died after she gave birth, I couldn’t bring myself to man up. After I learn that you were the one that she asked to raise our babies, I daren’t to face you. So now I’m asking, NO! Begging you! Please! Give me a chance to be a father to them.”.

It took me a long while to think clearly. As I was thinking, I turned towards the door, and saw Lee standing there. I urged her with my eyes to tell me what I should do. She shook her head and I knew that she wanted me to decide for myself.

I took in a long breathe, then said, “No.”,

“But!” Shawn was about to protest, but I cut him off,

“It’s true, that you should have NEVER done that to Steph. And even though you weren’t ready neither was I, but I still took them and I don’t regret it. And it is a good thing that aren’t here to face me, cause then I might end up in jail for killing you. So the answer from me is ‘NO’. However, when they are older, and if they wish to meet you, I will not refuse them that request. But if you in anyway show no signs, other than the lowest human being that you are right now. I will not allow them to meet you. Bye Shawn. Don’t ever call me again.”.

After saying all of that, I immediately hanged up, and sighed. Lee came and took the phone out of my hands and hugged me. As I hugged her back, she whispered to me, “I know you did the right thing.”.

Lee always knew what to say to me to make me feel better.