Chapter 11

The Promised Bridge

After our trip from Korea, I only had one thing on my mind, and that how happy I am that my kids liked and accepted Jessica.

Cause after kind of, sort of meeting her on the bridge with the rest of her group, my kids asked whether she was the angel I spoke of. And I answered ‘Yes, she is.’. They both smiled at me and jumped to hug me.

EEKK!!! I SO HAPPY!!

While everything was back to normal, the kids were at school, my work was going smoothly and life couldn’t be happier than this.

Waking up in the morning, I thought today was going to be just like another day. My kids were sleeping on my bed on each side of me. I jumped off to gaze at them, they look so beautiful and peaceful when they are sleeping soundly.

Suddenly my phone rang. I answered it, “Hello?”,

“Good morning. I apologize to interrupt your morning but I’m calling on behalf of the ChildWare Centre. This call is regarding your foster children, Ruki and Raki.”,

That pissed me off big time. So I ended up saying, “Ruki and Raki ARE my children.”,

“I understand but please bear in mind that this call is to regard whether or not they should remain in your care.”,

After hearing that, I left the room and headed to the living room. Lee was in the kitchen getting breakfast ready but stopped when she saw me rushed into the living room.

“What’s this about?! I have signed the documents and had the judge approved the adoption!” I growled at the caller.

He seemed to have been frightened by my sudden hostility and was struggling to say, “Yes. We know. But we have been inform that the next of blood related kin wishes to have the children back.”.

After thinking awhile, I knew who this ‘next of kin’ was. Shawn.

“This next of kin abandon their mother before they were even born! You be serious about thinking of letting him have them!” I yelled,

“Y y yes... we are. He has a very good and stable job, a house of his own, and a very healthy financial stash incase of anything. His family have already agreed and sign a document of raising the children incase of the worse. While you don’t have a family or a place of your own.”,

“That doesn’t matter!! What matters is that he left them! Do you think he won’t leave them again?!”,

“I’m sorry but this what we have to do. The court will decide on who will get to have the children. I am so sorry and thank you for your time.”.

When the caller hanged up, I threw my phone across the room and punched the wall that I was standing next to.

Lee was standing at the door the whole time, she heard every single word.

Walking over to me, she hugged me, and I just broke down on her.

When the kids woke up, I could see that they could tell something happen. But before they ask me what it was, I just said, “After school I will explain everything.”.

For the rest of the day, I stayed at home thinking of how I should explain to them what was happening. My friends and staff refused to let me work. And Lee kept me inside the house.

Some of my friends and staff drove by my kids school to keep an eye on them just incase Shawn decided to show himself to them.

When they got home, they ran straight to me and hugged me. I smiled at them weakly.

After dinner we and the whole gang were in the living room. The others came to support me and help me explain to them what was going on.

Ruki and Raki stared at me. They knew that this wasn’t good news.

Sighing, I finally mustered my strength to say, “Ruki, Raki. There is something you both should know.”.

They both just nod their heads in response and I continued, “It’s about your father.”.

After saying the word ‘father’. both of them were shocked.

“Father?” asked Raki, while Ruki for the first time kept quiet.

“Yes.” I answered while nodding.

“Why are you only telling us now?”,

I was afraid of this question. But I knew it was going to happen.

Letting out another sigh and answered, “Cause I was afraid that if I told you about him, you both would leave me.”.

They looked at me, and understood my reason.

“So what is it about our father that you wish to tell us about?” asked Raki, while he held tight to Ruki’s hand.

“He wants you both.” Was all I said. I didn’t say the word ‘back’ cause he never wanted them in the first place.

“Why only us? Why not with you as well?”.

This was another question I wished against. Soon I told them what happened. About their birth mother Steph, about what she told me at the hospital. And also about how Shawn their father not wanting them, then now wanting them. And also that there was going a court fight on who gets the kids.

Both of them started to tear, and soon they were crying. Ruki was crying harder than Raki. She was already in his arms when I told them that I wasn’t their real parent.

I hung my head low, and started to cry. Lee who was sitting beside me the whole time, put her arms around me and comfort me, while the others were trying to calm both Ruki and Raki down.

“I’m so sorry. I wished I told you both sooner, but.....” I couldn’t finish my sentence.

Raki then looked at me, and after awhile he asked, “Did you only want us cause of what our mother asked you? Or cause you actually loved us?”,

“At first it was cause of your mother, but after seeing you both there smiling at me. I knew that I needed you both in my life.” I sobbed to them,

Ruki finally looking up and at me then asked, “Then you won’t give us away?”,

“NEVER!” I answered, as I hugged them both tight.

After that night, we began collecting evidence of what I did and have done for my kids. And also a statement from Lee claiming that it was she would wish I lived with her with the kids.

For a week we were in court, Shawn kept saying that he is the father and that they should be with him, but the judge after hearing what I said about Shawn telling Steph to abort them before their birth seemed to side with me.

I was winning the trail, and things were looking up. Until one day, while I was away on a business trip with a lady who wished to invest in my new project.

We were at one of the mountain top resorts. She said that she invested in the hotels there and was there to inspect on them. So I drove up there as she requested for our business meeting.

The meeting went fine, though I don’t know why, she mostly wanted to talk about my private life, dine in the most expensive restaurant (which by the way, the food is terrible compared to the food stalls on the street in K.L.).

She then asked me to accompany her to a dance (which I had to dance with her) and to the pub for drinks (but I didn’t drink).

The whole time she was flirty with me. While we were dining she would try to feed me, and while we were dancing she pulled my body closer to hers while sliding her hand lower on my body. I nearly puked.

And while we were drinking she kept caressing my face. And soon she was drunk. Really drunk. I saw that she was too drunk to even stand up straight, and she was about to doze off.

Sighing, I put her arm over my shoulder and help support her while taking her to her room in the hotel. When we reached her door, I asked her for the room key, but she couldn’t even answer me. Grabbing her purse, I searched for her key. Damn this woman has a lot of credit cards.

Finally I manage to find her key and opened the door. But just as I opened it, she kissed me.

Shocked of what was happening, I push her away and said, “What the heck do you think you’re doing!”.

She smiled at me and replied, “Oh don’t worry. I’m gentle.”, as she came closer.

Dodging her arms, I took a few more steps away from her and said, “If this is your way of trying to get in business with me, well sorry but it’s off. So goodnight and thanks for dinner.”.

After saying that I left, and I swear I saw her smirk, like she had already gotten what she wanted.

I left the hotel, and headed to the house that my friend owned. Thank god I asked her to let me stay here instead of in a hotel with THAT woman.

But I got back to KL, this was the last thing and the worst thing that happen.