White Lilies, The West Wing, and A Tarnished Reputation

Awkward (HIATUS - until Mountain Rose finishes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I don’t know what I was thinking.

This was never going to be easy from the start.

Give me the most disagreeable customer and I’ll be able to handle them.

Put me in a room of spiders and I’ll be as still as I can possibly be.

But put me in a competition with other girls who aren’t afraid to be vicious…count me out.

Because I won’t put myself through that again.

The Grand Lily Ballroom was filled with activity.

Though it was empty before, the tables were now almost filled up with reporters, cameramen running around after their assigned contestant, as well as the families of the contestants. Waiters skirted around tables, placing appetizers before guests, refilling their glasses, carefully attending to their needs, and generally remaining on standby in case they were needed.

The luncheon, apart from being a welcoming party, was alright. It was formal, very posh, very…emotionless. That was the first thing that had struck her when she had walked through those doors, seeing the ballroom in its opulent glory and wishing that there was something she could feel about it, apart from being slightly intimidated.

The lunch, however, was another thing altogether. That, she wasn’t afraid of; if there was something she was fearless to take by the horns, it was food. And true enough, there was more than enough to go around. They had mushroom soup as an appetizer, while CEO Park gave a welcome speech and the hosts clarified on the schedule for today, before they were finally able to feast.

There was every imaginable meat, from roasted duck, to steamed cod, to grilled steak and large red lobsters, which she – along with her new friends – managed to eat to their hearts content. There was fried rice, couscous, congee, polenta and noodles, along with vegetables Sun Young had never seen in her life.

Amber was right. Joining the competition for the food was a very valid reason.

After desserts, the contestants were asked to say their farewells to their parents who had arrived, since they were going to be at the hotel from now on.

She took out her phone, seeing a message from Sooyeon.

Will miss seeing your face, my little stargazer. All the best, and hope you make a lot of new friends there! Don’t worry about the flower shop, we’ll be alright, even though our little Sun won’t be around. But that’s alright, you’ll return, won’t you? :’)

She smiled.

Mrs Hwang also sends hers (and Zitao’s) regards.

So does Jongin.

And the convenience store ahjussi.

Oh, and the beancurd shop auntie too!

There was a list of emojis at the end of each line, from an elderly woman one, to a young boy one, and so on and so forth.

Sun Young chuckled.

Soojung says if anyone plays dirty, call her, and she’ll take care of it. I don’t know what she means by that, but I sorely hope it doesn’t mean what I think it does.

Anyway, that will be all from us. Stay happy and healthy, and don’t worry about the elimination rounds. Just remember to make friends and have a lot of fun! It’s your twenties after all!

With love, J.

Sun Young sighed, keeping her phone. She stayed in her chair, watching the other contestants at the other side of the ballroom with their families, a little smile on her face.

Her mother had arrived earlier, during her lunch break, promising to see her later tonight if possible. She had been introduced to her friends, and was more than pleased to meet them.

I guess the good thing that comes out of this is the fact that I can see Eomma every day, she thought, staring at the empty table while waiting for her friends to return from their second helping of chocolate eclairs, which she had respectfully declined.

It was only then that she noticed the floral centrepiece on the table.

She had been so preoccupied, listening to the welcome speech earlier, before being swept into conversation with her friends on how the hosts were cuter than Chanyeol, that she didn’t realize the flowers there.

As a flower enthusiast, it was a preposterous notion, but then again, she could hardly blame herself for being too busy.

Before her was an arrangement of stargazer lilies.

What in the world, she thought, leaning forward in her chair as she reached for the flowers, frowning as she looked at the intricately wound stems, the handiwork as familiar to her as the braids of her manager’s hair.

Why didn’t I see this before?

This is Sooyeon’s work. I’d know it anywhere.

And, true enough, there was a small tag attached to one of the lily stems.

Blossom and Bloom Flower Shop.

Sun Young looked up, peering at other tables, where similarly-arranged stargazers sat in the centre, like a forgotten decoration that everyone was oblivious to.

How did I not notice it this whole time, it was sitting right in front of me!

She instantly looked over at the VIP table, where Chanyeol had been sitting at. He was in deep conversation with his sister, shaking his head as she seemed to be urging him to do something.

Sun Young stared at him intently.

Is he the reason why all the stargazers were sold out?

But how, and why? He said to throw them away, the first time he saw them. And now look, he’s bought them all, and from my shop too.

This man is a living paradox. What does he want from me?

A voice startled her out of her thoughts. “Park Sun Young?”

She turned, glancing up at the goddess in white. It was Ju Hyun. “You remembered my name,” she murmured, making way for the latter to sit.

“Of course, I did, how can I forget-” Ju Hyun swept a hand in her general direction, “-this? You’re pretty easy to remember.”

I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean. “Thanks…I guess?”

Ju Hyun laughed, a soft exhale that seemed as dignified as the rest of her. “I meant it as a compliment. I’m really pleased to make your acquaintance.”

“I hardly think I’m worthy of your presence, Miss Seo.”

“Just call me Ju Hyun. All my friends do.”

Sun Young laughed to herself, shaking her head in amusement.

Ju Hyun’s eyebrows furrowed as she tilted her head in confusion. “What’s so funny?”

“You barely know me, though. What if you regret asking me to call you by name in the future?” She asked, “I hardly think this competition is all about rainbows and unicorns.”

Ju Hyun smiled, placing her hand delicately over as she did. “Oh, Sun Young, I find it difficult to think that you’d betray me as we delve into this competition,” she said, peering at her from long, innocent eyelashes, “Would you?”

Sun Young met her gaze, seeing the heiress’ wide eyes looking so naively into her own. She leaned forwards and patted Ju Hyun’s hand, feeling like she was compelled to answer.

“Of course not,” she heard herself say, and despite her sincerity, there was unease underneath her calm composure.

Ju Hyun looks like she won’t hurt a fly. Of course she wouldn’t turn into some bad and eliminate me. You’re being so negative, Sun Young.

“CEO Park seems to have a soft spot for you,” she continued.

Sun Young blinked. “Oh, not really. My mother’s a long-time staff here, she just knows me since I always drop by to wait for my mom to finish her shift.”

“Ah, I see,” the heiress hummed, “Which department is your mother at?”

“She’s head of concierge. Front of the house.”

“It must be wonderful to work at such a beautiful place, isn’t it?” she asked, and before Sun Young could answer, she spoke, “Does that mean you know Chanyeol personally as well?”

I feel like I’m being assessed.

Sun Young decided, that for the time being, she wouldn’t give everything away.

“Nope. We’ve never talked,” she lied, “In fact, I wasn’t even aware my mother signed me up for this competition until I got the acceptance letter, so I’m going into this blind.”

Ju Hyun’s eyes widened.

“I know, right. The things I do for my mom. She thought it would be a good experience for me to be around people my age and be more outgoing. I can care less about Mr. Park,” Sun Young said with a shake of her head, “But what about you?”

She looked slightly taken aback. “What about me?”

“No offence, but I’d have thought you’d have many guys falling for you. Why come here?”

Something akin to a smirk adorned Ju Hyun’s face. “I have a personal mission to make Chanyeol regret his rejection of me.”

Say what, now?

Sun Young’s eyebrows rose. She didn’t say a word.

Regret his rejection?

So they know each other. Were they dating?

Oh, man, did they even have a relationship?

Ju Hyun frowned. “Apparently, I wasn’t his type, which is ridiculous, of course, because he can never find someone like me,” she scoffed, turning to her with flashing eyes full of determination. “Whether he likes it or not, I’m here to stay, and I’m going to reach the finals.”

Sun Young swallowed.

That went from zero to hundred in a second.

Maybe I take it back. She seems really intent on winning; she might hurt a fly.

Or – she thought, as a flash of dread shuddered through her – another contestant.

Maybe I should just stay out of her way.

Ju Hyun giggled. “You look afraid, Sun Young.”

Do I? “I’m not afraid per se, just…Well, I think that’s a really good reason to be in this competition,” she said eventually, giving two thumbs up, “Best of luck.”

“I’d want to have friends I can count on,” she said, reaching for Sun Young’s hand and intertwining it with her own, “Since we are friends now, aren’t we?”

Gulp.

This is why I don’t prefer hanging out with girls. Everything has a deeper meaning.

Am I friends with her just because she thinks I’m her friend now, or am I friends with her because I want to be?

Just then, Amber appeared, with Sulli and Victoria in tow, holding up a plate of desserts.

“Ayy, fam, I got a bunch of cakes, and some eclairs. Thought you’d want to rethink rejecting them- what’s going on here?”

Ju Hyun looked up at the newly arrived girls, before looking at Sun Young. “How about you move to my table?” she asked, “We can talk some more; I’m sure we can make space for you.”

Wait, what?

Sun Young glanced at Ju Hyun’s table, which was a stone’s throw from Chanyeol’s, filled with gorgeous young women who had not gone for second helpings. From here, they looked like porcelain dolls, sitting still, not speaking to each other.

Victoria said at least half of them were from the upperclass chaebol circle; as a huge fan of societal gossip, she had recognized them right away.

Rubbing shoulders with the elite would be an understatement, her mind egged. You’d be among the future winners, for sure.

Each table held eight people, which placed the last four at the table all to themselves. However, despite the fun that entailed, being the last few meant that their table was the furthest, which put them in the bottom of an invisible hierarchy. Moving up front seemed like a good idea, if it meant she could make Chanyeol scowl at her presence.

But then her friends…

It wouldn’t be right to ditch them.

That’s it. Hell no I’m leaving them to sit with those pretty girls.

She met Ju Hyun’s expecting gaze, which seemed to put her in a trance. Their hands were still connected, and she was all too aware of her friends’ silence as they watched her.

Finally, without any hesitance whatsoever, she pulled away her hand. “I wish I could, but as you can see, Amber’s brought food and I can’t possibly deny desserts,” she said light-heartedly, “I’m sure we’ll be able to talk again, for all it’s worth. Thanks for dropping over, Ju Hyun.”

The heiress issued her a smile that didn’t seem to completely reach her eyes. “It was my pleasure,” she said, nodding to her, “Anytime you want to join us, please do.”

“I’ll let you know.”

…like never, she wanted to add.

Ju Hyun got up, floating away without a second glance as she returned to her seat, and as Amber plopped in the chair she had just vacated, there was suspicion there.

“What did she want with you?”

“We were talking.”

“What about?”

“Nothing much, really. She probably wanted to check on how much of a threat I was,” she said with a shrug, “She saw how friendly I was with CEO Park and might have thought I’d be a rival.”

“That’s dumb. You don’t even care about him.”

“Apparently she has a history with him. Didn’t elaborate, though.”

“Sounds like a jealous ex.”

Sun Young stared at Amber, momentarily transported to the day of the auditions when she had spoken to Chanyeol.

Is my presence such a weighty deal breaker to you that it would make you steer clear of me like a scorned ex-lover?

“Heol,” she murmured, “What if she is his ex or something?”

“I doubt it. Who’d want to dump a girl like that? Unless she’s got some dark secrets she doesn’t want to reveal.”

“She just said he rejected her.”

“Harsh.”

She gave Amber a look.

Amber, who was chewing on a cupcake, shrugged. “What? I’m giving acknowledging comments,” she protested, still full, “So you’d know I’m listening.”

Sun Young rolled her eyes.

Sulli sat on her other side, her eyes wide as she dropped her voice to a whisper. “She gives off creepy vibes,” she murmured, “Did you see how much she wanted Sun Young to follow her? Like she wants to recruit people into her ice queen army.”

Victoria poked her, making the youngest girl yelp. “Don’t be mean and start assuming what you don’t know.”

“Says the person who reads gossip columns.”

“Shush, Sulli. I do that to keep up with current affairs.”

“Uh-huh. Current affairs, of the illicit kind.”

“I’m a media major. I need sensational stories for journalism and television.”

“Oh sure,” Sulli said with a playful drawl, turning to them, “Her lecturer used to be sued for writing ‘sensational’ stories, and she’s probably picked up some bad habits.”

Victoria huffed. “Mr. Lee Jooheon is a good lecturer,” she insisted defensively, “He says the media should exist to reveal what people are quick to hide. He’s a visionary!”

“Oi, don’t fight, for goodness’ sake,” Amber interjected, reaching for an éclair and placing it on Sun Young’s plate, “Don’t be too disturbed about it, fam. I don’t think she’s got any ill-will, but let’s just keep an eye out just in case.”

Sun Young stared at her dessert plate with a frown. “I told you I don’t want any eclairs.”

“But the chef told me you liked them.”

She was about to ask which chef had claimed such a lie when she spotted Kyungsoo walking down the length of the banquet table, directing his staff as he passed by them. He didn’t notice her sending him her laser-sharp gaze, oblivious to her annoyance as he went about his work.

Sun Young glanced at Amber, pointing to her friend. “Him?”

“Yep, I think so. He says he knows you. If you don’t want to eat them I could always-“

“No, it’s fine. I’ll have it.”

Just this once, she thought, biting into the lush dessert.

Sun Young had always had a high regard for Park Yoora, the elder Park sibling. While she had similar facial features and expressions as her brother, she was significantly warmer, and softer in manner than him.

She had grace, friendliness, and a smile that was both sweet and sincere, and was always talking to the concierge staff, sometimes training new members on frontline operations. As a news anchor, she had years of experience with public speaking, and often accompanied the new staff as they dealt with guests.

Sun Young had met her during her senior days in high school. Yoora had called her, asking her to come to the hotel after school.

“Manager Han is having a bout of flu and she won’t take medical leave. She says she wants to wait until you arrive before going home.”

Upon reaching the hotel, Sun Young discovered that Yoora – who looked like she was only a few years older than her – had taken her mother’s place, handling frontline operations while the latter was resting in the sick bay. Shortly after the next shift manager had arrived, Yoora had insisted on driving them back.

She didn’t tell the heiress about her phobia of cars. Apart from it being the fastest way to send her mother home, Yoora herself was someone she trusted; Sun Young had tried to keep her panic down as she fussed over her mother.

That was the first time she had ever been in a car and not have a panic attack following her accident.

Following that first encounter, she never failed to be ecstatic whenever she saw her, and Yoora was equally amiable when they did, always asking how she was.

Even if Chanyeol wasn’t agreeable, at least his sister was.

“Right this way, ladies,” Yoora said, leading the troop of excited girls as they walked down the carpeted corridor of the Royal Pavilion’s West Wing, “Your rooms – or rather, room – have been specially prepared, and that is where you’ll be staying at from now on.”

She spoke through the chorus of ‘ooh’s and ‘ah’s. “The West Wing boasts a lot of special amenities, most of which are available to you in the duration of your stay,” she said, gesturing to a door, “Here, we have our very own little Heritage Room, where we have records of the species of flowers that we specially cultivate in our gardens, as well as other artefacts passed down from generation to generation. We also have a multimedia room, a meeting room, a dining hall, and our library, all of which are currently limited to guests of the West Wing; you are very privileged indeed, and I hope that you remember that you must remain tactful at all times, a trait that, as ladies, I’m sure you already own.”

There were wooden doors on both sides of the corridor, each with a golden sign on them, interspersed with paintings of people and different species of lilies.

Honestly, Chanyeol’s obsession with lilies is astounding.

They passed a door and Sulli pointed it out to Amber. “Would you look at that?” she asked, her eyes wide, “They’ve got an observatory in the hotel!”

Her friend lit up. “Dayum,” she drawled, trying the door. “Ugh. It’s locked.”

“Tough luck.”

“I know, right.”

They watched as Yoora walked to the door at the very end of the hall, pushing the double doors open. “I hope you like it,” she said, as the contestants emitted wonderstruck gasps of delight, “Presenting, the Lilium Suite, your temporary home.”

“I can’t believe we’re last again,” Amber muttered, “We’re the last to see everything.”

Victoria patted her shoulder. “It’s okay, we get to linger and not hold up the line at mealtimes,” she said with a wink.

They entered the room.

It was a large, circular room, with a high domed ceiling that had glass panels big enough for stargazing. From it hung a crystal chandelier, making the swirly marble floors gleam under its light.

Ten double decker beds were placed against the walls, five on each side, with two chests at the foot of the beds for storage.

On each chest, a single red rose sat, waiting for its owner.

The Games really has begun, Sun Young thought darkly, eyeing the deep scarlet tones of the petals. After the mild pastels of the room, it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb.

Yoora beamed. “Good, I see everyone looks satisfied,” she said, and they nodded enthusiastically as she walked into the room. “Before I give you a little tour, just pick your beds and place your suitcases so there’s more space to walk, yeah?”

Amber whistled, ducking out of the way as cameramen entered to capture the contestants’ giggly delight. “This is posh as heck,” she muttered, watching Sulli run to the farthest bed.

“I call dibs on this one!” she yelled, “It’s right next to the balcony!”

Victoria perked up. “Good one, Sulli,” she cried, running over to her friend and sitting on the bed next to hers. “Come on, Sun Young, this one’s for you and Amber!”

There were squeals as some of the contestants ran towards the remaining beds, all wanting to get the ones on the end, while those that already parked their suitcases by their beds hurried back to Yoora.

Sun Young wheeled her little suitcase to the bed Victoria was sitting on, placing it there and reaching out to caress the thick wood of her bed frame.

Even the bed feels expensive.

“Right this way,” Yoora’s voice pierced her little reverie, and she followed Amber back to the group of girls as their hostess walked across the room, opening a door to an adjacent room.

Yoora held open the door, and Sun Young could hear squeals of excitement from the front of the group.

I wonder what’s there.

Yoora chuckled. “Welcome to the bathrooms,” she said, answering her question, and as Sun Young entered, she too let out a gasp of awe.

This doesn’t look like an ordinary toilet, she thought, taking in the spacious interior, where the floor was carpeted. There were tuffets and a chaise lounge next to a row of dressers and their matching stools, illuminated by warm, glowing light.

“This is the powder room,” Yoora said behind her, “For when you do your makeup, your individual interviews, and for when you just want a little privacy and comfort. It’s the perfect place for a midnight chat if you don’t want to disturb the rest, and those seats are really comfortable. Trust me.”

“I’ve heard of these places,” Victoria whispered next to her, “But I’ve never been into a powder room in my life.”

Sun Young nodded. “It’s gorgeous.”

Yoora walked to the front, walking to another separate section of the bathroom. “This is the wet area of the bathroom,” she said, gesturing for everyone to follow, “There are ten cubicles in all. I know it will be difficult, but you’ll have to take turns with each other to take your baths so that everyone has a chance.”

“Why is that?” Sun Young murmured.

Sulli gasped and turned to her. “Because there’s a freaking bathtub in each cubicle!” she cried.

Her jaw dropped. “Are you serious?” she asked, standing on her tiptoes, “Where?”

This is the part where my height fails me, she thought.

“I saw them when she opened the door,” Sulli told her, taking her hand, “C’mon, I’ll show you!””

As the crowd began to move again, they went to one of the cubicles and Sun Young opened it, if only to see the place for herself.

No.

Freaking.

Way.

It was large, with a small chandelier hanging over the cubicle, its light reflecting off the shiny showerheads and ceramic toilet bowl. There was a sink, with automatic taps and soap dispensers, and a large mirror with a gold floral border.

There was a coat hanger near the door, and a shelf filled with towels and bathrobes.

Aren’t these places for rich people?

Pushing aside the shower curtain, she finally saw the bathtub, which was long and sparkling clean, practically inviting her inside.

Sun Young released the breath she was holding, feeling like she was about to hyperventilate.

This was too much for her heart; she felt like a princess.

Amber

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter