Forget-Me-Nots, An Interview, And Byun Baekhyun

Awkward (HIATUS - until Mountain Rose finishes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Forget-me-nots, like their name, is a flower that symbolizes remembrance and not forgetting one’s true love. Everyone loves them; they’re cute and small and baby blue.

Some people may not know that they’re also known as myosotis, which is Greek for mouse’s ear.

The funny thing is that they’re also called scorpion’s grass, and are very poisonous.

So, to put this in an analogy, if Park Chanyeol thinks I’m some sort of harmless little flower, he has another thing coming, because this little flower has different names, and one of them might just be poison.

Byun Baekhyun had had a rough night.

He couldn’t sleep.

Who could blame him; after three plates of barbecued beef, two bowls of soup, and one round of soju, he had immediately felt satiated, waddling back to Chanyeol’s car and almost falling asleep upon contact with the leather upholstery.

But in the wee hours of the morning, he found himself coming to for no apparent reason.

His friend was sound asleep next to him, having been very liberal with the alcohol. He didn’t know how Chanyeol could drink so much without batting an eyelid, but he wasn’t going to ponder on it.

All he knew was he couldn’t go back to sleep.

Baekhyun was no stranger to sudden awakenings; his thoughts, like fast rockets ricocheting against all corners of his skull, strove to send him into a frenzy, and that was probably why he was the best candidate for his job. All his thoughts and ideas were like sparks that were easy to catch fire and burn, and he would dive into his work passionately to produce creative innovations that the technological world was hungry for.

So when he realized he wasn’t going to be able to return to peaceful slumber, he sat up, glancing around the bedroom of his friend’s penthouse. The skies were turning blue, a sign that it was closer to morning than he had initially assumed.

He wondered if the girl – what did Zitao say her name was again, gosh – was already awake. She did mention that she worked at the flower shop, but that it was closed.

If her store closed early, then surely, by default, it opened early? It was only around eight in the evening when they had met.

Baekhyun yawned, stretching his arms over his head as he stood up and walked towards the bathroom. Maybe a nice, long bath would do him some good, and perhaps by then, the flower shop would open and he would actually be able to see her again.

He hummed to himself as he went about, digging about in Chanyeol’s cupboards for something nice to wear, but surfaced with nothing but mild disdain for his friend’s penchant for depressing colors.

And he wonders why he’s so emo. Get something pink or beige in a while, bro.

Eventually he threw on a navy-blue turtleneck, and one of Chanyeol’s coats – which seemed to eat him up but still, he couldn’t complain, it was freezing in the mornings and the latter’s coats were perfect for the weather – and left the penthouse as quietly as he could.

The walk to the flower shop was short, and he plugged in his earphones, tuning into the morning radio show. Today felt like a good day all of a sudden, and he was already grinning uncontrollably as he strolled down the same street that he had ran on the night before.

He held his breath as he peered up ahead, seeing the familiar shop that was…

…not open at all.

Baekhyun paused, blinking at the closed doors, the dark interior, and the We Are Closed signpost hanging behind the glass door.

Really?

He stared at the closed flower shop, watching the dark interior with a wistful feeling that permeated his initial happiness.

He was so ready to find her; his hand was already curled around the crisp hundred-dollar bill that he couldn’t wait to pass to her gratefully.

And now…

He was just a person standing along in front of an empty flower shop on a Saturday morning.

Well, this is disappointing, he thought to himself, staring at the large cursive words, Blossom & Bloom Flower Shop, before letting out a little sigh, walking away from the shop, hands tucked in his pockets.

It’s alright. I can always come back again next week. What’s the fuss? It’s not that far from the hotel.

In the dawning Monday morning, a little shop at the end of the street lit up, like a beacon that attracted lost wayfarers of Myeongdeong as the sun began to rise.

Jung Sooyeon hummed softly as she worked, positioning the little pots of chamomile on the wooden shelf to catch the soft sunlight that filtered through the glass panels of Bloom & Blossom. Soft classical music played in the background as she floated from one part of the store to the other, and she paused every now and then to sweep fallen petals or dried leaves that had dropped to the floor.

Usually in the early mornings like this, she wouldn’t be expecting a stream of customers. But sometimes there would be random people who entered the shop. Perhaps they were looking for a bathroom. Perhaps they were the homeless, seeking shelter from the heavy rains. Sometimes it was a passerby asking for a cup of warm water. And sometimes it would be the tipsy, and if those ever walked in and caused trouble, Soojung would be on hand with a broom while she would hold a handphone to her ear.

With her sister already stationed at the counter, she would be free from speaking to Mr Son and his blocked-noise voice later. That was a relief, because even though the Lunar New Year celebrations had passed, he was still adamant to push more flowers to their store.

The next celebration is Valentine’s Day, he said, and stargazers would be a great and versatile decoration to any couple’s celebration!

Sooyeon rolled her eyes.

Preposterous, she thought with a little sniff. If I wasn’t so sympathetic to the man’s plight, I would have caused a ruckus!

Already the reversal in roles with Soojung had such a desired effect, and she was actually enjoying her time bringing out flower pots, hanging the flower vases, and t whatever that needed to be trimmed. It reminded her of the time when she was a child, helping her mother in their flower garden, which inspired her to open Bloom & Blossom.

Sooyeon stopped next to the part of the store where all the lilies were, right next to the entrance, and sighed, staring at the shelf with thoughtful eyes. Sun Young had helped to clear the space, placing the stargazers there with the other oriental and Asiatic lilies, but it seemed like the stargazers were overwhelming the others with their sheer number.

What are we going to do with you, my little ones?

She reached forward and took the empty chalkboard hanging in front of the lilies, and reached into her apron, pulling out a chalk and writing on the black surface in cursive lettering:

Stargazer Lilies, 50% off for bulk purchases. Limited time only!

She hung it back, wondering if the desperate attempt to clear off the festive orientals would work.

Well, one must always try, to see how far they can go.

The bell tinkled, signalling customers, and she glanced past the other flowers to see a man walk in purposefully, striding to the front desk.

Sooyeon’s eyebrows furrowed as she absentmindedly felt the petals of the chrysanthemums in front of her, wondering what might make the guest – a man in an eccentric printed coat, ripped jeans and leather loafers – so adamant on walking into a flower shop at seven-thirty in the morning.

“Hi there!” he called, his voice cutting through the comfortable silence of the store, “Oh, thank goodness, you’re open!”

She approached the counter as well, noticing how he was looking around with a happy expression on his face. He didn’t look tipsy, but rather excited, if it could seem that; she had never seen someone be this cheery so early in the morning.

Well maybe except for Sun Young.

“Yes, we are, sir,” she began, just as the bell tinkled and another man – who was much taller and not as brightly-dressed as the first – came in.

He was impossibly tall, in black jeans and a matching hoodie, covering his face as he glanced around the store.

“Welcome, sir!” Soojung chirped, and Sooyeon turned to her sister, who looked slightly livelier compared to the other days she was at the counter.

Of course. These men were extremely good-looking, even if the second one’s face was partially hidden by a hoodie.

Sooyeon gave her sister a stern look, making the latter a little sheepish.

The first man glanced at the second. “Just give me a moment, bro,” he called, and the second nodded, before hovering around near the door.

Ah, so they came together.

Sooyeon met her sister’s eyes as the first man turned to her with an affable smile.

“Sorry to burst in so early in the morning,” he said, his hands stuffed in the pockets of his floral jacket, “I was so glad to see the store was opened and I just had to drop by!”

Sooyeon’s eyelashes fluttered in surprise. “Why, I’ve never actually had customers tell me that,” she said with a little tinkling laugh, “You’d be the first, Mr-?”

He chuckled. “Let’s not be so formal. Call me Baekhyun. Everyone does,” he said with a grin.

Chanyeol was still a little grumpy as he entered the shop, holding his hoodie closer around himself as he took in the rustic interior with an eye of a skeptic.

He had been sleeping so well when Baekhyun had woken him up, rather rudely, in fact, and was still a little miffed that he had been too sleepy to argue with his friend, who wanted someone to accompany him to the flower shop.

Please, I can’t just go alone, what if someone robs me again? I need someone to protect me, or at least be a witness!

Chanyeol shut his eyes as he leaned against the glass door, massaging his temples. He had barely been able to wake up, let alone hide his face, which was why this hoodie would have to do for now.

Soft music played in the store, and, coupled with the warm lights and cool air, it almost tempted him to find a spot and catch up on sleep. He had a pounding headache, which was not a good thing to have on Monday mornings, and why Baekhyun couldn’t wait to find his mystery chair-throwing girl, he didn’t know.

Why he agreed to follow, was another reason he wished he had been more conscious to think about before letting himself be dragged out of bed. He started late on Mondays, at ten thirty. This time could have been used for the extra snooze.

He shot Baekhyun’s back a glare.

As long as he finishes his business and we leave before more people see us, I’ll be fine.

But as he was lingering near the door, his eyes fell over the shelf of familiar dark red flowers, and he frowned, blinking at them.

Didn’t he see those before? What were those, again?

He saw a chalkboard above the flowers, his gaze fliting over the cursive words.

Stargazer Lilies, 50% off for bulk purchases. Limited time only!

He reached out and took a stalk in his hand, bringing it close to his nose and inhaling the scent as he shut his eyes.

Of course.

A name came to her mind.

More specifically, a face came to mind.

Auburn hair, large, round eyes, that pointed nose and scowling lips. He didn’t seem to be able to push it away from his mind no matter how hard he wanted to: she surfaced every time he saw the lilies of his hotel, since lilies reminded him of the stargazers, and the stargazers reminded him of Sun Young.

He remembered her defiant expression, no longer hidden by a bunch of oversized flowers, as she threatened him for insulting her mother. She had looked like some sort of neighbourhood gangster wanting to pounce on him and he had very much been shocked by the way she had slapped the lily against his cheek.

Then he recalled how she stared at him in shock when he held her arm, and how different she had looked in the sundress…looking softer and more refined compared to the previous ripped jeans that made her look like an angst-ridden teenager.

She looked like two different people, and he was still unable to properly conjure an idea about her.

How was it that these memories remained fresh in his mind, when she was only a stranger – albeit an intriguing, confusing one – to him?

He doubted she was thinking of him this much; perhaps she still hated him for what he had said, but so far, Manager Han hadn’t submitted any resignation letter, so he would assume that Sun Young wasn’t so furious with him. For one thing, he didn’t hate her; it was simply a misunderstanding. Like how, when a teacher jokes and no one laughs, he would say ‘I’m marking your papers, you know,’ and the students would burst into fake, noisy guffaws.

It was supposed to be a stupid joke.

But Chanyeol was bad with jokes, and only few people could understand them.

Few people referred to the one and only Baekhyun.

Which was pathetic, really.

No wonder his mother made him the running joke of that upcoming reality show.

He leaned against the shelf of stargazers, his eyes heavy and closed as he took in the fragrant scent he still didn’t know how to make of.

Maybe if the hotel had these from time to time, it would actually be good.

They’re still lilies.

Still her favorite flowers…

“I’m sorry, sir,” one of the staff was saying, her lilting voice floating at the back of his senses, “But any admirers for Jung Soojung are not allowed here.”

“I’m looking for someone else,” Baekhyun was saying, leaning over the counter.

“Someone else?”

“…Park Sun Young?” he suddenly said in the background, and Chanyeol’s heart felt like it stopped, his eyes opening wide and staring at the stargazers in front of him in shock.

Did he just say-?

He turned towards the counter, where his friend was pacing in front of and spotted the staff for the first time since entering. She looked like a gothic heroine, nodding sympathetically at his friend, her hair braided over one shoulder, with flowers interwoven in them. Her dress was long, sweeping the floor, and she wore dangling snowflake earrings on her ears. She held a little pot of blue flowers, looking up at Baekhyun with large doe eyes.

A bit too fancy for a florist, but I won’t judge. It adds to the ambience.

“Sun Young isn’t in today, Mr. Baekhyun,” she said, and Chanyeol felt something stir in his heart at her words, which, indeed, confirmed that Baekhyun had mentioned Sun Young’s name. “She has a prior engagement, and has taken the day off to go on her errands.”

“She won’t drop by?”

“I’m not sure what time she’ll return, but for sure she has something on. Maybe you could leave your number and we could pass it to her?”

“I’d rather just meet with her personally, actually,” Baekhyun’s voice faltered.

It was moments like this that Chanyeol realized that his friend was, indeed, a shy person. He didn’t like giving out his number, he didn’t like people calling and he didn’t like answering calls. He generally preferred reaching to them via email or text, where it was safer to think of proper replies before sending them instead of saying something impulsive that could have been recorded and used against him.

He dabbled in cyber hacking, he knew the risks.

“Well, she did say her errands were in the morning. Perhaps she might arrive around lunch or after, I can’t promise that you’ll see her, though.”

Chanyeol hadn’t realized how quickly his heart was pounding.

He wanted to blame coincidence, but what other flower girl in another flower shop in Myeongdeong was named Park Sun Young?

Somehow, at the back of his mind, when he had spotted the stargazers, he had known. He had known that he would have to face one of his demons, which assumed the face of that irritating flower girl.

So she was the one who had thrown the chair at Baek’s snatch thief?

Typical.

Way too typical.

Of course she had to be the violent hero.

I take it back. She’s definitely a gangster of some kind.

No doubt.

And then suddenly he realized that he couldn’t be here when she came.

She could recognize him, and Baekhyun being Baekhyun would ask her more questions rather than thank her for her assistance in retrieving his wallet.

And she might see him. She could even stand close to him – because what was personal space to her, after all – and if she stared at him, she could make out the part of his face with the pitted skin.

Chanyeol gulped. He couldn’t have that. He couldn’t have that at all.

For whatever she was worth, he couldn’t risk being seen barefaced in front of her; there was a certain vulnerability he felt around her, even with his covered skin, so it would be a disaster if she were to ever see him like this.

Why am I feeling like this? She’s some random girl.

He walked towards Baekhyun, placing his hand on his shoulder and making sure that he was on his friend’s right, so as not to expose his scars in front of these obviously flawless women.

“Could you give us a moment?” he asked.

The lady in the long white dress glanced up at him and nodded. “Sure, please take your time,” she said, bowing slightly, and he absentmindedly bowed back.

Baekhyun was confused as he was pulled aside. “What is it?”

“We can’t wait for her, Baek.”

“Sure we can, we could take a walk, or have breakfast around here and return. You know how shopping takes up my time,” he said, pausing to look at his watch, “Before you know it, it’ll be afternoon.”

Chanyeol gripped his friend’s arm tighter. “I can’t walk around ,” he almost hissed under his breath.

“Last time I checked, you’re wearing clothes-“

His fingers dug into Baekhyun’s shoulder, and the latter winced.

“You know what I mean, Baek,” he said murderously, “Don’t play dumb with me.”

“Bro, we went through this. You look fine-“

“You know what? You can wait an hour. I’m taking my car and going back to the hotel and sleep. You do you and walk back yourself.”

Now it was Baekhyun’s turn to grip onto his arm. “Don’t leave me! You know I don’t want to look like an idiot by myself!” he whined, “Besides, you know how I am with pretty girls. I get all awkward and embarrassing and I just become-“

“-a stammering mess, yes I know, Baek. Which is a good reason to just go back to the hotel for now, enjoy a hot and most importantly, a complimentary breakfast, and come back later,” Chanyeol rationalized, “Don’t you think?”

Baekhyun glanced around the shop, pouting. “But I barely spent ten minutes in here, it would be rude to just come and leave,” he said, sounding almost embarrassed, “These girls are super nice and helpful, she even asked me if I wanted to leave my number so they can pass it to her.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “So? Why didn’t you?”

“I just want to meet her in person and give her the money. I’ve got a packed schedule later and I’m not sure if I can ever drop by again. I’ve got to get back home today, after all,” he murmured, “And maybe- I don’t know-“

“You’re not going to ask her out, are you? Because that would be disastrous, Baek. What if she rejects you so hard you never want to be an international playboy again?”

“Shut up. I just want to be her friend, that’s all. Don’t be such an asshat, bro.”

Chanyeol let out a sigh, striding to the counter and placing the stargazer – which he only just realized had been in his hand this whole time – and he pointed to the shelf of stargazers.

He peered through his hair, which was still unceremoniously all over his forehead, at the girl behind the counter. “Are those all the stargazer lilies you have?”

The girl at the counter, with sleek straight hair and a denim jacket, glanced past him. “Well, sir, we still have more in the back. I think my sister can check for you-”

“I’ll take everything you have.”

She blinked. “I’m sorry?”

“All your stargazers. I’ll pay for them.”

She blinked. “Um, now?”

“Yes, now.”

The one in the dress appeared by his side, and he adjusted his hoodie over the left side of his face. Seriously, he forgotten her presence behind him the whole time.

She played with the ends of her long braids, her lips pursed as sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter