Dahlias, Gems, and a Disguise

Awkward (HIATUS - until Mountain Rose finishes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahlias are a paradoxical flower.

On one hand, they mean so many good things: dignity, elegance and everlasting union. Some people request that I put them into their wedding bouquets, and I can’t refuse; the flowers are beautiful and they’re a creative way to add color to the bouquet.

On the other hand, well, let’s just say that it symbolizes the ugly things in life: betrayal, dishonesty, and instability. Perhaps it’s the dark burgundy dahlias, the ones that look black, that may have perpetuated the idea that anything dark means something negative.

I digress. I think dahlias are wonderful.

All I need is a few of them in my own wedding bouquet.

Hah. Sike.

Despite being a working woman who barely got to spend time with her daughter, Han Nari was a very observant woman.

On top of that, she was the epitome of an Asian mother: she could spot the slightest difference in anything, from the vases filled with sunflowers around the house, from the fact that the bottle of hairspray had vanished from her vanity dresser, and from the sudden change in her daughter’s dressing that morning for breakfast.

The three of them – herself, Sun Young, and Amber – were having a small meal of rice, a few leftover side dishes from yesterday, and hot muffins that she had taken from the hotel this morning, and as Nari ate, she would cast glances at her daughter, who was chatting to Amber.

On one hand, she was happy to have Amber as a guest, and wondered if they were going out today.

But on the other hand, there was something off about Sun Young’s choice of dressing – a fitted mustard yellow sundress, a blue belt, and her hair braided elaborately on her head, which was strange, because although Sun Young wore dresses or blouses to work, she usually opted for less fancy ones, and would either braid or bun her hair loosely, or tie it up in a ponytail compared to style it this much that even she could see that the strands were sprayed on to make sure they didn’t escape.

She also had definitely put on extra makeup than she usually did; her skin glowed more than it usually did.

Nari waited until there was a lull in the conversation before casually asking Amber for the kimchi, to which the former obliged. And as she put some into her bowl, she glanced at her daughter and simply smiled and said, “Are you meeting someone today?”

Sun Young’s eyes widened, and she sharply turned to her mother.

Nari raised her eyebrow. “A date, perhaps?” she asked, glancing at Amber, who promptly stuffed her face with food. “You look very pretty today.”

“Eomma! Does it have to be a boy?”

Nari shrugged. “So… it is a boy?” she asked sweetly.

Oh, . I did not mean to expose myself.

Sun Young groaned, rolling her eyes.

“I’m just asking, no need to be so defensive.”

“Eomma, you always say that, and then overreact right after.”

“Who is it?”

Sun Young gave her a look. “Promise not to be overprotective?”

“I’ll try my best, but no promises. Who is it?”

Her daughter pouted adorably, and Nari suppressed a smile as she ate.

She looks like her father at times, it’s uncanny how they both know how to look cute.

“He’s a friend,” Sun Young began, “His name’s Kim Ryeowook. He’s the one who saved my life at the equestrian club, you know, when I told you I almost died.”

Nari nodded, looking down at her food. “I see. That’s nice. Where are you headed?”

She’s not even bothered.

Typical Eomma.

Sun Young fidgeted. “We’re going to get something to wear,” she said, casting a furtive look at her friend as she did so, “He’s asked me to this gala event on Friday. I’m going as his plus one.”

“So there is going to be a date,” Nari commented, looking up at her daughter, “Except that it’s this Friday, and not today.”

Her daughter looked nervous. “I’m not dating him, if that’s what you mean. He asked me because his sister’s not able to go with him, and he thought it would be a great opportunity for me to, you know, get out of my comfort zone,” she explained, her voice taking on a slightly anxious tone, “You…You’re always telling me to do things I’ve never done before, right? This is one of them.”

I mean, she once asked me if I ever had a boyfriend. That means she was expecting me to go out with a guy, right?

Nari nodded. “Of course I want you to go out more,” she said, looking down at her food, “But you do know that you’re in the reality show, don’t you? With Director Park?”

She frowned. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“Sun Young, in this house we don’t answer a question with a question, remember?”

Silence.

Amber had stopped eating and was currently watching them both, unsure whether to smile or look nervous.

Sun Young sighed. “Eomma. Let's be realistic here. You're asking me to marry your boss. Which is, let's be honest, weird.”

Let’s not even go into possible visualizations of us having him as part of the family.

Weird AF.

Nari shrugged. “I don't see why you're so upset. Legend has it he'll marry someone who fits his stringent criteria.”

I don’t get her, really.

“Really? Really? And what makes you think I fit that criteria?” her daughter asked earnestly, reaching out to her mother. “Eomma. Look at me. What makes you think someone like me – some broke, klutzy college student who works at a flower shop and doesn’t mind looking ugly – can ever be the wife of someone like your boss?”

Amber pointed behind her. “I’m just going to go to the bathroom-”

Both mother and daughter glanced at her. “Sit down,” they chorused.

Amber nodded. “Okay.”

Nari gazed at her daughter, reaching over the food to take her daughter’s hand in hers. She smiled, rubbing her thumb over the back of the latter’s hand, staring into her eyes warmly.

“Because you're my daughter. And I know you are exactly what he needs in his life,” she said simply.

Oh, god. See, this is the reason we have our differences. Eomma is a hopeless romantic, and I am…not.

She pouted. “Oh yes. Perfect. Like that even makes any sense.”

“Of course it makes sense. I see the both of you so often, I can see how you both behave and what you both lack, and how you can complement each other.”

Amber’s mouth opened. “Wow. Talk about having a personality scanner.”

“I have more than a personality scanner, honey,” Nari replied smoothly, going back to eating, “Trust me on this, Sun Young. You don’t know it yet, but you are what Director Park needs. And even if he wasn’t my boss, if he was just a lowly waiter or even a housekeeping attendant, I have no qualms introducing the both of you. What you do beyond that introduction is none of my business, but right now, here we are, and you are in this competition, and I hope you can trust me and trust my decision in putting you in there. Alright?”

Sun Young was silent, staring at her in confusion.

Nari could tell that she had a lot of questions, but was actively choosing not to say anything.

Just as she was about to, though, they heard a honk, and Sun Young gasped, her head turning to the door.

She grabbed her phone and looked down, before glancing at Amber, then at her.

“He’s here.”

Nari’s eyebrow rose. “He’s going to drive you?” she asked, genuinely surprised, “in a car?”

“Um, yes. What else is he going to drive in, a truck?”

A part of her was too busy suppressing her excitement for her daughter’s progress to actually mind the latter’s sarcastic remark.

Ah, to be able to see her sit in a car twice a week! How amazing!

The other part was curious as to how this mysterious Kim Ryeowook was able to even convince her daughter to take his car. She didn’t know whether to thank him or to be protective.

After all, she had a promise to keep.

Even then…

“Did you tell him?” she asked Sun Young, “About your incident?”

Her daughter shook her head. “No. Amber’s with me, so I hope I’ll be fine,” she said, helping to clear her bowls, “Thank you for the meal, Eomma. See you-”

“I’ll follow you to the gate,” Nari interjected, raising a hand when Sun Young was about to protest, “No objections.”

This is either going to go well, or it’s going to be super stressful.

Scratch that, it’s already stressful.

Ugh, why is Eomma like this? Is she angry that I’m not buying into her Chanyeol plan? Was she hoping that somehow I would fall in love with that pompous prince and try my best to win the competition?

Honestly!

She walked down the steps, well aware of her mother following behind, and raised a hand to wave at Ryeowook, who was leaning against his car outside.

“Good morning, Sun Young!” Mrs Young, who was hanging her laundry downstairs, bade as she ran towards the gates, “Been a while since I saw you!”

“Good morning!” she chirped back, “Nice to see you too.”

Mrs Young looked past her. “Hello there, Nari!”

Saved by the neighbour, Sun young thought, as her mother stopped to chat. She unlatched the gate and stepped outside. “Hi,” she said breathlessly to the chaebol, unsure if it was her nervousness or anticipation making her find it hard to say anything.

After all, this was a big thing. It was a while since she actually went out shopping; at most, she would go to the mall with her mother, Soojung, or alone.

It was even rarer that she actually went out with a guy.

And Jongin didn’t count, because he was, well, technically like a little brother.

Kyungsoo didn’t even go shopping, so he was out too.

Ryeowook was wearing flannel slacks, with a button-up shirt over it. His hair was neatly combed to the side, prim and proper, and a slow smile crept onto his face.

“Hi there,” he returned the greeting, gesturing to her, “You look like the rainbow after a spring rain.”

Sun Young blinked. “What- oh, me?” she blurted, shaking her head quickly when he nodded, “Rainbow? Spring rain? What?”

“I mean to say you look wonderful,” he added, “I like your dress.”

“Thanks. It was on sale in Myeongdeong, and I never had a chance to wear it out, so…” she blubbered. Just then, out of the corner of her eyes, she spotted her mother coming over, and gulped. “Just to let you know, my mother is super strict and she’s got her eye on you.”

Ryeowook smiled at her distress. “I should be flattered by that. Not many ahjummas have their eye on me,” he said, winking.

“This is serious!” she hissed, as the gates squeaked open.

“Don’t be afraid for me,” he murmured, turning just in time as Nari approached them.

Sun Young held his gaze. “Eomma, this is Kim Ryeowook, the friend I was telling you about,” she said, introducing them formally, “Ryeowook, this is my mother, Han Nari.”

He bowed low, before standing straight and smiling warmly. “My pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mrs Han,” he said, “I am Kim Ryeowook.”

Sun Young watched the expression on her mother’s face warily. “He saved my life,” she added, as both her mother and him glanced her way, “A-And he’s on the Olympics equestrian team.”

Her mother turned back to him. “Kim Ryeowook? That’s an unconventional name, especially in this day.”

O-kay. Ignore me, Eomma, why don’t you.

Let me just chill here with the embarrassment on my face.

He laughed. “It was my late grandfather’s name, my mother loved it very much,” he said, no hint of uneasiness as he smiled politely, “He didn’t have a chance to meet me, so she decided to let him be a part of my life.”

Sun Young looked up at him, eyes widening in curiosity.

Wow, that’s kind of sad and cute at the same time.

Ryeowook didn’t waste no time. “I hope you won’t mind me bringing Sun Young for a bit of shopping,” he said, “Most unfortunately, I was unable to have my sister as my plus one for my friend’s upcoming gala, and I immediately thought of your daughter, for she has a deep admiration for the unconventional, and appreciates art.”

Nari glanced at her. “My Sun Young?” she asked, almost curiously, before shrugging. “Well, that is kind of true.”

Sun Young bit her lip, looking back at the equestrian, who gave her a subtle look.

“Nevertheless, I will promise to bring her back by curfew today, as well as on the gala night,” he said, “On my honor, and I will ensure her safety as well as Amber’s today as we spend the day out. Won’t want to keep you waiting. I can even give you my phone number, in case you need to reach me. Here is my name card.”

Her mother looked almost flustered when he pulled out a namecard swiftly from his shirt pocket, passing it to her with both hands. “Ah, there really is no need to promise such things-”

Ryeowook flashed her another boyish smile. “I insist, Mrs Han. I’m sure your daughter would prefer that we come back in time, wouldn’t you, Sun Young?”

Biting her lip at their exchange, she nodded quickly. “Yes, which means we will have to go quickly to come back quickly,” she drawled, “See you later, Eomma. Don’t worry about me too much.”

Her mother gave her a look. “Aish, this girl.”

Ryeowook gave her mother a smile. “It was nice meeting you, Mrs Han.”

“Ah, you too,” came the reply, “Thank you, for taking care of my Sun Young. And for saving her.”

“It was nothing,” he said, as he turned to Sun Young, his eyes filled with something she couldn’t decipher, “I didn’t do anything; she saved herself.”

“You know, this is the first time I see you actively not working on your off day,” Baekhyun commented, holding onto the steering wheel with one hand while the other scratched his head, “It’s mind-boggling but I’m starting to like this new Chanyeol.”

“There’s nothing new about it,” the hotel director said with a roll of his eyes, “I just don’t see the point of having an off day when I’m literally staying in the hotel.”

“But you’re not paid.”

“Yeah, but it’s my hotel. If you start up your own company, let’s see you leave it for a day without thinking about it.”

“Hmm, you do have a point there, bro.”

“Can you stop scratching your head, you look like you got bugs or dandruff,” Chanyeol said, annoyed, “If that beanie is itchy, just, for god’s sake, take it off.”

“But it looks fashionable!”

“It’s making my scalp itch!”

“Then don’t look at my head!”

“I don’t even have to look at your head, your hand’s always reaching for your head!”

Baekhyun made a face. “You are just jealous because I got guts to dress up all nice while you look like a grim reaper out of hell,” he scoffed, “Salty.”

“Sure, Baek. You got me, I’m just being grumpy because I can’t put myself through the torture of fashion to get a bunch of girls fawning over me. Because that’s what is happening to you, isn’t it?”

His friend grinned. “You are such an , I love it.”

Chanyeol turned to the window, letting out a sigh. “Where are we even going?”

“Don’t be such an idiot, I already told you we’re going shopping for Sehun’s fashion gala.”

“I don’t need a costume, it’s just a masquerade.”

“Yes, but remember this, I’m not going. So that means you gotta bring a piece of me with you. And by that, I mean through your choice of dressing,” Baekhyun singsonged.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “I am not paying for something stupid.”

“Of course not, when have I looked like a clown?”

His friend turned to him ever so slowly, giving him a condescending look as the only sounds in the car were the muted instrumental music on the radio.

Baekyun let out a low whistle. “Wow,” he exhaled, “What have I ever done to you to make you such a hater?”

“You love me, though.”

“True that. We’re such relationship goals. You should have told me about the competition. I would immediately signed up and we’d have a winner by the end of two episodes.”

“Perhaps we should have.”

“But if that happens, then you can’t find the girl from your past,” Baekhyun said, “Dude. Help me find a parking lot.”

Chanyeol stared at the long stretch of boutiques and stores, feeling apprehension fill his chest at the prospect of having to go shopping.

He didn’t usually go out to buy things unless absolutely necessary.

And most of the time, he preferred to do it virtually, within the comfort of the Penthouse, where he was able to scrutinize the webpage – and come back to it multiple times – before checking out.

Or, he would simply have Secretary Choi make purchases on his behalf, like the time he had gotten her to buy him that tuxedo set he had seen on the window display of a gentlemen’s store not too long ago.

He had planned on wearing the tuxedo, until Baekhyun found out about the gala theme.

I’ve always wanted to go to the masquerade, was what he said, but since I can’t, let’s go costume hunting; this is definitely the best time to go out of your comfort zone.

He felt his friend nudge him. “Are you even listening to me, bro?”

“Huh?”

Baekhyun pulled up the handbrake and turned off the engine, reaching down to get his leather bag. “Earth to Chanyeol. I was asking, have you found the girl or not?”

“Who cares?” he said with a shrug, as he opened the doors, stepping out of the car.

Locking the car, Baekhyun hurried over to his side. “But you at least tried to do some sleuthing, right?” he asked eagerly, chasing after him as he walked down the sidewalk, “Did you try to find out about the thing I told you? The thing I saw at the intersection? About Sun Young and Amber-”

“I honestly doubt that she’s the girl who got hurt,” Chanyeol interjected, “I mean, c’mon, Baek, Sun Young can run. She’s literally the epitome of a physically fit person. I doubt my girl is that energetic.”

Huh.

My girl.

“Yeah, but-”

The hotel di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter