Chamomiles, Clashing Sabres, and Distance

Awkward (HIATUS - until Mountain Rose finishes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Patience is a virtue that many people stress but few people are able to master in times of distress.

Give me a pot, some soil, and a bag of seeds, and I can guarantee you that you can see sprouts within the next few weeks.

But throw me to an abyss where injustice, unfair treatment and imbalance thrives, and maybe I will not sound as calm as I just did.

But it’s alright, because I am just here to see where I end up. Imagine if I were here with the desire to win.

Would I remain this tolerant, still?

“Hey, you.”

Sun Young, in the middle of drying her hair over the balcony as she watched the morning sun rise, turned, seeing her cameraman eating a snack bar behind her. “Hey back,” she said with a wave, beckoning him over.

Dressed in jeans and a dark green shirt and a cap, Kris looked ready to start work as he walked towards her, almost energetically, despite the noticeable eyebags under his eyes.

Well that makes two of us who didn’t have a good night’s sleep thanks to this TV show, she thought.

“You alright?” he asked.

She leaned back, regarding him with a slow smile spreading across her lips. “I’m good,” she said with a shrug, taking her brush to tame her hair before the stylists worked on it later, “Why do you ask?”

Kris walked over, chewing thoughtfully. “I’m your cameraman, remember? I need to make sure you’re ready for filming,” he said, “I got some really great shots of you last night. Like, legit sad shots. You must have been really shocked during the elimination.”

She shrugged. “Yeah, I was. I still am,” she sighed, giving him a sad little pout. “Sulli’s a nice kid.”

Not to mention completely undeserving of her missing roses.

Those snakes.

He dug into his pocket and held out a snack bar. “Chocolate Oatmeal?” he offered.

“You should keep it for later,” she said, “I’m about to have breakfast anyway.”

“You sure?”

She nodded.

Kris bit into his bar. “Well, for one thing,” he mused, “One of the cameramen has been ‘eliminated’ since Sulli’s out.”

She blinked. “Cameramen are eliminated too?”

“They didn’t tell you? We’re on a contract, and the contract states that if our participant is eliminated, so are we,” he explained, “So, right now, it seems that one of the cameramen hyungs are out.”

“Is he okay?”

“He’s fine. A bit of a petty idiot, if you asked me,” he said with a secretive tone, leaning slightly closer, “He made a bet that I would be the first one out, but look where we are.”

Her eyes widened. “He thought that I wouldn’t last?” she asked.

He nodded.

She rolled her eyes and scoffed, but couldn’t hide the little spike of insecurity stabbing at her heart.

Hush, she told herself.

You proved someone wrong, Sun Young. That’s better than any negative comment coming your way. You did great.

I’m starting to sound like Eomma.

“I am dead serious,” he said, punching the air, “I was so close to get into a fistfight with him, I’m glad he’s no longer here with his stupid comments.”

“Oh, god, that’s intense.”

“Tell me about it,” he said, bumping his shoulder gently against hers, “Don’t worry, Sun Young, I’ve got your back behind the scenes. Don’t worry about anything.”

She gave him a grateful smile, and he winked back, making her laugh.

But then he turned, facing the garden view, and sighed. “I would love to learn as much as I can and show them how much I’ve improved so they can hire me for real in the future,” he said with a wistful smile, before turning to him, “So no pressure on you to stay in the competition, okay? You can do this.”

Sun Young watched him through the side of her eyes, the corners of her lips raising to make a little smile on her face. She liked hearing Kris talk; out of many of the staff she had conversed with, he seemed to be the one most like her, with his ambitions, his wide-eyed hope, and the feeling of being an underdog in the midst of people who seemed to have their life together.

If that wasn’t a description of herself, she didn’t know what was.

She punched his shoulder. “I can’t say anything, but I’ll try, alright?” she said, raising her last finger  between them, “No promises.”

He chuckled, linking their fingers together. “No promises,” he agreed, before leaning closer, “Still, though. No pressure.”

She beamed, nodding decisively.

Thank god for a cameraman who supports me.

Kris let go of her hand, continuing to eat his bar. “Any thoughts as to what is gonna happen today?” he asked thoughtfully.

“I’m not sure,” she sighed, “So far we’ve been at a lavish lunch reception along with a dinner-and-dance in honor of our participation in the show during Episode 1, walking in the shoes of the staff in Episode 2 while almost getting hit by a ballistic competitor during the Games-”

“You mean Miss Kim?” he interjected, “That was just crazy.”

She raised another finger to count off the episodes. “We also had to solve the missing telescope treasure hunt around the hotel in Episode 3 and I almost died at the equestrian club. Let’s not even talk about me trying to fend off Ju Hyun’s accusation over dinner,” she said, sighing again, “And try to get a photoshoot done in Episode 4 before accepting that one of my friends is no longer a participant.”

She looked up at Kris. “Sounds eventful enough for you?” she joked.

He finished the last bit of his snack bar. “Extremely eventful. How do you even manage?” he asked her, smiling sympathetically.

She tucked a stray hair behind her ear. “I honestly have no idea. Hopefully today will be a good day,” she murmured, “They told us to be in sports attire, so perhaps its outdoor activities again.”

Kris crumpled the wrapper in his hand. “I hope so too,” he said, “It’s so restricting to film indoors, the space constraint is one thing, the fact that we need proper lighting is another. I don’t know about you, but walking backwards in the hallway is really getting to me.”

She grinned at him. “Well, you have a brief respite from that for today, I guess.”

“Good morning, Sun Young!” Kyungri said, giving her a one-arm hug when she re-entered the Lilium Suite, “Damn, girl, you’re always so ready in the morning, aren’t you sleepy?”

She smiled at her friend, noting how the model looked like she had just stepped out of a women’s fitness magazine. From the flattering grey leggings to the fitting mint-colored windbreaker over a matching tank top, Kyungri was her ideal body.

Now, I wish I’m not so partial to desserts, or the occasional milk tea.

And maybe not so resistant to exercise.

Maybe I could look like that.

Sheesh, Sun Young. Who are you kidding? Food is practically your full-time job.

But she only shrugged. “I’m used to the early hours,” she said, as her hairstylist finished styling her hair, “Work always starts at seven, so I’m usually up before dawn.”

Kyungri clapped, impressed. “Well, I don’t know how you do it,” the other girl said, bending over to tie the shoelaces of her sneakers, “But you go, man.”

It’s nice to meet people who look amazing but are still down-to-earth like Kyungri. Humble, smart, beautiful, and never fails to compliment others.

She shrugged. “I try. It gets easier after a while.”

The model stood up, bouncing on the spot. “I wonder what we’ll be doing today,” she mused, “I mean, I’m always down for anything, but it’s starting to be a little nerve-wracking every now and then, if ya know what I mean.”

Sun Young nodded.

Oh, I think I do.

They heard laughter coming from the other side of the Suite, and glanced over to see Ju Hyun and her little band of chaebols. Sunny was laughing so happily, throwing her head back in high-pitched giggles.

“So it’s confirmed? We’re fencing? Omigosh, I love that!” she said exaggeratedly, before casting Sun Young and Kyungri quick looks, “I mean, I was the champion for my school team, so what can I say, right?”

They turned back to each other before rolling their eye to each other.

PD Kim had hinted that today was going to be a sport that starts with F. Honestly, it was either Floor Hockey or Fencing or Figure Skating or Football or Floorball.

Just to stay on the safe side, I read up on everything.

Why am I suddenly getting so involved in this competition, you may ask? Well, I realized if I am to have some sort of plan to avenge Sulli, I may as well take this game seriously. Starting with today’s episode.

Her friend seemed to read her mind. “I’m up for anything, with or without experiences,” Kyungri said, slightly louder, “Anything except cheating, of course. That’s just nasty. I’ll see you in a bit, Sun Young. Gotta make sure my roses are still where I kept them last night.”

Hearing her words, some of the other girls sniggered, and Sun Young smiled despite herself, noting how Hyoyeon was scowling as Kyungri passed by their bed to get to her own.

And, just to spite the chaebols harder, the model smiled at them. “Don’t forget to take care of your roses, guys,” she said flippantly, “Word’s going around that there’s a rose thief in this room. Might want to check on them flowers before they’re gone.”

Amber was grinning as she styled her hair. “Well, just when I thought today was going to be a chill day off,” she said under her breath.

Victoria, who was folding her duvet, shook her head. “It’s time to avenge Sulli,” she said, “We have to make them pay for the bullying they’re doing to everyone. I say we go hard.”

“You’re quite the fierce busy bee today,” Amber commented.

“Of course. They can’t know what hit them.”

Sun Young took a quick peek over at Ju Hyun, and immediately looked away when she realized the latter was staring right back, eyes blank and expressionless as her gaze drilled into her being.

She stared back just as intensely.

If you think I’m caving, ice princess, you’re most definitely wrong.

Ju Hyun smirked, before looking away and back to her friends.

Sun Young let out a little breath.

She’s shady as heck.

Rana appeared, holding up a mirror and a lipstick as she swiped it over her lips. “Yo,” she chirped, “Do you guys need to touch-up?”

They shook their heads.

Hyuna popped up next to her, tying her blond hair into a ponytail. “Shall we head to breakfast together?” she asked, her eyes twinkling excitedly, “It’s better to unite, you know?”

Victoria placed her hands on her hips. “Sure, why not?” she said breezily, “I’m ready for anything.”

There it is, that undercurrent of fierce challenge. Something electric is in the air, and I don’t know if I like that everyone’s getting ready to charge at the slightest occurrence of drama.

Ever since that night Ju Hyun came for me, the others seem almost antsy. Like they are expecting something bad to happen, and aren’t afraid to rear their heads and declare war should there be a need for it.

As for me, I don’t know if I want them to do it, even if it was to back me up. It doesn’t feel right. This isn’t how we should let the conflict air out.

If we do that, the whole country is going to watch us go down. What’s to stop Ju Hyun from pretending to be innocent and taking the price while everyone gets a bad rep?

Aish, Sun Young, there you go again, overthinking.

Today’s going to be a good day. Today’s going to be a good day.

As they fell into step with Kyungri and her friends, Sun Young felt slightly more at ease. Sure, they were not in any trouble with Ju Hyun and her little band of heiresses yet, but she did feel more comfortable within the large group of enthusiastic girls as they walked out of the Lilium Suite together.

And after whatever that happened at the restaurant yesterday, the last thing I need right now is to be going around alone; Chanyeol’s everywhere, and he might catch me unaware.

I say protection is of utmost priority right now.

Speaking of which, the hotel director was already waiting for them, standing in the hallway as they walked towards the dining hall. She noted how the hotel director was smiling widely, holding the door open for the girls and leaning towards them so he could hear them better.

Her heart raced. She could remember the way he looked when he had asked her out, all nervous and stumbling over his words as he looked at her with that half-stricken gaze.

“Are you free next Friday night?”

Had she been too harsh to mock him then? Should she have said something else, like ‘let me check,’ or ‘I wish I could, but I have something on,’ rather than reject him outright the way she had?

I was too shocked, and whatever came to my mind simply went out my lips.

She watched him thoughtfully, her eyebrows creased as she tried to imagine why he suddenly seemed chipper today; he was even holding onto Kyungri’s arm as the latter spoke to him.

I wonder if he’s lost whatever respect he had for me.

Especially when I almost dislocated his shoulder when he grabbed my hand.

She shut her eyes in resignation with every step she took towards him.

Just nod and say hi, then get in there, Sun Young.

Forget about what happened last night. He looks like he certainly has.

Look at that, he’s so happy talking to everyone.

“Good morning Miss Liu, Miss Song,” his baritone voice permeated her ears, “Miss Park.”

She opened her eyes, meeting his eyes for a millisecond. “Good morning,” she said, just as Baekhyun appeared.

“There’s my heroine!” he said, as she looked away from Chanyeol to him, “I feel as though I haven’t seen you in forever.”

Dressed impeccably in a black shirt under a firetruck-red blazer with matching pants, Baekhyun was as blinding as he was cheerful; his eyes were bright and sparkling, and his hair was mussed and messy as if he had worked hard to perfect its imperfect look.

Standing next to the dour and chic Chanyeol – who wore black, again – Baek was as striking as a shooting star against the empty night sky.

And I’ve always loved stars, so let’s just say I’m partial to Baek more than that grumpy grouch.

She beamed, reaching out to take his outstretched hands before bouncing on the spot just as excitedly. “Well, you’ve been extremely busy,” she said with a shrug, entering the dining hall with him, “And we’ve been busy with filming too.”

Thank god for the wonderful distraction that is Byun Baekhyun.

He placed an arm against her back, leading her to her chair. “I’m beginning to really loathe adulting,” he grumbled, settling into his seat next to hers, “There’s work, work, and more work. The highlight of my day is to see you girls and just let loose.”

A smile found its way to her lips. “I can tell.”

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Chanyeol walking over.

Shoot. I’m two seats from him today. Who’s in charge of seating arrangements? I need to have a talk with them.

Stay cool, Sun Young.

She stared at the table before her. There were little bowls of dried flowers in front of her, and even from here, she could smell them.

Chamomiles.

I thought Eomma said Chanyeol only wanted lilies in his hotel. Funny how there are random flowers here and there every now and then.

If she looked at Baekhyun, the hotel director would be in her line of sight too, but thankfully, Chanyeol was preoccupied, concentrating on something Eunji was saying to him.

He’s not even looking at me like he always does, she noted.

Is he upset because of last night?

Or is he embarrassed about it? He didn’t seem to show any emotions when I passed him earlier.

Waiters entered the dining room, placing steaming platters of porridge in front of them, and she was distracted by the food. The aroma of chicken filled her senses as a server placed her bowl in front of her.

I will never get tired of eating this every morning.

“Bon Appetit,” Chanyeol’s voice interrupted her reverie, and she glanced at him fleetingly before looking back at the porridge.

“Don’t mind if I do,” she murmured to herself, taking a spoonful of kimchi to put inside her bowl, mixing the cold cabbage into the warm porridge. She took some into , shutting her eyes as she smiled to herself.

Kyungsoo helped to perfect the kimchi recipe that the previous chefs incorporated as part of their menu, and by god, it was one of the best ones I’ve ever tasted.

He always tells me that his father used to do the kimchi, because his mother was not much of a cook, and the family recipes were always passed down from his father, who was passionate about food.

Even my moth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter