Blooming Bonds, A Dinner Invitation, and An Important Hint

Awkward (HIATUS - until Mountain Rose finishes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My mind can’t rest well these days.

It seems as though the whole world is out to get me, the way they seem to secretly mock me when I’m not looking. I can’t go anywhere without those eyes, whether human or no, watching my every move.

Because I’m the prince in this story, aren’t I? The Ice Prince, hiding behind his walls of indifference and coldness, high up in the Penthouse.

Waiting.

Waiting until the right person sets him free.

Le Chaton Blanc was a flurry of activity at the table filled with the judges for the day’s mission.

Park Chanyeol was staring at the rows of pictures in front of him. Together with the Heads of Department, Baekhyun and PD Kim, he was supposed to be choosing a girl for the dinner later.

Yoora had returned after her previous engagement, and was seated next to him, pursing her lips as she stared at the pictures of her Concierge team in front of her. He could see how much she was struggling to pick a picture; they had been in the restaurant for almost twenty minutes and she still didn’t have a nominee in mind.

He had thought it would be easy to choose: just pick a random contestant, one he had yet to know and was interested in knowing. But it seemed as though PD Kim wanted him to pick someone out of merit, and though it was still early for these things, given the fact that he wasn’t even sure if he knew all their names yet, he was going to have to pick someone.

Not only did he rewatched the day’s events and read through the mentor’s evaluations, he had to review the contestant profiles gathered by PD Kim during the interview stages and take into account the unanimous vote from the mentors.

But it was proving to be a very challenging task, as evident from the two people currently defending their chosen girls: Mr. Yoon on his right, and Kyungsoo on his left.

A hand slammed on the table. “Chef Do, you are such a wonderful colleague and friend, but I must object!” Mr. Yoon said passionately, waving a picture wildly as he spoke, “I highly doubt Miss Choi showed exemplary enthusiasm and teamwork, unlike my Hyoyeon.”

“All I’m saying is your candidate should not be chosen over my candidate, that’s all,” Kyungsoo said with a shrug, holding up a picture of Sulli, “She was the F&B’s top performer, and Chef Wu – who has three Michelin stars, mind you – asked if she ever had a passion for cooking. He sees her potential that much. And you know he’s not easily impressed.”

Chanyeol suppressed a shudder.

Chef Wu strikes even the bravest hearts with fear.

If he has taken a liking to Sulli, then he must have a weakness for that innocent child charms. He likes to regard his colleagues as his children, unless they are in his kitchen team for the day.

“Really?” Yoora wondered aloud, “He barely cracks a grin, he says she has potential?”

“She filleted a sea bass without batting an eyelid.”

Yoora blinked. “Well, wow, that was unexpected.”

“Apparently her parents own a seafood restaurant and she helps out often enough. Chef Wu likes her technique.”

Mr. Yoon raised his hand. “Yes, but you don’t choose a date because she can cut up a fish,” he pointed out dramatically, “I still object-“

“Miss Kim had a very bad show of sportsmanship earlier, didn’t she?” Kyungsoo interjected, “Given the fiasco with Sun Young.”

Chanyeol found himself nodding automatically.

The Head of Housekeeping let out a breath. “Ah, yes. That.”

A chuckle came from across the table, where Baekhyun was sipping from a wine glass.

“That puts her out of the selection then,” he said unapologetically, reaching over and taking the picture out of Mr. Yoon’s hand, “She’s out, for trying to stir up trouble.”

PD Kim nodded. “I had no hand in this. I did ask the girls to start some petty troubles before, but she’s taking it a little too far.”

Chanyeol looked at her. “You think, Miss Kim?” he deadpanned, “If you hadn’t asked her and the Sunny girl to pick on Sun Young, she wouldn’t have an excuse to keep harassing Miss Park, now, would she?”

Baekhyun’s head whirled to him, the look on his eyes concerned as he turned to the producer. “He’s asking a rhetorical question, you don’t have to answer.”

“I do want an answer, PD Kim. Why would you create unnecessary problems for the other contestants?” he asked, “I’m sure you have other ways of keeping viewers hooked, or is it an Mnet thing you must have ever reality show?”

Baekhyun turned back to him. “Chan,” he began warningly, “Can you stop being so sarcastic?”

“Don’t interfere, Baek. I’m asking the questions here,” he replied smoothly.

He felt his sister’s hand intertwining with his own.

“Careful,” she murmured softly, almost inaudibly.

His lips pressed together.

He knew he was overreacting, but if there was something that he couldn’t stand, he was bound to address it, even if it was potentially triggering.

If it wasn’t obvious that he didn’t like the producer, well, it was now.

I must remain calm, he thought to himself, as flashes of Sun Young’s anxious face appeared in front of his eyes.

First in the gardens, when she had seemed to run away from the Lilium Suite and he could see the streaks left by her tears on her face.

And earlier, when she had looked so lost as Hyoyeon was taken away.

“She could have been hurt,” he said, realizing he was voicing out his thoughts, “Thanks to your need for drama.”

Yoora’s fingers tightened around his own, and he turned to see her look back at him, tight-lipped.

Don’t continue, her gaze seemed to implore. This is not the time or place for these kinds of discussions.

PD Kim leaned forwards. “I think your questions are valid questions, Director Park,” she finally said, her lips contorting into a smile that didn’t seem like one, “And I can see why you would feel this way.”

He frowned.

“Do you have feelings for Miss Park Sun Young?”

He sputtered. “How does that even apply to this situation?” he protested, sounding louder than necessary.

“Who was your candidate in mind, then, Director Park?”

He stood up. “Obviously not her,” he said, reaching out to one of the Concierge girls and snatching up a picture that was not Sun Young, who had initially been one of his top three choices across all the contestants.

He was certain she would be quite the chatty companion, the perfect distraction, and if given the opportunity, he was sure he could chip off that loud exterior, maybe even discover that other side of her he was dying to see again after the dance.

There was something tempting about unravelling something, and if he concentrated enough, he could still feel the ghost of her fingers on his face, dangerously close to his scars as she frowned curiously at him.

“Who were you, before whatever happened to make you so different?”

Those words had made his insides burst into a kaleidoscope of memories threatening to release the dam of emotions buried so deeply within.

Park Sun Young didn’t know it, but there was something in the way she asked questions that could reach into the very depths of his soul at the most unexpected of times, grasping his vulnerability and making him shatter from within, not exactly in a terrible way.

If he was being particularly optimistic, which he wasn’t, he would pick her tonight.

And if she was someone closer to him, he would have taken the time to answer her question over dinner, going into detail because heck, he felt that there was something that made her someone he could trust.

And…

If he were romantic enough, he would tell her that she had similarities to the girl he was looking for.

But he didn’t have the guts, nor did he want her knowing whatever that was running through his head. She would mock him as it is.

It was safer that he kept it inside, where he wouldn’t seem strange and broken and pathetic.

It was better that way.

“It’s nice to be able to get some fresh air,” Amber sighed, “I’m glad they allow us the liberty of moving freely instead of asking us to stay in the hotel.”

Sulli fastened her coat, buttoning it up as she hopped off the hotel steps. “I mean, being inside the Lilium Suite is nice and all, but I don’t think I can take another moment feeling suffocated,” she said with a shrug, “I need to go to Hongdae, eat some nice street food. It’s my sustenance.”

Sun Young nodded enthusiastically. “Wait till you go to Myeongdeong. It’s waaaay cheaper.”

Victoria shook her head. “Okay, but have you been to Dongdaemun?” she interjected, “I need my retail therapy. I haven’t gone shopping in two days.”

They turned to her and groaned in unison.

“Well, I’m hungry, I need my food,” Sulli pointed out, linking arms with Sun Young, “Where shall we go? Hongdae or Dongdaemun?”

“To be honest, since we’re already in Myeongdeong, and Sun Young knows this area best,” Amber began, “Maybe we should just be in the area.”

Sun Young turned back. “I don’t want the cameramen to travel too far,” she trailed, waving at the two men behind, “Kris! Luhan!”

He looked up, and she beckoned him over.

“I’ve always admired your ability to befriend every single person who comes along,” Victoria said with a little sigh, “It’s like their looks don’t faze you. I would have been stammering in their presence. How do you do it?”

Sun Young rolled her eyes. “You just, I don’t know, talk to them, I guess,” she said, as Kris came over, “Hey, whaddup, Kris.”

He adjusted his beanie over his head. “What’s up?”

She gestured to the girls. “We’re deciding where to eat, you have any specific place you want to go?”

He turned to the other cameraman, who was bundled up from head to toe save his eyes. “Lu, you craving anything?”

He shook his head, saying something they couldn’t catch.

“What was that?” Victoria asked.

He came over, pulling down the black mask over his mouth and revealing his young, cherubic face. “I’m okay with anything,” he said with a smile that almost made Sun Young blinded.

She turned to Sulli. “What do you want to eat?”

“Anything, really. As long as it’s cheap and hot.”

“Vic?”

“I’m okay with anything too. But I have to go shopping after that.”

“Amber?”

“As long as I can walk around and get lost for a bit, I’ll go wherever you guys are going. I’m cool with anything too.”

“Great,” Kris muttered, “At this rate, we’ll just stand outside the hotel getting colder.”

Victoria laughed. “I wasn’t expecting your cameraman to be really blunt, Sun Young!” she cried, glancing at him, “What a savage.”

He shivered. “We are getting colder,” he protested, “Besides, you can’t expect us to be quietly following you all the time, can you? We have mouths too.”

Victoria let out a scoff. “Oh, please, at least we’re including you in our dinner plans, stop being such a baby.”

“Stop being such a baby,” he repeated after her, making Sulli laugh harder.

“I rather like this atmosphere more, even if Mr. Smart- here is testing my patience,” Victoria commented, rolling her eyes at Kris, “It feels less forced, don’t you think?”

Sulli folded her arms over her chest. “Okay, unnie, enough flirting. You’re turning out to be as bad as Kyungri.”

Victoria gasped. “I wasn’t flirting!” she cried, whirling to Kris, “Was I flirting?”

He shook his head vehemently. “Don’t ask me anything, I’m just the cameraman. I’m supposed to be following you guys quietly.”

“Didn’t you just wax lyrical about how you have mouths?”

He shrugged.

Amber cleared . “So, Sun Young, where are we headed?”

She pointed ahead. “We’ll go around Myeongdeong, since you two are okay with anything,” she said, “I know a really nice stall Sulli can get hot tteokbeokki, and a vintage clothes store Victoria can’t resist. Kris and Luhan can get enough recordings without having to walk too much and Amber can go sightseeing for a bit until we return for curfew.”

“Sounds like a plan. Everyone okay?”

Sulli nodded vigorously. “Let’s go.”

“Wait!” someone’s voice called, making them turn.

Baekhyun, in a yellow printed beanie, a pink coat with donut prints, neon orange pants and a bright green scarf around his neck, ran towards them like an old friend. “Can I tag along?” he asked, a megawatt grin on his face.

There was a moment when they took in his appearance, before returning their gazes to his face.

Amber shrugged. “Join the fam, fam.”

Park Chanyeol leaned against the railing of the restaurant, looking past the bright lights of the city before him. Cars whizzed past, its occupants having places to go. Buildings were lit, signalling the presence of people still working despite the time. There were probably hordes of people milling about the street food stalls, buying piping hot snacks to stave away the particularly chilly night, or singing songs at the karaoke bars nearby, or getting drunk off soju and complaining about their day.

It seemed like the type of night that called for fun.

That was half the reason he had suggested the other contestants be allowed to travel out of the hotel. He could see how things were steadily intensifying between each other, and with the tension between Hyoyeon and Sun Young, he didn’t want to see another episode between the two of them.

He was still fraught with mixed feelings regarding what had transpired at the Lawn earlier.

Was it the concern he had, seeing Sun Young so shaken?

Or was it a kind of protectiveness that had stemmed from that concern?

Most importantly, why was he distressed on her behalf?

He exhaled, shutting his eyes and shaking his head, “I don’t know why you’re getting so worked up, Chan.”

He was just being concerned for the wellbeing of his guest.

He was simply reacting unconsciously, especially when Sun Young was in his team for the relay race.

That was it, he was being there for a fellow teammate.

So why was there a little voice at the back of his head telling him it wasn’t?

He knew there he had more than just a little bias for Sun Young; to him, it felt like a lot, the way he always wanted to gravitate towards her.

Heck, the more he saw her, the more he seemed to feel the disconcerting feelings of butterflies in his stomach. It was funny, and if he wanted to laugh out loud he would, because he knew full well that it was a crush, and he was still in rational possession of his mind, and that he knew Sun Young was unaware of it, but he still seemed to be attracted to her like he had no other.

If no one else had noticed, Yoora certainly had; her supposed errand earlier was a ploy to get him to participate in the mass games with the girls. She had left to see Yixing while everyone was at the Lawn, allowing him the opportunity to mix around with her team, which was coincidentally Sun Young’s.

You have to think of who you match well with, she had told him, after Kyungsoo and the others had left the restaurant following his altercation with PD Kim. If it’s Sun Young, and no, I’m not being biased, then you should get to know her more.

She had stood right next to him – in fact, after she left, he was still in this same spot – and he knew she very much wanted to ask him a truckload of questions, but was being considerate for his sake.

It’s not the elimination round yet, but you should at least have ten people in mind. Then, you systematically give roses to those people so that when it comes to the elimination round, you’re set.

Isn’t that already planning for the end?

She had laughed. Of course. Finding your soulmate is never an easy process. I mean, look at me. I’ve known Yixing since university, and he’s been so patient even though it’s been a long-distance relationship.

Chanyeol had huffed like a pouting child. That’s different. I don’t have that much patience.

Yoora had placed her arm around him, pulling him closer to her so that she could place a kiss against his cheek, right where his scars were.

But that is what love is, she had told him. Patience, trust, and feelings.

He had stared at her for a long time, before rolling his eyes at her. You’re so romantic, it’s giving me diabetes.

Every family has that one person who believes in first loves and happily-ever-afters, Channie. In this family, it happens to be me.

Now, as he frowned to himself, Chanyeol realized his sister was wrong.

Because he believed in them too.

Except, of course, no one knew.

He let out a little sigh.

I forgot to ask her if that girl – the one who saved me – is among the contestants.

If she confirms with Mother, then at least I can be a bit more proactive in searching for her.

Maybe Baekhyun can help to filter her out somehow; he’s always chatting them up.

“Man, it’s cold,” someone commented behind him, and he jumped, startled as he turned to see Kyungri standing just a short distance behind him, holding onto her bare arms and shivering.

She looked at him. “When did it get so cold? It was hot in the afternoon, wasn’t it?” she said, shuddering.

He was expecting the goofball from the games, who would crack jokes and laugh regardless of whether they were funny or no, but Kyungri seemed to have another idea, and was decked out in an elegant gown as she stood at the doorway, her eyes lined thickly as she regarded him with her magnetic gaze, glitter making her eyes pop.

He cleared his throat. “It rained earlier, after the sun had set, so maybe that could be the reason why,” he said quickly, trying not to seem like he was staring, “When did you come up?”

“Only just,” she replied, her heels click-clacking as she walked towards him, her expression breaking into an admiring one as she reached out to hold the railing. “This is…wow. Now that is a view!”

Chanyeol watched her as she oohed and ahhed, amused. “I’m glad you’re appreciating it physically rather than taking out your phone,” he said with a ghost of a smile.

Because that was what people did these days, wasn’t it? Whip out their phones and seeing the world through the camera lens?

What a waste.

He was instantly reminded of his unfortunate incident fifteen years ago, and swallowed, his face turning grim once more.

Kyungri, oblivious to his inner thoughts, merely sighed. “I left my phone in the Suite. Didn’t think I’d need it, especially when there’s food,” she said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. She turned to him, smiling sheepishly. “Besides, the girls told me I’m already too obsessed with it, so it’s for the best.”

“Good decision,” he said, gesturing to the restaurant, “Would you prefer to soak in the atmosphere or shall we continue to dinner?”

Her features lit up in excitement. “Food. Of course. I’m starving,” she said, following him to the table, “And I’m cold, so being indoors would be great.”

He noted her bare shoulders, already reaching for his suit.

She raised a hand. “No, Mr. Park-”

He took it off regardless, passing it to her. “Just take it.”

She reluctantly took it, before looking up at him. “Are you serious?” she asked, following him back into the restaurant.

Chanyeol glanced at her, walking towards the table set for them. “Why would I have to be serious to offer my jacket?” he asked, pulling a chair for her to get in.

“I don’t know,” Kyungri said with a grin, slipping her hands through the sleeves, “Ahh, your body must be really hot. It’s warm in here.”

He blinked at her as she shut her eyes, humming in appreciation.

She opened her eyes, her smile disappearing.

“Wait,” she murmured, as her cheeks turned a faint shade of pink, “That wasn’t supposed to come out the way it did.”

He didn’t trust himself to answer; he only reached for the wine.

Kyungri leaned forwards. “I meant in the literal sense. You’re hot as in, the temperature wise, not the aesthetically descriptive meaning of ‘hot’.”

“I get what you mean,” he said hastily, sounding slightly choked as she buttoned the coat around her, “What were you thinking, wearing that dress?”

“I wanted it to be special,” she retorted, “Trust me, I’d love to wear my favorite sweatshirt and jeans and come up here, but well-”

“Because it’s the ‘exclusive rooftop dinner’ which you cannot have again?”

Kyungri beamed. “Exactly! See, you understand my pain,” she said.

“Your attempt at lightening up the mood is admirable, Miss Park.”

She even has the same surname as her.

She coughed. “Well,” she began, if you must know, I’m not really great at a lot of things besides being a living meme.”

“I highly doubt that statement,” he returned, passing her a glass of wine, “And where even did you get that phrase from? Living meme?”

“Sun Young gave it to me.”

“Figures.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because it sounds like something she’d say.”

Kyungri sipped her wine, nodding eagerly. “I know these types of dinners are supposed to be all high-class and formal, but I thought since we had fun at the Lawn earlier, we’d just continue from there and not have things be so awkward,” she said, “And I have so many questions to ask you.”

Chanyeol passed her the menu. “You do? Why?”

“Why not?”

He raised an eyebrow. “That’s not a good justification for an answer.”

Kyungri chuckled and glanced down at the menu, letting out a little gasp. “How cute,” she murmured, her fingers tracing the outline of a white cat on the cover before opening it and peering at him from above the menu. “Not everything needs a ‘justification’. You know how they say, ‘live life to the fullest’?”

Before Chanyeol could give an answer to rebut her point, her eyes widened and she turned the menu towards him, her manicured finger tapping against a picture of a large platter filled with seafood.

“This,” she said, her eyes lighting up, “Is why we should live to the fullest.”

He looked at her sceptically. “The question is, can you finish all that?”

Kyungri pouted, closing the menu and handing it back to him. “I’m a supermodel, but that doesn’t mean I always have to eat like one.”

“This. Is. Brilliant!” Victoria squealed, steam coming out from as she chewed on the grilled yam, “How can something taste so good?”

Sun Young paid the stall vendor, turning to her. “You’re getting excited too soon,” she said with a laugh, “We barely started!”

Ahead, Amber, Sulli and Baekhyun were waving them over from another stall.

“Ah, they’ve found the jackpot,” Sun Young murmured, seeing the familiar stall, “Legend has it that the tteokbeokki sold at this stall is so good, that ministers would buy from this stall for their foreign dignitaries.”

Victoria turned to her. “Judging from the smell, I wouldn’t disagree,” she said, holding onto her friend as they wove through the crowd of people, trying to stay together despite the cramped space, “Oh, it smells even better up close!”

“Unnie, try it!” Sulli cried, stuffing a rice cake into her friend’s mouth.

“I’m still eating the yam!”

“I know! But this is nice too!”

Victoria chewed, her eyebrows furrowing together.

Amber looked at her. “Well? How is it?” she asked, as Victoria looked up.

“It’s…” she began, her eyes looking almost glassy, “It tastes like heaven.”

Sulli laughed. “Doesn’t it?” she asked excitedly, glancing at Sun Young, “Thank goodness we didn’t go anywhere else. This place is awesome, unnie.”

“I’m glad you think so,” came the reply.

Baekhyun nodded. “Chan and I went here, the night my wallet got stolen,” he said, his mouth full of rice cakes, “I was about to pay for the tteokbeokki when someone snatched my wallet!”

Oh dear. Is he going to start-

“That’s terrible!” Victoria said with a shudder, as Baekhyun turned to Sun Young.

“Did you tell them about that night we first met?”

Amber looked between them. “What night?” she asked suspiciously.

Hold up. “It wasn’t anything like that!” Sun Young cried, shoving her.

Baekhyun swallowed. “The first time I met her was the scariest night of my life,” he began dramatically, and even Kris and Luhan seemed to lean closer as he began to weave the story of how he had been chasing a pickpocket, only to have Sun Young and her friend intervene in the most badass way possible.

“…and he – his name is Zitao, I think, correct me if I’m wrong – he used the bamboo like he was a kungfu master, hawk HWAK!” Baekhyun continued, “It was the coolest thing I saw!”

Sun Young watched as they ordered some more rice cakes, feeling the bloom of happiness inside her chest as she followed them to the next stall, with Baekhyun still sharing his long-winding story. There was the feeling of affection for them, even though they were still getting used to their newfound friendship: she felt bound to the girls, and as they explored Myeongdeong together, their hands interlinked and their laughs mixing together, Sun Young felt like she was part of a sisterhood.

This reminds me of work, somewhat. I wonder what Sooyeon and Soojung are doing.

Sure, the Jungs were like that too, but they were still technically her employers, and though Sooyeon was always telling her to not be too formal, she couldn’t help being so. Work was work, no matter how fun, and she had to show respect to them.

But now, as the topic changed to how she would sneak to buy snacks after school instead of going home straight after, while biting into piping hot red bean buns and drinking iced coffee, she felt like she was a child once more, the one who had many friends and who entertained them in kindergarten, way before the accident happened.

This must be the reason why Eomma wanted me to be in this competition, she thought, as the other girls laughed at Kris for dropping his drink on his sneakers. To have friends, maybe have a shot at romance while at it.

To be like my old self again.

She let out a sigh of contentment, a small smile lingering on her lips as she thought this.

Eomma’s right.

I do kind of need this.

It would be a really sad thing to be eliminated early and not let myself continue the relationship I have with the girls.

I wonder how Chanyeol would feel if I told him I suddenly didn’t want to be eliminated?

He’d probably give me that look and throw a hissy fit.

She wondered how he was doing at the dinner date with Kyungri, whether it was going well or whether it was awkward and silent, or – given Kyungri’s beauty and charming disposition – going really well.

There had been a point in time, earlier, while she was in the powder room with the former, that she had been envious

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter