Wreaths, a Talent Show, and a Dark Knight

Awkward (HIATUS - until Mountain Rose finishes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

And so it begins: the cutthroat, no mercy, tantalizingly dangerous nature of the Games. People are eliminated two per round, and everyone’s starting to get anxious. 

It’s me. I’m people.

After all, anyone of us could be next, unless we manage to emerge winner of the day’s episode, or the owner of the most roses. But then again, if we don’t, really, who is to blame?

“So, hyung,” Chen said excitedly, “I heard that we have a mission for the girls today.”

Xiumin beamed. “Why, how did you know?” he asked, pretending to be surprised as he turned to the camera, “I see that the girls are currently working very hard to prepare a performance in their respective pairs.”

“Good eye, because yes, we do! We have a Show and Tell round, and it seems that everyone is busy creating their respective acts as we speak,” Chen replied, “Teams are also encouraged to work together and collaborate, if they wish. Each performance will be judged by Madame Bomi, PD Kim, and Director Park on creativity and teamwork.”

“Not only that, the girls get voting rights too!”

“Correct. Each person will be casting their vote: their favorite, and their least favorite,” Xiumin added, “All the votes will be collated to determine the winner, who will be joining Director Park on an outing to the amusement park this evening!”

“And the lowest performing candidate at the end of the day, where we will have the elimination round to determine which two candidates will go home tonight.”

“Till then, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!”

“This is ridiculous,” Sun Young said to Kris, “The kid is terrified of people and we have to do a performance?”

He sat opposite her, reviewing footage as he gave a helpless expression. “It’s PD Kim’s idea,” he said, looking over his shoulder at the flurry of activity around them, “I mean, everyone else is kind of receptive.”

“But not every kid likes being up in front of everyone else.”

She watched Gyeo Wool, who was beside her watching the hosts, picking at the hem of her dress with an anxious expression on her face.

She placed a hand over hers carefully, intertwining their fingers together. “Hey,” she said encouragingly, “Look at me.”

The little girl looked up from the corner of her eyes.

“I was thinking, you don’t have to do it. I could dance or sing.”

The reply was almost inaudible. “They said we have to do it together.”

“If it’s scary, you can’t force yourself to do it,” Kris said gently.

Gyeo Wool regarded her. “But you’ll lose.”

Sun Young’s lips stretched into a smile. “You don’t want me to lose?”

She met Kris’ eyes, and he grinned.

Okay. That was kind of cute. Even for me, who’s not a kid person.

She her hair. “I used to be scared of cars,” she said, “I didn’t like taking them, and it took me years before I did. You can’t force yourself to not be afraid anymore, and I understand if it’s too scary for you.”

The girl bowed her head, her voluminous hair obstructing her face.

“But,” Kris added, “If you do want to perform with the cats, everyone’s going to see what a brave girl you are. Now that is a victory Sun Young doesn’t want to take from you. You’re a natural with them, even I got that on camera, see?”

He turned the camera towards her, and she peered through the screen to watch the recording he had taken when they were downstairs in the garden. “See that? Look at the kitty go!”

Sun Young chuckled, making Kris look up at her with a conspiratorial quirk of his eyebrow while Gyeo Wool sat between them, oblivious.

We make a great team, she mouthed to him.

He gave a wink, just as the girl looked up.

“What do you think?” Kris asked her, “Do you wanna show them who’s the best of them all?”

She pressed her lips together, nodding once, before burrowing herself against her hands.

Sun Young laughed, wrapping her hands around the girl. “You are the cutest thing I ever saw,” she said, before raising a hand to high five her cameraman.

“Girls! We have twenty minutes to go!” Chen announced, “Hope everyone is doing well!”

Kris checked his watch. “Well, back to the garden we go!”

“And with that, the princess wakes the sleeping prince with a kiss, and saves the day!”

Chanyeol watched in amusement as the little boy got a kiss from Kyungri, before bashfully covering his face with his hands.

Bomi leaned towards him. “I see your partner is very happy being in her team,” she commented.

“Seems so.”

The woman stood up, clapping. “Amazing!” she said, “Bravo, well done, team, what a nice twist to the tale. Let’s have the next team up on stage!”

He watched the large group of children and girls go.

PD Kim peered through her glasses. “Next team, Park Sun Young and Gyeo Wool!”

Bomi hummed to herself. “No collaborations with the other pairs?”

“No,” came the response, “Just the two of them.”

“Interesting.”

Chanyeol frowned. “Why is that interesting?”

The magenta-haired woman turned to him. “Oh, because Gyeo Wool has a mortal fear of anything that involves her to be the center of attention,” she replied, “Park Sun Young, huh? Is she good?”

PD Kim glanced at him. “Well, she’s proven herself to be very adaptable so far. Don’t you think so?”

He realized the producer was staring at him. “I...I suppose.”

Bomi turned to him. “You don’t know your own candidates?”

He felt put on the spot. “I mean, there’s more to a person than how they perform in the competition.”

“Oh, for sure,” she said with an enigmatic smile, “I absolutely love the diamonds in the rough. They’re a dream to watch as they grow over the course of time.”

Out of the corner of his eyes, he spotted Sun Young coming onstage, wearing a cat mask over her face, and he turned to see her almost stumbling, surrounded by cats who wanted the treats in her hands.

She adjusted the mask over her face, grinning sheepishly as she spoke into her microphone. “Um, hello everyone, my name is Sun Young, and today, Gyeo Wool and I prepared something a little different,” she said, “Oh, and I almost forgot. This is Kris, my very talented cameraman, who’s going to be my assistant in today’s cat show.”

He watched as the little girl brought a pole onto the stage, followed by Kris, who was pushing a large box on wheels.

They bowed to the audience.

“And now we are going to see our resident toothless cat, Byul, walk on two legs.”

Bomi chuckled. “So that is what she was trying to teach the poor cat.”

They watched it stand on its two feet, hopping towards the girl for a treat.

Sun Young clapped, the smile evident in her voice as she continued, “Our next cat, San, will climb to the top and balance herself,” she said, “Not only that, she is going to jump right into the box!”

Kris held the pole, as Gyeo Wool reached into the box, pulling out a fluffy brown cat, which proceeded to claw its way to the top of the short pole.

The little girl reached into the box, taking two more cats, before holding it out to the box to the audience, showing the cushion already propped inside, before signalling to the cat with a treat in her hand.

It leapt off the pole, landing right in the box, and everyone clapped.

“Our last trick will be the human playground,” Sun Young said, “In which Kris will be covered with cats as he succumbs to the mountain - or should I say meowtain - of cats.”

Gyeo Wool dragged a chair onto the stage, placing it next to Kris, before climbing up on it to place a treat on his head.

The cats clamoring around Sun Young turned as she called them, before climbing onto him for the treat, as Kris tried to hold still.

They burst into laughter as the cats sat on his shoulders, while the little girl fed them all, before turning to the audience with a flourish.

“The end!”

Bomi clapped, as the room rang with the sound of applause. “Well done!” she cheered, getting up and heading towards the stage, teetering in her purple stilettos to take the microphone from Sun Young. “First of all, I would like to thank all you girls for really bringing your A game here, all your performances were really cute!”

She turned to Sun Young, who was busy catching the various cats as they cleared the stage. “This last team is a very special team, because not only was it one of the few teams that had no collaborations with other teams,” she said, “But it’s because this team has thought out of the box and have created a show with our little friends here!”

She bent down, scooping up one of the cats and gave a kiss on its tiny head. “But then again, most of you kids have asthma, which, unfortunately, I can’t help. But can we still give a round of applause again to everyone!”

While Kris volunteered to take the cats back downstairs, Sun Young and her charge hurried back towards the audience, taking their place.

Chen and Xiumin walked up onstage, while Bomi returned to the judges’ panel.

“While you girls take turns to cast your votes in the next room,” Xiumin announced, “The judges will discuss the winning performance based on the various candidates.”

Chen nodded. “The rest of you can debrief with your respective children and kids, don’t forget to tidy up the hall, you don’t want oppa to give you a time-out.”

“You can give me a time-out anytime!” Rana yelled to him, as the children erupted in giggles.

Bomi chuckled. “How exciting it is to be able to see the kids so lively,” she sighed, turning to PD Kim, “Your girls are blessing.”

“Glad you thought so. Director Park, your input on today’s performances.”

“Do we really have to pick a winner? Can’t they all receive roses?”

“We can’t have multiple winners. This isn’t a pity party.”

Bomi let out a laugh. “Oh, how cutthroat, I love that,” she said, looking through photographs of the various pairs. “Well, if I could just have an honorary mention, I want to pick out a few girls, particularly this one.”

PD Kim frowned. “Hyemi? She’s really quiet.”

He leaned forwards, peering at the picture. “Her sister was eliminated in the previous round.”

“Oh, what a pity. I picked her because she did a great job with Yeonjoon. That boy is one of the troublemakers, but I’m surprised that he didn’t even make a single peep throughout the whole morning,” she pointed out, “She didn’t even need to raise her voice.”

She also took a picture of Rana. “She was really easygoing with the kids. I like her personality. Very mischievous too,” she said, smiling, “And of course I want the last girl. Sun Young.”

Chanyeol tried to keep his face emotionless. “Why?”

The woman turned to him, incredulous. “Gyeo Wool has a very special place in my heart, and as much as we try to get her to partake in team activities, she is an incredibly stubborn one, and very protective of her cats. I’m surprised that Sun Young managed to get her on that stage in the first place,” she said, impressed, “Which is a surprise, because they are polar opposites in terms of personality. Or are they?”

PD Kim clucked her tongue. “She’s the energy pill of the group, and she displays a lot of empathy, doesn’t she, Director Park?”

“Sure.”

“Now, if I may be so bold,” the producer continued, “Based on your gradings and review on the girls’ performances today, you’ve already gotten your least favorites.”

Bomi ran a hand through her hair. “I could name them in a heartbeat. Right here, in this room too. Out loud.”

Chanyeol gave a wary glance in the direction of the other girls. Sure, they were at the other side of the hall, but the way the woman was speaking, it seemed that she wasn’t the least bit afraid of dashing anyone’s hopes.

His eyes fell on Sun Young and Kris, who were speaking to the little girl animatedly.

Probably telling her what a good job she is doing, his mind supplied.

One of the hosts went over to her, and she blinked at him, before nodding and heading out of the room, most likely to cast her vote.

“In that case, I think we’ve made our decision.”

Bomi clapped her hands together excitedly. “You must be a lucky man, being surrounded by girls all day.”

He gave a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes. “It’s been fun. Except for the elimination round, of course.”

“Can’t wait to see how the votes turn out,” she said with a conspiratorial wink, “I mean, I won’t see the episode until next two weeks, since only the first episode is out, but I hope you find what you’re looking for.”

He looked down at the pictures of the contestants. “I hope so too.”

The ride home was quiet.

Sun Young smiled to herself as she scrolled through pictures of her phone, her back leaning against the window as she sat with both feet on the seat beside her.

Across the aisle, Amber was asleep, leaning against Victoria.

Her phone rang, and she chuckled to herself as she read who it was from, before picking it up. “Hi, Miss Jung!”

“We’ve gone through this many times.”

“And always will,” she said, grinning, “How have you been? I haven’t heard from you.”

“Business as usual, sweet pea.”

“How is Mr Son?”

There was a pause. “We can talk on that another time,” she said, with a polite little cough, “Is there something you want to tell me, my little buttercup?”

Sun Young frowned. “Not really. Why?”

“Well, Mrs Hwang invited me over to her restaurant after closing,” her manager’s lilting voice explained, “And all because she wanted to catch the episode of your reality show-”

“I thought she said she didn’t like watching pretentious reality shows?” Sun Young said with a chuckle, absentmindedly playing with her hair.

“Well, I said the same thing, but, oh, the way she begged me to come over...I am in the presence of a hypocrite of the worst kind,” she said conspiratorially. “Anyhoo, I just thought I’d let you know my thoughts on watching the first episode.”

She laughed indulgently. “And what’s that?”

“It was a rollercoaster. In one episode alone, I see you making friends, crying, fighting with some chaebols, and-” a gasp cut her off. “Omo!”

“Miss Jung?”

“He just asked you to open the first dance with him!” she breathed, “He’s dancing with you! Oh, how beautiful the two of you look!”

Sun Young burst out laughing. “It’s just good editing, Miss Jung.”

“You two deserve to be with each other, omo, the height difference is so cute.”

She shut her eyes. “And just because of that one episode, you think it’s meant to be?” she asked, smiling to herself, “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter