Apple Trees, Team Spirit, And An Unexpected Duel

Awkward (HIATUS - until Mountain Rose finishes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There must be a good reason for everything that happens.

Even if it involves a person out for your blood, a person who you didn’t expect to be worried about you, and a group of girls who have you back.

Whatever happens, I am still me.

Whatever happens, I can handle it.

Whatever happens, if it comes down to it, I will fight for myself.

I’m all I’ve got after all.

“Here at the Royal Pavilion, work is just as important as play, and whether you’re a new recruit, or a senior head of department, nothing goes by in the hotel without a little fun,” Chen said towards the camera, pushing away the stray hair that was falling over his face every time a gust of wind blew past.

Xiumin nodded enthusiastically. “That’s right! All staff are encouraged to have a positive attitude whenever they come to work, but what is special about the Royal Pavilion is that it aims to give its members a reason to be positive, thereby encouraging and injecting the sincerity behind its stellar customer service.”

“Staff are highly encouraged to take part in bonding events, company dinners and overseas trips, but the highlight of its events, or the pinnacle of it as we like to say, is…” Chen paused, sharing a glance at his co-host as they both looked to the camera.

“…the annual Pavilion Games!”

Xiumin chuckled. “Maybe you can let our viewers know what the Pavilion Games is,” he suggested.

Chen grinned. “Gladly!” he exclaimed, “Ladies and gentlemen, the Pavilion Games, the highly prized and heavily-anticipated annual physical event, brings forward all the departments and aims to instil in them pride and strength, so as to unite staff together and also, as a whole, bring the whole hotel together in a show of fun and frendly rivalry.”

“Exactly, and what better way to bring them together than have team telematches?” Xiumin mused, “From team missions, to relay races, every staff will have the opportunity to represent their departments in the many games available. The team with the most points will be awarded the golden Pavilion Cup, a trophy bestowed by Director Park with the best-performing department every year.”

“Today, we are gathered at the Royal Pavilion’s Lawn, a lush green spot just a stone’s throw from the Gardens, where guests can have picnics under the shady trees, or have activities in the open space provided,” Chen explained, “It will also be the main base for the telematch, where we will be watching the girls compete in a similar fashion, participating in the same games as the annual Pavilion Games, vying for an exclusive dinner with the Director tonight, at the Royal Pavilion’s rooftop restaurant, Le Chaton Blanc!”

“Results will be an accumulation of the best Trainee-of-the-Day, their performance in today’s telematch, as well as by the judges’ appraisals.”

“We wish them all the best of luck!”

Because they were the first team to arrive at the Lawn, Sun Young was at ease as she conversed with Kyungri and Amber, with Ju Hyun occasionally joining if she wasn’t so intent with fanning herself from time to time.

Which was strange, because it was relatively windy and the heat was not as intense as it was earlier during the day. In fact, it felt almost idyllic.

It was almost five in the evening as they milled about the Lawn, waiting for the rest of the girls to show up, and in that time, they had helped themselves to the food on the picnic mats, being careful not to stuff themselves with too much scones as they prepared for the mysterious telematches ahead.

Sun Young was reunited with Sulli and Victoria, and together with Amber, they lingered near the back of the group as they chatted.

Later, once everyone was present and in their sportswear and PD Kim had taken attendance at least three times, Director Park had appeared, ditching his signature suits for something far more casual: sweatpants, grey running shoes, and a long-sleeved hoodie over his shirt.

Sulli let out a sigh. “He looks so boyfriend material,” she mused dreamily, as they watched him.

Sun Young raised an eyebrow as she watched him head towards PD Kim and her staff, with Secretary Choi by his side as they spoke to each other.

I’m not sure what to think; he looks different, that’s for sure.

But boyfriend material?

Come on, I can name a lot of other guys in casual clothes that look far more boyfriend material than this.

Like, for example, Baekhyun, she thought, noticing the director’s friend on his left, who was currently waving enthusiastically to the girls and making them swoon at the sight of him in a form fitting shirt and sports leggings. He didn’t seem to notice the effect he had on them as he ran over, asking after their day and running his hand through his mahogany waves as he exuded his charm.

Maybe not my boyfriend material, but close enough.

Victoria rolled her eyes when she heard Sunny comment about Baekhyun having a ‘cute ’, giving Sun Young a look. “Does she want him to hear or…?”

Amber glanced over at the chaebol before turning back to them. “Most probably, but I doubt he’s going to acknowledge.”

Sulli nodded. “Oh, man, you should have heard her just now,” she murmured, making Victoria nod vigorously.

Amber and Sun Young leaned close. “What?”

“She got into trouble with a customer and the security was called because she was making a big fuss.”

“Ooooh.”

“Tell me about it, so annoying,” Victoria muttered, flipping her hair, “Because of that, our appraisal got cut short and the customer had to be consoled because they thought Sunny was going to get physical.”

“That’s terrible!” Sun Young gasped, “What did she do?”

“She gave them the wrong food, but she won’t admit it. Even one of the Chefs told her to apologize to the guest for that, but she went and scolded them instead.”

Amber tsked. “Why am I not surprised.”

“Ahem.”

The four of them turned around at the male voice, seeing Baekhyun just behind.

He was looking at them with a teasing look in his eyes as he pretended to creep close. “Gossiping about the other contestants, hmm?” he whispered dramatically, “I wonder if Chan would like to hear that.”

Sulli’s eyes turned wide and she gasped, her hands flying to cover .

Sun Young grinned, rushing to his side and throwing her arm around his shoulder in a one-arm hug. “We’re not gossiping!” she protested, “We’re sharing our experiences at our different departments…so as to learn from each other’s mistakes…and avoid them in the future!”

Sulli nodded vigorously. “Exactly!”

Baekhyun returned the gesture, slinging his own arm around her shoulder. He smiled wryly as he regarded them. “Oh, sure you did.”

Victoria narrowed her eyes. “Are you going around and secretly grading everyone or what?” she asked suspiciously.

“Well,” he said enigmatically, “I am one of the judges after all.”

Sulli’s eyes were still wide. “Will you downgrade us?”

Baekhyun’s lips curled mischievously. “Should I?” he hummed to himself, “Or should I not?”

Sun Young rolled her eyes and reached up, ruffling his hair and making him yelp in surprise. “That’s not going to work on us, Baek. I suggest you bring your reverse psychology methods somewhere else,” she told him, making him laugh.

“Oh, man, like I would ever disqualify you,” he said, grinning, “You’re too fun to be eliminated so early, Sun Young. Catch you later, girls, I see my best friend eyeballing me.”

Although it was meant to be a compliment, Sun Young couldn’t help but feel a pang of something in her chest as Baekhyun gave them a little wave before he jogged to Chanyeol. As she turned to her friends, seeing Victoria and Sulli already going to the picnic mat for another round of fruit punch, she was not surprised to meet Amber’s already comprehending gaze, as though knowing that Baekhyun’s words about elimination was only applying to her, not so much them.

He makes it sound like my friends don’t have a chance.

Even if they aren’t here to win, at least consider them too.

Sun Young wanted to say something, but Amber merely shrugged. “It’s okay, bruh,” came her reply, “I’m only here for the food and the free stay.”

She sighed, looking past her shoulder to look at Baekhyun and seeing Chanyeol watching her instead.

Or maybe he was simply looking her way and not exactly at her. He was frowning, nodding at something Baekhyun was saying, and Sun Young half-wondered if Baekhyun was telling him what he had caught her and her friends saying.

Who cares anyway, she thought to herself, tearing her gaze from him. He can’t do anything to me.

“Oh, hey, chef!” Amber’s voice jerked her out of her thoughts, and Sun Young turned to see a group of staff walking over.

Kyungsoo raised a hand in greeting, extricating himself from the group and walking towards them. Dressed in the Royal Pavilion polo shirts, distinctive in its deep sangria color, he looked different from the focused chef he was in the kitchens, and gave a wide smile as he walked to a stop in front of them.

Sun Young grinned back, unable to resist throwing her arms around him in a side hug. “Look at you,” she cooed, “Purple is so your color, you look like a ripe grape ready for plucking.”

He sighed in resignation. “Your compliments are so out of this world,” he drawled, “Thank you for the beautiful analogy.”

“What?” she cried, “Grapes are my favorite!”

He ignored her. “Where’s Sulli?”

Amber pointed in the direction of the picnic mat. “Where the food is.”

Sun Young tilted her head as she regarded him. “Why Sulli, all of a sudden? Do you like her or something?” she demanded, “Don’t you go hit on my girl!”

Kyungsoo brushed her off. “I’m not hitting on anyone,” he said with a roll of his eyes, “She did very well earlier, the other chefs were quite positive with their comments on her performance, and are nominating her as best trainee for the F&B department.”

“Are you serious?” she gaped, “That’s awesome!”

He nodded. “Victoria’s up for second place. But don’t tell anyone I told you,” he said, “I’ll go submit the report, good luck later.”

“I don’t need luck,” Sun Young said with a flip of her hair, giving him an exaggerated wink, “I only need you.”

Kyungsoo made a face and shook his head to himself as he left them, muttering something along the lines of ‘why am I even your friend’ to himself.

Sun Young grinned. “Because you love me,” she called, making him cringe even more.

“Ladies, if I may have your attention, please?” Xiumin’s voice rang through the speakers around them, “The games are about to begin, so can I please have you in your assigned departments from earlier? That way we’ll be able to begin on a more organized note!”

Amber glanced at her, a smirk already on her face. “Are you ready?”

“Pfft. What kind of question is that, I’m always ready.”

The Game Master in charge of the first station was the ever-smiling Mr. Yoon Doo Joon, the Royal Pavilion’s friendly Head of Housekeeping, who started off as an assistant who helped carry beds while the housekeepers changed the sheets, before becoming an experienced housekeeper himself, working year after year and becoming the Head years after.

Sun Young had never met him, but from what her mother told her of the middle-aged gentleman, the Housekeeping department rarely had turnovers due to the way he cared for each and every staff under his guidance. His good looks and charm never failed to set every ahjumma housekeeper’s heart fluttering, her mother used to say.

Mr. Yoon gestured to the part of the Lawn behind him, which had been separated by lanes for each team. “The Two-Legged-Race is a game staple in the Pavilion Games, starting us off at the right foot, pun intended,” he said with a wink, making the other department mentors shake their heads in amusement.

Even, Sun Young noted, Chanyeol himself.

“Nothing is finer than having a few laughs – and falls – as we start the race, so I hope that you all put in your best effort!” he exclaimed, “Since we have only five people a team, here’s how we will do the race. Each contestant will have to be tied to their mentor’s legs such that only two legs can go at a time. You can stand in front of or behind your mentor and tie your legs and walk forwards, or you can face each other and walk crab-style, anything goes and you get points for creativity!”

As if this can’t get any worse.

Two-legged? Really?

“Then,” he went on, “Just head over to that far end over there, and head back here, and pass your mentor to the next contestant.”

Sun Young raised her hand. “So our mentor has to go five times?”

Where’s Yoora? She probably won’t like this.

“Yes, that’s right,” he answered, “Fortunately for my team, the Housekeeping Department has been winning the Two-Legged-Race for as long as I can remember, so the other teams would have to do a better job keeping up.”

“WHOOOO!” Hyoyeon suddenly cheered, “LET’S WIN THIS!”

“Such enthusiasm, keep it up!” Mr. Yoon said happily, “Now, I have an announcement to make regarding the mentors assigned to each team. The Concierge team is short of a mentor, as Miss Park had to leave for an urgent matter at work.”

She did? Sun Young thought, glancing at the judges’ table, where Baekhyun was laughing next to Chanyeol, who was clearly shaking his head.

Maybe she decided to avoid the games.

Sneaky girl.

“With that being said, don’t worry, because your mentor for the games will be Director Park himself!” Mr. Yoon announced.

Sun Young choked, as Kyungri and Hyuna squealed.

Is he for real?!

OUR MENTOR IS HIM?!

Ju Hyun’s face, although twisted into a scowl at the prospect of getting sweaty earlier, was now lit up with surprised delight.

She glanced at Sun Young, looking almost gleeful as she clapped.

Even Amber seemed to be glad at the turn of events. “It seems like the universe is trying to ship you both,” she commented, earning her a jab from Sun Young.

“Don’t you dare!”

Mr. Yoon chuckled. “I’ll leave him to be acquainted with you girls,” he said, as Chanyeol appeared at the front of their team.

“Let’s see,” he said, not looking up from his clipboard, “Miss Amber Liu, Miss Park Kyungri, Miss Park Sun Young, and Miss Seo Ju Hyun.”

There was a moment of silence after that as his lips pressed together, and he looked up.

“We’re going to either win this,” he said, “Or not.”

Sun Young scowled at him. “That doesn’t sound too hopeful.”

“I’m merely stating the outcome,” he said, staring back impassively as if to say he wasn’t liking this either, “But I have hope, don’t you worry, Miss Park.”

She rolled her eyes.

“I’ll pass the mic back to our hosts now, good luck everyone!” Mr. Yoon cheered, hurrying over to his group.

“Thank you, Mr. Yoon! Now, the contestant with the most amount of points will have the chance to dine at Le Chaton Blanc tonight, so girls, do your best! We’ll begin in three minutes, so please discuss on how you will be playing the Two-Legged Race!”

Chanyeol scanned everyone in his team. “How are you going to strategize the best way to win this game?”

“You’ve done this before, right?” Kyungri asked, “What are some tips?”

Chanyeol looked at her. “I…haven’t done this before,” he admitted, “I’ve only ever been the judge.”

They stared at him.

“What? The judge can’t play.”

Sun Young scoffed. “And here you are already undermining the team.”

He fixed his gaze on her. “I was not.”

Amber coughed. “Well, what’s the difference, we all have never done this before,” she murmured, “So, what are we gonna do?”

Hyuna bit her lip. “I think Mr. Yoon’s suggestion is a good one. We could try all the different styles, and if one is doing better than the other, we’ll stick to that,” she said.

Chanyeol nodded. “Okay. Great. Who’s going first?”

The girls regarded each other awkwardly. Kyungri was holding her flustered giggles in, Hyuna was looking around wide-eyed, and Ju Hyun was smiling to herself.

They’re probably imagining what it’s like standing so close to him.

“I’ll do it,” Amber announced, when no one attempted to volunteer.

“Ladies, please head to the front to collect your ropes!” Chen’s voice called, “Well, they’re not actual ropes, though. They’re actually pillowcases, but oh well.”

Hyuna raised her hand. “I’ll get it,” she said, jogging to the front.

Kyungri turned to Sun Young. “Do you want to go next?”

Chanyeol turned to her as well. “I think she should go last,” he said, before Sun Young could reply, “I have a feeling she might fall and bring me down with her.”

The girl in question looked ready to retort, but she sighed. “For once in my life, I agree with Mr. Park,” she said to Kyungri, “I’ll go last, because I probably might fall like he says.”

She gave Chanyeol a look, only to see the smirk on his face as he turned away.

How impertinent.

“I’ve got the pillowcases!” Hyuna cried, running over and kneeling, “Okay, so how are you going to stand?”

“Wait a minute, we’ve only got one set?” Chanyeol asked.

“Apparently we have to untie it, pass it to the next person and tie it every time the pair changes.”

Ju Hyun gasped. “Won’t tying again and again take a lot of time?”

“You have to be really fast and efficient then.”

“OOHHHHH!” Kyungri suddenly said, “That’s why the Housekeeping department’s won a lot of times!”

Chanyeol’s eyes lit up. “Because…they’re used to working quickly,” he replied, looking at her, “Why didn’t I see it before?”

Kyungri grinned, raising her hand. “Nice one!” she cried, as Chanyeol readily high-fived her.

Sun Young rolled her eyes, noticing how Ju Hyun’s expression had significantly turned grim.

Is she jealous or something? Gosh.

“Is everyone ready?” Chen asked, to loud squeals of No, we’re not!

Xiumin laughed.

“Hurry, hurry!” Kyungri cried, helping Hyuna with the pillowcases as they kneeled to the ground, tying the two pairs of feet together while Amber held onto Sun Young’s arm for support.

“You know what this reminds me of?” Amber commented, “Penguins. You know how they walk with the egg underneath their stomach fat?”

“You’re saying you’re an egg?” Chanyeol asked.

Sun Young gave him a fleeting glance.

I was about to say that, she thought with a little huff.

“I’m just saying that it reminds me of that, is all,” Amber said with a shrug, “But, since I’m kind of short, and you’re kind of tall, it does make me an egg.”

“Done!” Kyungri said, standing up, “Try and walk a bit.”

They tried to shift, looking stiff.

“You can do this,” Sun Young told her, “Just hold onto each other and don’t fall.”

Amber chuckled. “Hey, Mr. Park?”

“Yes?”

“Did the PD decided to do this game because of the excessive touching or do you really do this for the annual staff games?”

“Probably both.”

“For the record, let’s just do our best instead of being awkward, shall we, Mr. Park?”

“Of course.”

Hyuna looked worriedly at them. “Is it too tight?”

Amber moved a step, with Chanyeol mirroring her from behind. “Nope.”

“If your team is ready, please stand right behind the starting line!” Chen’s voice echoed in the megaphone.

Chanyeol let out a groan. “Let’s do this without falling, Amber.”

“You betcha.”

They linked hands as they walked – albeit still a little stiffly – to the white start line.

“The Concierge, F&B and Housekeeping teams are ready, waiting for the Front Desk team!” Xiumin announced, “The rest of the contestants, I will need you to cheer as loudly as you can when the whistle blows!”

Sun Young patted her friend. “Best of luck,” she said, and though her words were mainly directed at Amber, she noticed how Chanyeol gave her a quick glance.

Kyungri clapped her hands together. “Fighting!”

“All four teams are ready at the start line!”

“In three…”

“Two…”

“One…”

A shrill whistle pierced the air, and the competing contestants were off to the loud cheers of the spectators.

Sun Young cupped her hands around . “GO AMBER!” she yelled, as both Amber and Chanyeol led the round, walking towards the other end as fast as they could.

To their right, Sulli and Kyungsoo tumbled to the ground, prompting loud “ooooh”s from their team as they tried to get back up.

Sun Young laughed despite herself, seeing her best friend try to get up and falling to the ground again.

“You’re such a klutz, Do Kyungsoo!”

He looked around, trying to find the source of her voice. “Don’t expose me!” he yelled back, as he tripped backwards again.

Sun Young couldn’t help but laugh as he let out a frustrated huff. Watching them get back to their feet, she turned back to Amber and Chanyeol, who were neck-to-neck with the Housekeeping team as they hurried back.

As soon as they passed the white line, Kyungri and Hyuna rushed over to untie the pillowcases from the duo’s feet, before Sun Young swapped places with Hyuna so that the latter could stand with Chanyeol.

“Let’s go, let’s go!” Kyungri cried, as they went off, just slightly after the Housekeeping team, “We’re second place, so close! HYUNA HYUNA HYUNA HYUNA!”

Ju Hyun cupped her hands around . “Go Chanyeol!” she called, her voice drowned out by the enthusiastic shouts of her team members.

Kyungri gave a sheepish look. “I didn’t even cheer for him,” she said, embarrassed, “GO HYUNA! GO CHANYEOL! GO HYUNA! GO CHANYEOL!”

Amber and Sun Young stood next to her and clapped in rhythm. “HYUNA!”

“CHANYEOL!”

“HYUNA HYUNA CHANYEOL!”

“CHANYEOL CHANYEOL HYUNA!”

They burst into guffaws.

“We sound like those overhyped camp leaders in high school,” Amber said, as Kyungri and Sun Young laughed.

“The Concierge team gets five points for their enthusiasm, keep it up!”

They paused and turned to each other.

“We can get points for cheering?” Kyungri asked.

Sun Young shrugged. “I guess so.”

Amber looked between them. “What are we waiting for?”

They turned back to Hyuna and Chanyeol.

“GO HYUNA!”

“GO CHANYEOL!”

“GO HYUNA!”

“GO CHANYEOL!”

Amber pointed. “Here they come, Kyungri, you’re next.”

“But Ju Hyun-”

“It’s okay,” the heiress said, fanning herself, “I’ll go before Sun Young.”

Chanyeol was huffing and puffing as Sun Young and Amber rushed to untie the pillowcases at the duo’s feet.

“How long more?” he panted.

“You’re only on your third lap, Mr. Park,” Sun Young deadpanned.

“Don’t start,” he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter