Sekai

15 Days to New Year

SeKai

 

Crush AU

 

Prompt: Shy Jongin secretly crushing on cold and rich Sehun, yet maintaining his distance so as not to embarrass himself. But in fact Jongin is liked back by his crush much more than he can imagine. (cr. whimsical)

 

 

There must be something wrong with Jongin’s mind if he thinks that staring longingly at Sehun’s back will get him Sehun’s attention. After all, only a true hopeless would think that this is the perfect opportunity to stare at his crush without suspicions. Jongin has memorized the younger’s schedule by now. At around 10:45 every morning, Sehun would go outside and enjoy the fresh air, so Jongin would conveniently mark 10:45-11:00 as busy in his schedule. He’d stare at Sehun during that time, wondering why the younger loves the fresh air so much. Then, at about 12pm, Sehun eats his lunch in the Steak House. Jongin would make sure to arrive early in Taco Bell, the building across Steak House. He sits in the hidden corner, enjoying how his food is always better with Sehun’s complexion in his view.

 

Finally, when it’s time to go home for the engineers, Jongin looks out to the window and stares at Sehun’s retreating form. He wishes he could go home at 5 too, but he’s in the sales department, which means he’s required to stay until 6. So he mopes at the thought of not seeing Sehun until the next day.

 

Jongin used to be much braver. After all, he used to be the one confessing and getting rejected most of the time. However, as he grew up, he’s more shy, and that he thinks it’s time for someone else to confess to him for once. Unfortunately, he doesn’t get any confessions, but he’s okay with it, since Sehun is his only love.

 

The younger intrigues Jongin with his cold personality towards colleagues, but the warm smiles he sends to his friends. He seems to have a big heart too, towards puppies and cute plushies, but Jongin never see that smile to last long. It’s always brief and Jongin treasures each smiling moment into his memory.

 

Despite the constant teasings he gets from his friends regarding Sehun, Jongin is forever grateful to have Yixing as his best friend. They’re both naturally quiet people, but Yixing is more emphatic to Jongin than any of his other friends.

 

“He really does a nice ,” Yixing notes once he sits on Jongin’s table.

 

Jongin sighs in agreement before forcing himself to look away from the window.

 

“Did you need something?”

 

“Nah, just really bored,” Yixing tells him as he plays with Jongin’s bobble head toy.

 

“Ah,” Jongin understands. It’s the last hour before they can leave so most people pretend to be useful. Unlike their fellow colleague Kyungsoo, who seems to be glaring at the worksheet in front of him.

 

“I was thinking of gaming tonight with Baekhyun. He just bought Overwatch and he claims it’s the best game out there,” Yixing tells him. “You want to come?”

 

“Sure, it’s been a while.”

 

“Cool, Kyungsoo’s bringing the food so it’s going to be awesome.”

 

“Huh?” Kyungsoo looks up in confusion.

 

“Bring the food,” Yixing reminds him. Kyungsoo nods in confirmation before going back to his work.

 

That night of gaming is exactly what Jongin needs as he manages to beat Baekhyun a few times, and even help Yixing tease Baekhyun whenever Baekhyun’s pretty noona calls.

 

“I hate all of you!” Baekhyun screeches before slamming the patio door so he can speak to his beloved.

 

Yixing snickers into his hand before walking to the fridge to get a beer. The doorbell rings at that moment and Jongin is forced to open the door.

 

Kyungsoo looks unhappy as he greets Jongin, but he pushes through to get inside, so the food won’t get ruined.

 

“My idiot boyfriend forgot that I have plans with you guys, so he invited his stupid friend over. Well, him and his needs. I told him to cook for himself, and he got upset over it,” Kyungsoo explains to Jongin with an exasperated tone.

 

“Why was he sad about that?” Jongin asks, confused.

 

“Because Kyungsoo probably looked scary and it made his boyfriend into a crying baby,” Yixing clarifies.

 

“In my defense, he cries over the littlest things,” Kyungsoo tries to sound less mean.

 

“Right,” Jongin notes.

 

“Anyway, I hope you don’t mind, but I felt bad for yelling at him, so he’s coming here with his friend instead.”

 

“Ah, sure.”

 

No one really minds more guests since Yixing’s bachelor’s pad is huge enough for a small party. That is, until Jongin finds out that Kyungsoo’s boyfriend’s friend is none other than Sehun himself.

 

He doesn’t expect to face Sehun when he open the door. He thought it’d be Chanyeol, Kyungsoo’s boyfriend, but he’s nowhere to be seen. So Jongin mistakenly slams the door into Sehun’s face before running off to hide in the bedroom.

 

He thinks that only a minute passes by before Yixing enters the room, looking worried for his best friend.

 

“Why is he here?” Jongin whispers loudly at Yixing. “He shouldn’t be here. It’s my Sehun free night.”

 

“Calm down,” Yixing tells him. “Sehun will probably leave once he sees that we’re all playing games.”

 

“But what if he doesn’t leave, and he stays for the night? And then, what if he asks to sleepover and you let him, and I end up sleeping next to him because we’re all squished in this tiny bed?” Jongin hyperventilates.

 

Yixing has to shake him by the shoulders before the younger can relax.

 

“If he does sleepover, I’ll make sure you sleep on the couch instead, and I’ll cuddle his plump ,” Yixing taunts.

 

“That’s not funny,” Jongin glares.

 

“Neither was your meltdown. Now, can we please get back out there before your crush thinks we’re making out here or something?”

 

Jongin blanches before he zooms out of the room quickly, ignoring the surprised stares of the guests once he’s out. He calmly walks to the tv room and seeks refuge in front of the tv, watching Baekhyun butchers his next attempt on killing a boss.

 

As the night progresses, Jongin finds out that Sehun doesn’t mind watching people play games. In fact, the younger laughs along when Baekhyun dies again, and he’s great at taunting people.

 

Jongin is shamelessly staring at the younger’s expressions, wishing that he could make Sehun laugh also. Only Yixing is sighing forlornly as he’s used to Jongin’s unrequited love.

 

When the time gets closer to 9, another guest arrives and this time it’s Luhan, bringing some yummy chicken to brighten Jongin’s sad day. Luhan has always been Jongin’s favorite hyung, even though Yixing has claimed his first.

 

Luckily, Yixing never seem to mind whenever Jongin cuddles to Luhan’s affections or when the younger pouts to have more hugs. He already knows that Jongin is overly affectionate when he’s sad.

 

“Look at him. Why is he so perfect?” Jongin whispers sadly to Luhan’s ear. “He was telling Chanyeol that he’s going to get an Audi for his next car. He’s so damn rich and pretty.”

 

“I know,” Luhan sighs along with Jongin. Luhan is great at being dramatic with Jongin. “Why don’t we go to the kitchen and see if Kyungsoo has anymore cake left?”

 

“Okay,” the younger pouts and follows Luhan.

 

Unbeknownst to the both of them, Sehun looks on as he tries to withhold the jealousy in his heart. He’s mad at Chanyeol for lying to him, when the elder said that Jongin isn’t seeing anyone, and he’s also mad at himself for not taking previous opportunities to ask Jongin out. It seems it’s too late now as he watches Luhan feeds a piece of cake into Jongin’s mouth.

 

“Yo! You’re not listening,” Chanyeol complains as he pouts.

 

Sehun sighs before telling Chanyeol to ask his boyfriend’s opinion instead.

 

“Why are you so gloomy anyway? You’re the one who wanted to come and see your little boyfriend,” Chanyeol teases.

 

Sehun takes pleasure on the pained howl that Chanyeol emits when he kicks him.

 

“Soo~ he kicked me!” Chanyeol complains to his boyfriend, but Kyungsoo chooses to not care. He feels extremely unloved tonight.

 

Sehun exhales loudly in frustration, wishing that tonight was better.

 

He thinks that maybe he’s just overreacting about this, especially since Yixing tends to be overly affectionate towards Jongin too. It seems normal that people dote on Jongin, as if he’s a prized possession. Sehun would have done the same thing, if fate allowed him to date the elder. He’s wishing that it’s true, and he doesn’t expect to feel so crushed when that Luhan guy kisses Jongin’s cheek before walking away.

 

He almost snaps the plastic spoon in his hand, before forcing himself to calm down as he walks off to the bathroom. By the time he exits it, he’s relaxed enough to whistle a familiar tune before noticing Luhan and Yixing in Yixing’s bedroom.

 

Whoa, are they kissing?! -- Sehun’s mind internally explodes before anger replaces his shock.

 

Not only is he upset that Luhan is cheating Jongin, but he also can’t believe that Yixing would do this to his own best friend. He doesn’t realize he’s stomping to them, until they both hear his growl and pulls apart.

 

“Sehun?” Yixing asks confusedly.

 

“What the hell is wrong with you two?!” Sehun practically spits out, resisting the urge to yell. He doesn’t want Jongin to find out about the lies. “Can’t you see how much Jongin  likes you? Is it that hard to reject him before you go kissing some other guy?”

 

Yixing raises an eyebrow at Sehun’s anger, while Luhan gapes openly at the younger, as if he’s shocked Sehun would say these things.

 

“What?!” Sehun growls again since neither are saying anything.

 

“Well, first, Jongin doesn’t like Luhan, because not only is Luhan my boyfriend, he’s also Sehun’s cousin,” Yixing explains as if it’s that obvious.

 

“Yep,” Luhan confirms with a shrug. “I do find it’s cute that you care so much about him. You should tell him how you feel.”

 

Sehun stammers as he tries to explain on why he was so protective of Jongin.

 

“It’s fine. You don’t have to explain,” Yixing taunts with a smirk. “However, Jongin does love your cool side. Maybe show him your new Audi and take him for a ride.”

 

“Don’t forget to pick the leather seats,” Luhan helpfully comments.

 

It’s embarrassing enough to have strangers help him with his love problem, but Sehun thinks he has more courage now, since he knows what Jongin would like.

 

He thinks Jongin will wait too long since he won’t buy the Audi until next year. Instead, he borrows a friend’s motorcycle for the week, and rides to work with it.

 

He doesn’t have flowers in his hands, or even a teasing smile when he greets Jongin after work. He’s too nervous to be charming, so he can only play with his gloves before he sees Jongin exiting the building.

 

The moment their eyes meet, Jongin looks away, too shy to reciprocate the stare. Sehun thinks it’s the most adorable thing ever, and it gives him the courage to walk up to him with the extra helmet in his hands.

 

“Jongin,” Sehun says too softly, almost like a whisper.

 

The younger stares at Jongin’s blushing cheeks before he hears Jongin’s stammering reply.

 

“I was wondering if you’re hungry, and then maybe we could…”

 

“Ask Kyungsoo to cook for us?” Jongin finishes his question, already expecting the worse. “Sure, I’ll text Kyungsoo and tell him.”

 

“No!” Sehun says a little frustrated. “I meant have dinner with me, alone.”

 

“Oh,” Jongin feels his body getting too warm from the attention. “Okay.”

 

“Great,” Sehun beams and lets out the breath he was holding before remembering the helmet in his hand. “Let me put this on you. Safety first.”

 

Sehun doesn’t realize it yet, but he’d always want to bundle Jongin up. Whether it’s a hat, scarf or helmet, Jongin smiles brilliantly whenever Sehun insists on putting it on him. In the end, it became their thing.

 

Another one of their thing is Sehun walking ahead so Jongin can still stare at his back. It’s a small request, but Jongin loves knowing that Sehun will always wait for him.

 

It still feel unreal to both of them, especially for Jongin, who still believes that Sehun can have anyone. It shouldn’t matter, not when they’re completely in love.