Chenlay

15 Days to New Year

Xingdae/Chenlay

Doctor AU

Prompt: Link 

 

 

There's a reason why Jongdae would never date a man who works in dangerous environment. Whether it's merely a security guard in a bank, or even the lame cross guard on the street, he always denied the opportunity of forming a relationship. It's not that he's against people who work in those areas. He's just cautious, because he lost his loved ones from dangerous situations.

 

He was ten when his father died on duty, and he was barely eighteen when his mom was the unfortunate victim of a bank robbery. So, he doesn't want to go through that feeling anymore, where his heart is completely heartbroken and the pieces are far apart.

 

Therefore, the first time he met Yixing, the decorated detective, he was ready to reject the elder from any proposition. Of course, he didn't expect Yixing to charm his way into Jongdae's daily lives, from the surprise visits to his hospital, to the random questions Yixing would have about the human body.

 

“I've never realized that a baby would have 60 more bones than adult. That is so cool,” Yixing notes as he reads from the Amazing Facts Of Human Body.

 

“Hmm,” Jongdae hums offhandedly without glancing at Yixing.

 

“But you know what else I've realized, that your bone structure is amazing. It's like your bone structure would give my bone some structure,” Yixing tells him with a wide grin. His dimple is peeking out, and the nurses who were eavesdropping, seem to giggle uncharacteristically.

 

Then, there's also Jongin, who's watching the scene in spite. He'll never understand why this overrated detective is suddenly everyone's favorite.

 

Jongdae fixes the elder a hard stare.

 

“Look, I've told you before. I'll never say yes. Why don't you keep whatever dignity you have left and ask some easy girl to sleep with you?”

 

“Nah, they're not my type,” Yixing reminds him. “I prefer doctors who have gentle hands and give firm punishments when their patients doesn't listen.”

 

The younger replies with an unimpressed stare, though he's starting to feel annoyed by Yixing’s constant attention.

 

“And yet, I would rather perform renal exams than waste my time with you.”

 

“And here I thought you couldn't get any more kinkier.”

 

Jongdae groans loudly before walking off in a huff. Yixing follows him, though remaining three feet away.

 

“I also have to say that you're very y when angry,” the elder notes

 

The younger lets out another growl before turning around rather quickly, causing Yixing to suddenly halt in his pace.

 

“What will it take for you to stop harassing me? Unlike you, I love my job and I don't waste my time on unrequited crushes!”

 

“One coffee,” the elder says with a pleasant smile before explaining further. “And I do love my job. I just prefer handing off the writing portion to some intern.”

 

“Ugh,” Jongdae replies, and Yixing grabs his arm gently, even though the younger seems to dislike any personal touching.

 

“I promise it'll be the most fun coffee date you'll ever have. Otherwise, I'll nurse my heartbreak in the emergency room.” Yixing tells him, though Jongdae doesn't look impressed by the last statement. “In another hospital, of course.”

 

“Fine, 5 AM in downstairs Starbucks. If you're late even a second, you can consider your chance to be gone.”

 

True to his words, Jongdae counted the seconds it took for the clock to turn 5. Unfortunately, Yixing prepared well, in dashing clothes and perfect hair. Jongdae couldn't help but give points to that.

 

The younger still didn't know why he agreed to a second coffee date or even their tenth date, but by that time, he was already falling for Yixing.

 

The best part was when Yixing didn't laugh when Jongdae confessed on the real reason on why he denied the elder so many times. Instead, Yixing nodded and pulled him into a hug, and that was the first time Jongdae realized he picked a great guy.

 

Like any relationship, there are moments when they'd fight, either about Yixing’s constant desires to visit Jongdae during work hours or Jongdae’s lack of affection in public. Yet, neither are reasons that breaks them apart. In fact, they make compromises and Jongdae is learning to kiss his boyfriend without caring of others’ opinions.

 

There are still days when Jongdae will worry over Yixing’s safety. Like when the elder is tasked with capturing a mafia member, or to find a dangerous serial killer. Jongdae tends to check his phone a lot when Yixing hasn't said Hi over a few hours. Though most of the time, it's just Yixing forgetting to give an update or has no time, so Jongdae knows that his imagination tends to exaggerate horrible deaths. Still, Yixing is always understanding, and the multiple warm hugs always make Jongdae fall a little deeper.

 

The first time that a serious injury happens is when Jongdae is too busy to notice that Yixing hasn't texted in 6 hours. At that time, the younger is too busy treating multiple patients while stealing bites of sandwich from Jongin's dinner to notice anything else. He doesn't even notice that his supervisor is sending worried looks until he hears that there was an accident involving multiple cars. Jongdae isn't even assigned in the emergency room, but for some reason, he went downstairs to check on who are the victims.

 

When he reaches downstairs, he sees nurses and doctors rushing about, but also several officers walking around nervously. The moment freezes momentarily for Jongdae as if he can't handle reality yet, but it's soon moving again as Jongdae wakes up from his daze. He's running towards the desk, where nurses register patients and doctors leave their charts. He doesn't even need to ask them because they're looking at him in surprise, as if Jongdae isn't allowed to be downstairs. He just knows that Yixing is here somewhere.

 

Soon, he's anxiously checking the large floor. Maybe Yixing only has a cut, or even a bullet graze. Or maybe the elder is fine, and that he's visiting fellow officers that got injured. Jongdae is too wrapped up in his thoughts that he almost bumps into his supervisor, who seems to be as busy as the others.

 

“Jongdae? Why are you down here?”

 

“He's here, isn't he? Don't lie to me because I can tell. I just,” the younger starts to rant before taking a deep breath. “Is he dead? Is that why no one told me anything?!”

 

“Hey, calm down,” his supervisor grabs his shoulders. “He's not dead. He'll be okay, soon.”

 

“What does that mean?”

 

His supervisor looks uncertain before Jongdae huffs and tries to pull away.

 

“He's still in surgery, and his injury doesn't seem extensive, but you know the risk,” his boss ends up saying.

 

Jongdae must have looked terrified and upset since his supervisor immediately tells him that he's off the clock now. Jongdae can't even complain because he can't even focus on anything else. His only thought is Please be okay.

 

The surgery is supposed to take an hour, but there was some blood loss and Jongdae keeps hanging off his seat in anxiety. When Yixing is finally out, Jongdae hovers near his hospital room, because the younger isn't allowed to treat patients who are like families. So Jongdae can only watch mournfully as other doctors help his boyfriend get better.

 

By the time he's allowed to go in, he's sitting in the chair besides Yixing and he's watching the calm expression in the elder's face. He doesn't know how long he keeps staring, but his concentration breaks when Yixing starts to wake up.

 

The lopsided smile on Yixing's lips makes Jongdae's heart beat a little faster, but the younger is too preoccupied on making Yixing rest better. He's avoiding to look at the elder, afraid that he may show too much emotions from the ordeal.

 

“Hey,” the elder says in a groggy voice.

 

“Is the pillow okay? I can ask the nurse to get you a better one. And you shouldn't depend on this morphine drip too much, I don't want you to develop an addiction,” Jongdae starts to say, his tone wavering at times. “Also the channels usually , but the cafeteria food is good. Just let me know if you need anything, I can get the nurse to listen.”

 

The younger ends his speech by pulling the blanket closer to Yixing's chin, making sure the elder won't feel cold. There's a tremble in Jongdae's hands as if the younger can't feel calm yet, and Yixing notices it immediately. The elder grabs his hand and holds it tightly before making a small joke.

 

“It must be cold for you, since your hands are shaking. Though, I don't understand why. After all, I'm warm enough for the both of us,” Yixing jokes with a small wink.

 

Jongdae freezes at the joke, because any other day he'd laugh at it, thinking that his boyfriend is so lame, but today, he thinks that he'd miss these stupid jokes if Yixing was gone. He'd miss the elder’s stupid smiles and warm hugs. He doesn't realize how sad he feels until he feels tears falling down to his cheeks.

 

Yixing looks guilty at Jongdae's expression and he tries to wipe the younger's tears. Instead, Jongdae pulls away and roughly pulls his hand away from Yixing’s grip.

 

“You didn't even tell me about this case. I thought you were working on some lame robbery case, but instead, you're hunting down dangerous people. I could have lost you today, and the last thing I said to you was that 'You’re an idiot’,” the younger rants heavily. “And you're still that stupid idiot, but now I am too because I'm in love with this idiot.”

 

Jongdae quickly wipes his eyes in anger before exhaling a breath loudly.

 

Yixing tries to grab his hand and this time Jongdae lets him.

 

“You're right. I'm sorry,” the elder tells him softly. “I'll make this up for you. I promise.”

 

Jongdae sniffs at that.

 

“But you should know that I love you too,” Yixing says in a rather soft tone. “And that I'm so lucky to have you, and your healing hands.”

 

He kisses the palm of Jongdae's hand, to emphasize his words.

 

“Yeah, well, I can't treat you because I'm emotionally involved. So these hands will do nothing, but smack your head in meantime.”

 

“Does this mean you'll be my nurse?” The elder teases with a smirk.

 

Jongdae glares at his suggestion.

 

“Because my shoulder hurts, but it'd feel so much better if you'd kiss me here,” Yixing taps his lips while pouting like a child.

 

“Oh, is it here?” Jongdae asks in a saccharine tone before pressing down in the nearby wound. The elder yelps in pain before pouting again at the unfair treatment.

 

“You could just say no,” Yixing mutters before rubbing the ache in his shoulder. “The other nurses would have been happy to treat me.”

 

Jongdae isn't one to get jealous. In fact, it's usually Yixing who gets annoyed because Jongdae's patients are shameless flirts. However, Jongdae is proud of how good he is at his job, and the idea of letting someone else take care of his loved ones is an insult to his pride.

 

So he quickly kisses his boyfriend's cheek, which effectively stops Yixing’s rants.

 

“Well, they're not allowed to treat you. So you're stuck with my horrible nurse hands,” the younger tells him without looking at Yixing's eyes.

 

Luckily, the elder catches on quickly and pulls Jongdae closer, as if asking him to sit on the bed.

 

“I can't... it's against hospital rules to cuddle,” the younger tells him in mild protest.

 

Despite that, Jongdae climbs on and rests his head on Yixing’s uninjured shoulder. Even the small touch of skin makes his worries calm a little. The best part comes after that, when Yixing kisses his eyebrow (because foreheads get too much love) and lingers for a while. He smiles lovingly and Jongdae can rest easy now.  

 
 
---------------------------------
 

If you guys have any suggestions on prompts I could work with, you can submit through here:

Form

There's no guarantee that every prompt will be written so please keep that in mind.